Genders 03/15/2015 11:36 PM CDT
I have a non-gender specific login on purpose. I play both male and female characters and I strongly feel that other players should not be able to detect the player's gender. I have five female characters and seven male characters. Each character has their own quirks, ranging for Vandolh's nasty, b
ness to Ryvell's boy scout-like demur. Magarven is a madcap social event and Battery is a one-woman wrecking machine.

In real life, I ghost write blogs and articles under the guise of a 35 year old woman who has two children. I am a man with three children and until recently, I was a stay at home dad. I write about a surprising number of topics that are typically the purview of women.

Does anyone else play opposite gendered characters? Does anyone feel very comfortable doing this?

Magarven the Mad
Re: Genders 03/16/2015 01:36 AM CDT
Certainly not to this degree! I [doff my cap||offer my hand for recognition] of your 'mad' skills. Phenomenal.

Doug
Re: Genders 03/16/2015 10:12 AM CDT
>> Does anyone else play opposite gendered characters? Does anyone feel very comfortable doing this?

This was discussed on the officials a few years back (good luck finding the discussion now).

I play male and female characters and don't have any discomfort with this at all. My starting point for any character is a general concept of what I want to play (profession, characteristics, quirks, etc) and then selecting a race and gender that plays well with what I am looking to create.

The discomfort area would be if my characters were to get into a romantic relationship with someone who was looking for/expecting something beyond a relationship with my character. I pretty much avoid this scenario with my characters altogether by establishing a strong relationships with one of my wife's characters or creating a character that isn't very inclined towards/likely to get involved in that particular situation anyway.

Since I'm not 'looking for love' on Gemstone (although I did meet my wonderful wife via Gemstone some 25 years ago) it's pretty easy to avoid getting into any weird areas playing opposite gender characters and it has been interesting at times to see the differences in how some of my female characters are approached/interacted with vs. my male characters.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Genders 03/18/2015 04:29 AM CDT
I presently have three characters I play. Two are male and one is female.

I think that, for a lot of people, it is most common the first character made is the same gender as the player. I'm not saying this is a hard and fast rule, but I'm fairly confident this is the case more often than not. I think later people start exploring roleplaying more and pushing their own concepts out further, and they explore this option as well.

The biggest gender issue in GemStone, to me, is overbearing nature of male characters towards female characters, again as a general observation (which obviously does not apply in every case). Welcome to real world problems manifested in a fantasy world. Or gaming in general. Or the internet.

In all my years playing, I've never actually had anything like a romantic relationship form between my character and another character. The closest ever was early on for me, perhaps around 1998. Our characters were fairly compatible and got along well, but I think when we determined she was 45 and I was 15 that there was something off about it, so our characters just sort of remained friends instead.

I don't know if it has anything to do with all of that, but my main character these days has so many issues that it would fairly boggle my mind if he ever got into a romantic relationship at all. There are a few other characters he likes (I can think of two off-hand in the 4 or 5 years since I returned), but I am quite confident it is not (nor should be) requited. Oh god, let's not play the guessing game of who Kaldonis has a crush on...gross.

Back to the main topic! Personally, I think anyone with more than a couple characters should explore a different gender for their next character. It's yet another interesting aspect of roleplaying to explore, so why limit yourself?

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Genders 03/18/2015 09:36 AM CDT
I play characters of other sexes and genders, usually subversive of class stereotypes. For example, I might play a viciously man-hating Eorgina worshipping sorceress who bathes in blood, which solves the most likely problem. In contrast, Xorus would only ever see sense in a goddess who wished to kill you, but he is warped with theology. I tend to make my first character male, my "primary secondary" character female, and after that whatever suits the vision for the character.

The way they get treated differently is amusing. I've considered making a Mularos worshipping empath out of morbid curiosity.

- Xorus' player

A grizzled old warrior rubs his shoulder and glances up at the sky. "Feels like the weather is changing," he says.
Re: Genders 03/18/2015 01:38 PM CDT
For what it's worth, one of the biggest compliments I ever received as a GM was someone asking for the name of the female GM who RP'd my female NPC.

As a GM, I've jumped into female form quite a number of times, and as a player, I had one lovely lady.

