Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/02/2017 03:57 PM CST
One of Ysharra's principal traits is her curiosity, which she comes by honestly, hence this thread:

What are your character's physical attributes, personality traits, and personal quirks? Give me an example of all three, if you can, for as many characters as you feel like sharing, along with the why if you have one.

Attributes:
Ysharra is tall. Ysharra is essentially the Elanthian equivalent of a Valkyrie, complete with a raven harbinger. She's six foot seven, exceeding the maximum for half-elves a bit, and then in her boots and armor she pushes seven feet.

This leads to main quirk:
She often ducks under doorways and leans on things, usually other people. There's no specific reason for her height except for my once thinking I wondered why there was a specific race for Giantmen in this game instead of just having humans/half-humans who are tall.

Traits:
Besides curiosity, Ysharra's main personality trait is being extraordinarily talkative. It's a result of being fond of some rather furtive and severe sorts and thus taking the burden of conversation upon herself, usually by talking until they have no choice but to respond, to either get her to stop or if she's finally managed to hit a subject they're interested in.

Other quirk:
Ysharra often stalks people she finds interesting, as she's pretty sure that they want to talk to her, whether they know it or not.

That's my contribution, how about you?

-GK

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/02/2017 08:24 PM CST
Threads like this are great fun, thanks for starting it. :D

>Physical attributes:
Gavrien cultivates a very deliberate underworld, anti-establishment aesthetic. He's built like an MMA fighter. He wears a leather jacket and big stompy boots. He maintains a permanent state of dark stubble. He kind of has a cross between a street thug and a spaghetti western outlaw thing going on.

Some of this was intended from the start - I had a vague, rough-and-tumble western / El Mariachi image in my head when I was letting this concept simmer a while back. The Brujah biker thug chic sort of grew up out of that and what available clothing options caught my eye early on.

>Traits:
Gavrien is vain. He's very aware that his Faendryl/Shakat genetic cross is eyecatching for some and he'll use this to his advantage liberally (and smugly). Until recently, he was especially vain about his long black curls. (RIP hair. Growing out slowly. *shakes fist*) This trait just popped up organically in early social development as fitting well.

He also generally doesn't give a damn (or so he projects). This one was baked into the character from the start. I have a fair bit of imposter syndrome and I tend to fade into the background and feel awkward outside of narrow territories. I wanted someone who would go where he wanted, say what he wanted, and in particular would give voice to some of the things my inner snarky monologue is constantly spitting out behind the scenes. Most of my characters are actively or at least neutrally friendly, and I wanted to explore playing a character who was a baseline hostile jackass IC but was still fun to interact with for others, rather than crossing over into putting players off. I think I fall short on this one due to my own trait of conflict avoidance, but it's hilarious fun when he gets into it with someone. (Lylia, Divone, and Luceon have all been involved in verbal altercations of the excellent kind, thank you for that.)

>Quirks:
His body language tends to be fairly closed, unless he's being deliberately baiting, flirting, or actively interacting with someone who's well inside his emotional armor, like his sister. He stays off to the side of any social gathering (or avoids them entirely), his arms are often/usually folded, his facial expressions trend toward narrowed eyes, skeptical and sidelong glances, silent smirks.

Similarly, he's very taciturn. While he's not entirely uncommunicative, he cuts corners on his phrasing, dropping a few unnecessary words here and there, and his communication tends to be brief. (Not at all like my usual lengthy, multiple-comma, flowery sentences that verge on run-on.) He's much, much less inclined to elucidate or speculate at length than I am, that's for sure. If he can get away with just a grunt of acknowledgement, he often will.

These go along with the play-a-negative-social-archetype concept as well as the stretch-my-usual-methods idea. The speech pattern is a struggle to adapt on the fly sometimes since my typing habits are generally wordy, and occasionally I slip and he gets chattier or more outwardly engaging than he ought. (Harder for me than just mangling Common entirely like my rogue does.) I like the little behavioral challenges.

His usual companionship (Azryen) has influenced his development. Gav was initially intended to be more abrasive, more of a lone wolf, less forthcoming, and not willing to make friends. I like how their interactions and (reluctantly) developing ties have made him a more complex and nuanced character.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 12:46 AM CST
I'm finding this to be a surprisingly challenging post to respond to. I know that I have all of these things very well defined with Raelee, but I don't know that I've ever had to actually put them in words like this. It's harder than I thought it would be!

Attributes:
I'm told some people find Raelee a little intimidating. She's stared down a knight or two. Yet, she's a little thing. The visual's always amused me. She's probably about 5'2" and of a fairly slight build. Her features, to me, are a mix of porcelain and fire - but there's something about her that's a little unnatural. (It's probably in the eyes.)

Quirks:
I think the whole 'porcelain doll' thing also comes out in some of her behavioral quirks - in that she's very expressionless. Her eyes carry her moods - the rest of her face doesn't move. And, she carries herself very carefully and very rigidly. The closer people get, generally the more rigid she gets. I don't think she actually knows how to relax, physically.

Traits:
Raelee would say her curiosity, intelligence and logic are her most important traits. In fact, she'd say they were the only ones that matter. And despite what stereotypes are out there about followers of Fash'lo'nae, she's also very cautious. Given that she is so incredibly uncomfortable in the Landing, her caution is starting to override her curiosity - and she hates that. She's usually hyperrational - giving that impression of someone who is calm, cool and emotionless. (Though at the same time she seems to have a reputation for a temper! I suppose that's the result of emotional repression.) However, sometimes that can hobble her a bit. She struggles with concepts (like emotions and abstract ideas) that don't fit into neat little logical frameworks. They just don't compute. And of course, this has resulted in very poor people skills. On a related note... she's not too talkative. The exception is, of course, if you get her on a topic that engages her intellectually. That's when she actually WANTS to talk.

Apparently Ysharra and Raelee are polar opposites. Tall and talkative vs. short and silent! :)

Of course the one thing I always wonder... we have these clear pictures of our own characters, but how many people see things the same way we do?

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 01:08 AM CST
These are a good exercise. I did have these thoughts floating around in my brain, but never really pinned them down and put them together in one place.

Attributes:
Edanthiel is, for a Faendryl, rather cute. She’s not exactly pretty and she’s well aware of it. Her half-brother, Gavrien, is almost assuredly better-looking than she is. She’s got aurora-dyed hair (blue and green and purple mixed into the natural black), which is probably her most stand-out feature.

Traits:
Determined optimism, strong curiosity, a mischievous sense of humor, and an obstinate preference for suppressing/blocking out things she prefers not to think about. These have all come out on occasion, including a recent “throw snowballs at Azryen for no reason” moment with Goblyn and a few other people at Hearthstone’s porch. She also got devoured by Raelee's Owly at one point, which upset certain other people far more than it did her. (If you're thinking of roa'ters, it was essentially that!)

Quirks:
She’s a bubbly, friendly, happy character, insomuch as I, her player, can really bear to bring out. She’s prone to hug anyone she’s at all fond of, whether they want it or not. (Hi, Azryen.)

