Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/06/2021 06:19 PM CDT
Together

To see her made his heart skip a beat. His words momentarily stuck in his throat. Her sweet smell, that of jasmine and columbine, only a fraction as sweet as the thought of being in the same room as her once again.

Books, a settee, memories of a first kiss, a moment now. Every moment ever to be, as far as he was concerned. This and every moment moving forward. He finally found his voice.

“Rohese.”
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/07/2021 03:47 AM CDT
Wishes Do Come True

There is a time in the day when the blue silk-ribboned sky over Eastern Harbor gives way to the inky velvet curtain of night. A time when the air is fragrant with jasmine and everything goes quiet. A time when the veil is at its thinnest and magic happens; when wishes come true.

Rohese had one wish and a candle still burned in a small glade in Sylvarraend to keep that hope alive.

Walking the halls of the library for one last time that evening, she straightened a few books on the shelves – more out of habit than anything – and glanced hopefully at the top shelf of the nearby bookcase. Nothing. It was then she heard a name on the wind; her name. She tucked her hair behind her ear in the hope of hearing it more clearly. Faintly at first, but there it was again. “Rohese.”

Dare she even hope?

She turned around just as he stepped from behind the bookcase.

“Mirkk!”

Wishes do come true!
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/08/2021 09:43 AM CDT
Perils of the Road

Mirkk had taken some time to gather the things he needed from the bank and his locker in the Brigatta annex of Hale Hall. Among them pouch of gold rings. I only need one, but a few may come in handy. Rohese had reminded him that sometimes the chronomages have their say in matters pertaining to gold rings.

He quietly slipped out from behind the crates near Minstral Hall in the late night hours, carefully stepping over the two men-his uncles men-that weren’t disciplined enough to stay awake. Seeing Rohese the past two evenings had renewed his spirit and vigor. He felt ready for the next part of his journey home.

He exited the pier and headed east toward town. His departure from River’s Rest was just as he had hoped and largely uneventful. He made his way in the general direction of Wehnimer’s Landing and spent the night in one of his secluded spots just out of town. He would wake with the sun, even though he would set out for Ta’Illistim in late morning.

The next morning he made his departure. He stayed off the main road and paths, staying with the forest. This was the time for concealment, not speed. Not being seen in the wilds was the easy part as he moved toward the Vipershroud. The hard part would be the crossing. Just outside the old Elven village, he set one of the gold rings. Hopefully this will do. He approached quietly through the woods until he had a good view of the ferry crossing. Four men had made a camp there. Two of them were sitting by a small fire, cooking something. A third man was lying down opposite them and appeared to be asleep. The fourth man was walking away from the fire toward the dock. He recognized a couple of them from Gallardshold. Orómar has once again proven himself correct.

He needed to get on that ferry, but he needed them to see him do it. The sun was still high enough overhead. They’d probably give chase, but that was okay. He could easily lose them in the forests on the other side if he got far enough ahead, and perhaps shake a couple of them off the rope bridges. He grinned at the last thought.

He observed the ferry that had just docked at the far side of the river. He continued to watch for several trips to and fro, counting the time it took the ferry to cross, and how long the blind ferryman stayed at dock before casting off again.

He saw the ferry cast off from the other side and began counting in his head. Time to move.

He made a dash out of the woods and straight for the dock, running straight through the camp. The men at their camp were taken somewhat aback by this scene of a random man coming out of the woods and running at full sprint toward them. Then, as if things clicked in their minds, they jumped up from their campfire and clambered for their weapons. Mirkk shoved the first man down before he could raise his sword in a backswing, and kicked the second man before he had a weapon in hand. He kept sprinting. The third man grabbed his cloak and started to pull, but Mirkk managed to break free. He saw the fourth man-the large one, Degmir- standing on the dock with a grin on his face, as if welcoming Mirkk. Mirkk lowered his head and ran with full force into Degmir to knock him down. Degmir didn’t budge, he only laughed.

Mirkk fell backwards on his hands and stared up at Degmir.

“Well, look what we found boys!” he shouted to the other men.

This is fine. The plan will still work.

Mirkk gave a wry smile and said, “I don’t suppose you’re going to let me on that ferry, huh?”

Degmir erupted with laughter. “Not a chance.”

Mirkk stood and quickly removed the gold ring from his finger and immediately tried to slide it back on, but Degmir seized both of Mirkk’s wrists with tremendous force.

Mirkk was tall and a decent size and could generally hold his own. Degmir on the other hand was a monster, with several inches and probably a hundred pounds on Mirkk. He moved Mirkk’s arms around as if Mirkk were a doll, causing the gold ring Mirkk was holding to fly out of his hands and into the river.

“Did you need that? Oh, I’m sorry,” Degmir taunted.

Mirkk immediately kicked Degmir between the legs as hard as he could, causing him to loosen his hold and fall to his knees. He could hear the other men running toward the dock. He reached into his cloak and pulled out another ring which pulsed on his finger. He cursed under his breath as he removed it and tossed it at the advancing men. One of them actually stopped to pick it up.

Degmir was standing back up now with a groan and didn’t seem too happy. Mirkk hopped off the dock, darting in the direction of upstream to avoid the other two men coming after him. He grabbed another ring and slid it on, vanishing instantly.

The two men, now joined by the third man who was one gold ring better-off, stood there looking confused and scratching their heads.

Mirkk appeared as he slid the ring onto his finger. He looked around, trying to ascertain where he was exactly.

The stone giant stood up and pulled a tree out of the ground, staring at Mirkk.

“Nope,” Mirkk said and quickly removed the ring and slid it back on his finger, vanishing.

The three men were arguing about whose fault it was that he got away when Mirkk appeared, sliding a gold ring onto his finger. He looked at them. They stopped arguing and looked at him. As all parties began to realize what happened, Mirkk ducked off in a different direction and the men gave chase. This continued for another minute or so.

Degmir was watching these antics from the dock as the ferry pulled up. He watched as Mirkk ran by, turning his gold ring, and then ran down toward the Vipershroud, chased by the three men until out of sight. Degmir waited.

