Sunfist = Broken 12/06/2019 11:14 PM CST
My Rogue has been trying to raise just one war camp for the 15th level task and it's impossible. There's about no one who is willing to help clear the camps and doing it solo leads to death every time. We're into dozens of deaths now and several months of effort. I am hitting the wall. This is silly and sad because I wanted to try this society out and really dedicated, doing all this Zul Logoth stuff and enduring the war camps. If it wasn't totally impossible and insane to try, I'd be able to continue but killing 500ish buffed up monsters for the character's level is not going to happen. There is no way to get to 16th rank. One of my characters already quit GoS because of this situation and the one who is on the 15th task is at the point of it being illogical to continue.

Fix .

Dragons r Real
Re: Sunfist = Broken 12/07/2019 07:56 AM CST
I agree it is challenging, especially if you are unable to find someone to join you in your level range. All I can do is offer a couple of suggestions:

- Look for smaller camps. I believe that 500 is the max size for a camp but with a little effort you can find camps that are less than half that in size.

- My tactic is usually to stay within the first few rooms of the camp and then give ground as needed. Sometimes this means that I have to give up ground sooner than I want to as the situation can start to deteriorate quickly at times. Basically go in expecting that you will have to proceed to the exit rather quickly. This was true for me even when we had two of us tackling the camps.

- If the camp does get worked into a frenzy you may have to take a time out and let the camp settle down again before revisiting.

From my experiences, it generally took two of us between 2 and 4 hours to clear out a mid-sized camp. This was with a warrior and a bard in the level 20 range.

I think the warcamps are expected to be a group activity so you may consider trying to connect with other players in a different area if you can't find any in your local area. Maybe you'll get some responses to this thread from other players in a similar level range!

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Sunfist = Broken 12/07/2019 10:25 AM CST
Robert's advice was good.... I would add that you've also chosen a pretty challenging profession to bring through Sunfist. Warcamps weren't exactly designed with stealth combat in mind and rogues don't have a lot of options for crowd control. Staying near the entrance and retreating before you get overwhelmed would prolly be a good idea.

You don't say what type of camp you've been working on, but I'd suggest staying away from troll ones. Even with a fire flaring weapon, you won't be able to focus on the same one long enough to keep it from healing it's self... at least when you amputate an orc or giant they won't grow the limb back.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sunfist = Broken 12/08/2019 10:36 AM CST
The Drakes Vanguard razes a camp every week on Tuesdays at 830pm Eastern. Anyone can join in with us.
Re: Sunfist = Broken 12/09/2019 06:46 PM CST

Well I have decided to keep at it just to satisfy the urge to experiment and not to give up all the effort of getting to 15th rank. Since I went back to Prime with the Rogue's account, FWI has much smaller war camps. Under 100. I found one which was like 20 and RAZED it. I find them with about 100 often out there. There's not much tactical thought involved because one little stun, cast, being put on the ground, etc. can become an impossible to survive in situation. She just got killed with one cast by a cleric or something. Sometimes she gets hit by a claim and stunned for a gajillion rounds and chopped up by the rest. I mean, there's nothing you can do but get as many as you can before they mop the floor with you. I'm on two decays now and I detest those mechanics of Death's Sting. FWI doesn't have much for rescuers and my second account is not going Prime anytime soon (which I have a rescue team for). I mean, this is a max spelled up rogue with a 5x ECW Ohe, some nice Cmans working and Square training...31 level I believe atm. She is a highly efficient hunter but can only survive so long, I think her record is about 35 kills before getting iced.

Still think this is overkill, meaning this is beyond challenging at least compared to the other societies. There should be more power from the sigils if you have to sacrifice like this to get anywhere with it, I mean-- it seems to me designed for a much higher population? Because a big group could deal with a camp no problem, right? So I believe they should fix this by either diminishing the populations, giving us some NPC help from the Outpost for GoS or this fun idea which I thought of: you get a super weapon and super armor from GoS to go in and clean house with. Something which is going to give you a chance to solo a 500 + war camp. If you add others to the task, then reduce the power of the gear and give them to each member accordingly.

But right now this is really seeming like a mechanical wall that needs to be addressed.