Despite her surface nature, she’s prone to lurking in invisibility and not entirely just to start mischief. She’s a native introvert trying very, very hard to be open and likable.

She tends to play with or chew on her hair when she’s nervous or lost in thought. Also has an unhealthy fixation with airships and a strong desire to visit Ta’Vaalor without getting stoned by the natives.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 01:11 AM CST
Physical attributes

Leafiara is built like a swimmer, strong but also lean--she actually has much greater respect for physical strength than magical prowess and works harder at it.
Over time I've altered many of her clothes to be pure white and bold red, the colors and adjectives that I feel represent her best. Innocent, idealistic, brave, passionate.

Personality traits

Friendly, outgoing, energetic, adventurous, reckless, playful, creative.
Drawn towards distinctive and humorous personalities.
Impatient, impetuous, hates studying.
Outwardly very open and trusting, but secretly often planning for scenarios where she's going to be betrayed since she's seen and been in too many plays.
Also has a hero complex!

All of this comes from two things in her history:

1 - Leafiara grew up in the forest with her sylvan bard mother and her human ranger father. With half-elves' descriptions saying they're "the best of both worlds" with strength and agility, I figured she'd notice she had better physical abilities than the pure sylvans around her and would feel encouraged to develop that unique talent, growing into a very energetic girl. Also, her father stood out dramatically as a human in sylvan lands, so she took much more after him than her mother.

2 - Around the age of 15-18 she participated in theater. Being one of the only half-sylvans made her a go-to for half-elven and human roles, which helped her avoid being typecast and let her develop her acting range. She's generally a romantic about fairy tales or whatever the Elanthian equivalent would be called.

In my mind I have this vague, fun idea where her favorite experience as a performer happened over several months where, by sheer circumstances of cast members leaving, at separate times she played a half-elf, human, and elf all from the same play, who in some order were a captured princess, the villainous mage who captured her, and one of a group of heroic knights out to save her.

(By the way, when I say her traits "come from" her history, that's chronologically true for her but not for me. All I knew about Leafi when I made her was her personality and that she was a half-sylvan from the forest; other than that I've filled in background details based on the way I was playing her, how I was training skills, and how other characters reacted.)

Quirks

She can't wear long sleeves, pants, or close-toed shoes for long without feeling fidgety.

Mostly solid on grammar thanks to her mother's teaching and needing to understand it to become a lyricist, but she's more limited with vocabulary. She does occasionally surprise herself by remembering unexpectedly obscure words.

Leafi has aspirations to become a master cobbler (13 ranks to go!), but she'll never make or even learn how to make high heeled shoes. She wore them once for a theater costume and really did "break a leg"... and an arm... in under fifteen seconds!

AIM: sweetleafiara@gmail.com
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 01:31 AM CST
Attribute:
Azryen is pretty in a very androgynous way. I decided to do this as an OOC homage to Mularos, his patron. I've always been fascinated with androgyny in general, and it seemed to suit what I was going for with the character.

Trait:
He's quiet and watchful. He hangs back in a crowd and is more of the wallflower type, choosing to listen and take most everything in. He's full of opinions, although he rarely shares them. If he says anything at all, it's usually snarky or flippant. I imagine that he stares a lot, rudely, then realizes he's doing so and glances away quickly, as if he's trying to hide his thoughts.

Quirks:
He hides his face with a feature-concealing scarf. I like the cold appearance of his heavy armor and the mystery of the face covering. (Or the once mystery of it, since the mechanics of the item no longer hide his unique line.). OOCly, I really love the aesthetic of a too-pretty badass that most people would underestimate if they saw him
without all the barriers he throws up between himself and the world. ICly, it's all just another piece of this carefully cultivated persona that he hides behind.

He also doesn't touch people, or usually let them touch him. This is mostly for background reasons, as he has trust issues. The few times other people have caught him off guard with touching, or he's reached out, I've tried to make it obvious it was hesitant or really awkward.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 07:49 AM CST

Attribute: Cordaleigh has a very sunny, very approachable air about her. She seldom frowns, has one of those faces that always appear to be smiling. If you could not see her face you may find her intimidating since she is tall, slender and moves with the grace of a hunter.

Trait: Despite her warm friendly appearance she is often rather shy and tends to be rather quiet. Still she will at times initiate a conversation and appear to be right at home doing so. She can seldom carry one on for long though and unless prompted to continue talking , will fall into an uneasy silence. She is most at home alone in the wilds but feels drawn to the hustle and bustle of town. A bit of an outsider looking in you might say. She is generally a sweet girl, always willing to help when asked, which seems a bit at odds with her often dry sense of humor.

Quirks: She hates trolls, orcs and all of their allies, but especially trolls. It is a deep burning hatred completely opposite her generally friendly disposition. It goes well beyond her involvement with the GOS, she could care less about their cause. She just signed up so she could kill more trolls, more efficiently. She obsesses over their deaths, the more painful, long and drawn out, the better. She spends a great deal of her waking hours hunting them down, yet no matter how many she kills it is never enough. Why this is she doesn't even know, if you asked her she would simply respond "Because, they are trolls." Perhaps if there were hypnotists in Elanthia they would discover some repressed childhood memory or trauma.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 09:12 AM CST
At first read this seems like a simple request, but, as Raelee's player stated, it's sure not as easy as it seems. I've been playing Radeek now for 20+ years and he has run the gamut, from the side of might and right, to the dark and shady. But here goes, I'll take a stab at it.

<What are your character's physical attributes, personality traits, and personal quirks? Give me an example of all three, if you can, for as many characters as you feel like sharing, along with the why if you have one.

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES

Radeek is tall, for a human and he has exceedingly long hair (uncommon for a Tehir male) that he keeps braided and tied with a bowstring. The left side of his face, from brow to jawline, is covered with tribal scarring. Even though he is tall, he is also exceedingly agile and his movements have an element of "grace" to them. When stalking, he is as quiet as a shadow.

PERSONALITY TRAITS

Radeek is quiet, for the most part, due to his quirk, which I'll cover in quirks. Due to this quirk most people tend to think of him as not being overly smart, which couldn't be further from the truth. While he has had no formal education, and until recently he could not read or write much, he is actually quite intelligent. Also, until VERY recently, he despised everything to do with the Empire. Contrary to popular belief, Radeek is very thoughtful and decisive in his actions and deeds, but he also carries a grudge and is not above defending any underdog he comes across, even to the point of violence. He is also quick to anger, especially when it comes to someone messing with his friends, whom he holds very close. He is as loyal as they come, but when he is done with someone or some thing, he is very unforgiving. He has a soft spot in his heart for children (especially orphans, since he can relate to that), but wants none of his own.

