Flaring shields and shield spike mastery 06/24/2019 05:47 PM CDT
Do any warriors or paladins know if a spiked shield with permanent flares will flare during the reactive spike of shield spike mastery?

When I tested years ago, I saw that temporary flares Consecrate did not flare reactively. I would like to know if permanent flares behave any differently.

This assumes that shields can have permanent flares.

~Shield
Re: Flaring shields and shield spike mastery 06/24/2019 08:14 PM CDT
<This assumes that shields can have permanent flares.>

Shields CAN have permanent flares, I have a couple with them in various lockers.

As for spikes and flares going off as a result of the same attack if your shield has both, as long as the conditions to trigger both effects are met they should be able to both flare at the same time. It'd prolly be pretty rare though.... I see my warrior's spikes go off a lot more often when using SHIELD maneuvers then when blocking attacks. That's prolly because critters are a lot less likely to be able to attack at all after I've switched to a stance high enough for them to be triggered defensively, though.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Flaring shields and shield spike mastery 06/24/2019 09:58 PM CDT

Thank you for the reply, Starchitin.

Just to confirm: you have seen shields flare on a defensive block? (with or without the spike, but probably only with spike.)

I know they flare offensively (sbash, scharge, sstrike), as do temporary flares.
I know spike mastery allows a spike on a block (reactively).
I know spike mastery with temporary flares will never flare on a block. This is what I'm interested in.

As I think about it... With all the shields I collected from DR I expect one must have flares.

Thank you,

~Shield
Re: Flaring shields and shield spike mastery 06/25/2019 02:51 AM CDT
<Just to confirm: you have seen shields flare on a defensive block?>

Hhhmmm... I was thinking about it wrong, shield flares are like armor flares in that they activate when you're hit rather then when you block. So, the only time both spikes and flares would activate at the same time would be when using maneuvers (ex. Shield Bash).

I don't really use my flaring shields much cause flaring items can't be blessed and almost all the places she's hunted since level 30 have had at least one undead critter to deal with. Spikes don't have that restriction, though, so her spiked shield gets tons of use (the morphing script added to it a few EGs ago doesn't hurt either).

https://gswiki.play.net/Flare#Armor_Flares

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Flaring shields and shield spike mastery 06/25/2019 05:46 PM CDT
>> I don't really use my flaring shields much cause flaring items can't be blessed and almost all the places she's hunted since level 30 have had at least one undead critter to deal with. Spikes don't have that restriction, though, so her spiked shield gets tons of use (the morphing script added to it a few EGs ago doesn't hurt either).

Try having a cleric bless a normal shield. I am guessing it would flare the same as a blessed weapon if the cleric has the appropriate training to include flares with their blessings.

Paladin's can cast 1604 on their spiked sanctified shield for flares and spikes as well.

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Flaring shields and shield spike mastery 06/26/2019 01:13 AM CDT
Bah, I don't have time to hunt down a cleric every time my shield's blessing runs out.... not when I can just use a symbol to bless it myself and go about my business.

Starchitin, the OG