"Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 04:58 AM CDT
The open combat skills, as far as I can tell, now both act identically (kill/attack). Both verbs now ALWAYS use the aim if you have it set. Being able to force an unaimed shot by using a different verb and without clearing aim was a functionality I found useful and used often.

The nearest I can do now is forgo the aim verb all together and use "ambush head" to force aimed shots. While this is partially effective, it requires me to set monster targets before the attack because the monster noun has to go before the aim target. Because of the order, this makes using command history or macros much less effective because the part I need to change is in the middle of the string and the curser starts at the end.

Making kill only unaimed would solve this issue. Or, if you want both of those verbs to be exactly the same, maybe a new specialized verb like "attacknoaim" could be made.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 05:03 AM CDT
Not sure that fully explained my issue. It is harder now to swap on the fly between aimed and unaimed attacks using either hand typing or macros compared to before the QoL update. Picking between the two attack types which used to be possible by alternating attack and ambush was much more interactive and effective than having either 0% or 100% aimed shots, effectively making the "aim" verb worthless.

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 08:53 AM CDT
Interesting, I'm still using the aim verb the same as I always was with my paladin(s), rogue and warrior. I've a macro that I use for Aim Clear,one for Aim Head etc.(basically four aim location macros) I really changed nothing with the change. Actually scratch that, one macro change, I did used to use Ambush with my open aiming of course and now I just use Attack. So one macro changed. Basically I'm going to have to disagree that the Aim verb isn't worthless.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 09:43 AM CDT
<Not sure that fully explained my issue. It is harder now to swap on the fly between aimed and unaimed attacks using either hand typing or macros compared to before the QoL update. Picking between the two attack types which used to be possible by alternating attack and ambush was much more interactive and effective than having either 0% or 100% aimed shots, effectively making the "aim" verb worthless.>

I think you explained yourself fine in the first post, but I think there's anther point worth mentioning.

The whole point of making an unaimed attack is to save that 1 sec that's added when aiming the attack, however all but the fastest typists are losing that second by having to type "aim clear" first. Sure, this could be solved by creating a macro, but then one has to remember to set the AIM verb every time it's used.... and, Murphy's Law being what it is, still leaves open the possibility of something unfortunate happening between the resolution of the two commands.

Rather than a whole new verb, maybe ATTACK OPEN/WAYLAY OPEN/etc could force an unaimed attack on whatever the current target is when there's something set in AIM.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 09:51 AM CDT
I agree that unaimed shots can be worthwhile--like hitting one of those 30'+ giant-sized critters in the head neck or eye--when you cannot aim too high.
I was just fine with 'attack' being unaimed and 'ambush' being targeted, with a hidden flag (to add in Ambush ranks) triggered by whether I had bothered to hide or not.
If they now behave identically, I see no real issue with a revert to having one NOT be aimed, so that such a shot can be made with a single command.
(Or add a "none" or "clear" or "unaimed" parameter to the command, to force it NOT to target.)

However, as a stopgap measure, I proffer this solution:
Since "aim clear" can be used during RT, just add that command to the END of your macros, so it will occur & be processed while you are still in RT from what you just did.

Then when you DO aim (ambush orc neck) that command is immediately followed by an "aim clear" so your next one will not be (unless you choose a body part for that one, too).
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 10:20 AM CDT

Thanks for posting this Menos, I had the same question. Used to be just a matter of hitting a different key for me to swap between aimed and open.

It didn't change my hunting a lot, I almost always aimed for the neck with my claid because critty goodness.

But I still threw in open attacks for speed and even to lessen the chance I crit killed it when someone else needed to tag it.

I second the request to give us one of the attack commands back as an open unaimed attack, kill or attack, pick one.

Olgre's pea brain
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 11:53 AM CDT
"as an open unaimed attack" -- Olgre, emphasis mine

To be clear: they used to work as un-aimed when in hiding, also.
The only way TO get aimed, used to be 'ambush' or go the persistent setting route with 'aim'.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 03:11 PM CDT
I'm not sure if I'm aligned with what you all are thinking/saying...

USAGE: ATTACK [target] [location]

[target] will default to your current TARGET, or a random creature if you have not set a target.
[location] will default to your AIM preference if set. You may also specify CLEAR to force an unaimed attack.

Does "attack clear" also clear your AIM setting?

