New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 12:09 AM CDT
A new CMAN, Acrobat's Leap, has been released. Training in Acrobat's Leap allows you to jump to increase your reach while ambushing or using maneuvers that take the height system into account.

Skill Name: Acrobat's Leap
Mnemonic: leap
Hostile: No
Stamina Cost: 1 per foot of reach needed. Increases by 1 in chain armor and 2 in plate armor.
Other Requirements: None.
Available to: Rogues, Monks.
Prerequisites:
None
CMP Cost:
Rank 1: (Squares) 3
Rank 2: (Squares) 6
Rank 3: (Squares) 9
Description: This is a passive maneuver. You are able to leap to increase your reach by 1 foot per rank while ambushing or using maneuvers that take the height system into account. Every 30% of encumbrance reduces your reach by 1 foot.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 05:46 AM CDT
This is neat.

Do critters have varying height? Do players have a way to judge the relative height of a critter without using this cman?

If critters DON'T have varying height, can we get a posting of the race requirements to hit eyes/heads?

Is an eye a foot above a neck?

So many questions. Cool update! Thanks!

~Licel
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 05:46 AM CDT
Does this mitigate size vs. size penalties or just bring heads into range?
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 06:33 AM CDT
Maybe now I can finally play a halfling rogue!

Thanks for the update. :)

Glimmin Goodhand
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 07:35 AM CDT
>Do critters have varying height? Do players have a way to judge the relative height of a critter without using this cman?

Critter heights are static among their own type, i.e., a greater orc will always be the same size as every other greater orc.

>If critters DON'T have varying height, can we get a posting of the race requirements to hit eyes/heads?

That varies based on the critter. Eyes are the maximum height of the target and everything else is less based on which area you're trying to hit.

>Is an eye a foot above a neck?

It's more of a percentage than a flat value.

>So many questions. Cool update! Thanks!

Glad you like it!

>Does this mitigate size vs. size penalties or just bring heads into range?

No, just your ability to jump.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 08:14 AM CDT
Can we get a maneuver that gives us the maneuver dodging ability of smaller races, then? :)
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 09:16 AM CDT
Hi!

Is there a reason this cman isn't available to ambushing rangers? I've stuck with it as my hunting style since the 90s as I still really enjoy it- ambushing criticals are some of my favorite attack/damage messages in the game.

-GK!

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 10:19 AM CDT
If smaller races can jump up to reach head/eyes/neck can humans and elves and taller races jump up into the air high enough to catch a low-flying creature, potentially damaging it enough to bring it to the ground?

The wait-until-they-attack routine becomes unwise at higher levels.

Avaia, player of
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 11:51 AM CDT
<Is there a reason this cman isn't available to ambushing rangers? I've stuck with it as my hunting style since the 90s as I still really enjoy it- ambushing criticals are some of my favorite attack/damage messages in the game.>

I'm also disappointed Rangers can't learn this one... mine is the only character I have that ambushes with melee weapons and this would suit her well.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/14/2019 01:33 PM CDT
This neat, and since it exists could you give the Aelotoi inherent mad hops?
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/15/2019 12:21 PM CDT

Can you add Rangers to that please?

thanks

mitch, gnome ranger who can't reach jack poooooop
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/15/2019 02:35 PM CDT
Oh, while we're giving away racial bonuses to other races, can you make a cman that gives +40 passive elemental TD, like what halflings get?

Can you also make a cman that gets rid of the large race penalty for hitting small critters like Cerabralites?

Also, can we get a cman that gives large races a hiding bonus, like what halflings get?

Oh, and of course, since we're giving away racial advantages to races that don't need it, why don't you throw in a cman that increases regen by 1, like what halflings get?
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/15/2019 05:07 PM CDT
>Oh, while we're giving away racial bonuses to other races, can you make a cman that gives +40 passive elemental TD, like what halflings get?

Combat Focus. There's also ensorcell which, while not a CMAN, benefits everyone and doesn't cost a finite resource (CMP) or upkeep (stamina).

>Can you also make a cman that gets rid of the large race penalty for hitting small critters like Cerabralites?

Both Predator's Eye and Crowd Press help mitigate the penalty. Using smaller weapons also increases your chance to hit what you want to hit. Cerebralites are squishy so using a smaller weapon shouldn't be a problem when ambushing.

>Also, can we get a cman that gives large races a hiding bonus, like what halflings get?