QUIRKS

Radeeks biggest quirk, even though he has a few of them, is his pattern of speech. He absolutely butchers the common language, to the point of being nearly unintelligible at times. This has led to some misunderstandings, especially when others use his speech pattern to jump to the conclusion that he is rather slow in the head. If anyone has ever heard him speak in Tehir, they would know that he is quite intelligent and very eloquent in his speech. He has been working on this though, and has begun correcting his manner of speech, but it is a slow process.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

www.radeekandoran.blogspot.ca
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 01:19 PM CST
Attribute
Seo is definitely a gamine, though presently her hair is a bit too long because it's been a tough few years, lol. She's fairly tall for a human but I don't imagine her as imposing at all, particularly because she is incredibly freckly. Like, imagine as many freckles as you can, and then add a little more than that :)

Trait
In large crowds she is usually quiet, but among groups of friends she's quite animated and outgoing. She can be impatient and jokingly waspish but is usually able to contain true irritation or anger. She used to be a lot more trusting but several years of getting burned have made her much more wary of strangers, (especially ones with gifts!).

Quirk
She puts on a fake accent to cover up her upper-middle class childhood, but drops it occasionally, like when she's talking to Argent Mirrors and such. Since marrying a half-elf, she's become more dismayed at the prospect of her short life-span relative to his, and unconsciously brings it up a lot in a joking-but-actually-serious way. And she loves to stomp her feet by way of greeting friends, and is incredibly pleased that it caught on.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 04:23 PM CST
Hmmm have to say this is a hard one for me to answer about Pup. Probably turn this around and ask all of you to give their impression of others as i always find it interesti g what others views on who Pup really is.

Attribute

Pup is tall for a human and pretty young counting what all he has done. Kenstrom has not been kind to him as pups eye and hair color has changed over the years.

Traits

Pup takes his jobs very seriously no matter what it is. Right now its mayor afterwards he is focus on bringing nature back to talador. He can be a recluse and have no issues going off to hunt alone or sit alone. While he has no issue giving his opinion in a crowd or speaking in front of a group he is just as happy being the quiet one in the corner.

Quirk

Pup has learned a lot from his animal companion wolf named Aatu. One is his need to protect the pack. At first the concept of pack was pup and his closest friends. As stories have gone on and pup integrated into the community more he extended the concept of pack to all of landing. He will and have given his life to the protection of the town as the town is more important then Pup.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 10:22 PM CST
I always love these types of threads.

Attributes:
Rowmi is tallish, around 6'2". He's lithe but wiry, a product of a life of working long physical hours on a farm with not quite enough food. He takes after his Sylvan father in build, but his features are closer to his Human mother. He keeps most of his skin covered except for his neck and face, because he sports a hide of scars due to his childhood 'training.'

Traits:
He is incorrigibly curious and nosy. If a subject interests him, he will seek out the people he thinks will be useful in educating him--especially to further his studies and sharpen his budding mentalism--and relentlessly bother them until he is satisfied. He tempers this with a mask of cheerful optimism, and he is as kind and charitable and friendly as he can be. If he is too polite to someone, he probably doesn't like them. Few people have learned that underneath his sunny demeanor lies a simmering anger and regret bubbling up from his past. He is fiercely loyal to the Landing which he sees as his chance at redemption, and will fight relentlessly to protect the innocents there, though this idea has been made very murky in recent years, and he is pretty much settled on guarding the orphans and letting everyone else fight it out.
His naive sense of morality has been eroded over the years, and trust is at a steep premium. He will do almost anything to gain what he thinks is right.
He takes calculated risks, but man, is he bad at math.

Quirks:
He loves the stars. His idea of religion is that everyone has a star in the sky that leads them on their path, and morality is painted in muted hues.
He gestures with his hands a lot, scratching his scruffy cheek and rubbing his neck and expressing with his eyes.
He is prone to bouts of silliness. His moods are mercurial; he feels deeply but doesn't brood long.
He absolutely loves animals, especially roltons, and potatoes.
He used to refuse to sit down unless he felt absolutely safe--he still feels a bit on edge in a crowd if he is not on his feet.

This was a fun exercise. I'm enjoying reading about everyone!

Thanks!

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/03/2017 10:23 PM CST
I always love these types of threads.

Attributes:
Rowmi is tallish, around 6'2". He's lithe but wiry, a product of a life of working long physical hours on a farm with not quite enough food. He takes after his Sylvan father in build, but his features are closer to his Human mother. He keeps most of his skin covered except for his neck and face, because he sports a hide of scars due to his childhood 'training.'

Traits:
He is incorrigibly curious and nosy. If a subject interests him, he will seek out the people he thinks will be useful in educating him--especially to further his studies and sharpen his budding mentalism--and relentlessly bother them until he is satisfied. He tempers this with a mask of cheerful optimism, and he is as kind and charitable and friendly as he can be. If he is too polite to someone, he probably doesn't like them. Few people have learned that underneath his sunny demeanor lies a simmering anger and regret bubbling up from his past. He is fiercely loyal to the Landing which he sees as his chance at redemption, and will fight relentlessly to protect the innocents there, though this idea has been made very murky in recent years, and he is pretty much settled on guarding the orphans and letting everyone else fight it out.
His naive sense of morality has been eroded over the years, and trust is at a steep premium. He will do almost anything to gain what he thinks is right.
He takes calculated risks, but man, is he bad at math.

Quirks:
He loves the stars. His idea of religion is that everyone has a star in the sky that leads them on their path, and morality is painted in muted hues.
He gestures with his hands a lot, scratching his scruffy cheek and rubbing his neck and expressing with his eyes.
He is prone to bouts of silliness. His moods are mercurial; he feels deeply but doesn't brood long.
He absolutely loves animals, especially roltons, and potatoes.
He used to refuse to sit down unless he felt absolutely safe--he still feels a bit on edge in a crowd if he is not on his feet.

This was a fun exercise. I'm enjoying reading about everyone!

Thanks!

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/04/2017 08:01 AM CST
Oh, what a fun thread! Love reading the answers so far, and I'm so glad you started it, Ysharra. I'll take a stab at it too.

Physical attributes: Lylia is fairly tall and acts as though she's taller. I do think of her as attractive, but not with the pout-lipped, doe-eyed, soft, neotenous kind of beauty that could be described as girlish or sweet. She absolutely has RBF (something she and I have in common). Her skin is pale, something she used to privately rue as un-Faendryl but has come to embrace as distinctive. A lot of her wardrobe combines stiffness, sharpness, or armor-like layered elements with luxuriously touchable fabrics, and that's more than just a random theme in my alteration ideas; wardrobe can tell a story, and I want her to look both unapproachable and appealing -- someone you might enjoy hugging, if only you could manage it without endangering yourself.

Traits: She has a sensitive moral compass, but its cardinal points don't necessarily align with others' ideas of true north, so she's learned to keep a lot of her thoughts to herself; not everyone would appreciate her methods even if they agreed her motives were noble (which, frankly, a lot of them wouldn't, depending on how they feel about the Faendryl). Courtesy and charm are currency to her, and she spends them lavishly. In return, she hopes to buy all sorts of useful things -- secrets, access, knowledge, status. Or rather, that's how calculating she is in theory. In practice, she reluctantly finds herself more sympathetic to people than she believes she should be, and that sometimes gets in the way of her coolly utilitarian outlook. She's only 430, after all, and hasn't yet toughened up all the way. (Also, from an OOC perspective, I can enjoy playing a schemer and manipulator but don't actually want to be one.)

