Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/03/2022 06:08 PM CDT
I am trying to setup some highlights and am noticing that the messaging when adamantine armor blocks an attack does not appear to be hilightable. I have tried 'hits you, but' as well as 'off of the incredibly hard surface' from the string below. But for whatever reason the string continues to only display in normal text.

I have noticed a similar issue with some of the text in Duskruin, specifically the messaging that tells you what round it is.

"The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates!"

Note: I am using Wizard FE so if that is the problem then so be it. But my suspicion is that this is not a client issue and is somehow tied to how the message string is being generated. That said, I will make an effort to install and test this using the newer client as well.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/03/2022 06:39 PM CDT
I just tested this in game...

MyChar The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates!

..and I had "hits you, but" in my highlight strings.

Do you think you might have it highlighted elsewhere?

"An announcer shouts, "Round"

I also have that highlighted and never had issues.

Are you running Lich? What Lich scripts are you using? Is this text going to your Game window?

If you want to talk more about this I'm on Discord (Asrial (Arianiss)#1203).
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/03/2022 07:44 PM CDT
Thank you for the response. I hadn't thought to use MYCHAR to assist in testing this issue!

So... If I type
>MYCHAR The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates

Then the highlighting works just fine!

But if the game generates the same message, then there is no highlighting (it comes out as ordinary text.

I literally copied the text line from the game into my MYCHAR statement and the game message, no highlight, MYCHAR, does highlight.

A massive black boar charges at you with its tusk!
By amazing chance, you evade the attack!
Your attention on a massive black boar is keen to spot his critical weaknesses.
>

The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates!
>
AS: +325 vs DS: +298 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +84 = +138
... and hits for 1 point of damage!
Cut over your left eye.
>

>> Are you running Lich? What Lich scripts are you using? Is this text going to your Game window?

Yes, I am using Lich (4.6.55) and the text is appearing in my normal game window.

