Bug - Paladin - Spell 1604 Not Working Correctly On Shields 12/24/2021 09:04 PM CST
Hello!

For some time now, sanctified shields with 1604 Consecrate cast upon them do not trigger Guiding Light flares for offensive attacks like shield bash nor reactive on shield blocks. This bug may be affecting other items as well, I only did extensive tests with my shield.

I believe this all started around the Bless 2.0 update but could have been before that as well. I spoke to a GM about this today and they took a look at my shield while noting that the "charges" for Guiding Light on my shield were at zero, even though it was still on fire with Guiding Light and I was unable to cast the spell again due to the game believing that charges still existed. With enough blocks Guiding Light will fade again and let me recast, but still start with zero charges.

They also said that it seems to only work offensively, which this shield and others have been flaring reactively off blocks for a long time until very recently.

Please note that my shield is sanctified since before the Bless 2.0 update and is not using the Cleric sanctify.

Thank you and happy holidays!
Re: Bug - Paladin - Spell 1604 Not Working Correctly On Shields 12/27/2021 08:52 AM CST
I will add a note to this that you used to be able to dispel the 1604 ability from your shield and re-apply it. At present, spirit dispel (119) does not appear to be able to remove 1604 from my shield.

>prep 119
You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Spirit Dispel spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast on my shield
You gesture at an obtrusive steel-spiked tower shield.
Nothing happens.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>examine my shield
Forged from the purest steel, this shield is dark in hue, its once mirrored surface obfuscated by a swirled pattern of opaque crimson. Steel spikes protrude from the reddish foggy sheen, their shafts formed into ill-defined lupine figures, with a haunting, hollow gaze. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph. Heatless violet flames burn across the shield. A strange necrotic haze radiates from the shield.
There appears to be something written on it.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Bug - Paladin - Spell 1604 Not Working Correctly On Shields 12/30/2021 09:44 PM CST
Good to know! Thanks for posting that!

It seems like the buff exists but somehow doesn't exist at the same time?

Hopefully that extra information helps with fixing the problem.

Speaking of.. is there any word about this bug being acknowledged yet? It's been many days since I sent the in game bug report as well as posting here and I really miss my shield flares.

Thanks!
Re: Bug - Paladin - Spell 1604 Not Working Correctly On Shields 01/05/2022 08:06 PM CST
So while testing this out a bit on my own, I can confirm I'm seeing the same sort of behavior: my previous Sanctified (now holy) shield is not exhibiting Guiding Light flares after casting 1604 on it. The loresong for the shield still says:

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the vultite greatshield in your hand...

The harmonics generated tell you that the greatshield has been temporarily infused with a divine flaming substance and is a holy armament for use by a Cleric or Paladin in the fight against the undead. The magical harmonics reveal that this is an item which serves as a shield when held in the left hand.

Roundtime: 8 sec.

I went and bought a vanilla shield from the armory and when I cast 1604 on it, I got the messaging for Guiding Light flares:

>cast mant
You gesture at a burnished mantlet.
Silvery tendrils rise up and wreathe their way around the mantlet before sinking into its surface.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

>l mant
Flickering violet flames burn across the mantlet.

When I sung to the blessed shield, this is what I saw:

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the mantlet in your hand, and you learn something about it...

The first thing that strikes you about the mantlet is the weight, which is about 12 pounds. In your best estimation, it's worth about 60 silvers. You can also tell that the mantlet is predominantly crafted of steel.

Though you don't yet have a full understanding of the mantlet's qualities, you get the impression it would be a simple project (10 difficulty) for an adventurer to modify.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the mantlet in your hand, and you learn something about it...

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the mantlet is as a shield.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the mantlet in your hand...

The way it vibrates in tune with your voice tells you that it serves some type of defensive purpose, different from that of normal armor.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the mantlet in your hand...

The magical harmonics reveal that this is an item which serves as a shield when held in the left hand.
You feel that you have reached the end of the mantlet's song.

None of the verses mentioned the fact that the shield had been temporarily blessed. But if you LOOKed at the shield, you saw this:

A faint aura of holy light radiates from the mantlet. Flickering violet flames burn across the mantlet.

So it looks like the shield is temporarily blessed and has Guiding Light flares. After some more testing with shield maneuvers, the shield I purchased straight from the armory never flared either.
Re: Bug - Paladin - Spell 1604 Not Working Correctly On Shields 01/14/2022 08:57 AM CST
Looks like this has been addressed as of this morning, if not earlier.

Offensive flare

>shield bash giant
You lunge forward at a frost giant with your tower shield and attempt a shield bash!
[SMR result: 216 (Open d100: -59, Bonus: 10)]
Your size significantly hinders your attack!
You lash out with a superb shield bash!
... 10 points of damage!
Blow to neck tears tissue.
The frost giant is stunned!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike to voicebox. The frost giant is speechless!
It is knocked to the ground!
Your attack exposes a vulnerability in a frost giant's defenses!

Your tower shield pulses with a burst of plasma energy at the frost giant!
... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to the frost giant's weapon arm.

Your tower shield sprays with a burst of plasma energy at the frost giant!
... 25 points of damage!
Crackling blue plasma roasts a smoking hole in the frost giant's neck!
The frost giant cries out in cold agony one last time and dies.
The deep blue glow leaves a frost giant.
Your Swift Justice surges through you! Its charges are reduced to 2.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.

Defensive flare

An arctic titan swings a handaxe at you!
You gauge the attack and expertly deflect it with your tower shield!
You manage to angle your tower shield just right so that the arctic titan comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

A spike on your tower shield jabs into the arctic titan!
... 15 points of damage!
Shot to the hand slices a finger to the bone!

Your tower shield pulses with a burst of plasma energy at the arctic titan!
... 10 points of damage!
Searing bolt of energy strikes the arctic titan, scorching a wide swath of flesh!

Your tower shield sprays with a burst of plasma energy at the arctic titan!
... 20 points of damage!
Wreath of energy burns away the arctic titan's hair and leaves skin blackened!
The arctic titan is stunned!

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Bug - Paladin - Spell 1604 Not Working Correctly On Shields 01/14/2022 08:59 AM CST
I will note that Dispel (119) no longer removes 1604 from my shield (Cast version or Channel version). I don't know if this is intended or a 'feature'.

-- Robert