I'm tempted to say more, but I can't spill all Lylia's tea, now can I?

Quirks: I don't generally use contractions in her speech, and there's a reason for it. She learned the Common tongue hundreds of years ago from Emporion relatives of hers who brought back colorful new phrases along with their cargo of tea and spices. Having watched the Common tongue evolve through many generations of shorter-lived races and across great distances, she sticks to the most neutral and commonly understood forms of it for clarity's sake. If called upon to do it, she can mimic a number of different accents.

- Loves almond cookies; hates lemon cookies
- Laughs at her own jokes, sometimes aloud
- Never gets drunk and dislikes any loss of control
- Can't pass a mirror without taking a look
- Cherishes her laundress, who somehow manages to get the demon ichor and cerebralite fluid out of even her finest silks
- Feels chagrined that she isn't half the demonologist her husband is (why won't they listen to her?)
- Has a wretched sense of direction
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/04/2017 12:26 PM CST
Starchitin is pretty well defined as far as his character, though he's also constantly evolving over time just as I have IRL. His core personality has remained the same, but his values and interests have changed gradually over time, as have his antics, as he's had new experiences and met new folk.

Physical attributes: Short, even for a gnome. Even though he's a forest gnome, most Burghal Gnomes and Halflings are taller then him (he was created on the very first day gnomes were available and comparative height info wasn't easy to find, by the time I did find it, it was too well established in his character to change). I think of him being a gnomish midget (spare me the PC garbage, using the word "dwarf" would just cause confusion). He also had a broad chest (for his size) and strong upper body from constantly using bows that were designed for bigger individuals.

Personality: Impish about sums it up. When I very first started playing him he was shy and skittish and I intended on playing him very close to the documentation on forest gnomes. That lasted about two weeks before he became an odd combination of Bart Simpson, Bender, and Cartman without me even realizing it at first. He enjoys finding annoying folk, pushing their limits, and intentionally shocking them (either for fun or personal gain) especially elves. He's used every tool at his disposal to do this from imitation, throwing his voice, limerics (just about every macro space is used up with the ones I've written over the years for him, most of them horrible), climbing in backpacks/cloaks, etc. In the uncommon instance someone manages to turn the tables and start annoying him, it's well known that he'll pee on their boots/shoes/feet (no one's safe from this, adventurers, merchants, GMs, and even raffle tickets have all been peed on).

All that said, he's very loyal to River's Rest and anyone that calls it home. That doesn't mean they're exempt from his antics, quite the opposite. In his mind, though, he's the only one allowed to annoy them.

I've said before and it's completely true that when I'm playing him, I'm NOT running the show, he is. Half the time stuff gets typed out and the enter button is hit so fast I'm as surprised as everyone else at what shows up in the story window. If anything, I just reign him in when he's getting close to taking a flying leap over the line and peeing on it on his way past rather then just straddling it (not ALWAYS successful, but those incidents earned him RPAs so I don't feel TOO bad about it).

Quarks: He enjoys targeting elves more then any other race, it's not so much that he doesn't like them (good luck getting him to admit that) as he sees them as having a superiority complex and need to be knocked down a couple (dozen?) pegs.

He also habitually stretches the truth or outright lies about gnomes and gnomish culture both for shock value and because it's his way of keeping gnomish secrets from the other races. Over the years, he's claimed that gnomes give birth to litters like a cat or dog rather then single babies, that he has up to a dozen wives and doesn't even bother remembering all their names (sometimes referring to them by number), gnomes are the true rulers of virtually every city/town in Elanthia and operate similar to the Illuminati (obviously not using that term), etc.

Lastly, he has his own speech patterns that I've never really bothered setting hard and fast rules for but is pretty much consistent. It's mostly expressed as contractions being deemphasized (don't=dun, won't=won, can't/cannot=cannae), but can also be seen some word pairs being combined and bastardized (going to=gonna, give me=gimme).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/04/2017 03:59 PM CST
The hardest part of this, at least for me, was choosing which character to share. But here's one of my lesser-knowns:

Physical attributes: A trained fighter, Raethir possesses a thin, lean build with wiry muscle. He's long of limb and rather tall, which has served him well in many a street fight in the past. In contrast with his otherwise hard features, his heavy-lidded eyes give him an easy-going, even lethargic appearance. However, seeing him in motion will prove that he is anything but lazy: he moves fluidly and swiftly, with cat-like grace.

Personality: Outwardly friendly in general with an easy grin, much of the time. But when his thoughts turn to battle or competition, all smiles fade as he focuses all of his being into the defeat of his opponent(s). At such times, he can be downright cruel.

Other Quirks:

- Has a tendency to keep his hands in the pockets of his coat, if he's wearing it.
- Loves to fish. If he happens across decent waters, he'll often stop whatever he happens to be doing at the time to bait his hook and have a go.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/04/2017 08:45 PM CST
Attributes:
I see Kayse as being between 5'7-5'9. She is muscular and toned--but not chiseled, there is still softness and curves to her. This is due to her time being a slave and leading a lot of scouting trips out to collect supplies. She is agile and graceful--leaping, flipping, dancing....but she can not curtsy to save her life.

Traits:
● Wears masks depending on who she is talking and interacting with. Her general demeanor is abrasive and standoff-ish, but she can open up to the right person, especially if there is something she can learn from them.
● She is always observing and only speaks when she feels is necessary. Her face often remains impassive but her eyes will show how she's truly feeling--along with her wings.
● Despite her tough exterior, she does care about others and wants to be cared about in return.
● Believes you can constantly be learning and growing as an individual, which is why she finally left River’s Rest, to pursue her talents and become stronger as a person.
● Has a quick temper, but has learned to deal with it over time. Plus Rowmi often calms her down now before she reaches for a blade.
● Found a passion in writing and storytelling, she prides herself on telling history and lore to anyone who wishes to hear.

Quirks:
● Hoards green sapphires and green tourmalines.
● Has a lot of trepidation when being around children--or did.
● Very protective of her friends. She keeps very few close to her, but she will definitely have your back if you’re one of the few. She is naturally protective of River’s Rest, its citizens, and most other Aelotoi.
● Due to her time as an assassin and spy, she always has a dagger concealed on her somewhere.
● Loves flowers, but most importantly the language behind them.
● Since she loves magic as much as she does--Kayse always carries around a bag of magical scrolls and items for almost any situation. She believes in being prepared and self sufficient.
● Coming from nothing, Kayse tends to hoard clothes and accessories. She aspires to always dress nicely and present herself as her best.

That is as much as I care to reveal :)

~Kayse's figment of her imagination.

Some townspeople wander by, looking twice at Kayse and Rowmi, shaking their heads, then wandering off.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/05/2017 09:37 AM CST
Kaldonis is quite small, I suppose about meter tall. As he usually has over 100 pounds of junk in his cloak if unphased, I mostly imagine him dragging the tail of his very oversized and overstuffed cloak behind him with at least one hand.