Shadow Mastery.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/15/2019 05:38 PM CDT
Combat focus is only +10 TD, and costs a huge 30 cman points (As opposed to 3, maybe 9 points for enough Acrobat's Leap). But a halfling can get this cman as well, giving them +50 elemental TD. If I had that much TD I could quite literally stand in front of a Lich and laugh at it, and it could do nothing to me. It's by far the most overpowered racial bonus there is, and should have never existed it's so powerful.

I have combat focus and ensorcelled armor + shield, and I still get warded by what I hunt in the scatter. If I was a halfling, I would ward even Liches 100% of the time. The kind of CS you are exposed to in the game, are not so easily overcome, even with ensorcel + combat focus.....unless you have those things AND are a halfling (We're talking as a rogue/monk, here.).

>>Both Predator's Eye and Crowd Press help mitigate the penalty. Using smaller weapons also increases your chance to hit what you want to hit. Cerebralites are squishy so using a smaller weapon shouldn't be a problem when ambushing.

Acrobat's Leap is cheaper than those skills, and doesn't just HELP mitigate the issue of height, but COMPLETELY mitigates the issue. Also, crowd press is 2 seconds RT, and requires you to be out of hiding. Predator's eye only works with small weapons, and uses up a martial stance. I really don't think those skills are even close to comparable. Maybe if you doubled or tripled the cost of Leap.

>>Shadow Mastery.

Except halflings get to stack both their racial bonus AND shadow mastery, and it still benefits them.

As a tall race, Acrobat's Leap has ZERO benefit to me. There is absolutely nothing I hunt that I can't reach without this cman. It will help people in certain circumstances, sure. But those circumstances are pretty few, and thus pretty marginal for most tall rogues.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/15/2019 07:09 PM CDT
>>There's also ensorcell which, while not a CMAN, benefits everyone

I always feel when reading things like this that we're setting the tone for 'base equipment.'

Ensorcell doesn't benefit everyone. In fact, I don't believe I have a single ensorcelled item on any character I portray - each for separate reasons and not suggesting I won't ever.

But more importantly, up to level 20, probably a non-factor. 20 to 65, 'inheritance' types, perhaps - but broad population wise I'll bet it's a bit limited still.

End game and beyond - absolutely (except where not, like me). And my note here is simply to impress that this should never, ever become 'base' for the game at any stage.

;)

Doug
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/15/2019 08:02 PM CDT

>> End game and beyond - absolutely (except where not, like me).

I like that you're broken
Broken like me
Maybe that makes me a fool

I like that you're foolish
Foolish like me
I could be foolish with you

>> And my note here is simply to impress that this should never, ever become 'base' for the game at any stage.

I could have just said +1 but thought this would be more fun. I have exactly 1 character with ensorcelled gear and... that is because he doesn't know any better.

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 04:43 AM CDT

And the little guys just got cooler. Very nice!
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 08:28 AM CDT
If there were more than... three? I think it's three areas in the game where small races can just walk around, and everyone else has to kneel and crawl.
Then yeah, I might see some room for squawking.

If there wasn't the not-inconsequential ability to actually live through a tremendous attack, I might see something. (I routinely dish out, in a single attack/cast, more damage than the character doing it, has... and he's maxxed for race/profession/stat.)

If there wasn't such a huge disparity in encumbrance (between larger body size + CON bonus, and then STR bonus working with body size), maybe.

But in view of all three of those things? Them getting the opportunity to THROW MORE CMAN POINTS INTO SOMETHING just to offset what tall folk don't even have to worry about...
...yeah, I'm entirely unconcerned.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 09:07 AM CDT
I don't recall people ever complaining about the balance of small races. Not once in all my years.

Yet, I can recall on numerous occasions people complaining about how overpowered halflings are.

Now, mind you, when you bring up how ensorcell is less valuable to you, or I say halflings are the best race - Keep in mind that I am ONLY talking about rogues and monks in this case, since this cman only applies to them. I don't care if you're another class and don't need more TD - Rogues and Monks traditionally have TD issues.

That +40 TD is god mode, in my book. That alone means to me, that at the very least, they should have to deal with the height issue. Which is already marginalized as it is, by ranged and UAC.

Encumbrance is only an issue if you let yourself get encumbered. Health is only an issue if you actually die from blood loss (99% of my personal deaths are from crits). Surely these are negatives for a halfling, but from a min/maxing perspective, I find them inconsequential. I could literally leave every loot item I ever find on the ground, and it still would be worth that extra +40 TD to me. There are also so many ways to manage encumbrance these days. As for blood - with enough DS and that lovely +40 TD, it really is inconsequential (again, from a min/max perspective.). Blood is a second line of defense, that does absolutely nothing for you if your first line of defense holds.