“Casting off in one minute!” announced the blind ferryman. Sixty. Fiddy nine. Fiddy eight. Fiddy seven… Degmir counted down in his head.

“Casting off in thirty seconds!” The ferryman leaned on his pole.

Twenty nine. Twenty eight… Degmir continued counting.

With about fifteen seconds left, Mirkk appeared right where he set his ring with a clever grin on his face. But Degmir was ready for him. Degmir threw his arms around Mirkk and squeezed him in a massive bear hug. Mirkk struggled to break free, but Degmir was too strong. Mirkk had trouble breathing.

Degmir said, “Didn’t think I saw you set that ring, huh?” Degmir squeezed harder and Mirkk could hear his bones popping. He began to feel light headed.

“Casting off! All aboard,” shouted the blind ferryman as he slipped off the ropes and pushed off the dock with his pole.

Locksmehr River stones, like most river stones, come in all different sizes -massive, large, average, small, tiny even- but generally have similar appearances. They are rounded along the edges and smooth from years of water running over them. They make great skipping stones that bounce across the water when thrown properly. The same qualities that make them great for skipping also allow them to fly swiftly and accurately through the air, as our forest gnome friend knew.

One particular average sized river stone flew out of the nearby woods at quite a swift speed. It hit Degmir on the side of the head with a solid thump. Degmir’s bear hug loosened and he dropped to his hands and knees on the dock, holding his head and groaning. Mirkk saw his opportunity, gave Degmir a sympathetic pat on the shoulder as he sidestepped him, swiftly walked to the end and took a large step onto the ferry that was two foot away from the end of the dock and heading across the river.

By the time the three other men made it to the dock and helped Degmir back to his feet, the ferry was already halfway to the opposite shore. Degmir could only stand on the dock and stare at the ferry. Mirkk slowly waved to him from the ferry.

A few minutes later, Mirkk stepped foot on the other side of the Locksmehr. He didn’t even take a look back to the other shore. He started up the trail at a fast pace. He would need to create as much distance as he could between the men to stay ahead of them to Khazar’s Hold. Once there, he was as good as home.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/12/2021 02:25 PM CDT
Division

It took tremendous self-control for Degmir not to strike the old man. He was used to being berated by Donnavan, but never slapped across the face. The old man still had quite a bit of strength and virility to him, but Degmir knew he could crush him if he wanted. Still, Degmir did feel a sense of disappointment. He had been given a task and he had failed. But we weren’t even supposed to be there. That wasn’t a job for Greensmen.

Donnavan walked back over to the long banquet table and sat down. Degmir knew he must be irate at this point. He watched the old man. The table had been set with an assortment of food: a pitcher of water, melons, berries, and various other fruits. He watched Donnavan smack a bowl of fruit, sending it flying across the room where it made a loud noise when it landed on the floor.

Donnavan was yelling again. Degmir could hear him but he wasn’t listening. His mind was elsewhere. He had signed up to be a Greensman, one of Gallardshold’s finest – some of the finest archers in the lands. He had always followed orders to the best of his ability. As such, he had been promoted to sergeant of the watch. He had always wanted to be a career soldier. Now he was being treated like a child. No, he was being berated by a man acting like a child. He noticed Donnavan had stood up again, still yelling.

I wonder how long he will go on like this?

Degmir had taken his time coming back from the Locksmehr. He knew he would catch the brunt of Donnavan’s wrath, so he had allowed his men to take a little rest and relaxation on the way home. Why not? They hadn’t seen a good looking man or woman for weeks. They deserved an opportunity to unwind a little.

Donnavan was close now and Degmir could feel the hot breath in his face. Every now and then spit would fly. I wonder what would happen if I just punched him? Would he strike back? Would he just stand there dumbfounded?

Donnavan was now over by the fireplace, still shouting, but this time waving his arms around theatrically.

This guy was a hero? No, not anymore. His time has come and gone. He’s just a piece of history – some legacy thing that hasn’t been retired, but should be. Some old man with some weird obsession that the Caulfield’s probably didn’t care about. Degmir thought of how nice it would be if the man died, or better, ran off to find his nephew and was killed somewhere along the way. He knew he wouldn’t get promoted to an officer’s rank, but he might get a promotion nonetheless.

He snapped back to reality. It was quiet and Donnavan was just staring at him. Had he asked him a question? Perhaps this was his opportunity to finally tell the old man how he felt – how all the men felt. Yes, perhaps this is the time indeed.

“I said get out of my sight,” Donnavan hissed.

“Yes, sir,” Degmir dejectedly replied. He turned and slowly walked out of the room.

I failed at the crossing. I failed here.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/15/2021 06:47 AM CDT
Retreat

The last few days at Windfellow's Retreat had been a welcome diversion from the usual trials and tribulations of daily life but had also presented difficulties of their own. Rohese knew that she would have to face the consequences of her actions at some point but she had been somewhat surprised by the stark contrast of reactions from some of her friends.

She was troubled.

She loved Daevian – nothing would ever change that - but it upset her that he couldn't accept her decision. No, that was unfair; he did accept it but he couldn't reconcile it with what had prompted it. Rohese doubted he ever would and that bothered her.

Akenna had been kind and pragmatic, as always. She really valued her friendship with the pretty red-headed half-elf – even more so now. Her acceptance of the current situation came as a relief and perhaps understandable given her connections to the Wyrdeep. Her promise to help had been readily accepted and Rohese felt a little more reassured that she hadn't been too harshly judged. Finishing her early morning tea, she massaged her temples in an attempt to rid herself of the dull headache threatening to spoil her day.

Much to her delight, Corlyne and Ceyrin had joined her early on in the festivities. She loved them both dearly and seeing them again eased a lot of her concerns. And then there was Mirkk.

Mirkk. Just thinking about him brought a smile to her face. They had had plenty of time to talk during the festival. Time to reflect on what had happened to them both and what needed to be done in the future – soon, in fact.

Too soon.

