Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/22/2021 04:41 PM CDT
I don't know where this should be posted, if here or on the wiki or somewhere else. I was advised to post here to discuss or request updates to the Official Timeline of Elanthia. The official documentation has a 17 year gap of current events ~2004 to present. Getting this updated would show that yes our game is still alive, here's where we stand. Summation of recent history would be helpful both for new and returning players to understand where the game world was, has since been, and gives clues to where it may be heading.

Document in question is found on play.net and also the wiki at: https://gswiki.play.net/Timeline_of_Elanthian_History

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/22/2021 05:52 PM CDT
Agreed!
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/22/2021 09:29 PM CDT
+1

One of the greatest aspects of GS is the lived in history it has built up. Would love to see it documented in the timeline.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/23/2021 03:13 AM CDT
I'm making no attempt at writing this in a polished or self-contained way, but these are a number of relatively significant geographic or political or "world threat" historical events.

This is skimming over things. The kind of stuff that might go into it. There's any number of other things. Thurfel, Red Dreamer, etc.

5121: Bidding war among the nations of Elanith for the Manticore, a huge metallic construct built by burghal gnomes, turns violent when the weapon is stolen by krolvin from Glaoveln.
5119: The witch Raznel, once Naimorai Kestrel, who was responsible for the blackblood plague and the destruction of Talador, is killed while attempting to turn the whole world into the Bleaklands, after having been discovered to be responsible for the deaths of numerous Emperors, royal family members, and high-ranking imperial nobles throughout history.
5119: Valley of Gold Summit results in an entente, a treaty of friendly relations, between House Illistim and the Turamzzyrian Empire, following Talador relief efforts by the Illistim.
5119: Nazhor, the "Meek" of this Elanthia responsible for maintaining the balance of parallel worlds, is killed after failing in his plan to collapse the barriers between worlds. The new Meek of this world is Elspie, a former member of the Imperial Drakes.
5118: Naval forces of the lords of Estoria raid Glaoveln with plinite pylon warships. Czag Dubra Kragnack is slain with a poison developed by the Alchemist, Praxopius Fortney, adapted from the demon blood magic of the witch Raznel.
5118: House Vaalor demands territorial concessions from Wehnimer's Landing and Icemule Trace for previous grievances. The Turamzzyrian Empire grants the repatriation of an elven settlement near the Red Forest to the Elven Nations, and Icemule Trace grants freedom of movement to the Vaalorian military in its environs and airspace in perpetuity.
5118: Theft from the Library of Biblia of a Chronomage book on time magic leads to Chronomage time tunnels interacting in an unauthorized way with transportation rote magic across the continent, greatly expanding their ranges at the expense of the Chronomages.
5117: The lich Vindicto is slain at Old Ta'Faendryl.
5117: Very large meteor is caught up in a huge spider web over Elanthia before crashing into Mount Aenatumgana.
5116: Prelate Chaston Griffin under the manipulation of the witch Raznel and his Blameless crusaders inflict a plague and pogrom on half-elves, kidnap the Northern Sentinel Earl Jovery of North Hendor, and detonate a blood marble obelisk intended for Tamzyrr that instead annihilates Talador turning it into the Bleaklands. Emperor Aurmont declares his intention to eventually get Chaston's Edict revoked in its entirety.
5116: Complication during a lunar alignment of Liabo and Lornon results in the Red Forest returning permanently, becoming present in mirrored form on both sides of the DragonSpine mountains.
5115: The Elemental Confluence, an interplanar nexus of the prime elemental planes, reaches Elanthia years after passing Bre'Naere, and becomes anchored after being halted with elemental soulstones by the Aelotoi madman Alusius. Elemental instabilities permanently open and wander the continent.
5115: Wehnimer's Landing is declared a protectorate of Tamzyrr and Talador is declared a protectorate of North Hendor. Earl Jovery orders the construction of a Hendoran fortress outpost in the grasslands outside Wehnimer's Landing.
5114: War of Shadows. Elithain Cross wages war on the Turamzzyrian Empire with urnon golems, demons, and the aid of the krolvin warlord Kragnack. He is slain under Melgorehn's Reach. The primordial demon of chaos, Althedeus, is destroyed in a ritual by Palestra Blade Aralyte.
5114: War of Shadows. Earl Kestrel of Chastonia and Earl Hurrst of Estoria are assassinated. Lord Kuligar of Talador is assassinated before being coronated Baron, but is discovered to have already been dead and replaced by the now deceased shapeshifter Deylan, resulting in a war between Talador and Wehnimer's Landing
5114: Caylio Javilerre Illistim, husband of Illistim monarch Myasara Illistim, is killed. It was an accident in a botched assassination plot against Myasara by Caylio's sister Hycinthia
5113: King Qalinor Vaalor is coronated.
5113: Emperor Aurmont Anodheles declares Aurmont's Edict, that "no individual within the Empire who bears a drop of human blood should be treated as less than human."
5112: The Felstorm of Teras Isle is expanded toward River's Rest. The Heart of Jaston, a relic with the power to halt the storm, is recovered from the remains of Raukturga, a lich of the Horned Cabal found under Gattrof Mountain. The Heart of Jaston halts the Felstorm and destroys an avatar of Luukos in the eye of the storm.
5112: King Tyrnian Vaalor is assassinated by Tiope Ysinia Vaalor, a Lord Legionnaire Commander under the control of the lich Vindicto. Lord Legionnaire Commander Qalinor Falustro Vaalor becomes Steward of Vaalor.
5112: The Star of Khar'ta, also known as the Galestone and the Eye of Ta'Ashrim, is rediscovered near Wehnimer's Landing. Illistim Loremasters are imprisoned by Wehnimer's Landing, and later kidnapped and killed by krolvin raiders, chilling relations between Myasara Illistim and the West. The krolvin warlord Krentuk is killed by his brother Kragnack. The Star of Khar'ta seems to be destroyed, but is later discovered in the Sea of Fire by Grishom Stone.
5109: Chaotic instability in the Rift threatens to expand it, and Master Hierophant Haukragg of Icemule's Cleric Guild is rescued from the (newly discovered) Scatter.
5109: Solhaven is destroyed in a cataclysmic flood, and then reconstructed.
5107: The Purple Nectar potion plot by the kiramon against the Elven Nations is foiled when a cure is devised with alchemy.
5105: Sankir the Bloodfist is slain.
5104: Cysaegir is founded when House Illistim gives the abandoned town of Glimae'den to the Aelotoi refugees.
5103: Baron Lerep Hochstib, juiced up on Mandis Crystal, is slain by adventurers. Emperor Aurmont invests his sister Delphinuria Hochstib as Baroness of Jantalar. Mestanir is released from the control of Jantalar, now governed by Baron Seurdyn Moraughton Chydenar. Earl Eddric Jovery of North Hendor is appointed as Northern Sentinel.
5103: Empress Mynal'lyanna Anodheles is assassinated. Her cousin Aurmont Anodheles ascends to the throne and is coronated Emperor.
5103: Dwarven alchemists cure the Red Rot.
5103: The Aelotoi arrive on Elanthia through a portal from Bre'Naere (another world in this universe), discovered to have been altered and enslaved by the kiramon, after the kiramon were banished by the elves 15,000 years ago. (Note: This portal was originally intended to have been created by a resurrected Estrion, but this was never explicitly stated.)
5102: The world is threatened by the Vishmiir, extraplanar undead who feed on the thoughts of the living, who had previously been banished during the Elven Empire. The Vishmiir are banished again, and the incident (triggered by Lornon's Eve) appears to have maybe been an experiment by Fash'lo'nae.
5101: The overland trade route between Wehnimer's Landing and Ta'Illistim through Zul Logoth is opened by the elven monarchs of the United City-States.

