Lockers 08/19/2016 02:33 PM CDT
So running low on arrows, I decide to get a bundle I'd stashed in my locker in the Landing. No problem, pop over to the annex in the Moot Hall, grab them, and go about my business. Except...the hall with house lockers there is gone...

Twenty minutes of searching Moot Hall I give up and check the Wiki, where I learn they've moved to some place called Ebonstone Manor. Ok, pop over there after having to spend 15 minutes searching the Wiki to find out where it is and only finding the location with the aid of a google search.... and NO BLOODY DOOR FOR BEACON HALL!

Getting frustrated, another ten minutes of scouring the Wiki and two google searches later I finally find my locker and get my arrows.... AND HAVE TO SPEND ANOTHER FIFTEEN MINUTES FIGURING OUT HOW TO GET OUT!

So, when yea all find tha stench of pee on EVERA surface of tha Landin Annex, I dun wanna hear yea whinin! Good luck gettin if off tha ceilins...

Starchitin (making a rude gesture before leaving)

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lockers 08/19/2016 02:44 PM CDT

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Cooperative%20Houses%20of%20Elanthia%20(CHE%60Great%20Houses)/Beacon%20Hall/view/120
Re: Lockers 08/19/2016 03:10 PM CDT
I'm aware of that NOW, but I'd have gone to SolHaven and moved my locker before even starting to look through past forum posts for something that may or may not be there. Enjoy the stench.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lockers 08/19/2016 03:41 PM CDT
I show your annoyance about playing 'find the lockers' when travelling to different towns with some of my characters that are in houses where they have established their own annex.

Personally I think the lockers should be accessible from the house annex OR the public lockers location.

Actually, I think I will start a thread about just that.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Lockers 08/22/2016 08:07 AM CDT
> Ok, pop over there after having to spend 15 minutes searching the Wiki to find out where it is and only finding the location with the aid of a google search

Why was it 15 minutes? The WL Annex map is on the Beacon Hall Archive gswiki: https://gswiki.play.net/Beacon_Hall_Archive

I know you don't use lich, but it's all in there too, including narost maps and puzzle-solving methods.

The map is also on our website, since shortly after the release. We had a tour near the release as well, as was linked. http://www.cns.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~daid/bha/index.php?Map

http://www.beaconhall.net is the quick way to find our website, and we keep it pretty up to date.

I appreciate your frustration and I like the solution to make the lockers accessible by more than one means. During the pre-release, Elidi let me also sit in there about fifteen minutes before I got out.

This issue particularly relevant for returning players for example, but I think as for active members we do a pretty good job advertising things. Though I'm surely biased, I think Beacon Hall is the best houses in respect to available information and methods to access our lockers (our own webpage, lich, gswiki). The only points we're lacking are east of the Dragonspine...

I'm not really sure what more we can do as officers of the house to help, besides posting the puzzle solutions to our website and to gswiki (which I will do later today). If you have any suggestions on how else to make this easier for members or where else I can put information, please let me know.
Re: Lockers 08/22/2016 08:12 AM CDT
PS: For people that do use lich, you can ;go2 bhalocker for many towns. This includes RR, WL, FWI, IMT, and possibly Teras. Need to add Zul, TI, and TV still. Solhaven cannot be done, though, because the warehouse rooms are all identical and it's far too difficult to add into the lich mapdb.
Re: Lockers 08/22/2016 02:56 PM CDT
<Why was it 15 minutes? The WL Annex map is on the Beacon Hall Archive gswiki:>

The 15 minutes was to find Ebonstone Manor, because there was no mention of it at all on the "locker" page of the Wiki until I added it myself. Also, how to get to it in the Landing isn't mentioned on Ebonstone Manor's own page and the saved post I found that eventually clued me in isn't linked to on it either (something I still need to get around to doing in a bit).

As far as the ten minutes to find the annex once I knew that was where I needed to go, I was getting pretty POed by that time, which is never good for rational thinking. It was the mention that it's in Kobold Village on the Beacon Hall page that got me there, but even if I'd noticed that map on the lower right of my screen (not exactly the first place one's eyes go naturally), it wouldn't have helped me get out of the lockers.

Starchitin

Re: Lockers 08/22/2016 03:05 PM CDT
And, really, a sign on the door that used to lead to the House Annexes in Moot Hall telling folk to look in Ebonstone Manor for house lockers would have saved me way more trouble then anything else. I spent ages running around that building thinking I was trying the wrong door like I usually did.