GM Scribes
Re: Genders 04/03/2015 10:07 PM CDT
I personally follow a rule of strict separation between player and character. I find it most rewarding to play characters with a great deal of contrast to myself. And although I play only one character and he happens to be male, in the past I have played several female characters. In fact, I played a female warrior as my primary character for years back in GS3 (Aysia, for those of you who remember her.).

I would say I find it a bit more comfortable to play male characters, however. If only because I find it easier to avoid the romantic attentions of other players. I consider it a bit of a cop-out on my part, as roleplaying romantic relationships is almost certainly the most difficult aspect of playing a believable character. But frankly, I think I lack the artistry to pull it off. Worse, I find that players have a very difficult time being honest with regard to their feelings when it comes to what are supposed to be strictly roleplayed romantic relationships. More power to you if you can pull it off, but while I've heard the claim made many times in the past I can think of only one couple that pulled it off convincingly without blurring the line.

Thus Aysia was practically asexual - a bit of a stiff, very on her honor and unapproachable in that sense. And Taverkin is very child-like, as if he has no understanding of romantic involvement whatsoever. It goes right over his head.

Maybe getting a little beyond the scope of the topic, but it IS the "thoughts on roleplaying" folder!

~Taverkin
Re: Genders 04/04/2015 11:13 AM CDT
>>I played a female warrior as my primary character for years back in GS3 (Aysia,

No way! It's always such a delight to see this type of information, especially when it can't be used.

Doug
Re: Genders 04/04/2015 04:34 PM CDT
>>Does anyone else play opposite gendered characters? Does anyone feel very comfortable doing this?

Yes and yes.

This isn't normal!
What do you mean this isn't normal!?!
This is way worse!!
Re: Genders 04/04/2015 05:37 PM CDT
<No way! It's always such a delight to see this type of information, especially when it can't be used.

Now this makes me wonder who YOU played back then. I don't recall Dionket and Aysia having much interaction, if any. But it has been a long time!

And what exactly would you use this information for anyway? LoL

~Taverkin
Re: Genders 04/05/2015 09:24 AM CDT
I have to agree with your post, Taverkin, particularly the digression into romantic roleplay.

I'm terrible at it, and I make it a point to play characters who are as unobtainable as possible, for whatever reason. There's no way I could handle that as a female character. I enjoy writing female characters, as a writer, and I've given tremendous thought to actively playing a female character in order to flesh out the characterizations and whatnot - but no, not in this social environment where relationships are practically expected (at least, that is my observation). No, no, no. Not remotely interested, not remotely interesting, and potentially more stressful than it is worth, for what I pay to play.

On a side note, I think you did a fantastic job with Aysia. I always, always admired that character, back when I was a newb fresh from the forest.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Genders 04/05/2015 12:33 PM CDT
Wondering doesn't hurt!

And, as to 'use it for anyway', I wouldn't. I may be painting with a brush labeled unfair, but I don't share the connection between characters that I portray because each of them is separate, and I work hard to keep them that way. And as a result, this is one area where I tend towards the conservative approach with other players.

Doug
Re: Genders 04/05/2015 08:36 PM CDT
Thanks for the compliment, Bill. Always a pleasure to hear my attempts at roleplaying are appreciated!

~Taverkin
Re: Genders 04/14/2015 08:50 AM CDT

Yes and Yes. I've played all sorts of characters and genders. I find that they're all a little bit of me in some way too. My second or third character back on AOL was a male. I rerolled him not long in into to my female rogue (who became my main for several years before Ary-), but many years later after a name purge I recreated him.

A fun but no bs pirate bard, a rogue who was social but still cold hearted;
Aryleste the kind, mediating cleric & Millicent the silent, extremely shy/ self-conscious empath.

And at least 3 male characters. One the aforementioned dark elf I modeled after Jarlaxle (except the bald part), he's a self serving jerk but he can be charming too if he wants to be. A priest (of Onar?) who's just an arse to everyone, and a wee sorc who never really got to develope a personality.

Now there's the new one, another cleric (of Goseana), who's just cold and figures everyone's going to die, so nothing really matters (although if she gets poached again she's going to be the one to kill the guy.) Some capped fellow looks at her the other day and tells her that her hat is hideous, I just shrugged, he nods, I walk away. Was pretty amusing though.

