1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Bard Design Proposal 10/04/2021 09:36 AM CDT
Estild — Today at 4:28 PM
In terms of MnM or MnE? It'll be MnE.
Estild — Today at 4:38 PM
Yes. Converting to MnM was too problematic for a number of reasons. While there was broad support for MnM, there was also quite a quite a few players who did not support it for various reasons.
Estild — Today at 4:41 PM
The Bard spell circle changes are the most part important part of it though, so all is not lost by focusing our focusing our efforts there."

-- copied to me from Discord, probably on Sunday 3 October

Part of me goes, "Whew!" because it's less of a change.

Part of me goes, "Awww..." because it's no big change.

Okay! So, "questions on 'things staying the same'(-ish)!"

1) Armor Group:Chain (and AsG12/brigandine) still getting the re-written lower hindrances?

2) Combat Instruments still going to happen?

3) Still considered "Hybrid Elemental" so MC:Elemental still plays into Mana Recovery, Mana Spellup, and multi-cast? (This appears to be addressed by point 1b of "The Elemental Semi" section, but I just want to confirm.)

4) Renewal-check (for incapacity/loss of Songs) still going to be stuck at 60s? (I am currently in the over-10-minute range while wearing full load-out of Enhancive items. I go from "fewer than 6 per hour" to "more than TEN TIMES that many" possible "loss of A LOT".)
* I had suggested using ML:Telepathy ranks as a trainable increase in this duration.
+ However, I feel that the "party member check"--for actually applying Song benefits--should remain at 60s, or even more frequent. (I think Clerics & Paladins check at around 30s?)

5) VibeChant/1002 possibly work ARMOR? Work on SPECIFIED--either 'by hand' [left/right/worn] or 'by noun' [shield/falchion/brigandine]--item?

6) "Dissonance/1003 without the de-buff" looks a lot like Mana Disrupt/702 with +50% cost output. +35% (minimum; or more, would be acceptable) damage output, to go with it?
- Since there was a de-buff/secondary effect, I did not raise this previously, since that was already an addition to cover the higher mana cost. Since that is now going away... What up?

7) Purification/1004: multi-cast in one go, as several folks have requested? (Would save a LOT of time.) Tie it to Mana Control ranks, like Mana Spellup?

8) Lullabye/1005 staying with "really good INFluence lets you upcast effectively", or is it still shifting to level-based SSR?

9) Etude/1006: why is this capped? This is capped, and Mirrors is at +1 per 2 Songs [compared to Rangers 1/1]... why? We have TWO less-effective spells? Why not two less-effective spells that are both uncapped, adding up to "a combination of decent bonus"?
* See also the alternative of going back to Solli & Warden's original design for Mirrors of "+1 per Song rank", like it should have been in the first place. Semi, semi, Song, spell... same same.

10) Banshee's Wail/1008 looks ("Elemental", bullet #8) like it will still switch over to unbalance+impact? Manipulation for 'evoke'/bolt still? Still "chance at disruption" if hit by Sonic Equipment/Dancing Weapon while under the effects?
* I had inquired about a--higher # Lore?--possibility of unlocking the bolt version into a splashy/ball version?

11) Sonic Equipment: Weapon/1012 ("Elemental", bullet #12) says it "stays the same" (with +gear upgradeable); Shield/1009 & Armor/1014 say that ML:Manipulation gives the flares.
* Are they "staying the same" with EL:Air lore (at 3% per Seed step), or--as in the Song list re-write description--are they (all) going to be based on Manipulation (at 4% per Seed step)?
- Are these the "base flares" like Weapon has? Or "normal flares" like a drake falchion has?
+ I had inquired about shaping the shield (or armor) "with spikes" as well (since we're just forming this thing up out of <cough> thin air anyhow...)?

12) LuckSong/Aria/1011, analysis == "no longer gaining immediate RT" from Aria, and also "not gaining 'rooted'/'inflict no Maneuvers' status applied to enemies", while "keeping the ability for a Minor Sanctuary." Yay (on behalf of those who use it).

13) Depression/Requiem/1015: no longer gives additional RT for ML:Telepathy ranks... I had previously inquired "is the base +1s RT still inflicted?"
* Since both the re-written Aria/1011 (for "immediate RT") and the existing Rage/1016 (for "immediate RT") are no longer going to be a thing and we are not getting access to Powersink/1203 for "+prepRT"--and since I have been up in arms about both Slow and "that Paladin spell" getting "immediate RT" added from the Elemental Lore Review--can I ask (again): will the re-written Requiem give "immediate RT" for that base of +1 second?
- Cost for this (assuming you are at the "suck out mana from the target" stage) just "more than doubled" (from 6/renew, to 15/'re-cast').
* Is the "limit to 'only half' of what gets sucked out" still going to be in place? Note that "paying double" could be offset by "returning double" by the simple expedient of... not limiting it to HALF, but instead returning the full amount.
* Is the "and there is an extra randomization in the amount sucked out" going to remain? (This should not even be a thing: there already is a "random check", it is called the d100 roll on the CS/TD result.)
+ I had previously asked whether the "Aria + Disruption" wraparound effect could be used for Requiem == Dirge + Banshee's Wail "can hit as many as 3 targets" to wraparound, as well. Any possibility of seeing that? And/or a way to increase that count of "three" targets?
+ I had also inquired whether the "5-second fire!" effect from Lore would be able to hit a prepped spell, not just a worn one. (Reim Empress is my target, I lay down a Requiem and she loses something worn, she preps... can the five-second effect take THAT [prepped] spell?)