My understanding is...

aim head -- you are now aiming at the head

attack thing -- you attack thing's head

attack otherthing clear -- you attack otherthing's whatever

attack otherthing -- you attack otherthing's head
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/20/2022 03:38 PM CDT
>WINTERDAWN

The issue for me is, before the "QoL" update we could swap between aimed and unaimed using different verbs where the last word was the target.

With the old system, arrowing up or using a macro let me quickly type the last word in if I needed to specify a foe. For instance, grimswarm sorc walks in, I can very quickly bring up the ambush macro (aim already set to head), type sorc and send it. Or for a HW specific option, a giant mob walks in and now my aim to the head shot will fail so I bring up attack and send it. Everything could be achieved using only two verbs (ambush and attack) with no other verbs needed mid hunt. If I had to specify a specific foe, it was the last part to type and thus can be done super quick from either a macro or old command line.

Using the new system, I have either more words to delete from an old command line and then more to retype (because "attack clear orc" doesn't work), or I need to change/clear my aim location, or I need to use the target command, or I need to use a macro with a popup box to type out the middle word. All of these methods are slower and more tedious than the old version, making them the opposite of a QoL improvement.

Seeing as we have to types of open swings (aimed and unaimed) and two attack verbs, it seems reasonable to make each one do a thing. Barring that, a new verb (even if longer) that forces an unaimed attack, would let me use the older more efficient battery of arms.

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/21/2022 12:23 PM CDT
I have found the attack / ambush verb QOL updates with regard to aiming / unaimed attacks to be detrimental for my play style as well.

Suggestion: Make separate AIM commands for ATTACK vs. AMBUSH (so I can have one set on and one set off if I wish to)

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/21/2022 08:51 PM CDT
Not sure of the best resolution,but totally agree with separate verbs. Non-corp undead are the perfect example of wasting a second by always aiming when it doesn't always matter.

Kerl
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/22/2022 12:34 AM CDT
I also preferred the verbs as they were, allowing for different, quick, functions.

I've adjusted and its kind of minor now as I just outright disregard the AIM verb once again (unfortunate because it was great when it was introduced), instead adding a body part to an attack when desired. But overall, this makes it slightly longer/more prone to error for those typing so not as fluid a gameplay experience.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 05/26/2022 12:31 PM CDT
I'll pile on and say I hate this change. It has caused nothing but headaches for me.

- Andreas
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 06/30/2022 06:24 PM CDT
>>Making kill only unaimed would solve this issue. Or, if you want both of those verbs to be exactly the same, maybe a new specialized verb like "attacknoaim" could be made.

So, you guys have had a few months to adapt to the new system of attack/ambush. Is this still a valid concern, or was it just overcoming the learning curve involved in adopting a new syntax for combat?

Viduus
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 06/30/2022 08:03 PM CDT
Here's my two silver on this topic. I do appreciate your checking back in regarding these changes.

My two characters most impacted by the update:

- My paladin has stopped using open aimed attacks entirely (previously I would throw in an open AMBUSH here and there for fun).

- My ambushing rogue has stopped using open normal ATTACKs entirely.

Both characters still work fine, they just have less options than they used to. I really liked having the ability to use AMBUSH / ATTACK to differentiate my aimed attacks vs. the faster not-aimed attacks. The new syntax has restricted my available options in this regard.

All of my hunting is done using function keys or straight up typing (I do use a combat cast .cc macro and a .get macro). The new syntax isn't really friendly to this hunting style as it requires me to type additional stuff AFTER the target name.

At some point I may create some additional macros to try and recover the lost feature but I guess that's my complaint about this QOL update in a nutshell... It takes more effort / macros to get back to what was already working fine (for me) previously. Also thinking that any macros I create may have to deal with the ...wait issue and/or potentially be slower due to having to issue multiple command lines.

Anyhow, that's where I am with the new syntax, keeping in mind I spend the other 80% of my game time hunting my wizard who isn't impacted by this at all.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 06/30/2022 08:09 PM CDT
I mentioned this topic to my wife and she brought up the point that she still finds the AMBUSH update routinely annoying on her rogue; when she types AMBUSH and the parser tells her she needs to hide first instead of making an attack. I guess you can argue it is helping her by letting her know she isn't hidden but her preference would be that it still made an attack vs. having her rogue stand there doing nothing until she remembers to type a different command or is able to successfully hide.

