Coup messaging 12/05/2020 09:17 AM CST
When holding a weapon in my right hand, and a non-combat item in my left hand, the non-combat item is being used in the coup messaging.

e.g. with a whip in my right hand, and a silver mug of rum punch in my left, its the mug of rum punch that gets used to finish off the critter, although it draws messaging from the blunt weapon pool.

[Roll result: 177 (open d100: 39) Bonus: 25]
You lunge towards the Ivasian inciter, intending to finish him off!
You slam your rum punch into the back of his head with all your might!
Brain matter now decorates the walls!
A supple Ivasian inciter begins to mouth a desperate prayer, but death stifles him.
A supple Ivasian inciter loses its focused look.

Its an amusing way to punch critters, but probably not the intended messaging.

Trained in brawl and twc but not blunt if that's relevant to why this happens.
Re: Coup messaging 12/05/2020 01:08 PM CST
Haha. I have been doing this too, with a shield, which kind of almost makes sense. Rum punch on the other hand, while probably wrong, is so right.

I am pretty sure that it should be using the combat item. That's what it used to use. For those of you not using coup, I recommend you give it another look. With the new RTs, it is pretty great. I'm going to put another rank into it, to lower the HP threshold.

What's great about it:

100% kill success if your coup is successful. No EBP or missed aiming to stop what would otherwise have been a kill.

As before, the messaging remains cool.

The AS boost is a nice perk.
Re: Coup messaging 12/05/2020 01:50 PM CST
Messaging for using the shield in coup ought to exist, but it ought actually to be shield messaging not scimitar messaging.

Negative open rolls is the EBP equivalent. It may not annoy you as much when you see a -75 die roll as when you just see a message about EBP, but its not that different a failure rate.

I don't think its worth it mechanically, but it is a lot less costly to get the messaging than it used to be and I do use it more and have added an extra rank as a result.
Re: Coup messaging 12/05/2020 11:51 PM CST
Negative open rolls are there, yes, but the frequency of EBP varies greatly depending on critter. At like level, EBP is greater than the 5% chance of a negative open roll.

I suppose your mileage will vary, but I'm finding it to be a much improved CMAN with 3 second RT on success and 5 on failure, than it was at 5, 8. Now it's quite useful, particularly for someone like me, who does not often begin combat with a set up maneuver.
Re: Coup messaging 12/06/2020 08:49 AM CST
You can't apply coup until the critter has been set up. EBP might be 30% on some of my targets if I open without setup when I walk in on them, but not when they are ready for coup. Crit and location randomisations are far more important at stopping my normal kill shots than EBP is. Its the balance between those and the critter still having too much blood or recovering from the stun in the lag between me issuing the coup order and the game processing it thats important. Thats shifted quite a bit in favor of coup as a result of the RT change, but not enough for me to consider it efficient.
Re: Coup messaging 12/06/2020 05:02 PM CST
Sounds like we are hunting in different worlds. It's good that there are options.