The birds Rohese had sent across the DragonSpine last week had yet to yield a reply and she was becoming increasingly concerned about the three elves that had preceded them. There had been no word from Merelle since the last brief missive bearing the cryptic message that the deed was done. Corlyne had been very cagey about what that meant but Rohese had a good idea it was something to do with the events in Sylvarraend a while ago. She had chosen not to pursue the matter for fear of judging her friend's actions too harshly; sometimes ignorance really was bliss.

Conversations between the four of them had been fraught with indecision and dissention but Rohese had held to her desire for conciliation rather than aggressive action. She understood that Mirkk's uncle needed to be stopped but her biggest fear was that Mirkk would ultimately resent her for the schism within his family and familial associates should his uncle fall by his hand. We should at least try and reason with him and know that, whatever happens, we did the right thing. Rohese was somewhat perturbed that Ceyrin had so readily acceded. Ceyrin was usually the first to temper her proposals; Lumnis knows how many times he had smugly reminded her about how he had been proven right to do so. She had a suspicion that there was more they were not telling her.

Rohese took a slow, deep breath then pinched the bridge of her nose. More tea. That might help.

She was dreading tomorrow.

Tomorrow she would have to head west to Wehnimer's Landing for the Revelia Carnivale festivities. Normally, this would excite her. She had promised to host a cocktail party and the usual annual showcase of fashion but she just couldn't get past the fact that it all seemed so trivial compared to what was about to unfold. Mirkk must be thinking how frivolous she was to have parties on her mind right now but she didn't want Mirkk to see how scared she really was.

Serene.

I must stay serene and retreat behind a glamour of efficient calm.

Fold your arms round me close and strain me so that our hearts may break and our souls go free at last. Take me to that happy place of which you told me long ago. The fields whence none return, but where great singers sing their songs forever.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/15/2021 10:27 AM CDT
Whirlwind

Mirkk woke up in the manse earlier than he had the previous day, but glancing about realized his only company was a blue-eyed white tiger. "Good morning, River. Lots to do today," he said. The tiger simply yawned in return. The past two weeks had been a whirlwind, a stark contrast to the feeling of unhurriedness from his stay in the Wyrdeep. Mirkk stopped to briefly recollect on everything that had happened, from being reunited with Rohese, to the festivities, and of being cast headlong into a sea of new and friendly faces. And of course the plans.

Most nights ended late, with he and Rohese staying up with Corlyne and Ceyrin discussing the lingering threat of his uncle and the possibilities for closing that dreadful chapter of their lives and moving on to a happier one. Plans were hatched, agreed to, and shelved. Ultimately he believed a consensus had been made on a final plan that he certainly felt was not the safest or easiest, but was right.

He opened the door to the manse and paused. He could smell the wisteria outside blowing in on a gentle breeze. I have lost myself in her. But she brings me back and reminds me of what is right in this world.

"Come, River," he said to the tiger. The tiger, still slightly favoring one paw, slowly rose and walked through the door to the quiet street outside.

As they made their way through Highpark to the busier parts of the city, he was reminded of what Ceyrin had told him. "The last thing anyone needs is to start a war."

He walked into Galieca's and gave her a warm smile. "You're becoming quite the regular," she said as she returned his smile. "A mug of the chocolate coffee today," he said as he handed her some silvers. "And perhaps one day you'll tell me what you have in the back." She grinned and turned to make the coffee.

Yes, the last thing needed is any type of conflict between the Elves and men. I think I should write to Oromar and let him know our intent. Perhaps Akenna will be able to help.

"Have a good day," Galieca said as she placed the coffee on the counter, bringing Mirkk back from his thoughts. He smiled and nodded. "You as well," he replied before he turned and walked out.

He took a sip of his coffee and glanced down at River. "Well, River. I suppose we should be packing. I won't let her go without us and we will not make her late for certain events at Revelia Carnivale." The tiger gave him a concerned look. "No, I don't think we'll be doing social calls. I'll leave that to Rohese. We're just going to keep an eye out." And I can't bear the thought of being apart from her.

Craze

Donnavan walked up the wooden steps that led from the bailey to the ramparts atop the walls of Gallardshold. At the top, a young Greenswoman nervously snapped to attention and reported her post. "Good afternoon, sir!" she stammered. "All quiet. Reports from the east are..."

Donnavan walked right past her.

Reports from the east... I know the blasted reports from the east!

He stopped at one of the embrasures and stared north, beyond the aging wooden table used in archery practice; beyond the targets at the bottom of the grassy slope, and beyond the Wyrdeep. He stared passed the Wyrdeep as if trying to see beyond the DragonSpine to Ta'Illistim. The reports he received from the east were not pleasing to him. Degmir had informed him just a few days ago that Mirkk had made it past the Locksmehr Crossing and with haste made it inside the mountains. All other stations had reported no sightings. Rumors had swirled that Mirkk and his lady friend had holed themselves up behind the walls of Illistim and hadn't been seen outside them since.

He clenched his teeth at the thought.That boy is gaining too much favor from the Elves. First the Wyrdeep and now Illistim.

Donnavan had to figure out how to reconcile the finances of keeping his men out in the wilds for so long without anything to show for it. He had not included anything in the previous report to the baron, and he was already late on the current report. He could now only afford few patrols around the area until he recouped his losses.

Yes... the boy is gaining favor and it seems I may be loosing mine.

Movement caught his eye, and he looked down from the mountains to the edge of the forest. Everything was still now. What movement he thought he saw was gone.

Donnavan turned back toward the stairs. "Good afternoon, sir! All q-

"Shut it," Donnavan sneered as he walked passed the sentry and headed down. This needs to end.

Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/19/2021 04:44 PM CDT
Rider

Degmir stood silently beside the door to the hall. He was quietly trying to eavesdrop on the conversation Donnavan was having with a gentleman of nobility that had come to call. Degmir was certain the Baron wouldn’t be pleased with the latest reports and he wanted to know if that is what this meeting was about. As he stood, head inclined toward the door, he heard commotion in the hallway. He turned as saw a rider that from the looks of it just arrived. The rider made for the hall, but Degmir stopped him.

“They’re not to be disturbed, friend,” he said in an authoritative tone.