-- Robert

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 06/30/2022 10:51 PM CDT
It was nice to be able to quickly switch between open aimed and unaimed attacks without entering additional parameters or commands. I agree the verb structure of the new way is more sensible than the old, but it pretty much demands a macro, or at least keeping something on the clipboard, if you like to switch between them. Before the change, you were 3 characters away from a done deal. Old habits aside, and I'm not sure they should be, the 3 character thing feels very important. Even the spacing of the letters you have to type (amb) is pretty important. It's hard to change things like this after so many years.

The way AIM interacts with AMBUSH is reasonable. Since going back to AMBUSH is unlikely, maybe a new verb for open ambush only can provide the same functionality - respects AIM settings, can be entered in 3-4 characters with no parser conflicts, and relatively easy to type in a pinch. (For example, think verbs like DRAG, and how they are used.) It might be useful to have for the people using FIRE or THROW, too, to have a verb they can use without needing to change aim settings very often.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 06/30/2022 10:55 PM CDT
Or, alternately, create a verb that just open attacks regardless of aim settings. This way, ATTACK/KILL can be used as it is today, but the simple verb can be used by folks to make unaimed attacks as needed without switching things. Again, could work the same way with ranged/thrown.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/01/2022 01:49 AM CDT
Personally, I'd rather see ATTACK/AMBUSH default to an unaimed attack if the location set via AIM already has a rank 3 wound. This is the main reason I'd want to use an unaimed attack on characters that utilize the AIM verb. Previously, I'd have switched between the two verbs depending on whether I wanted an attack to be aimed or not.... but remembering that using clear as an argument is a thing just isn't happening till just after I hit enter.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/01/2022 04:33 PM CDT
Thanks for the follow up Viduus.

I haven't changed my view, would still like a single verb that just open attacks without having to have aim set a certain way.

I mean, we now do not have a verb that is just a simple open attack all the time.

Jay
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/01/2022 06:43 PM CDT
I used to try to ambush some creatures with some characters for their legs from the open if I was having issues knocking them down with a spell or I can't hide well from them....

But I don't like how you have to AIM for a location now and once you aim you're constantly going for that same location over and over again until you clear it. It makes it kind of a pain in the rear for my warmage since he's swinging at 1 second intervals.

I don't see anything wrong with having AIM how it works, but it would be nice if AMBUSH was left to work as it did.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/02/2022 09:14 PM CDT
It just makes sense to me that if we have two different types of open attack (aimed and unaimed) and two verbs, we match one to one. Being able to quickly mix in different attack styles is a great advantage. Very few of my characters always aim or never aim, it is generally a mix of the two based on the flow of combat. By overly combining the verbs, we now have to type additional words or use other commands to switch between attacking styles. For me, that was a quality of life unimprovement.

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/02/2022 09:55 PM CDT
I also have pretty much given up open aiming as a result of this change.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/03/2022 06:59 AM CDT
Suggestion:

SET LEGACYATTACKBEHAVIOR ON
- ATTACK will always be unaimed (from open or hiding) unless the extended aim location syntax is provided.
- AMBUSH will always use AIM location (when not clear) and will allow AIMED ATTACKS from hiding or the open.

-- Robert

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/16/2022 04:15 AM CDT
>>So, you guys have had a few months to adapt to the new system of attack/ambush. Is this still a valid concern, or was it just overcoming the learning curve involved in adopting a new syntax for combat?

I'm slow on the reply for this because we've been moving and very busy, but yes, absolutely yes. The change is still really annoying and makes me not want to hunt because it's so much more trouble now.

- Andreas
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/27/2022 10:01 AM CDT

Since I've always had macros for aiming and ambushing, it didn't really impact me with my rogue or open attackers. I do actually like it overall, I feel it's an improvement.

p.s: I'm so gonna miss the forums. I gave up on the Mechanics channel on Discord because a huge amount of it does not apply to my interests. I'm going to say this again even if no one in Red recognizes it. You all need a channel for Post Cap mechanics and one for the rest of Gemstone.

Post cap mechanics talk dominates in an unhelpful way for those who need to ask questions or seek information about the rest of the game. There truly is two games of Gemstone these days.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/28/2022 03:16 AM CDT
<Post cap mechanics talk dominates in an unhelpful way for those who need to ask questions or seek information about the rest of the game. There truly is two games of Gemstone these days.>

Very true, esp since HW opened. Unless you specifically state it's a low-level character and/or you have no interest in hunting HW, 90% of the feedback you get on Discord is gonna be irrelevant (and even then, I see advice that can only make sense for those hunting HW). If nothing else the Hinterwilds thread at Mechanics>Mechanics>Hinterwilds needs to be made its own topic at Mechanics>Hinterwilds

Starchitin, the OG

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/29/2022 05:37 PM CDT
Just curious as to what macros you have that mitigate this mechanic? I have basic macros like F3 = Ambush, F4 = Mstrike, and a bunch of others.