Starchitin

Re: Lockers 08/22/2016 07:11 PM CDT
>>And, really, a sign on the door that used to lead to the House Annexes in Moot Hall telling folk to look in Ebonstone Manor for house lockers would have saved me way more trouble then anything else.

There is a sign on the door where the old lounges/lockers were for Houses that do not have their main location or their own annex building in the Landing.

[Moot Hall, Upstairs Corridor]
The end of the hallway is enclosed by large burgundy rugs. Potted plants are displayed on brass stands resting between a polished maoral door and a richly carved mahogany door. The dark corridor doesn't offer much in terms of natural lighting. You also see a sturdy ladder.
Obvious exits: west

GN>look carved door
There is a small sign tacked to the door.

There appears to be something written on it.

GN>read carved door
In the Common language, it reads:
This area is now closed. Please visit Ebonstone Manor.

The only lockers that are located upstairs in Ebonstone Manor are the lockers for Moonstone Abbey, White Haven, and Cairnfang Manor as per my post in February: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Cooperative%20Houses%20of%20Elanthia%20(CHE%60Great%20Houses)/Announcements/view/42

And as GM Retser noted, there's something coming... RSN like.

~*GM Elidi*~
Re: Lockers 08/23/2016 05:12 AM CDT
Not that the sign for Ebonstone Manor matters so much for BHA since we had our annex in WL way before Ebonstone Manor existed.

Indeed, we're going to host our fourth event at our WL Annex in September (we had our opening event, last Frontier Days' event, a tour and games night in January and then we're doing another Frontier Days event there this year). House annexes are just expanded lockers and their existence means that the house lockers are relocated to the Annex.

In this very subforum, there are announcements about the opening of our Annex in WL. We had been speaking about it in meetings for at least two years or so before it opened. It has been there for well over a year. We released maps (which included indicating where the locker is) when we opened the Annex. I don't know what else you expect us to do to inform you of the locker movement.

For future reference, our next Annex will be in Ta'Illistim, so your locker will move in that city too.
Re: Lockers 08/23/2016 05:16 AM CDT
> It was the mention that it's in Kobold Village on the Beacon Hall page that got me there, but even if I'd noticed that map on the lower right of my screen (not exactly the first place one's eyes go naturally), it wouldn't have helped me get out of the lockers.

Can I recommend not keeping post-it notes directly on your computer monitor? :D
Re: Lockers 08/23/2016 10:38 PM CDT
<In this very subforum, there are announcements about the opening of our Annex in WL. We had been speaking about it in meetings for at least two years or so before it opened. It has been there for well over a year. We released maps (which included indicating where the locker is) when we opened the Annex. I don't know what else you expect us to do to inform you of the locker movement.>

My initial post was mainly ment to vent and I only keep responding cause folk keep asking questions.

Until early last year, lockers were located in a central area except for in the town that a CHE has it's "headquarters" (or whatever the heck the official name for them it). In most towns this central location was either right next to or at least in the same building as those for folk that aren't in a CHE.

Now, while I certainly can't speak for any other then myself, I doubt most visit the lockers they have in most towns very often. Heck, I have NEVER visited the vast majority of lockers available to me. The fact that I haven't visited the gnome's locker in the Landing since before it was moved to the annex shouldn't be too much of a surprise, esp since I spend many fewer hours in GS these days then I did a decade ago and what time I do spend in GS is spread among 16 characters.

Sure, I saw the post on the forums about the annex when it was fist posted, as I've already said. Did I remember that post more then a year later when I actually went to get something from my locker in the Landing? Nope and neither the Beacon Hall WEB site or wiki page were anywhere near being on my radar. Lockers were always a town function before, CHE membership just made them bigger (please don't nitpick with me, whether the GM's & CHE officers saw it that way or not, I guarantee the general GS population did).

Since I've already detailed how I went about finding my locker in my original post and you still seem mystified how I could have gotten frustrated (or just feel inclined to take my post as a personal attack.... it's hard to tell the tone of that last sentence), I'll simply answer your query with the exact same thing the gnome put on the chalkboard in the new annex: "Stop movin my locka!"

Starchitin

PS I stopped going to the meetings years ago when it became clear Star's input at them was neither required or desired.

Re: Lockers 08/24/2016 07:24 AM CDT
>My initial post was mainly ment to vent and I only keep responding cause folk keep asking questions.

Yeah, I can understand that. I'm not intentionally being obtuse about it. We're just coming at the same problem from different angles (experiencing it versus trying to do something about it).