Also, they get a hiding bonus in all areas, they get the maneuver avoidance bonus, and they get higher regen. Halflings did NOT need this boost, and it now makes them even more unbalanced.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 10:04 AM CDT
Note that both Gnomish races are also pint-sized (one has the exact height characteristics of halflings), and do not have that TD benefit you tout so highly.
Dwarves are also short, but have not quite as much elemental TD benefit.

The CMan is available to all four... not just halflings. The change was about short folks; not halflings.

"I don't recall people ever complaining about the balance of small races. Not once in all my years." -- CidHighWind

There was in fact a HUGE outcry when the height differential went in.

However, I agree with you that it has been a long, long, long time since anybody made terribly much noise about it, because of the several factors your named (and a few others): Ranged, UAC, sub-20 rapid skill changes, and the oft-repeated advice of "ambush leg, whack the head."
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 10:06 AM CDT
<I could literally leave every loot item I ever find on the ground>

This right here is why most halfling/gnome rogues use ranged.... esp if they also locksmith. The silvers I find in an average hunt is enough to make me encumbered, if I didn't have the RT mechanics of ranged I'd never survive a hunt if I picked up all the rest of it.... and that's with all my gear max light. The few halfling rogues I've met that hunt with melee literally carry nothing more then their armor, weapon, shield, and a container big enough to hold whatever gems/wands/etc they find.

This cman is going to be a boon for far more humans and elves then halflings simply cause there aren't a lot of halfling rogues that use melee.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 10:13 AM CDT
Well, the gnomish races still have their benefits to offset their being short.

Dwarves, TD wise, actually are superior to halflings, IMO! They are actually up there with halflings as the best rogue race, IMO. And an interesting side point - Dwarves are tied for the best pickpocketing race :D

But yeah, I understand that some short races are not as well off as halflings. But this change affects halfling balance nonetheless. Also, I'd say that some of the tall races are not as advantaged as other tall races, either. For example, elves get great Agi and the same maneuver avoidance bonus as Halflings. Giantmen get their great bonuses for the heavy swinging types, etc.. But Humans? I'd say their advantages are rather lackluster as a rogue.

This change, for me personally as a human rogue, is a bit more upsetting. I already feel like human is a fairly poor race as a rogue, and one of the few advantages I could feel good about, over being a halfling, was the height advantage. Now I have almost no reason, other than RP reasons, to not feel marginalized by this change.

I'd sure love a race re-balance! But I know that will never happen!! But if they ever do offer a race change, I'd probably go Halfling at this point. Especially since I hunt the Scatter, and that +40 TD would let me 100% ward everything in there, including liches.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 11:00 AM CDT
Acrobatic leap uses resources (stamina). While the effect may have different limitations and features, it doesn't seem to unbalence small races any more than a bow, learning ewave, sweeping, or legging something. You might as well say qstrike also eliminates the advantages of fast races, which has also not been my experience.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 11:17 AM CDT
I for one welcome our new Halfling gods and goddesses.

Ey so like, I went and got 3 ranks of the skill for science and I wouldn't start panicking about halflings suddenly becoming OP.

This is not a slight against the skill: it just isn't THAT good that the game is going to break down (I'm still probably going to keep it).

As a half-elf with 3 ranks most of the 'real big things' were still too tall to reach eyes/head/neck. Grimswarm giants and monstrosities still can't be hit in the eyes/head/neck, though 3 ranks DOES let my half-elf hit their neck with a large weapon (Katana yes, handaxe no). 3 ranks will let him hit a Grimswarm giant in the BACK with UAC, katars, daggers, etc... so that is a little QOL bump. Grimswarm Giants remain too tall to be subdued.

Things like Illoke, constructs, and other super tall things are still straight out. Can't even reach their backs with 3 ranks as a half-elf.

I understand it may open up halflings to a larger section of the game as a whole, and I'm of the opinion that if they want to invest the CMPs into making their melee lives easier I support it. We've been dealing with the short end of the stick long enough!

I also understand class and race envy but we need to remain focused. We must not turn on one another, and instead keep our rage properly directed at those low-life warmages with their celerity and their 1 second RTs.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting CMan Parkour. Once you achieve 3 ranks of Acrobat's Leap you unlock the ability to train in Parkour! With this skill you're able to Legolas your way up ANY target to strike the head/neck/eyes, earning both the rescpect and envy of all the realm.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 11:27 AM CDT
>I also understand class and race envy but we need to remain focused. We must not turn on one another, and instead keep our rage properly directed at those low-life warmages with their celerity and their 1 >second RTs.

