So...been hunting... 01/23/2020 10:48 PM CST
And I'm noting that I'm going to run out of favor if I continue doing what I'm doing. Which I feel is not balanced or correct. My monk is 44th and a Voln Master, I like to hunt under my own abilities. So while "relearning" the class since it's been eight years I'm hunting spectral miners. They're 40th. So I'm under hunting by 4 levels.

I'm noting that I'm actually losing favor....
>touch globe
You reach out and touch the globe.
The globe hums and spins around quickly.
You try to count the number of spins and figure it was around 60 revolutions.

After some hunts out there...

>touch globe
You reach out and touch the globe.
The globe hums and spins around quickly.
You try to count the number of spins and figure it was around 50 revolutions.
>

I run four symbols...

1. Symbol of Courage.
2. Symbol of Protection
3. Symbol of Supremacy
4. Symbol of Disruption

And I keep my store bought boots and gaunts Symbol of Blessed.

This shouldn't be an issue. If I was a master the Council or Sunfist I could keep my main Signs/Sigils up even if I was under hunting. As it is the spectral miners are cursing the piss out of me and the mares, steeds and night mares land most TD spells on me at will with very 'so so' rolls. So hence the under hunting. Though I'm not sure I need to actually bless my gauntlets/boots since I'm not seeing any real difference with that on my Unarmed combat, though I'm still learning how to read it well and I could be missing something.

Anyhow, I'll frankly admit that I'm a bit frustrated that at this rate I'll be out of favor soon and I'm not sure what to do. I really thought that the monk would work out well as a Voln Master with all the changes and revamps, but now I'm not so sure. Well that's feedback/observation.
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 12:56 AM CST
Supremacy uses a lot of favor, and keeping Disruption running does too. I'd recommend using Kai's Smite (no favor cost) to tag them into corporeality and then lay on with the mstrikes. It'll save you some favor and you'll be pulling off limbs and/or deathcritting them.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 05:02 AM CST
Supremacy and disruption aren't main symbols, thats just courage and protection.

You have to kill very fast at low level to maintain supremacy. Maybe some pures could manage it at your level, but its another 10 levels before I could run that set on a cleric and the only time I've been able to do it on a square is a capped warrior in Reim. My rogue can't even generate the favor to maintain courage and protection at cap, let alone supremacy. Before Reim was released, both monk and warrior had to be really careful about using anything but courage and protection.

You need to quickstrike smite, (or have a partner) or it will normally run out before you can hit the critter. I had to lop 2s off its RT to make it reliable for solo hunting but if you do that it can be very effective.
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 09:18 AM CST
I thought I had read that from 7th (?) rank on, the UCS gear would just "be able to hit" undead, without you having to bless it. Might investigate, see if that saves you some more.

Are you in a group, or solo?

Have you tried Reim? All-undead all-the-time, and 2 hours per day/one entry per day included as Premium.
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 11:49 AM CST

Soloing Robert/Krakii. Yeah I'm able to hit undead without Symbol of Blessing going. I'm just not sure if not having the Symbol of up on my boots and gauntlets negatively impacts my combat or not. I'm still working through parsing the combat messaging.

---

To Rathboner and James, you're missing my main contention here. I feel that it lacks balance that even with hunting undead I'm going into the hole favor wise with only keeping four Symbols up while in combat and one other (Symbol of Blessing when the boots and gaunts lose their bless). Compare that to Sunfist or the Council (The council I keep up eight not counting thought), and I see a lack of balance.

And this is after the revamp a few years ago, so I'm surprised that they didn't lower some of the favor costs when they did the revamp. I love the revamp of the powers, they're more useful and dynamic. That said, if you can't use them reliably while hunting only undead that you can learn from, there is a problem. If you're having to husband favor and think gosh I'd better not because I'm draining myself over what I feel is conservative use, then yeah there is a problem.

Anyhow, I'm not a min maxer by any means as Robert can attest since I've always taken a harder path over the past twenty eight years of online gaming, but this makes me think that I should just say screw it and go Council where I can at least make better and more consistent use of the powers that I need to reliably solo, something else that I've also mostly done for the past twenty eight years. I feel that that lacks though and so I mention how silly the favor cost appears to be currently for symbols. I'd hate to see how fast I'd drain if I did one hunt out of three versus living foes. lol.

Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 01:15 PM CST
I am going to support Rath and James on this one.

I have a Voln monk as well, and quite frankly, I rarely used anything but courage and protection while I hunted. Never bothered to bless my gear, because it was a double whammy to keep BOTH hand and foot wraps blessed. A Voln master's body is basically blessed, so you never need the wraps blessed to be able to hit undead. However, you lose the enchant bonus of the wraps if they are not blessed. It's not a huge dealbreaker for UCS.

The only time I ever used Supremacy was when I needed that extra boost for some particularly nasty undead. Although in truth I just plain forgot about trying to keep that up since it is also a short lived boost, unlike courage and protection. These boost are actually more beneficial to weapon users than for UCS users.

I like the fact that my Voln monk can hit undead without needing a bless, so there is that for supporting the society versus the others. Keep in mind, that the other societies while may give you longer lasting boosts to AS, they are largely minimal when it comes to UCS versus straight melee/weapon combat.

It doesn't hurt to ask a friendly cleric to give you a bless instead of using the symbol of blessing. A clerical bless will likely also give your wraps plasma crits whereas the symbol won't.

I didn't make regular use of Smite, except in cases where I wanted to actually search/loot those fast disappearing non-corps, or to slow them down long enough to get a crit on them before the red haze dissipated. Otherwise it was very situational, but I never bothered to use quickstrike for that either, which in hindsight is a great idea to get the most bang for the buck.