14) I continue to be excited about Traveller's no longer making my throat so bad that I consider drinking stale/poisoned water. Thanks.

15) Cacophony/1017: are the subsequent rounds "more CS/TD checks", like the initial laying out of the spell on the target? Or does it shift to "other" (SSR, CML, SMR, SMRv2, "something else"?) for those later cycles?

16) Power/1018 ("Elemental", bullet #14) says, "Every minute reduces the regeneration amount by 20%. Refreshable."
- Does this mean that you get 100% of the non-Node-to-Node step-up for the first minute, and then 80%, then 60%, 40%, 20%? For me, I am currently getting ~+31/pulse, so that would be 31/25/18/12/6...
...except mana pulses only happen every two to two and a half minutes.
* Does this mean that--unless you time your cast extremely well--you are going to "get the full benefit 'only seldom'"? Does the counter start to tick down "when you get a mana pulse"?
* "Refreshable." Do I have to keep an eye on "Oh, your Song of Power just failed." messaging, and then re-sing it to get my 100% (80, 60, 40, 20) boost re-applied?
- Note that "five minutes" (and "of potentially decreasing benefit"...) is "less than half" of my current duration, which == "THIS Song mana cost just doubled, also." (Lower-level Bards will have it even worse.)
- Is it also going to be "-4 Max Mana" as listed in the last bullet point of the Spell Song Mechanics section?
+ What is really so horrible about just leaving it the way it is (except for adding the "do not blow your fool head off on Renew") and just reduce Max Mana by 4 as a duration Song? Bards currently willing to play the "stop it/start it" game already have it running functionally full time anyhow.

17) Mirrors/1019: See my initial, repeated, and continuing rants about "half as effective as the other-cast Ranger spell that costs less mana."
* Can this be made (== "put back to Solli/Warden original design") +1 per rank?

18) Luck/1020 gear improvement. Sure thing, thanks.
* Please allow for "step #1" to be "REMOVE the 1% spellcasting FUMBLE" as I have previously requested.

19) Dancing Weapon/1025: same question as previously, if the Bard manages to train + Enhance + Ascension their way up to 100 ranks of both ML:Telepathy & Manipulation, do they get both damage types? Both spell-effect adders (at standard ?

20) Disrupt/1030 being "just blast the room" I'm fine with (since we are getting Dissonance/1003 & re-done Banshee's Wail/1008 for lower-level/lower-cost attack spells).

21) Tonis/1035: since there is now going to be a "+ Songs" requirement (in addition to the Lore), AND a higher floor of "twice as much" == "half as effective in combat with weapons", AND a "loss of utility to the group"...
* I had previously had Estild confirm that "NOT all Lore ranks are effective" inasmuch as there was a hard cap on the effect.
+ Can that be revisited? 35 base effect, (+40) 75 for boosted effect as written... (+45) 120 should be -3seconds, and (+50) 170 should be -4seconds, since it is still going to be a 2s floor. (Basically, it would add more utility for the Bard who wants to swing big slow weapons.) Realistically possible for someone without a ton of Enhancives + Ascension? No. But it should be out there as a potential goal.

Apparently people used Peace & Rage all the time, and Unravel & Depression less so. I was the exact opposite, hardly ever using Peace (mostly to climb up from yeti to minotaurs) and Rage never, but Depression & Unravel ALL the time.

The re-write completely removes Rage/immediate RT, cuts the guts out of Depression/eventual RT (+3s of added RT to the room made things a LOT safer!), and "I'm not sure just what the hell is going on" with Unravel/Requiem and how it will work.

So "I has concerns."
Re: Bard Design Proposal 10/04/2021 12:52 PM CDT
"19) Dancing Weapon/1025: same question as previously, if the Bard manages to train + Enhance + Ascension their way up to 100 ranks of both ML:Telepathy & Manipulation, do they get both damage types? Both spell-effect adders (at standard ?" -- Me

Turns out that I boss-keyed this post. <cough>

This should end with: "...adders (at standard-flare chance)?"

Additional thoughts on Unravel/1013:
* Is the TD-pushdown (-1/2 Songs [rounded (NOT truncated), so "15 Songs == 7.5 == -8TD"]) going to remain in place?
(Hopefully, "yes.")