Dragons r Real
Re: Sunfist = Broken 12/09/2019 11:58 PM CST

Since I wrote that last post, razed three war camps solo on FWI. I didn't up to Premie for the GoS thing but that is what got me over the hump. They are around 100 population each camp. The tactics my rogue used were basically: a lot of room movement, not staying in a room with more than about four at a time, not staying in a room with any area effect, leaving the last two rooms before the exist open (actually), not fighting with more than a few minors, as many buffs as possible and in my character's case was aiming at the neck every time. It's not tough at all this way, she didn't die the last two camps and is at like 250+ in a row without dying, though she did get in trouble a few times. She has an advantage with a fresh enchant on an old fish spine (ECW Broadwsword) which makes her have a pretty decent swing and with all her sigils, was pretty close to Deontay Wilder style executions -- forgive!

Dragons r Real
Re: Sunfist = Broken 01/02/2020 04:49 PM CST

Good to know I'm not the only one that struggles with GoS. I love the concept but man, these guys are set
up to be optimized to take you out. AOE web spells, movement hindrance as you try to dodge the swarms,
professions with gear and spells that work in tandem to take you down and fast. Even trying to hang out
by an entrance with my 15th level warrior spelled to the gills just ended up dead. Same thing with my
34th level two handed weapon paladin. Very, very hard to advance in this interesting society.

J
Re: Sunfist = Broken 01/02/2020 07:42 PM CST
((chuckle)) Spent quite some time spelling up, then an hour so doing Sigil of Location through the Monsoon Jungle trying to find one camp. Finally found one and then was dead within 30 seconds.

attack.
>g air
[Warcamp, Approach]
A dirt path leads over a rise of earth and down towards a collection of mismatching tents and huts. The rotting stench of the encampment's inhabitants lingers in the air, mixed with the aroma of cooked flesh and burning wood. A heavy grey haze of campfire smoke hangs over the warcamp and drifts down behind the rise of land, creating a pocket of concealment from the eyes of the nearby Grimswarm. You also see an obscured path leading out.
Obvious paths: north
>peer north
You peer north and see ...

[Warcamp, Entrance]
The entrance to the warcamp consists of nothing more than a large gap in a wall built of broken trees and shrubs haphazardly stacked upon the other. In the turned up earth by the entryway, a bloody child-sized hand reaches up toward the sky, a forgotten or discarded prize of the Grimswarm. Inside the entrance, the path separates into three directions, wrapping around several poorly constructed huts. To the south, a path leads to a small rise in land, blanketed in a haze of campfire smoke.
Obvious paths: north, south
>society task

You currently have 4173 out of 6000 recognition points needed to reach your next rank.

You have been tasked to recover some important documents that were in the possession of a messenger who was captured and killed by the Grimswarm. The documents are likely being held in a Grimswarm warcamp under lock and key.
>Sigil of Recognition
You recognize no fellow members of your society.
There are no hated enemies present.
>Sigil of Location
You focus intently on your sigil as its power begins to reach out into your immediate surroundings and beyond...

You sense the presence of 84 hated enemies nearby.

Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>l
[Warcamp, Approach]
A dirt path leads over a rise of earth and down towards a collection of mismatching tents and huts. The rotting stench of the encampment's inhabitants lingers in the air, mixed with the aroma of cooked flesh and burning wood. A heavy grey haze of campfire smoke hangs over the warcamp and drifts down behind the rise of land, creating a pocket of concealment from the eyes of the nearby Grimswarm. You also see an obscured path leading out.
Obvious paths: north
>peer north
You peer north and see ...