Why I have never really developed those male characters is mostly time and money (as I'm always in and out of the game due to money - I devote the time I have to my already semi-developed characters or whomever I just enjoy the most at the moment. Still, I know they have great potential when I finally do get around to them!

As far as the romantic side, no, none of them female or male would ever be looking for anything behind close-doors.

Ary, well yeah it would have been nice for her to find someone but with my here 2-3 months - gone for 6 months to a year habits, it would be horribly unfair to the other person or myself to develop anything but then very seldom do those opportunities arise, so it balances out.

Aryleste- et al
Re: Genders 04/24/2015 06:55 PM CDT
Years ago, I played a sweet by crazy (yes, Zelian) character. I never had any interest in involving her in a romance. She didn't even grasp the concept. Someone tried to flirt with her one time, and every time he smooched her or kissed her hand, she'd ask why he was drooling on her. Didn't take long for that to stop!

~GM Liia
Team 3P/T&C ASGM, Events Manager

Elanthia's derpiest rolton bleats anxiously!
Speaking to Elanthia's derpiest rolton, you say, "Oh, shut it."
Re: Genders 04/27/2015 06:10 PM CDT
>Years ago, I played a sweet by crazy (yes, Zelian) character.

Never really figured out the appeal of the insane Zelian. My main is still the one I created as crazy, something around the year 2000. I started him as worshiping Zelia but this quickly lead to a sort of dead end for me. How would an insane character know they were insane enough to worship a goddess of insanity? That's not to say I've really worked out how a sane character would be likely to be a follower of Zelia, either.

I eventually settled on an Imaera necromancer, which seemed like something credible for the insane character to think was fine, but many other characters would think is pretty off. Though, for a variety of reasons, since around 2006 when he became under Imaera (and I didn't play much from 2002 to 2006 I don't think), he's turned into much more of a demonologist than a necromancer. At the time this was more mechanics, but now most of his backstory is finally set after about a decade, and although he goes in for most aspects of sorcery, I think he's more a demonologist than a necromancer if I was forced to choose. I've also been re-thinking whether I want to convert him to Niima instead of Imaera, but there's a sort of polytheism thing going on here.

I'd consider bantering about how a demonologist wants to convert to Niima but, this entire present post is pretty off-topic from genders!

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Genders 04/29/2015 03:19 AM CDT
I love how you run Kaldonis. It's been absolutely captivating to see how he's grown since I saw him last. He's just about my favorite sorcerer currently running.

But if you want to think about the appeal of a Zelian, think about how I played Kaith. You take a character with deep flaws (always makes for fun roleplaying), traumatic events, then you layer on top of it a combination of a Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing sort of grand hallucinatory adventure and combine it with a touch of cartoon.

Recipe for a whole lot of emotion and very very fun to roleplay.
Re: Genders 04/29/2015 12:22 PM CDT
>I love how you run Kaldonis. It's been absolutely captivating to see how he's grown since I saw him last. He's just about my favorite sorcerer currently running.

Wow! Thanks...

Re: Genders 05/05/2015 01:50 PM CDT

I personally play a number of male and female characters. I do so outside of Gemstone as well. I play female characters often with my gaming groups outside of GS or online gaming. I've also played characters of all sexual orientations and also of varying personality. For me role playing is not only fun but a way to explore different portions of the psyche. To step into someone else's shoes and see how they are for a while. I also never assume a GM's female character is a female GM or the reverse.

My main does tend to be the most like me and is the longest running character I have played in GS. It's a preference thing. Explore it as best you want... but if you do decide to attempt romantic entanglements, be aware there is someone out there on the other end. It isn't like playing D&D and hitting on the GMs npc tavern wench.
Re: Genders 05/08/2015 06:22 AM CDT
>My main does tend to be the most like me and is the longest running character I have played in GS.

This always makes me laugh for a variety of reasons. In some ways, my main character and I share some particular traits (I'm the one who manifests the character, after all). On the other hand, while we might share the same gender, there are so many other differences it's hard to say he and I are alike much at all.

The trick is finding characters with a good blend of similarities and differences. Gender is an easy one to point at since, for most people, they may identify with one of the two binary options available in GS. Unlike race where we are all basically humans, and the professions are mostly too fantastic for the real world (besides the squares, perhaps). This is basically why exploring a large range of options is the best way to finding combinations which happen to work well (which tends to be difficult to foresee, at least for me).