* Is the "if the drain/recovery puts you >= 150% of your Max Mana then you blow your own fool head off" going to remain in place?
(Hopefully, "no.")
(And if the "amount you get to keep from what is drained" gets adjusted as in my previous inquiries, hopefully "not just no but HELL no." [With spell-rank Enhancives, a capped Bard who is "safely down from max" who gets a mana pulse just as they Unravel could potentially pull 252 mana from the target--though I doubt that they would have NO Minor Elemental--which should put them easily into >150% == death territory.])

More on Depression/Requiem/1015:
* Since Rage/1016 is also now gone, how about combining some of the effects? Depression had a base +1s RT, and Rage had instant-RT: can the "degree of failure" from Rage be used for "immediate" RT to affected targets, and the base "+1" from Depression added to their future actions? Particularly since 'no more renew' means "+9 effective mana cost." (== NOW! with 2.5x the cost that it used to was!)

+ Maybe adding more steps/degrees of failure to Rage, but then having the Lore addition be an actual addition to the result (== "raise the floor" of least possible effect) rather than the current (which just says "instead of Level1 or Level2, your Lore enables you to also effect a Level3 result" and then you get the random one)?
+ Ten (or more) tiers, each with a progressively higher minimum/max? 1-3, 2-6, ... 9-27, 10-30. If your CD/TD/d100 result says "you can get Tier 1-4" and your Lore says "+3!", you get "Tier 4-7" and then get randomized.
Re: Bard Design Proposal 10/07/2021 11:22 AM CDT
"4) Renewal-check (for incapacity/loss of Songs) still going to be stuck at 60s? (I am currently in the over-10-minute range while wearing full load-out of Enhancive items. I go from "fewer than 6 per hour" to "more than TEN TIMES that many" possible "loss of A LOT".)
* I had suggested using ML:Telepathy ranks as a trainable increase in this duration.
+ However, I feel that the "party member check"--for actually applying Song benefits--should remain at 60s, or even more frequent. (I think Clerics & Paladins check at around 30s?)" -- Me, #3723

In fact, this can be done fairly easily, since we now have the 'spell active spell', 'buff', and 'debuff' breakouts.
- I think normally see the short-check-duration spells (like Warding Sphere/310, or "Paladin group stuff") is 'spell active spell'.
- But the really short-duration "check before it falls" (like Ensorcell flare) in 'spell active buff'.

So the "group Song benefits" can be shown in 'spell active spell' as they are now, but the "when will the benefit be lost if you are not in group?" timer can be shown in either buff or de-buff, depending.

"<Song of Power thoughts>" -- ibid

Can "deaths from this (in the Duskruin Arena) after having defeated the #25 champion" be retroactively made "not counting against Flawless Champion"? I suspect 30-50 of my 100+ deaths are from just hitting "renew all" after having killed that last, and then losing control of the mana streams/blowing my own fool head off.
Re: Bard Design Proposal 11/08/2021 12:58 PM CST
Granted, October was a busy month for everyone on the GM side.
Still: any word on progress on this front?

Even with "staying Elemental", there remain a bunch of issues that need some answering. (Message #s 3723/3724 have a lot of mine, for example.)

Playtest things soon?
Re: Bard Design Proposal 11/08/2021 02:44 PM CST
I had been just too busy to respond to the initial proposal. Is the "mental option" now gone gone?

Do I need to wait until there is a NEW one now?

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Bard Design Proposal 11/08/2021 07:56 PM CST
Create a mental bard as a new profession, but call it something else. Leave the elemental bard with the basic 1030 nerf and call it something else, too. Then add an elaborate backstory that involves blood feuds and perpetual conflict between the two over musical semantics.
Re: Bard Design Proposal 12/07/2021 12:48 PM CST
"Still: any word on progress on this front?" -- Me, #3827

"Bump", a month later? Any word? Decisions made on any fronts? New document specs for us to tear apart?
Re: Bard Design Proposal 02/21/2022 09:00 AM CST
Okay, so... Is this going to happen? If so, in something like its listed properties? Other?

ML:Telepathy will be going from pretty darn useful--adding the overall medley length/saving mana, adding specifically to Tonis duration/saving mana, and pushing down TD more with Depression--to a lot less impressive: no more medley duration/"they're just on" with reduced mana max, no more group Tonis/no increases to duration, and--it sounds like--still having an added pushdown for Depression.
(And I just remembered group AS boost from Kai's, too, but it's been a while since I hunted with a weapon.)

Just trying to decide which orbs I should stuff into armor getting deFusioned, and I can go with Telepathy... or "something else."

Thanks!
Re: Bard Design Proposal 08/26/2022 10:08 AM CDT
I realized that the GMs working on this may very well not be reading the Profession\Bard topic, so I wanted to make sure that my questions & concerns were noted in the Developer's Corner, as well. Cool points for being exactly #600 post, too. :)
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Professions/Bard/view/600

#602 has a follow-up, as well.
1 2 4 Next Next_page