[Warcamp, Entrance]
The entrance to the warcamp consists of nothing more than a large gap in a wall built of broken trees and shrubs haphazardly stacked upon the other. In the turned up earth by the entryway, a bloody child-sized hand reaches up toward the sky, a forgotten or discarded prize of the Grimswarm. Inside the entrance, the path separates into three directions, wrapping around several poorly constructed huts. To the south, a path leads to a small rise in land, blanketed in a haze of campfire smoke.
>n
[Warcamp, Entrance]
>n
[Warcamp, Outside]
Three beaten paths break off in a northerly direction, curving around a number of poorly built huts and tents. A pile of broken bones and rotting flesh compete with a pile of steaming offal for the most nauseating odor available. Over the top of the tents, a tall wooden flagpole marks the center of the warcamp just ahead, while a broad dirt path leads south to the sole entrance and exit of the encampment. You also see a Grimswarm orc guard.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, south, northwest
>nw
[Warcamp, Outside]
The well-worn path runs between the makeshift wall of broken trees and brush and a number of ramshackle huts. A pile of discarded clothes sits beneath a rack with an unidentifiable skin stretched taunt for drying. A break in the huts reveals the warcamp center directly to the east, while the worn path continues to the northeast and southeast. The aroma of cooked flesh floats in from the west. You also see a Grimswarm orc guard.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, southeast, west
>ne
[Warcamp, Outside]
A great hut stands within a clearing unto itself in the encampment of the Grimswarm. Twin red and black banner poles flank its entrance, while bodies lashed to the walls with cords of leather decorate its exterior. Pale grey curls of smoke drift from the top of the hut, spiraling towards the smoke haze above the warcamp. Next to the hut, suspended upside down on a wood rack is the rotting corpse of a troll, pierced through the heart with a massive boar spear. You also see a Grimswarm orc guard and a Grimswarm orc guard.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, south, southwest
>n
Your foes in this area work together to impede your movement...

Roundtime: 2 sec.
[Warcamp, Outside]
Cages filled with creatures of all sizes are stacked against the wall of a hut spaced away from its neighbors by numerous yards. Next to the cages is a small pile of former cage occupants, the remains of sacrifices and divinations. The air around the hut carries a suggestion of herbs and spices and appears to emanate from cracks in the hut's walls. Wind chimes constructed of finger bones of various races fill the air with a morbid clattering. You also see a Grimswarm orc guard and a Grimswarm orc guard.
R>
From some where within the warcamp, you hear a loud roar of alarm that will no doubt rouse the entire warcamp!

A Grimswarm orc dissembler strides in, glowering upon the scene.
R>n
A Grimswarm orc guard swings a morning star at you!
You evade the attack by inches!
R>
...wait 1 seconds.
R>n
A Grimswarm orc dissembler gestures and utters a phrase of magic.
>
Your foes in this area work together to impede your movement...

Roundtime: 3 sec.
[Warcamp, Outside]
A beaten trail narrows considerably and leads to a hut built of thick, sturdy boards. The makeshift wall closes in and surrounds the hut, offering no entry in to or out of the hut save but a large door at the termination of the path. The air is thick with the odious stench of death from the bodies of captives tossed to various sides of the path, now the feeding ground of rodents and other hungry beasties.
Obvious paths: south
R>g hut
...wait 1 seconds.
>
g hut
The captive's hut appears to be closed.
>
A Grimswarm orc empath strides in, glowering upon the scene.
A Grimswarm orc ranger strides in, glowering upon the scene.
>
A Grimswarm orc empath gestures and utters a phrase of magic.
>
A Grimswarm orc dissembler just arrived.
>
A Grimswarm orc ranger thrusts with a spear at you!
AS: +211 vs DS: +259 with AvD: +18 + d100 roll: +47 = +17
A clean miss.
>Prep 1630
You motion forcefully as you confidently call on your patron in the invocation for Judgment...
Your spell is ready.
>Cast at
Cast at what?
>
A Grimswarm orc empath gestures at you!
A Grimswarm orc empath hurls a roaring ball of fire at you!
AS: +282 vs DS: +118 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +15 = +212
... and hits for 36 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right arm burns skin bright red.
The guiding force leaves a Grimswarm orc empath.
The roaring ball of fire strikes you, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames char abdomen a crispy black.
You are stunned for 1 round!
!S>
!S>
!S>
A Grimswarm orc ranger gestures and utters a phrase of magic.
!S>
A Grimswarm orc dissembler gestures at you!
CS: +177 - TD: +96 + CvA: -9 + d100: +67 - +30 == +109
Warding failed!
A dark shadow passes over you.
!S>
Cast at
You are still stunned.
!S>
The air begins to thin rapidly.
Air is sucked away from you!
Your ears pop audibly.
+2 Hits.

!>
!>
Cloudy wisps swirl about you.
CS: +187 - TD: +95 + CvA: -9 + d100: +30 == +113
Warding failed!
The wisps solidify into thick strands of webbing that tighten about your body!
!W>
A Grimswarm orc ranger gestures at you!
A faint buzzing sound fills the area for a moment, then quickly fades away.
!W>
A Grimswarm orc guard just arrived.
!W>
Cast at
You can't do that while entangled in a web.
!W>
!W>
AS: +211 vs DS: +79 with AvD: +18 + d100 roll: +20 = +170
... and hits for 20 points of damage!
Quick slash to your upper right arm!
Just a nick

Your chain hauberk releases a spray of acid at the orc ranger!