“I have my orders,” replied the rider as he started to move through the door.

“The old man says he wants no interruptions. He was very clear,” Degmir said a little more firmly.

“Oh, I think he’ll want to know this,” the rider said definitively and pushed passed.

Donnavan and the other man were seated in two winged back chairs that had been brought in and placed before the fireplace. The fireplace was still unlit, but provided a nice backdrop for the meeting. Donnavan, mid sentence looked up at the rider and in an annoyed tone said, “Yes? What is it?”

The rider bowed to the two men slightly, then walked forward and presented a letter to Donnavan and said, “From the Landing, my lord.” Donnavan, annoyed and uneasy about the situation, glanced at his guest and with a forced apologetic tone uttered “Excuse me a moment,” before standing up and walking in the general direction of the door, bidding the rider follow.

Degmir, who had his head leaning beyond the threshold of the door, quickly ducked back out of sight but continued to listen intently.

Donnavan opened the letter and scanned its contents. He gave an incredulous look at the messenger. “You’re kidding?” He asked the rider. “The Landing of all places?” he asked in a quieter tone, as if remembering he had a guest in the room. He bid the messenger walk toward the door with him.

“Revelia Carnivale, at that,” he mused. “Looks like their bold enough to come west of the Spine after all.”

Degmir heard Donnavan thank the rider and thought he heard him pass on some silvers. A moment later, the rider walked out, gave Degmir a smug look, and walked down the hallway and out of sight.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/20/2021 04:06 PM CDT
Faith, Hope, and Love

There was an unsettling air of finality to everything lately. The festivities at both Windfellow's Retreat and Revelia Carnivale had drawn to a close, along with her responsibilities over the annual fashion showcase and Rohese felt a sense of trepidation about her future. Their future. Her future with Mirkk. She loved him with all her heart and she was confident in his love for her; that wasn’t in any doubt. What was uncertain was whether his uncle would continue to play a part in that.

She had left Mirkk to his last-minute preparations; he was obviously tense and she thought it best to leave him alone with his thoughts for a while. Their impending journey south was going to be fraught with danger but she trusted him to know how best to deal with it. The plan was to meet up with Ceyrin and Corlyne in River’s Rest and go on from there to Bourth together but they still had a long way to go.

Rohese tightened the straps beneath Isilme’s saddle and gave them one last tug to ensure they were secure. Her saddle bags were packed and she was dressed appropriately but a quick glance at her hands reminded her to find some gloves. The faint text that usually lay dormant just under her pale skin was now running fluidly back and forth, rising to the surface like bubbles on a pond, only to dissolve again. It was the only outward sign of her agitated state and she needed to conceal it from Mirkk. He didn't need anything else to worry about.

Resting her head against Isilme's, she closed her eyes and exhaled. She usually found the company of her horse to be a comfort but today it was an additional worry. Should she really risk Isilme's life too? Was she about to lose everyone she loved all over again?

Opening her eyes again, she watched as words bubbled up on the backs of her hands only this time, they were legible for a brief moment.

Have faith. Have hope. You have love.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/21/2021 04:29 PM CDT
Doubt

"I can't do it!" Rohese cried, tears streaming down her face. She stood alongside the chestnut filly, her head barely reaching its withers.

Her father had been keen for her to learn to ride at a very young age and she had managed well on the small ponies. Now it was time to progress to a horse. Tymian Bayvel was a patient and quietly spoken man. He had spent all morning encouraging his daughter to walk the horse around the paddock and getting it acclimated to the saddle she would be using.

"As I showed you, child. Up you go." He smiled at Rohese and gave her a nod of encouragement.

"I can't, Ada." She sobbed. "I just can't."

"Yes, you can, Rohese."

"I can't, Amma!" Rohese objected. "Please don't make me."

"Don't be silly, of course you can." Her grandmother calmly countered, handing her the book once more.

"Just balance it on your head and walk across the room as I showed you. You want to make a good impression at Court, don't you?"

Rohese sighed. "I don’t want to go to Court at all."

She had dreaded this day. The day she was to be presented in the Argentate and would have to talk to a room full of complete strangers. Her grandmother had explained that this was when arrangements were usually made for advantageous marriages and it was Rohese's turn to represent the Bayvel family. Her sister Poladra had been presented when her time came and her engagement to the son of a notable dignitary had just been announced.

"It's time, child. You can't spend all your time with your books, you have to play your part in society."

"I can't!"

"Yes, you can, Rohese."

"I can't!" Rohese insisted, despite Sighisoara's reassuring arm against her trembling body. Facing the mural on the wall of the Maaghara Tower, she shook her head and took a step back. Rohese recalled all the stories she had heard about this place; of the creatures imprisoned within and the potential dangers she would face.

"Yes, you can, pixie." Sighisoara assured her. "I won't let anything happen to you."

"I can't!" She pleaded, "I'm scared."

"Yes, you can, Rohese."

"I can!" Rohese cried. Mirkk lay dying in her arms and no matter how hard she tried, she was unable to summon up enough spiritual energy to restore his life. Completely broken, she merely bowed her head, allowing the curtain of her pale silver hair to fall across his inert form.

"You can't help him," a hollow voice responded. "No can save him now."

"I can!" She repeated, her voice now barely audible as her own life drained away along with his.

"No, you can't, Rohese."

No reply was forthcoming.

She woke with a start and sat up. Glancing around, she saw Mirkk sitting by the fire, gazing into the flames, and breathed a sigh of relief. He looked up and smiled at her, beckoning her over. Rohese wrapped a blanket around her shoulders and rose to join him.

"Bad dream?" Mirkk asked, pulling her close and wrapping his arms around her. He kissed her forehead tenderly as she nodded. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Rohese shook her head and settled her head on his shoulder. She was in no doubt about how much she loved him but she doubted herself and her ability to keep him safe.

I can't lose him again.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/26/2021 11:17 AM CDT
At the Oars

It was very dark- almost pitch black. Mirkk couldn’t see anything, but he could feel. He could feel the worn smooth wood in his hands. He could smell. He could smell the distinct smell of saltwater in the thick air. He could hear. He heard the rhythmic slapping on the water. It was all too familiar and also something he never wished to ever hear again.