>>Nope and neither the Beacon Hall WEB site or wiki page were anywhere near being on my radar.

The website is written under this folder on the forums. I honestly just don't know what we are supposed to do to help this situation very much, unfortunately.

>Since I've already detailed how I went about finding my locker in my original post and you still seem mystified how I could have gotten frustrated (or just feel inclined to take my post as a personal attack.... it's hard to tell the tone of that last sentence), I'll simply answer your query with the exact same thing the gnome put on the chalkboard in the new annex: "Stop movin my locka!"

I don't think we're trying to be mystified. Mostly we're saying, from our end as officers (or the CHE guru, though I don't want to speak specifically for Elidi), we're mostly saying we've really tried hard to make information available. It's probably not perfect, but I guess for us it seems the information has been distributed and made available that in principle a person making a reasonable effort should be able to find it. (The exception was the puzzle to exit the locker, though considering it's an RR CHE locker, getting trapped your first time couldn't feel that bizarre even if it's annoying. However, this wasn't explicitly intentional as such.)

It's also a matter of how much time we put into the Annex and you're claiming to be peeing all over it. I think it's a pretty nice structure, and it's definitely worth checking out some of the detail once you've blown off the steam about the locker confusion. Considering how long it was in the works and now existing (along with us running events in it), it kind of sounds as if your attitude is to not care that anything goes on with the house, and better to leave the locker annexes alone because that's more convenient for you. (I doubt you are actually saying that, but I'm just saying some of the attitude feels a little abrasive from that perspective. Probably saying Starchitin peed on something almost goes without saying in reality...)

The chalkboard is fun, and most the stuff written on there is just goofy or some kind of complaint so definitely go for it.

>PS I stopped going to the meetings years ago when it became clear Star's input at them was neither required or desired.

I'm not sure to what extent the people in the meetings these days are the same as people years ago. Certainly no one replying to this thread was in meetings years ago. But as to if you would have the same experience with a different atmosphere probably depends. While complaining is reasonable, there's a kind of line where finally it should be constructive, ideally.
Re: Lockers 08/24/2016 07:45 AM CDT
>Until early last year, lockers were located in a central area except for in the town that a CHE has it's "headquarters" (or whatever the heck the official name for them it). In most towns this central location was either right next to or at least in the same building as those for folk that aren't in a CHE.

That's not quite true. All houses with annexes have their lockers in their annex, not in the main area. BHA is not the only house with an annex.

And like I said, we've been using the annex in WL. We have login announcements pointing out in advance that we are hosting events there, our events are posted on the calendar and we try to post about them on the forum as well. There's no personal attack intended, I just have no idea how we could have made it less frustrating or easier to find the lockers than we already have (e.g. by making announcements about the existence of the annex, creating and posting maps and so on).

>I stopped going to the meetings years ago when it became clear Star's input at them was neither required or desired.

I'm sorry you felt that way, but I can assure you that this isn't how other people feel.
Re: Lockers 08/24/2016 10:11 AM CDT
<It's also a matter of how much time we put into the Annex and you're claiming to be peeing all over it.>

I'm sorry, you HAVE met the gnome in question, haven't you? The one that's peed on at least 75% of long-time Resters, several merchants, at least two GMs, a Mentor, the rabbit, raffle tickets, the BHA library, and a god? (and received several RPAs in the process)

That he didn't pee all over it just to christen it should probably offend more then anything!

Starchitin

Re: Lockers 08/24/2016 10:39 AM CDT
As an aside, did you happen to find anything interesting in your attempt to escape? I discovered the lantern is somewhat functional:

>light lantern
You light the black iron lantern, and a small flame flares into existence, casting a dancing shadow along the ground.
>kick lant
You abruptly kick at a glaes-paned black iron lantern!
>go lant
You take a few steps toward a glaes-paned black iron lantern.
>snuff lant
You carefully extinguish the black iron lantern, causing a small jet of smoke which quickly dissipates.
Re: Lockers 08/24/2016 10:53 AM CDT
Annexes are fun to design and a pain to live with in my experience. I never much minded the main building having the locker, but lockers hidden behind puzzles in obscure locations are a reason I'm happy to avoid CHE membership now.
Re: Lockers 08/24/2016 12:00 PM CDT
Yer, I found that and was convinced it was the way out for a few seconds. Mostly cause the actions with the lantern show up in Stormfront when you click on it but there was nothing else I could find in the room that did.

Starchitin