His small size made him easier to slip through Shieltine's Ward by sorcerers of a modern era, tattooing instructions on him and shoving him into the past via Lorae'Tyr to explain the arts of demonology to the Faendryl in order to ensure victory the Undead War. Kaldonis eventually stumbled out of Lorae'Tyr into the recent past.

That's why he's as crazy as a bat.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/05/2017 01:50 PM CST
>Probably turn this around and ask all of you to give their impression of others as i always find it interesting what others views on who Pup really is.

Ooh, gladly, since Pup has been a very important character for me. To both Leafi and me Pup is probably the best example of a lawful character who contrasts with why she can't be one; she thinks of Pup as someone who's holding himself back too much to be as effective as he should be. The key moment comes to mind when Pup walked into the outpost one night and saw the further-aged Larsya, said he wished he'd been there to plan better, said something to the effect of "Always the innocent get hurt," and walked out.

Ever since then, because of that one key word "always" and because of how quickly he left, Leafi thinks Pup is stuck in the past and haunted by history--and it all lines up in her head as to why he's always telling stories about past events. Now, that same night Pup did also say the only thing they could do is move forward... But to a character who very easily shrugs off the past because she's not a utilitarian, it rung hollow to her coming from him and seemed less like a leader stepping up to lead and more like a long-suffering person trying in vain to convince himself.

I'm pretty sure Leafi has never called Pup by name, only referring to him as "Mayor." At first, just like she only calls Dennet "Grand Magister" and only calls Raelee "Magister" (when she refers to Raelee at all, which is rare since she finds Raelee more terrifying than Chaston), it was a sign of distrust. She has a very low opinion of authority figures and thought Pup was more of the same because she believed he wasn't doing enough to take the offensive against Chaston. (Which OOC is because of Kenstrom's schedule, but neither she nor I knew that at the time.)

She's gradually warming up to Pup, though, because in more peaceful times she sees signs of humanity when he cracks jokes. He also has a relationship with Maags that she's always found charming. So when she doesn't call him by name, by now it's actually because she feels very sorry for him and is trying to be encouraging.

In other words, "Mayor" went from meaning "you're a figurehead and I don't like you" to meaning "remember you're the people's twice-chosen mayor and show more confidence."

(And I don't know what she'll call him when his term is up. Like what Starchitin said, I rarely know anything about what Leafiara's going to do until she goes off and does it.)

Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/05/2017 06:55 PM CST
>At first, just like she only calls Dennet "Grand Magister" and only calls Raelee "Magister" (when she refers to Raelee at all, which is rare since she finds Raelee more terrifying than Chaston), it was a sign of distrust.

Raelee's just a softie at heart... I promise!

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/05/2017 09:53 PM CST
>Raelee's just a softie at heart... I promise!

And quite fun to be sort-of-but-not-really friends with. <3
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/05/2017 10:28 PM CST
Sadly pup was not in during the planning stages (damn rl lol) or he would have loudly protested against using her. He tells his stories more to show people that rashly made choices got us to where we are and maybe a moment to sit back and think through may yield better results. There is the part too ooc that i the player decided things not directly about the town like this girl is times i will take a step back and let others take more a leadership as i dont want to hog all the limelight. Pup has had many times during two years to lead and has done so.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/06/2017 04:11 AM CST
The Xorus character has always been a quiet, shadow-in-the-background figure whispering bad things in the wrong ears. He got one of the mayors assassinated by the Council of Light about fifteen years ago, for example, just for the sport of manipulating things and the Bathhouse ended up getting destroyed in retribution. The lack of loquaciousness is more of a limitation on my part, but he regards most people as insects and has no interest in most of what goes on with "human politics."

>Physical attributes
Xorus is tall with dark skin and silver hair, like you would expect for a Drow. His eyes are violet instead of glowing red, which is a subtle allusion to the Lords of Essaence having violet eyes, and his surname is Iruaric for "Shadow of Death." He looks "ancient" and is 1350 years old, though that was prime of life when I originally set the age. (I will probably end up making him a few decades younger in a couple of years so I can keep the "ancient" descriptor.)

When wandering outside the Southron Wastes he dresses like your typical Nazgul. Shadowy black hood, cloak, and all that, including gauntlets and a moonstone diadem under the hood (which according to archaic lore would glow red with Lornon.) The accents are usually silver. At the moment I have his traveling decorations lockered to reduce encumbrance, but ordinarily he would carry weapons, only rare exotic metals like urnon which I'll probably never be able to ensorcell. When he's eventually post-cap some day, I will train him up in those skills, so he can unexpectedly be passable at two weapons combat as a sorcerer. His philosophy on the matter is that you may not always have access to magic. This is partly extracthonic realism. Though his unrepressed rage does find it uniquely satisfying to physically destroy things.

He has left "the good china" back home in terms of artifacts and ceremonial garb, where he would either blend in with Ta'Faendryl norms, or depending on the audience wear something more disturbing. In the frontiers it is a lot of vruul leather with horrific images etched into it and lots of strange necrotic haze.

>Traits
The general recent history framework for Xorus is that his powers were largely stripped with a failed attempt at breaching the Drake's Shrine prior to the Chosen getting in with Terate. The Ithzir made him re-live that experience probing his mind last year. His strength is only gradually returning, so he's not nearly as dangerous as he was a few decades ago, and that is a smoldering fuel of hatred within him. It irritates him knowing he cannot break these insipid and insolent adventurers on a whim like he should be able to, so he prefers being around more ordinary commoners who are terrified of him or cultists who know better than to push their luck.

There are two levels to his demeanor. His surface persona is the dark and mysterious expatriate who plays at being a wandering Faendryl scholar, while what he really does all day is deal with the worst kinds of organizations and powers. He spreads "dark magic" and forbidden knowledge where it can do the most damage, authoring things that should be burned under pseudonyms. He's rational and pragmatic on one level, but deeper down he's a nihilistic fanatic, who wants the world torn apart by demons. He's lawful evil within his own order, neutral evil when interacting with strangers, and chaotic evil with what he tries to make happen around him.

He's a sociopath. In one situation he will pretend to not understand human customs and irrational democracy compared to the eternal lawful order of our transcendent empire, with the kind of lazy racism you would expect of a provincial who does not have experience with the world, but breathlessly turn around and tell some human like Grishom Stone "we should have murdered that Palestra and used the death to" blah blah blah. (That's a hypothetical scenario, it has not happened yet.) There are all kinds of examples where that happens. He will be seemingly moderate on the subject of half-elves so long as they do not breed back into the bloodlines, which sounds cosmopolitan coming from a Faendryl, but it's actually because his Dark Elven supremacist cult performs all kinds of depraved breeding experiments on prisoners.