Almost instinctively, though he was uncertain why, he gripped the oar and began to row with the rhythm of the other oars slapping the water. His hands weren’t as rough and calloused as they once were. His heart began to race. This can’t be happening.

The oars continued to slap the water outside the ship.

I can’t be here. Not again.

The oars began to pick up their pace. In turn, Mirkk rowed faster as well.

I can’t do this again. I can’t lose everything I love again. I can’t lose Rohese.

Faster still the oars.

He looked around in the darkness but saw nothing. Then, with a shudder and a crash, the slaver came to a halt and he could feel water pouring in at his feet. Above, he heard screams and could smell smoke.

No. No! This can’t be happening!

The water was rising. First to the ankles, then toward his knees. He jerked his legs, but he was chained to his bench. The water was above his waist now.

He reached for the chain around his ankle and began to pull. The chain wouldn’t budge. But perhaps he could pull his foot through? The water was almost to his chin. He pulled and pulled, the shackle cutting deep into his ankle.

He tried to shout but only swallowed the briny water.

Mirkk sat up quickly in a cold night sweat. Thank the gods! Did I scream? Did I wake her? He looked and saw Rohese was still fast asleep. Good. It was much easier to deal with night terrors when sleeping under a tree at night.

He stood and walked to the fireplace and stared at the embers. He continued to hear the screams in his mind.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/29/2021 02:16 PM CDT
A Letter Sent

Mirkk, knowing their time of peace and tranquillity was ending soon enough, sat down at the writing desk and took his quill and a sheet of silver edged paper and paused for a moment. After a long, contemplative look, he dipped the quill in the inkwell and began writing.

My Lord,
I feel it necessary to inform you that my party of four plans to make our way to Gallardshold by way of River’s Rest over the next week. The intention is to have a candid but peaceful conversation with my Uncle Donnavan of the Greensmen. My aim is to settle things amicably and to possibly forgive him for his actions against me so that we may all move forward and live our lives. I have a star that guides me.
My purpose in writing you is to allow you time for any preparation, even though your Elves will know of our approach long before the men of Gallardshold. I hope you can understand why I am doing this, and that I least of all wish conflict at your doorstep. I will avoid it as well as I can. I only request that when you sense we are near, to deliver a message to Gallardshold to inform them we come under a banner of peace.
I feel you have given me so much already, for which I am undeserving. There are still no adequate words I can say to thank you for your assistance. Should you ever need anything from me, I am humbly at your service.
Sincerely,
Mirkk Timbertree of Bourth

He folded and sealed the letter, stood, and walked to the door. He opened the door and flagged a servant in the hallway and said, “Please see this gets to Lady Akenna Laeraun for further delivery to Lord Oromar of the Forest.” The servant nodded smartly and walked back down the hallway.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/29/2021 04:48 PM CDT
Time

It was time to go.

Everything had been packed for a while and they could no longer delay their journey south. They had a short stopover in Solhaven planned for the Bookworms gathering on Feastday and then it was on to River's Rest to meet up with Ceyrin and Corlyne.

Mirkk checked the stirrup straps on Isilme one last time and held out his hand to Rohese to assist her. She smiled and kissed him softly before mounting her filly in one graceful motion. Taking the reins, Mirkk then led them both from the City Stables and out onto the North Ring Road. Passing through the North Gate, they made their way unnoticed through the Lower Dragonsclaw Forest and towards the rolling hills of the Upper Trollfang. The only sound was the crunch underfoot of the countless numbers of acorns littering the ground beneath the canopy of timeless oaks.

It had been a quiet morning. Rohese and Mirkk had barely spoken since waking at dawn but the silence between them wasn't strained. They were comfortable in each other's company and seemed to understand when the other simply needed time to think. Rohese had sensed over the last few days that Mirkk was troubled but she didn't want to press him on it. He had maintained a facade of positivity throughout all of their conversations, reassuring her that it was all going to be fine. Rohese was beginning to have reservations about confronting his uncle though, despite it being at her behest. From everything Mirkk had since told her about Donnavan of the Greensmen, she doubted whether it would yield the results they hoped but it was too late now; too much had been put in motion and it was the right thing to do, after all.

Time will tell.

The sun was high in the sky by the time they reached the Cairnfang Falls where the river disappeared over the precipice with a deafening roar. Rohese dismounted and, guided by Mirkk, led Isilme along a narrow ledge of angled rock as it began its descent to the cliff's base, threading through a series of switchbacks between slippery outcroppings and boulders. Finally reaching the bottom of the falls, they headed through the clouds of mist and a curtain of young pines to find themselves at a hidden pool ringed with sandstone ledges and a tiny beach of golden sand.

With a sigh of relief, Rohese removed her boots and walked barefoot across the soft sand. Stepping into the icy cold pool, she gasped but allowed the water to lap gently over her feet. She instantly felt refreshed. It was a beautiful summer’s afternoon and she regretted that they couldn’t spend the rest of the day relaxing in the sunshine.

There was no time.

Mirkk helped himself to an apple, a chunk of bread and some cheese from one of the packs. Respecting Rohese's ritual of daytime fasting, he offered the apple to Isilme and headed over to one of the ledges to eat his alone. Meanwhile, seated on the sand, Rohese rummaged through her bag and pulled out a stylus and a bottle of ink. No matter where she went, she never left home without assorted writing implements; they comforted her. Opening her journal, she cast a glance over at Mirkk as he finished his lunch.

Time flies and with it goes my thoughts. I should write them down in case I never get the chance to tell him how I feel.

Rohese smiled to herself as she penned the last few words in elven. She knew how keen Mirkk was to learn the language so she always tried to share a few sentiments in elvish with him. Conscious that time was getting away from them, she safely stowed her things back in the pack and reluctantly pulled her boots back on. She wandered over to join Mirkk on the ledge.

Taking Rohese's hand in his own, he brought it to his lips and settled his gaze on her.

"You recently said you wanted to understand why your sister and Naamit did what they did to you so you could forgive them?"

