Kai's Smite 12/28/2018 04:28 PM CST
I've had some major issues with this skill for some time, but figured I might as well finally voice them here.

I have two main issues with it:

1)The duration is too low. I often get the minimum duration, which is not even enough to hide and ambush ONCE.

2)It's unfair against brawling weapons. You want MM for it to work, which brawling weapons decrease. Brawling weapons have absolutely no positive bonus to Smite, only penalties.
Re: Kai's Smite 12/28/2018 04:34 PM CST
I'm curious if the duration is too slow after setting up for it? I'm sort of mixed bag here on this, but I think the duration should allow for an ambush attack - it seems to allow for two open UAC swings, most of the time.

Doug
Re: Kai's Smite 12/28/2018 05:11 PM CST
I just wish it worked with mstrikes, but less RT or longer duration would also resolve any troubles with it.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Kai's Smite 12/28/2018 06:57 PM CST
>>I'm curious if the duration is too slow after setting up for it? I'm sort of mixed bag here on this, but I think the duration should allow for an ambush attack - it seems to allow for two open UAC swings, most of the time.

Well, I get 2 attacks in at best, but 0 is also common. But I do wear MBP and my handwraps are only 4x.

But normally I use brawling weapons, so I don't even bother smiting.
Re: Kai's Smite 12/28/2018 09:33 PM CST
I don't really feel the duration needs much of a boost. Of course, that'd be great, but not truly super necessary. Its effectiveness probably depends on how you're using it.

For starters, if you're using it as your opening move with Open UAC, you're not getting the most out of it. You're getting (if you do land it) the very minimum duration under not enough of a tier to do any respectable damage. I recommend tiering your way up to at least second tier- then Smite, then go for a critkill to your favorite location. That's my basic routine if I'm using purely open UAC. Unaimed jabs are two seconds for a reason, remember.

My most effective routine, however, is to open with Smite then ambush the head with my bastard sword. I pretty consistently mix UAC and THW for different effects, setups, etc for fun/stamina conservation/etc, so your mileage would vary on that. The routine would be pretty similar theoretically for ambushing from hiding- you may as well tag with Smite, hide, and go for your crit that way, though that's an 11 second attack cycle at minimum, and as an ambushing rogue you probably don't want to spend 8 of those seconds out in the open.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Kai's Smite 12/29/2018 12:39 AM CST
I guess I must be using a completely different Smite, because I find it to be completely underwhelming, I pass up non-corp undead, even though I have a skill that is supposed to be good against them.

And again, you can't use brawling weapons, which is actually my greatest issue with it.
Re: Kai's Smite 12/29/2018 01:58 AM CST
Your UAC compatible brawling weapons do work with it. Testing it out, with all three pieces blessed with holy water flares, it's possible to have all three flare on a Smite (in this case, a couple of store bought cestus and 4x blessable Shurleys).

If actually connecting is the problem, you could create a short script, macro, or Lich alias to stow away both of your UAC weapons, smite, and unsheathe them again, but that shouldn't be an issue if you're actually tiering up to Good positioning before trying to land the smite.

You could also tag with Smite and follow up with a focused Mstrike for its free jab at Decent and subsequent auto-tiering attacks. If you don't have at least 30 ranks of MOC (or aren't working towards it) and are going to use UAC from the open in any degree, you may want to readdress that. Really, you have all the tools available to you to make it work, so the choice of a handicap such as not using Smite and skipping NCU entirely is, entirely, up to you.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Kai's Smite 12/29/2018 12:30 PM CST
Connecting is all that matters to me. Especially as an ambusher, since I'm trying to death crit after the smite.

And yes, having to stow both weapons is my only option.