... 20 points of damage!
Bit of acid strikes the orc ranger's calf leaving bright red spots.
!W>
A Grimswarm orc barbarian treads in, ready for combat!
A Grimswarm orc hunter strides in, glowering upon the scene.
!W>
A Grimswarm orc dissembler gestures at you!
Nothing happens.
!W>
Cast at
!W>
Cast at
!W>
A Grimswarm orc guard gestures and utters a phrase of magic.
!W>
!W>
Cast at
CS: +187 - TD: +90 + CvA: -9 + d100: +2 == +90
Warded off!
!W>
!W>
A Grimswarm orc hunter swings a broadsword at you!
AS: +223 vs DS: +72 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +11 = +187
... and hits for 24 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the left leg.
!W>
Cast at
!W>
AS: +211 vs DS: +70 with AvD: +18 + d100 roll: +74 = +233
... and hits for 48 points of damage!
Loud crack as your sternum breaks!
You are stunned for 2 rounds!

Your chain hauberk releases a spray of acid at the orc ranger!

... 15 points of damage!
Acid catches the side of the orc ranger's neck and drips down in a steaming trail!
!WS>
A Grimswarm orc barbarian swings a flamberge at you!
AS: +208 vs DS: +65 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +84 = +265
... and hits for 61 points of damage!
Glancing slash to your shield arm!
The dully illuminated mantle protecting you begins to falter, then completely fades away.
Your boosted confidence and fearlessness fade.
You feel your abilities diminish as the energy provided by your patron fades from around you.
The dim celadon wisps about your hands flare up once more and fade completely away.
The subdued warmth embracing you fades along with the spiritual force surrounding your arms.
Your skin grows slightly numb for a moment as the warm glow fades from around you.
You lose a bit of focus as the knowledge of future battles drifts from your mind.
Your bolstered defenses fade with the soft glow about you.
You feel slightly weakened as the blood in your veins thins.
You sense that your attunement to the minds of others has ceased.
A dark shadow passes away from you.
The webs dissolve from around you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 16 mins...

You sense the powers guarding your corpse awakening.

A lambent white-gold cloud rolls through the area.
A Grimswarm orc hunter is buffeted by the white-gold cloud and is knocked to the ground.
A Grimswarm orc barbarian is buffeted by the white-gold cloud and is knocked to the ground.
... 15 points of damage!
Pinpoint strike sears the orc barbarian's chest.
A Grimswarm orc guard is buffeted by the white-gold cloud and is knocked to the ground.
... 15 points of damage!
Insignificant burns to the orc guard's neck.
A Grimswarm orc dissembler is buffeted by the white-gold cloud and is knocked to the ground.
A Grimswarm orc ranger is buffeted by the white-gold cloud and is knocked to the ground.
A Grimswarm orc empath is buffeted by the white-gold cloud and is knocked to the ground.
... 30 points of damage!
Plasma strike to neck constricts throat causing the orc empath to choke.
The orc empath is stunned!

You sense that 12 creatures have been injured and 0 has been slain in the reckoning!
A Grimswarm orc barbarian bellows in victory, holding his flamberge aloft!
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc guard struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc dissembler stands up with a grunt.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc hunter stands up with a grunt.
DEAD>
The air begins to thin rapidly.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc ranger stands up with a grunt.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc barbarian stands up with a grunt.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc empath stands up with a grunt.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc guard stands up with a grunt.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc dissembler gestures mystically!
A thick cloud of wisps gathers around a Grimswarm orc dissembler and quickly spreads to cover much of the surrounding area. The cloud solidifies and resolves into a sticky web.
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc hunter stares hungrily at you! With a grunt, she grabs you and drags you off...