>Quirks
When Elves introduce themselves they'll usually name their House in their surnames, like: "I am Inigo Montoya Ashrim, you killed my family. Prepare to die!" Xorus resists calling himself "Faendryl", and avoids revealing anything about his provenance. In fact, he does not even have a first name, which is why Rodnay addresses him as "Dreadlord." His cultural background is Faendryl and he speaks the language, but he has no direct standing in Faendryl society, because he has always been apart from it. His world view and instincts are shaped by having been born into an Ur-Daemon cult hidden behind a secret society for aristocrats, which would presumably fall under "the Senary" outside the Pentact, so he slips up sometimes by casually being way more malevolent and sadistic than would make sense for a civilized aristocrat.

For example, when the Ithzir showed up and he recognized that they were using Grishom Stone's child transmogrification magic to open a portal, his solution to the whole situation was to use a Tehir spirit caller to summon the soul of Estrion to seal the wards between worlds, which would have been fine except that we had not paid the debt of his last favor yet: Killing Sheru. So his plan was to use the soul to lure Sheru into the moon chamber of Melgorehn's Reach and blow up the mountain. He wished to keep Estrion's soul for himself. More recently, when people were studying the blood of Dennet's wife without control groups, the obvious answer to him was flesh golems in her image or human breeding pits with the wife thrown into a glass coffin for a few decades. This does not strike him as something he should filter out.

- Xorus' player

>Level: 46
>Strongest foe vanquished: an infernal lich
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/06/2017 02:58 PM CST
Everything I learn about Xorus only makes me appreciate him more.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/07/2017 08:47 AM CST
"Everything I learn about Xorus only makes me appreciate him more."

No kidding, especially considering I think Ysharra's spoken to him all of once in the middle of a crowd. A fascinating response among many, some unexpected- thank you all for sharing details about your characters, you all helped illustrate what I've already noticed or shown me a few hidden gems that make me all the more curious.

Reading through has me feeling like I was a little sparse in my own initial offering, though like Lylia's player I don't want to be too revealing. As I said in another forum not long ago, the main reason I came back is witnessing the creativity of my fellow players- fun, yes, and awe-inspiring often enough to keep me rapt with appreciation.

Thus, I'll answer a little more and then change the subject in a new post shortly. I am glad you all have shown interest in these and I'll try to start them regularly.

Attributes: Ysharra is a standard-issue Nordic sort, blonde, pale enough to blend in with snow, and her clothing choices support the overall "Norse Mythology Barbie" theme I've got going with her. Lots of mithril, fur trims and frost/ice patterns on her various items. This blends over into a trait- despite being very vain to the point of preening outwardly, Ysharra is very self-conscious about her appearance and thinks herself as being too far from elven, Faendryl or even human to be remotely comfortable with herself. Playing that part of her is sometimes difficult for me, despite her being a stereotype, I think of Ysharra as being my most physically striking character and I've spent a lot of time and effort detailing her as such. She can be very seductive, sometimes on purpose, sometimes as meaningless flirtation, and sometimes without being at all aware of it.

The above-mentioned awkwardness leads to my next trait/quirk: Ysharra's background as an escaped slave and a half-elf makes her a little desperate for approval and also violently sensitive at times. When she first arrived in the Landing, she was illiterate and could barely speak Common, and she's gone through a lot of effort to educate herself. Thus, she gets a lot of satisfaction from impressing someone with her observation skills or historical references, the few times it's happened. A Faendryl or Dhe'nar commenting on her being a mongrel is the proverbial water on a duck's back to her, but calling her ignorant when she's not being purposefully silly is likely to make her stalk or slink off to brood.

-GK

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/07/2017 11:28 AM CST
> "Everything I learn about Xorus only makes me appreciate him more."

Here's Luxie's Xorus story.

I stepped out of the East Tower and a nasty little velnalin startled me as it tried to bite a male! "When are these gates going to be fixed?!" I wondered to myself.

Before I could even take the next breath, the dark elf put the creature down. BOOM! Just like that with some sort of magic spell.

"Thank you kindly for saving my life." I said to him.

His smile was very thin as he responded back to me, "You are welcome."

"I am Lady Luxelle Machtes Ashrim, Bardess of Elanthia," I introduced myself with a curtsy since I had never met him before.

"I am Lord Xorus Kul'shin, sorcerer," he introduced himself as well.

I bid him be safe in the night, he assured me he would.

... and I left with my life!

:)

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/08/2017 06:44 AM CST
The velnalin just died in his presence, all he did was breathe on it! It was torn to shreds.

And he was suffering Spirit Guide nausea. Otherwise he would've killed it with his eyes.

- Xorus' player

Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/08/2017 05:06 PM CST
I'm going for a round two of this, like Ysharra did. This is still for Leafiara!

Personality traits

I've already mentioned that Leafi respects physical strength more than magical strength and that she hates studying. Another trait is that she has a pretty low opinion of every Arkati other than Cholen (Tilamaire is not an Arkati) and is very skeptical of their power since cleric magic can still be blocked by antimagic fields like anyone else's. So all of this raises two questions:

1) Why is she a cleric?
2) Why is her cleric magic as powerful as it is? (Not that she's the greatest or anything. For the past 1.2 million experience I've left her frozen at 1.85x spells because I'm that stubborn about RP.)

For the second question, she's a natural prodigy. Even though she can't stand burying her head in a book, she learns very quickly when she does--and she can also learn a lot simply by observing other clerics. And, yes, her quick learning helped with her theater past as well!

The first question involves her backstory, which has more far-reaching consequences than just her becoming a cleric...

She was killed at seven years old in a traumatic incident, gored by a black boar after she had run off into the forest to gather herbs. (She didn't see the boar, however, as it attacked from behind and killed her instantly, and for all she knows she touched a poisonous flower.) She lay there alone and scared for a few minutes until a cleric arrived and saved her with healing tinctures and magic. From then on, she vowed to be able to save lives as well and become the same salvation for others--and the involvement of tinctures is also why she (and I) had the patience to become a master alchemist.

You can tell from what I've said about redux and alchemy that I try to harmonize gameplay and RP... And for the most part dead children in this game can't be resurrected, with the sprite quest being the exception. So this too became part of her story, as her parents knew her second chance was a rarity and raised her to believe that she was allowed back for a reason. That's why she'll do ludicrously reckless things like volunteering to be bait for snipers targeting half-elves, offering to have herself killed in front of a large crowd and then cast Miracle to prove that the Arkati don't think half-elves are cursed, or telling Crux that she'd be glad to get smuggled into the cleansing camps (that was before she was taken there not on her own terms). After all, the Arkati obviously want her here, so what's to be afraid of?

She can also look down on people who she thinks are cowardly. Her most notable antagonistic relationship is with Archales just because he once implied to her that she should stay off the battlefield. At the time, she really should have--she was like level 48 and swinging at crusaders--but the fact that Archales was strong enough to go out there but was hanging around in a safe spot stirred up all her anger to head out there. (And the black blood was making it personal too. She had frustrations to work out... with a waraxe!)

Lastly, another core belief for her is that the world requires and rewards quick action of the kind that saved her life. In fact, most of the reason for her friendly relationship with Crux comes from off-hours RP-that-isn't-even-really-RP, where he and Leafi are often two of the first to fog to fallen adventurers. So she sees him as a kindred spirit of a quick rescuer, as opposed to people who stand around talking and planning a lot without taking action.