Rohese nodded in affirmation. "In time I hope to."

"Forgiveness means a lot to you, doesn't it?" Mirkk asked.

Again, Rohese nodded. "Through practicing love and forgiveness, you can transcend all suffering and move into a space of profoundly deep joy, peace and harmony in every moment." Smiling at Mirkk, she added, "I read that in a book a while ago and it is something I truly believe."

Mirkk smiled slightly and merely commented, "I may need some help with that."

Rohese kissed his cheek. "That’s what I'm here for."

Time brings all things to pass.

An hour later, they had passed through the Cairnfang Forest and were following the river towards the cliffs above Solhaven Bay. The sound of their soft footfall transitioned into a rhythmic clip-clop as they passed through the city walls and down the cobbled Tumbledown Lane. Close to the bottom of the Vornavis cliffs was a tidy row of stone cottages facing the bay, sunlight glinting on their glaes window panes. Set back from the thoroughfare was a slate-roofed, umber brickwork mews; their home for the next few days.

The muted form of the sun appeared as a haloed silver disk from behind a veil of clouds on the western horizon and the shadow of a pair of black-headed terns circling overhead fell over them both as they walked through the door.

Time flies over us, but leaves its shadow behind.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/30/2021 11:29 AM CDT
Willow

The willow is known for being the tree most associated with the moon, water, and wisdom. It is the tree of enchantment and communing with her during a full moon can increase the potency of insights to be gained. Her energy puts us in touch with our feelings and deep emotions, and it is the ability of the willow to help us to express them. Approached with respect, willow is a wonderful teacher and will whisper to us if we are still and willing to listen.

It was fortuitous that Rohese and Mirkk had arrived in Solhaven on the evening of a full Liabo moon. Since their arrival, however, Rohese's thoughts had been distracted by the susurrus of a willow and, as if in response, the text flowing beneath the surface of her pale skin seemed to be urging her to heed its call. She had chosen not to mention any of it to Mirkk; she wasn't really sure why, other than it would be easier to explain once she was clearer in her own mind why it felt important.

It was almost midnight when she rose from her bed and reached for a robe. She made her way silently downstairs. Reassuring herself that Mirkk and River were fast asleep in the library, she slipped out of the mews and into the stillness of the night.

She ran lightly up the steps of Tumbledown Lane, the cobbles slick beneath her barefeet, and out onto the Outlands Road heading east, the whispering willow beckoning her closer. It wasn't long before she reached the ancient tree that had been calling her, its canopy of arched branches and streamered leaves forming a pavilion of living green that straddled the edge of the Rockspawn River. Parting the curtain of leaves, Rohese stepped through and onto a lavender carpet of moon-dappled shadesilk blossoms that covered the bank to the water's edge. The willow leaves touching the water created a border of tiny wakes on the surface of the river as it flowed westwards. It was all so mesmeric.

Taking a deep breath, Rohese stilled her mind. Just visible through the rustling canopy was the beautiful ivory moon in all her glory. Gazing skyward at the shining beacon of light in the night sky, she gently tied a loose knot in one of the supple branches and whispered the words of the spell that had been flowing across her hands all evening.

"Under the ivory moon, so bright,
Willow, hear my wish this night.
In your branches, I bind this spell,
Grant me wisdom so all goes well."

A warm breeze stirred the leafy branches and lifted her hair. The gentle whispering of the willow filled her ears once more.

"Relinquish your attachment to the known, step into the unknown, and you will step into the field of all possibilities."

On hearing the willow's words, she lowered her gaze and noticed that the ink beneath her skin was lying dormant. A line of text was just visible on the back of her hand and she could read it in the pale moonlight.

"Everything you ever wanted is on the other side of fear."

Anxious to learn more, she tied a second knot and murmured another incantation.

"As she wanes, so let doubt flee.
Willow, take this fear from me.
Guide my actions, step by step.
So our goals shall all be met."

The whispers of the willow grew louder in her ears with its gentle song of reassurance.

"Embrace the uncertainty; allow it to lead you. Be brave as it challenges you to exercise your heart and mind as you create your own path towards happiness. Don't waste time with regret."

Rohese glanced at the back of her hand again. The previous text had faded and new words bubbled to the surface of her skin.

"Death is the only thing that will keep him from you."

Furrowing her brow, Rohese pondered this latest revelation. What could it all mean? Taking another deep breath, Rohese tied a knot in a third branch and continued her invocation.

"Ivory moon in bed of night,
Silvery wisdom granting sight.
Hidden knowledge revealed anew
Willow, guide me; tell me true."

The willow branches rustled on the breeze and whispered their final refrain. A thin green willow leaf drifted to the ground and landed at her feet.

"Have faith. Have hope. You have love."

The same words in her ear also appeared on her hand, as they had done so a few days ago. The ink then faded, dissolving away beneath her skin and the willow fell silent.

Rohese retrieved the leaf, slipping it into her robe pocket. Resting her hand on the trunk of the ancient tree, she murmured her thanks, as Elaejia had taught her. Slipping back through the curtain of leaves, she hurried unseen back to the mews and to her bed where sleep carried her away to a place of enchantment.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/30/2021 12:09 PM CDT
Preparation

A voice calls to you from out of view. The voice resonates with you in a familiar way, flooding you with peace. You turn to look and see a long empty corridor of carved stone stretching before you endlessly. Unease settles over you quickly, as the corridor seems to continue to stretch before your eyes. You feel compelled to walk down the corridor, towards the empty nothingness... towards the promise of the familiar voice. As you walk, the passageway narrows and becomes tighter around you, until it touches your shoulders. Soon the passage insists that you turn to your side in order to proceed. You hear the voice call to you again and a moment of relief passes through your being, briefly replacing the increasing anxiety that the narrowing space is causing. You proceed forward, shuffling through the tightening corridor, no sight of an end still to be found. Without warning, the darkness ends and you can go no further. Your shoulders cramped nearly to pinching now, your anxiety is replaced with frustration as you turn to go back the way you came but you cannot. The wall behind you has closed in, and your frustration builds. You tilt your head up to scream and your vision is filled with the ceiling you never noticed rapidly approaching you in this tiny space.