Now my F3 is just attack, and of course slower since I have aim set to neck.

It's the current need to set and unset your aim to switch from targeted to open attacks, 3 sec RT difference for my claid, that is causing the grief.

I don't get the type ahead line so limited to 2 commands right? Do I just have to give up a couple F keys to have an "aim clear\r" and "aim set neck\r" macro?

I am on the Wizard FE with no Lich and a basic account, so I have to work within those parameters.

I see the benefit the change made for many players, but it still causes me pain compared to how it worked before.

Olgre's pea brain
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/29/2022 05:48 PM CDT
>> Just curious as to what macros you have that mitigate this mechanic? I have basic macros like F3 = Ambush, F4 = Mstrike, and a bunch of others.

The Wizard FE (and Wrayth fka Stormfront) have a scripting macro language so you can write basic code to do things for you. I believe that is what the OP is referring to when they say macros. The use of function keys would be different (not macros) and the new attack / ambush mechanic doesn't appear to have taken this playstyle into consideration very well.

-- Robert

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/30/2022 06:47 AM CDT
Backwards, Other-Robert. :)

Writing out all that stuff, with branches and command parameters, that's a script.

Having to smack "this one key" and get "a command or two", that's a macro.

F3/ambush and F4/mstrike are macros.

Since I'm usually in a hunting area for several months (or years), I keep a set of F-keys dedicated to "the creatures in this area." So Ctrl+F5 is (for example, in the Lysierian Hills near the Warfarer Mine) set for pumas, Ctrl+F6 is set for mercenaries, and Ctrl+F7 is set for warriors. That lets me walk around out in the village and hit anything I'm going to run into with just a two-key combo.
With the Thief, yes, I have them set to "ambush orc neck" or whatever, but he's really the only one who hides & Ambushes.

I do some times target specific body parts (left leg, right leg) in melee, too.

The suggestion that I had made (bunches of posts ago) was to just add " target clear\r" to your existing macro key. That way I would still hit my same Ctrl+F6 for a mercenary, and by forcing the target to clear be guaranteed that I would not face the added RT for aiming. "\x attack mercenary\r target clear\r".
Once I type in the target clear the first time (and honestly, I would type it once and copy/paste it the rest of the time), whenever I change hunting areas I only update the creature nouns, just like I do now, leaving the rest of the macro (\x to clear the command line, and target clear to keep it the way I want) in place.

Tack that same "target clear\r" at the end of your ambush macro key, and you're done. Aim only when you specify, and otherwise you get 'attack' every time.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 07/30/2022 03:20 PM CDT
Thanks for the correction / clarification Krakii.

>> The suggestion that I had made (bunches of posts ago) was to just add " target clear\r" to your existing macro key.

For my playstyle I used to type "amb" or "att" and some few letters to id the specific target when needed. I use the Function keys for specific spells and maneuvers. So for my pally, they look something like this (I have alt and shift and ctrl function keys as well for some case but the below should provide a solid example):

F1: \xprep pioustrial\rcast
F2: \xincant 1608\rprep stunrelif
F3: \xprep 1604\rcast on my tower shield\r
f4: \xincant dshield

F5: \xshield strike
F6: \xcman truestrike
F7: \xcman feint
F8: \xcman disarm

F9: \xprep 1615\rcast
F10: \xprep 1614\rcast
F12: \xbeseech sword conserve\r

The common theme here being that with very few keystrokes I can do any number of things to my current target or very easily select a specific target by adding a few characters. Hard coding specific target names doesn't really play here well at all. At least not for me.

Prior to the QOL update, I could use ATT or AMB to accomplish an unaimed or an aimed attack with the same ease "att orc" or "amb orc". Post update, now I have to either type CLEAR after the target name every time I want to do an unaimed attack or I have to type aiming syntax after the target name. It's just slower, clunkier, and prone to typos vs. the old method. For me, it's a better trade off to only use one or the other for any give character vs. dealing with the aforementioned downsides of the new system.