Quirks

-Has an extreme sweet tooth and just a bite of chocolate or candy will make her swoon. She'd probably fall for a poison trap put on sweets as fast or faster than any halfling.

-Doesn't understand in the slightest how to communicate with children and freezes up around them.

-Though she's unafraid of death and does put herself at risk with dangerous plans, she won't intentionally hurt herself and is surprisingly straight-laced about avoiding alcohol for that reason, though occasionally social situations can pressure her into it with some work.

-She'll go way over the top with apologizing or making amends if she thinks she's hurt someone who she wants to have a positive relationship with.

-My portrayal of how she understands romance has changed multiple times since I started playing her.

At first she was completely ignorant about it because 1) she's asexual and 2) she grew up in a sylvan forest. The wiki says about sylvankind that "Females are the most numerous, though males are not unheard of." That sounds to me like a very skewed gender ratio and I figured it would have a huge effect on the culture there, where either romance would be downplayed or mostly female sylvans would be the ones courting and flirting, having to work harder because there are fewer males. Even if not for that, Leafi left the forest at a human coming-of-age of 18 and to the sylvans she was probably just a baby, so I figure no one even thought of courting her in her childhood home.

She was a character without any exposure to romance and even decried it as madness, saying it was better to share love and time among many friends instead of being "obsessed" with one.

Over time, there were so many Landing characters trying to flirt with her that she had to figure it out at least a little bit. She befriends a lot of people with warm demeanors too and gets smooches, snuggles, and tickles and has really opened up emotionally. (I don't think she snuggled anyone back for six months, but now a day almost never goes by that she doesn't.) So at some point she became a character who had hilarious misconceptions about romance and thought it was about licking cheeks sloppily. Because, ya know, that's what people do in the Landing!

But then I "learned" that she had a history in theater and thought she must have at least seen something of it in plays even before she came to the Landing at the age of 25. So at this current time she thinks she vaguely understands romance. Kinda. Possibly. Whether she actually does, well... that remains to be seen!

Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/13/2017 11:42 AM CST
>What are your character's physical attributes, personality traits, and personal quirks? Give me an example of all three, if you can, for as many characters as you feel like sharing, along with the why if you have one.

Another great discussion! This is definitely pulling on more introspection than I anticipated. I'll focus on Alisaire, as she is my main character and likely the most recognized.

Attributes:
She's fairly typical in appearance for your classic D&D/drow-based dark elf - black skin, white hair, and (true to Dhe'nar stereotypes - existing for a reason) violet eyes. In terms of stature, I've always seen her as so unremarkably average that when we had the ability of having the 'height' field set to blank, I jumped on it. That's a standard that has since changed, but it's honestly the best feature 'alter' I've ever gotten and I'm glad that it is allowed to remain as is. As much as I appreciate the new body build feature options, they're likewise not appropriate for her. It seems completely redundant to read, "She is average height and average build." Let's just hop straight to apparent age, please?

The only real oddities that have evolved over the years is her preference for short hair over the traditional braid (it's much less in the way), her appreciation for subtle tattoos (including those covering her arms), and a bit of unfortunate scarring that still persists (thanks to a character defining encounter with several former allies).

Traits:
Like many lawful evil introspective types, Alisaire is pretty standoffish. There's only a few individuals that she lets get close to her, literally or metaphorically, and even then she still tries to keep up the semblance of a barrier.

She's careful in her articulation. She readily enjoys a healthy debate, but if it does not seem like a venue where nuanced give and take would be appreciated, she generally refrains from contributing in too many discussions.

Both fiercely independent and a staunch traditionalist, she's often at odds with herself in how she embraces interpersonal relationships and her culture in general.

She does have a somewhat sadistic streak, if only in the sense that she'll enjoy poking at a nest of hornets just enough to see what unlucky person stumbles across them right as they're ready to emerge. This has led to some interesting encounters, and some unfortunate situations.

Underlying all of this and referenced above, she's a bit of a lonely loner and a perpetual schemer. What few actual friends she has she holds in high regard yet rarely indicates that she appreciates them. For many others, it's usually a feigned display of familiarity and support while she observes each encounter from a detached vantage, either engaging in idle amusement or simply seeing who might be useful and for what purpose further down the road. It's this last trait that I sometimes shy from as a player; I do try to be conscientious of the players behind those characters who might not fully realize that it's Alisaire who is taking advantage of the situation, true to herself, and not me actually upset at something.

Quirks:
I know I've mentioned it before, but one of the defining quirks that Alisaire has is that she actually never lies. If she does, it's because I - the player behind her - overlooked or forgot something. Instead, she'll attempt to talk circles around whatever topic is at hand, insinuating or implicating through partial truths until the difference between fact and fiction is almost impossible to discern. While this has always been a quirk of hers, it's evolved to be especially fun for me to play out as the ultimate homage to her patron. How better to show appreciation for the Lord of Lies than deceit through truth? I'm so glad she's not a real person.

Secondarily to that, she is over seven hundred years old. She has a lot of character story that I've fleshed out over the years that predates me rolling her up 15+ years ago. It's a challenge for me to play someone with that extensive of a perspective, but it's also very rewarding. It's likewise led her to have either a low or a high opinion of others based on how they act at a mere fraction of her own lifespan.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/14/2017 12:30 PM CST
I struggled with this exercise for several days. Asking "What would Naamit do?" feels painfully contrived. She's my only character that didn't originate with a plan in mind. Despite this, her personality also seems immalleable.

Physical Attributes: Naamit is short of stature for giantkin and wears tall heels to accommodate. She is built more like a human wrestler and has a large posterior. She frequently wears a girdle to give some shape.

Quirks:
+ If standing around, Naamit frequently shifts her weight from one hip to the other
+ She tries not to eat in public as she doesn't want to entertain commentary (she isn't embarrassed about her size as much as she doesn't appreciate the attempt at mockery)

Traits and Personality: I've come to the conclusion that Naamit isn't a good person on the inside. She is a mixed bag of nuts. She is outwardly vain and haughty but inwardly quite unsure at times. Her inner dialog is rampant. Never happy, but can be amused. She swings to cold and aloof. She finds a great deal of pleasure in others' misfortune and is quick to rub salt in wound. She doesn't take mockery well though. She tries to be measured and calculating, but seems prone to making rash decisions and having violent outbursts. As a result, she tends to have a lot of doubt after significant interactions. Naamit will brood over seemingly insignificant issues yet callously discard those that matter- people included.

She guarded and allows very few close to her. For those she lets in, Naamit is fiercely trusting, loyal, and generous. Naamit enjoys learning secrets and hoarding knowledge, so loresinging is of great interest to her. She will go out of her way to sing to items, even for her people she dislikes, simply for the love of unlocking a hidden gem. These may be the only reasons she has any friends.

