Week/Month? 08/17/2020 09:17 PM CDT
What is the Elanthian word for week? For month? For day?

The days of the week all have names as do the months, but if I wanted to say to someone "Meet me here in one months time on Volnes at the Hour of Phoen" I have this modern english word muddying up my Elanthian(ish) sentence. I have used "in one moon" before(I did tonight which brought this back up in my mind), but that seems very clunky.

Are there Elanthian terms for the passage of time?

Avaia, player of
Re: Week/Month? 08/18/2020 03:13 PM CDT

Good question! I use MOON for month myself. Many times I've said ' Hail friend, nae seen ye in many a moon!

Now we need DAY and WEEK.

Goldstr
Re: Week/Month? 08/18/2020 03:43 PM CDT
You're going to give me DR Flashbacks!

I love that GS does not try to replace words which are universally understood with random euphenisms, or worse, brand new terms.

Day, Week, Month, are critical words for meeting up, planning events, talking about things that happened, inviting people, and communicating clearly.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: Week/Month? 08/18/2020 03:59 PM CDT
I will ponder, and give you my thoughts in three and a half qisrtuish from now.
(So, at 8:30pm.)

Though I suppose I need to find something for "three", and even "half". Maybe also "now"....
Re: Week/Month? 08/18/2020 05:05 PM CDT
What's interesting about using 'moon' for any sort of length of time is: Elanthia has 2/4 moons... so, which one are we counting time by? How fast do Lornon, Liabo (and it's daughter-moons Tilaok and Makiri) revolve around Elanthia, and are they consistent in their revolutions enough to actually count time with them?

(Some GSWiki research later...)

Ahhh, it looks like Lornon has roughly a month's time worth of an orbit, whereas Liabo has a week's time of an orbit. (Source: https://gswiki.play.net/Elanthian_Moons )

So, maybe we could use Lornon for our monthly time-keeping and Liabo for our weekly time-keeping... a day could be the normal sunrise to sunrise (or, possibly, specific-moonrise to specific-moonrise).

Otherwise, I agree. It's kinda weird using 'month' and 'week' when we've got very Elanthian words for days and months, and even names for certain times of days.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Week/Month? 08/19/2020 09:03 AM CDT
I'm with Luxelle on this one.

The days of the week and months of the year were altered because they stem from RL figures, numbers, and deities. The words Day, Week, Month, and Year do not carry the same origins.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Week/Month? 08/19/2020 09:27 PM CDT
+1 Luxelle and Naamit. English terms referring to a length of time are much preferable to arbitrary made-up words for clarity in planning. We also default to English terms for other measurements such as miles, hours, minutes, seconds etc, and I definitely would not want to have to memorize and translate an Elanthianized version of every duration, weight, and measure.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Week/Month? 08/20/2020 08:45 AM CDT
Ya buncha yellowbellies!

Avaia, player of