It was very handy having an attack command that could utilize AIM and one that did not. I really hope the choose to reintroduce a basic attack command that ignores AIM at some point or provide a setting that will allow you to choose to disassociate ATTACK from AIM (so effectively you could go back to the old ATTACK / AMUSH style - though they sort of broke AMBUSH with the only from hiding change as well).

Anyhow - thanks for the info and I guess we'll see what changes get made based on the feedback that was provided.

-- Robert

Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 08/01/2022 10:24 PM CDT
>Prior to the QOL update, I could use ATT or AMB to accomplish an unaimed or an aimed attack with the same ease "att orc" or "amb orc". Post update, now I have to either type CLEAR after the target name every time I want to do an unaimed attack or I have to type aiming syntax after the target name. It's just slower, clunkier, and prone to typos vs. the old method. For me, it's a better trade off to only use one or the other for any give character vs. dealing with the aforementioned downsides of the new system.

>It was very handy having an attack command that could utilize AIM and one that did not. I really hope the choose to reintroduce a basic attack command that ignores AIM at some point or provide a setting that will allow you to choose to disassociate ATTACK from AIM (so effectively you could go back to the old ATTACK / AMUSH style - though they sort of broke AMBUSH with the only from hiding change as well).

I agree, it's clunky and slower.

I don't see how it was a good QOL change. I don't know why AMBUSH was removed from allowing people to aim while standing in the open.

I see zero reason for not having the AIM verb work like it does now and having AMBUSH work like it did before. I hate the way you have to setup AIM and then clear it. I have a couple of characters I don't use for hunting like I did before because I can't quickly just amb <critter> <location>. I now have to aim <location> / attack / aim clear. I'm typing out more characters to do the same thing I was doing before.

Many, many years of hunting while using ambush from the open and muscle memory has the best of me. When I'm hunting, I forget about AIM and try to use AMBUSH every single time and it doesn't work....so, I don't even use AIM because it's an annoyance and slows things down. I don't even ambush from hiding, having a crit weighted weapon I just use waylay, get good crits from the weapons weighting bundled with copious amounts of added damage, most creatures drop in one waylay for me.

I'd like it if AMBUSH was changed back to function like it did before. AMBUSH <location> from the open. Taking away how something worked for many, many years and adding an extra step is just bad design in my opinion.
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 08/02/2022 11:06 PM CDT
<<That's just it, in my opinion the choices of those cmans are pigeonholing. They pigeonhole you into the role of dirty, underhanded fighters. The actual root was missed by you, that the tools available come off unchivalrous by and large. Headbutt being the least of those but again in my opinion it is dirty fighting. Personally my dwarf has no issue dirty fighting but that's him. Also, yeah I'm quite aware that I've limited my character to a less effective, less min max role by going pure two hander, that's me and its been a part of who I am as a player since I first started playing Gemstone back in the fall of 1992. So I fully understand the shortcomings and weaknesses of my choices. Say la vie as the saying goes.

Paladin's can learn to Pickpocket, right? 99.9999999999% of people say pickpocketing is dirty. But guess what? You most likely don't train in it because it's considered dirty to your PC. So why can't CMANs been seen with the same train of thought?
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 08/03/2022 05:46 PM CDT
>>clunkier

Three cheers for clunkier!

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 08/03/2022 05:50 PM CDT

>>Also, yeah I'm quite aware that I've limited my character to a less effective, less min max role by going pure two hander, that's me and its been a part of who I am as a player since I first started playing Gemstone back in the fall of 1992.

That there is the difference between playing a game, and playing a character.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 08/09/2022 02:17 PM CDT
All I can say is my Bard is pretty boring now. Open Ambush is what we used to call it? He just barrels away with unaimed aggression now, it's a bit like doing laps in the pool or something. He's a great character but I'll have to find a new way to train him or I won't bother. Happens to be my oldest character, from the 90's too. He's only 38, I'd like to see him in OTF eventually.

Dragons r Real
Re: "Attack Verbs: QoL Update" request for return of lost function 08/09/2022 02:36 PM CDT
"Open Ambush is what we used to call it?" -- Hippo-Grande

I always tried to use "aimed" (or not), in order to make the distinction of whether or not Ambush ranks added in for the crit ("from hidden", or not). So you could have
- an unaimed swing while not hidden ("Attack orc");
- an aimed swing while not hidden ("ambush orc left leg");
- an unaimed swing while hidden ("attack orc" and get higher crit results due to ranks of Ambush); or
- an aimed swing while hidden ("ambush orc left leg" and get higher crit results due to ranks of Ambush).