Ceyrin gasps to catch his breath as he thrashes himself awake. Panic washes over him immediately, followed by regret and guilt. He looks over to see his formerly sleeping partner, having obviously been awoken by his sudden outburst.

"I'm sorry...", Ceyrin starts to apologize.

Before he can finish, Corlyne reaches over and rests her palm against Ceyrin's face and compassionately shushes him. "I know you are. You've been doing it for weeks now. I'm sure it's not on purpose."

Ceyrin closes his eyes, straining against the intense emotions and adrenaline still surging through him. Ceyrin repeats himself, "I'm sorry."

Silence hangs in the air for a moment, gently broken by Corlyne's question, "Sorry for what, love?"

Ceyrin remains quiet and motionless, his tears welling up behind shut eyelids. He opens his eyes and looks directly at Corlyne, his face filled with anguish. Ceyrin attempts to speak but no words manifest, instead tears stream down his face in silence.

For being me.

Squeezing his eyes closed, Ceyrin takes a moment to control his breathing, visibly relaxing as he realizes Corlyne's hand never left his face.

No...

Ceyrin takes another deep breath. "Thank you", he offers as he reaches up to his face and puts his own hand over Corlyne's and embraces her with his other arm, whispering again, "Thank you."

With some reluctance, Ceyrin explains, "I am sorry I woke you so early. I have some final preparations for our trip I should see to", then he gives Corlyne a brief kiss before withdrawing and shifting himself out of the bed.

I don't have to...

"Get some more rest," he bids while outfitting himself with the armor and other gear he'd left on the table the night before, "I'll find you in a couple of hours."

Ceyrin gives Corlyne a warm smile, gazing at her for a long moment. He then winks playfully before turning to exit the bungalow. Corlyne listens for the click of the lock before she rises again, her arms reaching upwards for a half-hearted stretch as she quickens to the window, watching Ceyrin's form disappearing down the pathway. She turns to begin her morning, her fingertips instinctively brushing against the scars across her lower back as she changes into her armor.

She murmurs to herself, "Not if I find you first."

Dawn's early light gives way to the more persistent glare of Phoen's Orb, fortunately the direct glare is less an issue in the Saewehna Jungle. The humidity on the other hand likely 'wakes up' even earlier than Ceyrin does. Sweat already rolling down his face and chest as he hunted down the few remaining bandits he'd been tasked to dispatch.

I wonder how much lumber we will need...

THWWWWWWP The sound of a concealed net trap drawing closed around Ceyrin is a familiar one to him, much to his chagrin. Within seconds a group of three bandits approach, their crude weapons matching the rest of their appearance. Perfect. Ceyrin scans his surroundings as best he can while simultaneously reaching for the drakar dagger he keeps tucked in his mantle. The three bandits move closer to attack, spread out roughly four feet apart and taking flaking positions. As the trio moves to strike, an evanescent shield flares to life around Ceyrin several inches away from his body, absorbing the impact of the strikes and buying Ceyrin enough time to finish cutting his way through the cinch at the top of the net that is entangling him.

Ceyrin braces for the drop to the ground as he cuts the last of the rope, the sizzle of hemp filling the air as the drakar makes short work of it and the now defunct trap disgorges him onto the ground. Still reeling from their previously unsuccessful attacks, the bandit trio begins to regain their focus and seem irritable now in addition to ugly. As Ceyrin rises to his feet he takes measure of each of the bandits, memorizing their positions -- three runes on the ethereal bracer upon his left forearm glow brightly in response to his thoughts. The somatic component of the censure Ceyrin begins incanting is enhanced by the row of runes glowing brightly on his left forearm. Though the words were the merest whisper as they escaped Ceyrin's lips, for the bandits it was a much different experience.

"For your transgressions, a contract has been placed against you. The price for your life has already been paid."

Ceyrin's left arm moves rapidly and without interruption as the incantation for his spell ends. First across his body, then straight ahead and finally to his left, at each point a soundless bolt of cobalt energy is fired quickly towards each bandit in succession. Each bandit drops dead, as the ethereal energy strikes them squarely in the chest. There is no blood, and the wounds themselves look more like the affected portions of their body simply ceased to exist rather than that actual harm was done.

Abruptly, the rest of the net that spilled Ceyrin to the ground seconds ago finishes smoldering away from the cinch and falls unceremoniously onto his head, partially entangling him again.

I dislike nets.

Ceyrin stood before the quiet lagoon, entranced by the deep blues of the water. Mentally, he was far afield, thinking about the changes happening rapidly around him and within his own life.

There are no preparations save practice killing. He already knew what was going to happen. He wanted Rohese and Mirkk to see what they're truly up against. There will be no settling, only violence and hatred. The same sort of negativity he tasked Rohese with defeating years ago, and the task he will now set upon Mirkk as well. This is the cost of his involvement in this affair. This is how Mirkk and Rohese will make good with him.

How they will make good with Lord Onar is another matter.

All life has a price in death that is carried with it. This is irrefutable. Each living animal by virtue of continuing to exist does so upon the death of something else. In this sense, we are all killers. It is in being mindful of this process that we show gratitude not only for the death of the thing we use to continue to exist, but the life it had prior to becoming part of our own.

Ceyrin's thoughts are interrupted by the hand to his shoulder from Corlyne who had caught up to him a while ago.

"I hope we'll get to share this with out friends, Corlyne."

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/31/2021 06:25 AM CDT
Cat Among the Pigeons

Merelle released the arrow and heard a solid THUNK as it hit the chalk mark on a tree trunk in the distance. A second arrow immediately followed, telescoping the first. Merelle turned swiftly with another arrow nocked in her longbow but lowered it as she saw Eithyn approach with a wide grin on his face.

"Jerk," she muttered but returned his grin. "Any word from Talitha yet?"

Eithyn shook his head, pushing the hood of his cloak back over his shoulders. "I'm sure she'll be back by nightfall." His attempt to be reassuring lacked conviction though.

