Update berserk to work with hurl 01/27/2021 09:54 PM CST
Please update berserk to work with thrown weapons. As a thrown javelin warrior, I miss out on an amazing skill from my profession guild for no apparent reason. Support ethereal string or not, primary thrown weapons are missing out!
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/28/2021 06:40 AM CST
I don't believe I have ever heard tale of a Berserk Dagger Tosser. Tell me, how does one aim effectively when overridden with battle lust?

>> you will temporarily lose control of your combat actions

Doug
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/28/2021 08:01 AM CST
>> Tell me, how does one aim effectively when overridden with battle lust? --Doug

Oh sure. He tells you and then the next thing you know everyone is doing it...

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/28/2021 04:03 PM CST
You can swing a battle axe around wildly, somehow aiming towards your opponent, but you can hurl a RETURNING javelin wildly? Odd
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/28/2021 04:57 PM CST
>> You can swing a battle axe around wildly, somehow aiming towards your opponent, but you can hurl a RETURNING javelin wildly? Odd

You can swing a javelin around wildly at your opponent as well I am guessing.

Hurling a javelin (even a returning one) seems like it might require a different skillset and mindset. Just my two silver worth.

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/28/2021 06:18 PM CST
>> Hurling a javelin (even a returning one) seems like it might require a different skillset and mindset. Just my two silver worth.

It literally flies back into your hand. If you can aim a battle axe at your opponent with blood vision, I don't see why you cant throw the thing in your hand at it. Make it use random aiming to be similar to melee.
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/28/2021 10:47 PM CST

You can definitely hurl things whist berserk, my kid used to do that as a toddler.
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/29/2021 02:33 PM CST
Hurling while berserked doesn't make sense to me, I'm sorry.

It isn't the weapon that gets berserked, it's the character. Logically, how could you explain the javelin to be hurled, returned, hurled, etc. in the time a PC could do it melee style?

~EC
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/29/2021 03:40 PM CST
>> Logically, how could you explain the javelin to be hurled, returned, hurled, etc. in the time a PC could do it melee style?

Excellent question!

With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a burnished black vultite javelin into flight.
You throw a burnished black vultite javelin at a wind witch!
AS: +247 vs DS: +131 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +56 = +199
... and hit for 72 points of damage!
Strike to the eye penetrates skull, ocular fluid sprays widely!
The wind witch crumples to the ground motionless.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding a wind witch suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.

Your black vultite javelin soars rapidly through the air, the blade and shaft whooshing audibly with its speed. As it completes its flight, it bursts back toward you, its weight landing softly in your hands, your fingers curling around the middle of its shaft.

Roundtime: 4 sec.

Considering the javelin can "magically" turn around and land in your hands, in less time it takes to swing a sword, I would think it's not an issue to explain.
Re: Update berserk to work with hurl 01/30/2021 11:15 AM CST
I think you should be able to hurl while berserking, thematically. You definitely should lose the ability to aim your shots but throwing all sorts of objects at your enemies in a rage seems reasonable. Weapons, chipped bricks, shoes whatever you can find! All kidding aside, there will be several mechanical limitations when implementing this and it will likely end up being inferior to hurling normally. Even with hurling changes hopefully somewhere in the distant future its kind of a stretch to imagine an "mstrike hurl" being created to make this anywhere close to the melee version of berserk, even with returning weapons.

The best you could hope for right now would be an updated weapon check when berserking to check for thrown weapon bases similar to the UCS check. This would result in a single un-aimed hurl attempt followed by UCS attack rounds for the remainder of the berserk. Returning weapons and warrior bonded weapons returning would change this logic somewhat but it would still be vastly inferior to simply berserking with the weapon as its melee base. Returning weapons are amazing for a lot of reasons but they are not considered the baseline and the core mechanics for thrown weapons need to be updated for this to become a viable option.