Quirks:
+ She only smiles at people when extraordinarily pleased (current count since November: 4). When Naamit smiles, know that it's genuine
+ Naamit doesn't drink alcohol
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/14/2017 01:11 PM CST
Kippe

Attributes:
Kippe is an inch or two over 6'. Though he isn't noticeably muscular, he is well conditioned. Lean and mean, but not so mean, really.

Traits:
He isn't one for public displays of affection. I've set his demeanor to reserved/cold for some characters in order to prevent them from the hugs and smooches they have given. In fact, most of his 'friend' list is made up of those who have done so. I'd set his demeanor to reserved/cold to prevent it from happening but, in all honesty, he isn't really cold or reserved. He just doesn't like to be hugged or smooched by casual friends. There are really only a few people he feels close enough to, to allow them to do so.

Quirks:
Kippe loves foraging for flowers and plants. This has fallen to the side since the introduction of so many non-foragable ones. At one time, I believe he'd collected most of the ones that were out there and relentlessly searched for the very rare ones.

He is also fascinated by the stars, planets, moons and other phenomena of the universe. At times, I hesitate pursuing this because there is a grey area in the documents about what contemporary astronomers believe. Are there other planets visible in the sky? Is Elanthia a 'flat world', as was thought of our own for generations? Do we know what the stars really are?

~EC
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/14/2017 04:01 PM CST
<<At times, I hesitate pursuing this because there is a grey area in the documents about what contemporary astronomers believe. Are there other planets visible in the sky? Is Elanthia a 'flat world', as was thought of our own for generations? Do we know what the stars really are?>>

The lore can get ambiguous whenever you scratch it too hard for internal consistency. With the planets you have a situation where they are named in Dragonrealms, but not referenced in the current GSIV documentation. (It is unclear if Bre'Naere is in the same solar system, I think it should be but mostly for instrumental and really archaic reasons.) Indirectly, Alusius and Adyra were able to calculate the timing of the Confluence's arrival to Elanthia, based on when it had passed Bre'Naere. That would be impossible if astronomers did not know where the planet was relative to Elanthia with a solid idea of distance scales and the traveling speeds.

In terms of 20,000+ years ago the planets in the solar system are depicted with metal globes in Aramur's room in the Wolves Den. At the very least that implies the concept has existed, and if I remember correctly it also depicts stars surrounding them, though in-game stuff is not always consistent with later documentation. Like Liabo has forests and rivers if you look through the Seethe Naedal telescope, because it was made when the moon lore was different. Similarly, the world is depicted as a globe in the Broken Lands, but that is not modern. I doubt the Elves have ever figured out stars are balls of gas. We wouldn't be using a four elements theory.

The Elves lost some history in the Undead War, because the library was sacked and then documents were badly maintained for thousands of years, but the idea of round planets and possibly heliocentrism is something that should have been retained as basic knowledge by the Loremasters. (One of the quirks of the dominant Drakes-Arkati mythology is that you would not expect laymen to believe Phoen is the sun or is what drags the sun through the sky.) We know Elanthia is circumnavigable by ship from one of the half-Krolvin documents, I pressed Scribes on the point when it was released and he acknowledged it established Elanthia is round.

Um.. not to, like... derail the thread or anything. I would never do that... *pushes glasses up nose*

- Xorus' player

Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/14/2017 07:13 PM CST
<< We know Elanthia is circumnavigable by ship from one of the half-Krolvin documents, I pressed Scribes on the point when it was released and he acknowledged it established Elanthia is round. ~Xorus' player

Very good to know! Thank you for that!

~EC
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/14/2017 10:25 PM CST
Everyone gnome knows that the stars are the sparks sent flying from one of Gibbleton the Great's failed experiments.
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/15/2017 12:15 AM CST
<<Very good to know! Thank you for that!>> - ECROCKEN

The document is "The Colonies of the Half-Krolvin". The "Geography of Colonies" section says you can reach the Shattered Continent by sailing either east or west.
https://gswiki.play.net/The_Colonies_of_the_Half-Krolvin

Aside: The DragonRealms and GemStone IV moon lores are actually really deeply inconsistent. The notion that DR is just GS in the future is pretty dubious.

- Xorus' player

Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 02/15/2017 12:53 AM CST
>> Aside: The DragonRealms and GemStone IV moon lores are actually really deeply inconsistent. The notion that DR is just GS in the future is pretty dubious.

THIS.

Or we're missing really important pieces.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)
Re: Attributes, Traits & Quirks 03/09/2017 11:16 PM CST

Late to the party, but, I'll play...

Attributes:
Berkana is likely around 5' 8" or so. Not quite as tall and lithe as forest elves, she's a voluptuous Faendryl with her own style. She dresses in obvious and revealing clothing, which people predictably interpret to mean she's indiscriminate, but in reality she's a serial monogamist and doesn't have as massive a scorecard as many imagine — which is very amusing to her. With her long white hair and unique pale complexion, as well as her tendency to blurt out irreverent comments, she can come off as a pale-haired bubblehead — but it's a mask that hides her intelligence, sharpness, and awareness. She might play clueless to draw more information out of conversations. Her slender ears sport little decoration, so as not to draw attention away from her stunningly green eyes and pouty lips.

Traits:
Generally, Berkana is friendly, or at the least, initially polite. Those who cross her might still find she is polite, but below the surface, they are nothing to her. She rarely cares what others think of her or how they judge her, wasting little energy on the worthless. To her friends and lovers, she is fiercely loyal and trusted. Her heart might be easily won with kind words and sweet talk, but they need to be genuine and sincere. Her ability to suss when people are fake or false is inate. Berkana is highly intuitive, though holds no claim to foresight. She is also frequently correct in her assessments of people and situations, which can be a bit wearing — she does not wish to remind people she warned them of possible missteps. As such, she's more inclined to listen than to talk, though she will counsel if asked.

Quirks:
She loves to touch everything... more often than not, flowers and textured surfaces. She's a very tactile person, has deft fingers, a practiced flexibility given she practices magic primarily.
Sometimes she'll use expressions of puzzlement or exasperation — staring off, rubbing her eyes, covering her face, pinching her nose.
She has become huggy later in her life... sorta ew... but she's just not the ice queen she once was, after decimating the existence of an Eorginan acolyte that tested her patience. She spent a few years detached from others as she sought solace and respite in Eorgina's graces, for permanently ending another's life, and emerged a softer person.
While she can be warm and welcoming, those on the wrong side of her nature will find she can be cold and cutting. She has no respect for liars, emotional manipulators, or psychological twisters.
She loves the stars and moons, spends some time watching them. She has special places over the world where she hides when feeling most vulnerable, rather than allow people to see that side — only those closest and intimate with her know where she goes to retreat. Like when sitting under the moons/stars, all of these places serve to ground and anchor her as she ruminates and repairs.
She embraces change, rather than fear or fight it. Sometimes to her detriment, she enjoys a challenge. Learning is important.
Controversially, she's embarked on the path of shira'qa — pet to a Dhe'nar. So far, what she has learned about the culture has been fascinating, and what she has learned about herself has been a pleasant bonus.