~Contemplar~
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 01:54 PM CST
>>I can at least make better and more consistent use of the powers that I need to reliably solo

Most of the commentary is fitting into the [?:gap|chasm|river] of opinion on this one point. But I will say this:

I've run a couple scenarios, and with the profile of symbols suggested fighting spectral miners the net even break point for symbol usage should be something on the order of 8 for a round of symbols. It increases to 11 if you add magical blesses for boots / handwraps.

So the question I have is - are symbols (courage, supremacy, and disruption in the 4:20 min range for masters) ending with less than 8 to 11 critters killed? If that answer is yes, then negative favor accumulation occurs. If the answer is no (the monk can beat 8 to 11 miners in one set of symbol use), then I would expect favor to be neutral if not slightly increase.

If the answer is no (symbols last long enough to kill 8 to 11 miners), and yet favor is declining. . . something's wrong. Probably me. ;)

edited: Ran calcs against level 44 instead of 40. And adding comment - the variability is largely usage of Symbol blessing against magical gloves / boots.

Doug
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 02:18 PM CST
Also, I didn't realize this until I ran the scenarios out for all levels. And interestingly enough. . .

Symbol Courage (.1) + Symbol of Protection (.1) + Symbol of Disruption (.3) + Symbol of Supremacy (.5) = 1.00 factor. That means if a character is going to run these symbols always - and given Protection is actually 2x duration there'll be a 5% variance net favorable - the 'base' formula value is also the 'calculated' formula value for favor needed to keep the symbols operating.

In the case of a 44th level monk, base is 820. Symbol use is 820 every even activation and 738 every odd activation (no Symbol of Protection).

Makes things much easier for me to maffs.

Doug
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 02:28 PM CST
Since I know you have a Paladin in the stable: getting Consecrate/1604 on the gauntlets/boots first would give you double-duration [# of swings] from the Cleric.
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 04:30 PM CST
Just to add to what's been said, the costs of Supremacy and Disruption are so high because they're great in other contexts.

Disruption affects everyone joined, so it's amazing in a situation like group Reim or invasions with noncorporeal undead. For everyday use, yeah, not so much--and especially not as a solo act.

Supremacy is great for CS casters since their warding margins are everything and +13 is gigantic in that setting; for monks not so much since UAF is much less relevant than MM and tiering up. (Incidentally, unless a CS caster is also a bolter, they'd use Supremacy and not Courage.)

Conversely, Kai's Strike giving double permabless (minus some UAF and flares) is invaluable for unarmed combat characters and useless to everybody else.

On another note, sign me up for Contemplar's GS where cleric blessings give plasma flares. ;)

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 08:16 PM CST
Oh yeah, I don't mean to come off as attacking you or saying WRONNG- I'm just saying that like the other posts, you're burning more favor than you're gaining by running Supremacy and Disruption. As Leafiara said, they're pretty situational.

From the perspective of a capped brawling/THW warrior, if I'm teaming up in Reim for instance, I'll use Disruption and refresh it every ~4min for the group, but that's because we're pulling in more favor than I'm burning. I actually rarely if ever use Supremacy for anything except invasion scenarios where I need an extra boost. Solo Reim, though, I'm running Retribution because of the plinks and Kai's Smite/twohanded ambushing everything. Solo in the Sanctum, it's really just Courage, Protection and Retribution, since lurks and monstrosities are quick, dirty favor and lurks always plink me for little onesies and twosies of damage, activating Retribution's reactive flares and blowing themselves up.

Being that you're in your 40s though, favor gain isn't going to start queuing up for a bit- but pretty soon into your late 40s when you hit say Bonespear, you'll see it start to grow pretty steadily. With that though, the assessment of the hand and foot gear is pretty correct- you can reasonably go without blessing it until you come across a cleric who can grant you a holy water flare bless, and that only becomes better if you can supply your own 1604 scrolls (if you can't use them, ideally the cleric should be able to) for a big boost to the swings. Since they're in this topic, bug Leafiara for both, you know she's good for it, ha.

As the only other profession that can 3x PF, though, your strengths really lie in that huge reserve of stamina, how fast it replenishes, and with UAC, the speed in which you not only Mstrike but recover from it. Qstrike in addition is exceptionally effective- where its utility is in shaving off a second here and there, rather than dropping all your attacks to 1 second and using your entire stamina bar. For instance, it only costs 14 stamina to shave Smite down to 3 seconds, 28 for 2- either option leaves you a decent amount of time to lay on a focused mstrike. The effect lasts longer if you tiered up, but unless you're in really swarmy situations, it's a pretty solid tactic. Don't be afraid to burn stamina- it comes back faster than mana.

About balance though, part of the nature of the RP behind the Order of Voln is that the powers aren't granted for constant, unrestrained use- they're gifts to be carefully cultivated, and meant to be used sparingly. Mechanically, outside of Courage and Protection which were thankfully kept low enough for the favor to be replenished quickly into a hunt, it's in the numbers. They're all incredibly useful and in some fringe cases incredibly powerful- see, during a storyline, me burning about 250 spins open-casting Symbol of Sleep on droves upon droves of invading krolvin. ICly, it won the day in Idolone, but OOCly yikes did I not like seeing my spins countable again. That's why I'll just sit there and let bandits poke me for a round or two rather than drop an emergency Transcendence or Sleep a group of four- it's just not worth the favor burn.

Re: So...been hunting... 01/24/2020 08:32 PM CST
And as a little addendum, Disruption doesn't affect NCU in tandem with Smite, leaving no point in running it if my attack routine involves Smite- unless you're hitting them first with say a jab to cause Disruption to proc, then Smiting them, then following up with your choice of cheese. At that point however you're spending a lot of extra time on a single creature in a game where, particularly at the higher levels, every second literally and figuratively counts.