Errata:

This is just a quick spot check of the existing timeline document. There may be other errors if it is looked at more closely. I'm not in the habit of shining spotlights on mistakes in documentation, because they're relatively harmless when left unnoticed. But if this one gets added to again, some of it can also be fixed.

5098: "Stones of Virtue", not "Stones of Power". There were thirteen Chosen. There were also more than seven of them at the finale scene when Risper and Terate were killed in April 1998. So I'm not sure where the wording on this is coming from.

5097: The Griffon Sword pieces (Griffin?) were recovered in August and September 1996.

5095: The Dark Reaver was 1994, not 1995.

5093: The earthquake might have been 1994, but I'm not certain. There's a newsletter gap for late 93 and early 94.

4873/4892: The dates of Wehnimer's Landing founding and Kezmon Isle being lost are backwards.

4081/4941: Glaoveln is spelled wrong. Glaeve is a settlement on Glaoveln.

3945: I do not have a problem with this date, as it is interestingly close to the mountain invasions and collapse of the Kannalan Empire. But the older History of Elanthia document did say this happened 2,000 years ago, and this is only about 1,200 years ago.

157: This date is inconsistent with the reign of Caladsal in the later Illistim monarch document, which begins in 442 Modern Era and ends in 723 Modern Era.

-15,185: The Undead War dates are contradictory across several documents. There is no easy fix for it.

-45,293: I do not have a problem with it, because their history is oral tradition. But this has Tahlad leaving long after the Houses formed, and Korthyr had probably been dead for thousands of years by this point, given the wording of the Faendryl history document from 2002.

-47,689: Sharyth Ardenai is male here, but female in the older History of Elanthia document.
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/23/2021 06:17 AM CDT
Pretty sure the earthquake was either very late 1994 or early 1995. The 1995 HSN Auction was a fundraiser for silvers so the town could make repairs and install a gate, rather than having a gap there that we could just walk through.

(I arrive at this timeline by knowing that I got here too late for the 1993 Auction, attended the one in 1994 to drool over all the goodies, and then knew what was going on by the time the 1995 one rolled around. But I would be willing to be corrected--that the quake/repair happened the year before--just because I really don't recall for sure.)
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/23/2021 01:10 PM CDT
Looks really good Xorus!
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/23/2021 11:18 PM CDT
<<Krakii>>

Zepath's wilds map dated December 28, 1994 has the breach in the west wall. Kulthea Chronicle Vol. 1 Iss. 3 refers to the earthquake in a couple of different spots, which is May/June 1994, but there's no clear indication of when exactly it happened.
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/24/2021 12:15 AM CDT
> Kulthea Chronicle Vol. 1 Iss. 3 refers to the earthquake in a couple of different spots, which is May/June 1994, but there's no clear indication of when exactly it happened.

I'm guessing April-June would be your range then. Those were headline news items, and the publication liked to stay on top of the news :)

My memory is no good to get you any closer to this.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/24/2021 09:49 PM CDT
That's just the thing. They're past tense references in random articles, not in the news items sections.

Which is why I'm wondering if it happened in the Dec 93 - Feb 94 newsletter gap.
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 07/26/2021 07:54 PM CDT
Xorus' player - thanks for already shining some light on the historic paths with your amazing timeline input.

Thanks everyone for commenting and hashing out the details/dates/etc as best you can. There is no better time than the present, while people's collective memories are fresher than they will ever be again. And before old logs get lost/ruined/corrupted. Or anyone else gets really sick and can't be here any longer to contribute.

Terabor and the other chars who share my same defunct brain as their controller :)
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Re: Update Requested: Timeline of Elanthian History 08/11/2021 12:04 PM CDT

I just want to say this idea and add on timelines are great.