;version
--- Lich: version active.
```
Ruby version........: 2.0.0
Ruby platform.......: i386-mingw32
Ruby engine.........: ruby
Lich version........: 4.6.55
SQLite3 version.....: 1.3.9
Gtk version.........: unknown
Cairo version.......: 1.14.2
;version Version....: 0.5

Running scripts.....: infomon, lnet, version
Downstream hooks....: fix_gameobj_status, lnet-watch-forage, test
Upstream hooks......: infomon, alias-service, lnet
Current threads.....: 15

Note: I am also using ;sesp.lic which I start manually and doesn't appear in the list for some reason.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/03/2022 07:46 PM CDT
Note: I am out of time for this eve but will test out the recently renamed Stormfront client with this issue tomorrow eve.

-- Robert

Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/04/2022 04:37 AM CDT
Do you already have another, conflicting, highlight? I would think that "hits you" would be the culprit, if at all.

Try something less likely to exist already, like "attack bounces harmlessly off". Though note that you will see other peoples' adamantine bounces, as well.

But "your adamantine coat" is pretty much guaranteed to be just yours....
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/04/2022 04:26 PM CDT
Krakii - the highlighting works... when I use MYCHAR to generate the message in the game window. The highlighting does not work with the exact same message, when the game generates it through combat.

I'll be testing it with the newer client in about 30 minutes or so.

-- Robert

Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/04/2022 05:41 PM CDT
Are there * in the text in game? I wonder if that's triggering an issue with the Wizard not being able to pick it up.
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/04/2022 06:42 PM CDT
This appears to be a Lich issue with how it parses some of the messaging.

I switched to a new profile without any highlighting noise and set a highlight for any line containing the word 'adamantine'.

If I load up Wrayth (no Lich) then the messaging highlights just fine.

If I load up Wizard FE (no Lich) then the messaging highlights just fine.

If I load up Wizard FE with Lich (see config in earlier post) then the message does not do the requested highlights when generated as part of the combat sequence. Instead it shows most of the line in monsterbold except for the words 'hits you, but' which appear in normal text in the middle of the line (no, I do not have any rules for this short string). This occurs whether or not sesp.lic is loaded or not.

Hopefully an upgrade to Lich 5 will address this issue (or maybe Simu will come out with a reasonable alternative to ;go2 and I can simply ditch Lich altogether... o.O). Just waiting to hear that Doug has the latest Lich 5 'one and done' upgrade ready to go!

Thanks for the assistance in trying to troubleshoot this issue! I will definitely post an update once I have Lich 5 installed and can test again.

-- Robert

Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/04/2022 07:42 PM CDT
Well, you have to remove the Ruby you have installed for Lich 4. But then. . . yes - go for it! Most feedback suggests this is a very simple install process.

Several cautions that I'd like to share with you since I know your years of gaming have led to a wealth of information but I don't know where it might all be stored. Reach out to me @ play.net and let's get you set for a rapid conversion!

That said - I do not see the results for the test for Wrayth / SF and Lich. Wizard does some line finagling because we ask for XML, rather than GSL to make things simple. I bet that the line you're trying to highlight has some 'extra xml' stuff in it that is throwing it off because of the way Lich (both Lich 4 and potentially Lich 5) does xml to wizard conversion for presentation.

Which is why I'm interested to know if Lich and Wrayth works. Since XML is native to Wrayth / SF, I'm very hopeful it works there. ;)

Doug
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/05/2022 04:00 PM CDT
>> Which is why I'm interested to know if Lich and Wrayth works. Since XML is native to Wrayth / SF, I'm very hopeful it works there. ;)

Tell you what! If my conversion to Lich 5 goes as smoothly as I hope it does, I'll gladly invest some of the saved time into trying to answer this question for you! :-)

-- Robert

Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/05/2022 06:48 PM CDT
First, a big shout out of appreciation to Doug for his assistance in getting me converted over to Lich 5. The process went seamlessly but I really appreciated that Doug was there in case for some reason it didn't.

Testing results as follows:

Validated highlight working as intended using the following command.

>> MYCHAR The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates

Wrayth with Lich 5
- Highlighting works as expected.
"The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates"

Wizard FE with Lich 5
- Highlighting does not work as expected.
"The black boar hits you, but his attack bounces harmlessly off of the incredibly hard surface of your adamantine coat-of-plates" Note: Same funky monster bold for part of the line as described in an earlier post.

One additional takeaway - it looks like the Wrayth (aka Stormfront) client has gone through some additional updates since the last time I kicked the tires. As someone who has been a WizerdFE4Lyfe client user for all these past decades... I am going to give the new client an honest try once again and see if I can make it work for me this time. I'll post my experience in case anyone else is interested but it will probably take a few days to get all of the highlights, function keys, etc. transitioned over for one of my characters to give it an honest attempt.

-- Robert

Chest hit causes you to spin around like a halfling after a fresh tart.
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/05/2022 08:48 PM CDT

Very kind of you, Robert - thank you.

Do me a favor? Download 'logxml.lic' from the repository, and log a session or two until you capture that line in a normal combat sequence? I'd like you to find that line in the xml code in that log and send it to me so I can sort through why it's not highlighting in Wizard. I too am a Wizard4Lyfer. . . but since I don't play a square, and have no adamantine armor, I'll never see what you can see.

Doug
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/06/2022 10:10 AM CDT

You know, I don't use Lich at all, but I'm deeply appreciative of the work Doug and a few others do in regards to helping players with it. Honestly I'd buy em a steak dinner if I ever ran across them at a gather or SIMUCON just because I do appreciate their efforts. lol. That and how I've told Nodyre's player in DMs that I definitely owe him a dinner for all the silly questions he answers from me since I returned. heh.

The ever appreciative of others player of Celtar, Jim.
Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/06/2022 10:50 AM CDT
>> Do me a favor? Download 'logxml.lic' from the repository, and log a session or two until you capture that line in a normal combat sequence? I'd like you to find that line in the xml code in that log and send it to me so I can sort through why it's not highlighting in Wizard.

Should have something to you before end of day today.

-- Robert

Re: Certain text lines are not able to be highlighted in game 04/06/2022 10:51 AM CDT
>> ...but since I don't play a square, and have no adamantine armor, I'll never see what you can see.

You are really missing out. On both counts!

-- Robert