Just a modestly small trick question 03/05/2021 07:20 PM CST
IF:

the premise of the game is that considerations post 17th century (ish) are generally not permitted due to the 'feel of the genre'; and,

IF:

the introduction of the concept of nonbinary gender-ish status is pursued; then,

I expect there to be absolutely zero feedback about whether any other concept in the game is 20th century or 17th century. Zero. For whatever reason the concept of inclusion doesn't seem to include the concept that this game relies on period / genre specific delineation. This isn't period / genre correct (or, of course, we could roleplay out what used to happen in those days in like circumstances, but I would believe that terribly unhealthy.)

While gender may no longer be easily discernable since it has transcended to a mental state, double standards certainly are. Do not create them.

Doug
Re: Just a modestly small trick question 03/05/2021 07:56 PM CST
IRL, as I understand it, a big part of the issue centers on identity and who-you-are-actually, or who-I-am-actually. In this game, who-I-am-actually (the character, I mean) isn't important. If it was, then I submit that all the things we carry around would be identified as-they-are-actually -- which they aren't. They are identified by how others perceive them. If all the feature options are available to both genders of any race, and no heed or preference is given to appearance, then it doesn't matter what gender you select. You are exactly as you want to be, because your character is defined by your appearance and your personality, and a few other things that you select or play out -- not something you were born with. I don't think the game engine cares much about gender -- more or less, it's a matter of pronouns. Players might care, for their own reasons.

Maybe it's not reasonable to compare character traits to item traits. It's all just bits here. Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with the concept. Let the game go first-person if we must, but let's get everything on the same page.
Re: Just a modestly small trick question 03/05/2021 08:05 PM CST
It is an intriguing concept. But, if this holds true:

>>They are identified by how others perceive them.

How do they know that I am perceiving them for who they are? And for that matter, who are they to judge for how I perceive her, irrespective of how he thinks it should be otherwise?

Just a modestly small. . . well, you (alone or together, your (alone or together) choice) know.

Doug
Re: Just a modestly small trick question 03/06/2021 12:45 PM CST
>If all the feature options are available to both genders of any race, and no heed or preference is given to appearance, then it doesn't matter what gender you select.

And there lies the crux of the problem.... the way the game engine is set up, and how things like the Feature Pavilion are currently, feature options ARE gender/race specific.

Once that is fixed, maybe we won't need the they/them/non-binary-whateverness. Until then, though, there's still going to be this not-so-small part of what may be a core part of player experience missing.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Just a modestly small trick question 03/06/2021 01:00 PM CST
>And there lies the crux of the problem.... the way the game engine is set up, and how things like the Feature Pavilion are currently, feature options ARE gender/race specific.

It seems reasonable to have different options for different races, since many of the races in the game differ substantially in appearance. I agree that feature options shouldn't be based on gender, however.

Some of the messaging in the game could be revised to avoid pronouns. This wouldn't solve the issue, but it'd make it less noticeable.
Re: Just a modestly small trick question 03/06/2021 03:23 PM CST
>> Some of the messaging in the game could be revised to avoid pronouns. This wouldn't solve the issue, but it'd make it less noticeable.

I'm not a big fan of verbs either. They make me tired reading them.

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.” -- 1984 by George Orwell

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!