[Warcamp, Mess Tent]
Large cooking fires run the length of the tent, sending plumes of smoke up to an opening in the peak of the ceiling. Chunks of meat, some still resembling their former possessors, roast on thick iron spits and fill the tent with a nauseatingly sweet aroma, accompanied by the sound of fat sizzling as it drips into the flames. Bones and pieces of flesh litter the floor, evidence of a combination of poor tableside manners and animalistic carnage. In the shadows of the tent, something is feeding. You also see a Grimswarm orc hunter.
Obvious exits: out
DEAD>
A Grimswarm orc hunter grabs your head and begins to drool. Without a moment's hesitation, she plucks out your eyeballs and begins eating them slowly, apparently savoring the flavor and texture!
DEAD>
Re: Sunfist = Broken 01/02/2020 09:23 PM CST
Heh - all kinds of fun, no?

If you think that's hard, try doing it Hardcore - with only the spells / skills you train in (and can cast from scrolls, potion imbibing, etc.) A couple of players have done it all the way to mastery. There's a small trick, though - younger is 'easier'. :)

If you'll pardon the observation, I would suggest a slight alteration in tactics. Most especially when you get a warcamp with only 84 critters in it! I know it's hard to do this, and heavens knows it'll still be a bit of a frustration for you, but. . .

In low occupancy camps (90 or less), no matter what your mission is - go in, if the first room is empty, peer north. If empty move north. Peer all directions. Always only tackle one critter at a time, and always strive to keep it locked up so it can't bellow an alarm. Fast offensives are the key. Take one out. If there are more than one in the 'next room' (no matter where you are) and you're not engaged yet, fade back a room. Always strive to take out a single guard type. If you do get bellowed, fade immediately and ambush on your way out. Never more than 1 critter. Ever. Exit first and wait for the camp to go back to normal. Do this even if you think you might make it, because in my experience, I never did make it when I thought I would.

Take the camp down to 20 or so this way - 10 if you can manage it. Then, you have much less worry about alarms, since they can't all spawn immediately adjacent to or in your room. You'll have less time lost by foes tangling you up, and you'll be able to move.

Then do your task. Grab another one, and use the same camp. Rinse, repeat.

Keep the camp as low as you can reasonably - (but try not to go below 10). And keep it handy for those raze tasks if you get them. Don't report the camp. Hopefully no one else will find it, or they'll recognize at that low a number it's being hunted and they'll ask or leave it alone. Keep working that camp for all your tasks, as much as you can. And if someone does clear it on you, move to the next one and repeat the strategy.

Doug
Re: Sunfist = Broken 01/03/2020 10:18 AM CST
Doug has given you some very good advice in terms of how to manage a warcamp. I'll add a couple of survival tactics on top of what he said.

One: Not only stay in the first room of the entrance, but also plan on CRAWLing out, instead of trying to stand up if you are knocked down.

Two: Number one is important because often you are going to be stuck in a room with more than 1 grimswarm in it and have no good way of moving (I don't suggest moving at all unless to exit the warcamp.) You may need to rile up the camp if you are looking to whittle it down, but go as far as the first guard you see and let them bellow and immediately retreat to the exit to stand your ground.

Three: While you may have a task to get something out of the warcamp it is probably prudent to clear out the camp before trying to make your way to the hut.

Four: You mentioned that it seems impossible to progress in the society, but I am not sure you are aware that you hardly need to set foot inside a warcamp for most of your society journey to acquire prestige points. The warcamps are intended to be very solo UNFRIENDLY. Not impossible, of course, just very challenging. While one step of the society does require that you actually enter some warcamps and get credit for a raze. This is one where it is probably best to find a group to come help you, especially if you are looking at a warcamp larger than 100 grimswarm.

I do hope that you are not discouraged from continuing your progression and wish you luck in completing it. It's worth it I think. ;-p

~Contemplar~
Re: Sunfist = Broken 01/03/2020 10:31 AM CST
>> One: Not only stay in the first room of the entrance, but also plan on CRAWLing out, instead of trying to stand up if you are knocked down.

This is not an uncommon exit strategy even when hunting a warcamp with a partner. Also, if you do go with a partner, I recommend having a macro hotkeyed so that you can easily drag your incapacitated partner through the exit with you as well.

>> Three: While you may have a task to get something out of the warcamp it is probably prudent to clear out the camp before trying to make your way to the hut.

For our group, we typically chose to decline these types of tasks in favor of tasks that allowed us to hunt grimswarm outside of the warcamp (we did still complete the ones to kill x number in a warcamp as those could be complete at or near the warcamp's entrance).

-- Robert

>channel my maul
You channel at a hefty mithril maul.
You make an astoundingly inept attempt! Success!