You also forgot to mention certain classes that use mental CS to wreck everything via warding.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/16/2019 11:29 AM CDT
"Now I'm eagerly awaiting CMan Parkour. Once you achieve 3 ranks of Acrobat's Leap you unlock the ability to train in Parkour! With this skill you're able to Legolas your way up ANY target to strike the head/neck/eyes" -- Jaired

Yes, but it would still only count as one.... :)
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/17/2019 04:34 AM CDT
My youngish rogue got 3 ranks in this and can't touch stuff on the glacier. He's a hiding, open hand brawling, ambusher. Perhaps a list of what can and what can't be hit with this new cman would be nice so people can decide whether they want to get this, depending on what they plan to hunt. For my character it seems to be basically worthless. And yes, rangers should get this as well.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/18/2019 06:49 PM CDT
<< Perhaps a list of what can and what can't be hit with this new cman would be nice so people can decide whether they want to get this, depending on what they plan to hunt.>>

My main is a human rogue and his height is around 6 feet and his reach is 8 feet. With UAC he can hit any target of an opponent eight feet or less. Using UAC against a 9 foot opponent would put it's eyes and head out of range but he could still hit it's neck. Weapons extend his effective reach. According to https://gswiki.play.net/Height weapons can extend a character effective reach between 1 and 5 feet. For example my rogue cannot punch a ten foot target's neck because he cannot reach that high with his punch. But my rogue could use cutthroat on a 10 foot target's neck due to the "length" of the dagger used. So we can assume that a dagger adds 1 foot to a character's reach.

Human, Half-elves, and Aelotoi are the same height according to documentation.

A Halfling's height is around 3 feet. If reach is proportional to height then the effective reach for a halfling would be 4 feet?? OR is reach equal to height plus 2 feet across the board for all races instead? I do not know but would think the former is more likely. Assuming the former 3 ranks of Acrobatic Leap would increase the Halflings reach to 7 feet.

I do not yet have a feel for the length of weapons or the effective reach those provide. I know the dagger adds one foot to reach from experimentation.

I will experiment with my human rogue and see what figure out what some of the weapon lengths are.

Wolfloner's player

Steve
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/19/2019 02:38 PM CDT
Rolled up a halfling rogue to test how much reach a halfling has. The halfling was able to ambush the head of a four foot target but not a five foot target. The Halfling has a height of 3 feet and a reach of four feet. So the reach is proportional to height.

Assuming it is proportional a giantman or Erithian whose height is around 7 feet would have a reach of around 9 1/2 feet.

Whether of not the acrobatic leap is depends a lot on race certainly but also the effective weapon length. If a giantman has three ranks of "leap" and assuming a claidhmore is 4.5 feet would be able to hit a fifteen foot frost giant in the head. Not sure how tall the Giants in Sunfist are. Will try to get into a camp and appraise the height of those.

Although I have not tested it Guardians of Sunfists have a lot of "troll (10 to 12 foot tall) camps and swarms and that might make "leap" attractive to rogue Giantman, Erithians, Elves, Half elves, Dark Elves, and Sylvankind but may not necessarily help the shorter races. Will try to take a look at those camps well and see how the heights appraise there.

Will also take a look at the heights of orcs.

Wolfloner's player

Steve
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 08/19/2019 05:00 PM CDT
The trolls in the grimswarm camp were 9 feet. Orcs in a grimswarm camp were six feet. Have not found a giantman camp yet.

Wolfloner's player

Steve
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 02/20/2022 03:33 PM CST

>I don't recall people ever complaining about the balance of small race....

You say that, and yet I recently re-rolled one of my mains (shortly before the Sims Store potions were released), a halfling rogue for another race because of encumbrance issues. They have a nice advantage in one area-and a significant disadvantage in another. Did I complain on the boards? No, not everything has to be complained about.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 02/20/2022 06:58 PM CST
I think encumbrance/warding resistance is about an equal trade-off.
The whole issue of "an extra hundred hit points harder to kill" is still a big advantage to certain races.
Re: New Combat Maneuver - Acrobat's Leap! 02/20/2022 07:07 PM CST
<You say that, and yet I recently re-rolled one of my mains (shortly before the Sims Store potions were released), a halfling rogue for another race because of encumbrance issues. They have a nice advantage in one area-and a significant disadvantage in another. Did I complain on the boards? No, not everything has to be complained about.>

The reason people rarely complain about it there are so few that play small races with melee weapons. Most that try to make melee halflings/gnomes either reroll into another race/profession or pick a different attack style in short order. I do recall a halfling empath that wielded a claid who used to reside in the Rest and seemed to be pretty successful... but he was def the exception.

Starchitin, the OG