Merelle made no secret of the fact that she was concerned. Talitha had left two days ago to scout the woodlands that Bourth was so famous for. Ever since Jensur's body had been found, the Greensmen had been on high alert; it wasn't often one of their own was murdered inside the garrison. Corlyne had left shortly after the deed, citing other responsibilities, so Merelle had agreed to stay on with her colleagues to relay any news to her.

The garrison at Gallardshold was a warren of alleyways, dark corners and obscure vantage points; perfect for keeping a low profile whilst remaining vigilant. Merelle had quickly found her way around and established a few useful contacts among the community. To date, there was nothing much to report other than fewer guards drinking in the tavern.

Eithyn loosed another arrow into the tree, hitting the mark cleanly and sending a flurry of startled birds from its leaf-laden branches. Merelle's arrow followed, striking a blackbird from the sky.

"Bad omen," she noted, to which Eithyn rolled his eyes with a chuckle. "You and your superstitious nonsense."

An hour later, the pair had returned to the garrison and were making their way to the tavern. A ruckus behind them made them pause and turn only to see two guards dragging a semi-conscious elf between them. It was Talitha. Eithyn pressed his hand firmly on Merelle's arm and shook his head as she made an instinctive move to rush to her aid.

"Wait," he snapped, pulling her into the shadows. "There’s nothing we can do at the moment."

Talitha's hair was caked with dried blood down the right side where she had suffered a blow to the head. The guards hoisted up their prisoner and continued towards the inner gate that led to the keep.

"We can't let them take her in there!" Merelle protested.

Merelle forcefully shrugged away Eithyn's hand and reached for the longbow slung over her shoulder. Pulling an arrow from her thigh-quiver, she took aim at the guard nearest to her. Eithyn gave a sigh of resignation and, nocking his own bow, nodded once at her.

"Together then and make it clean."

Two arrows flew from the shadows, arching over the heads of the unsuspecting townsfolk and felled both guards in quick succession. Talitha dropped to her knees with a moan. Merelle and Eithyn darted through the crowd and scooped up their injured companion between them. In a flash of grey and brown silk, they retreated down the nearest alleyway and out of sight; cries of alarm fading behind them.

Eithyn checked the bandage around Talitha's head. Apart from the wound at her temple and a mild concussion, she appeared to be in good shape. Eithyn had given her some herbal tea to help her sleep while he and Merelle discussed their options.

"It’s time to leave."

Eithyn had remained adamant despite Merelle's arguments to the contrary. An hour later it had been decided.

"We should send word to Corlyne then," Merelle relented, reaching for the quill tucked behind her ear.

Merelle wrote four words on a slip of parchment and rolled it tightly.

Now to find Shen.

The sooty grey kestrel banked around the River's Rest lighthouse and soared over the willow tree in the Town Commons in search of her quarry. Tilting her outstretched pointed wings slightly to maintain her intense scrutiny, she finally spotted Corlyne walking along the River Road and swooped down with an ear-piercing shriek.

Corlyne looked skyward and smiled as she saw Shen glide down to make a perfect landing on her outstretched arm.

Retrieving the roll of parchment attached to her leg, she nodded to the kestrel who sprang skyward again with a quick beat of her wings.

Unrolling the parchment, Corlyne read the hastily scribbled note.

"Cat among the pigeons."

"Oh, Merelle. What have you done now?" Corlyne sighed with wry amusement.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 07/31/2021 06:20 PM CDT
The Messenger

With his hood low enough to shadow his face, Rynor made his way through the tiny cobblestoned street on his stag. Ahead he saw a group of them, white leather cuffs on their left wrists, he had hoped he could make it to the Black Mare before these ones caused him trouble. He had kicked himself silently for not bringing his sword; if a fight broke out, his daggers would have to do, he wouldn’t be able to use his bow in a close fight. He had left the settlement so hastily, when the pigeon came from the inn, all the way out to the settlement. He knew that whatever was at the inn was important or troubling. Especially if his daughter had sent word and paid so much silver to send a messenger bird out into the Wyrdeep.

One of the men shifted but kept his eyes on the hooded figure riding the stag. “Elf” the other scruffy man next to him spat out. The third kept his eyes on his companions before murmuring something to them. They looked at their compatriot with disappointed faces before they all cleared out of the street, turning their backs on Rynor.

“Caught a break, it would seem.” He thought silently to himself as he clicked his tongue at the stag to quicken the pace.

Not far up the street, he slowed to the front of the inn. A windchime decorated with hawk feathers, tinkled outside and was a welcomed sight to anyone who might be considered a friend. He made his way back to the stables, handing off his reigns to one of the boys, and made his way in. This inn was probably one of the cleaner ones in town, and nearly every patron was an elf or a half-elf. He strode into the common room, removing the hood of his cloak, his sienna hair shone brightly in the noonday sun coming through the windows.

“Rynor, is that you?” he heard a deep voice ask behind him. Turning around, he met the unusually tall man’s gaze with a smile. Ulein stood there, towering over him his deep voice rumbled with a chuckle, and he moved to hug Rynor. “I wasn’t expecting you for at least another day.” The larger man said.

“Greetings old friend, I rode swiftly. Tell me, why have you sent a messenger bird all the way out to the settlement. What is so important?” Rynor inquired.

Ulein sighed and tucked some silver hair behind his pointed ear, looking down at Rynor he shrugged his massive shoulders. Rynor had always wondered if Ulein’s other half was giantman, but he never thought it a polite question to ask.

“Miss Laeraun sent a messenger, and he told me to send a bird. I told him it was going to be expensive, he pulled out a bag of silvers as big as my fist and gave it to me. Said miss Laeraun didn’t care how expensive it was, just that you needed to be summoned here.”

“Summoned for what, exactly?” Rynor asked curiously.

Ulein waved at Rynor to follow him to the front desk before he himself walked behind it. He pulled out a package and two letters and slid them in front of Rynor. Rynor pulled the parcel and letter closer to him for inspection. Rynor chuckled to himself quietly before uttering, “That girl wants something enough to bribe me”. Ulein flashed a dazzling grin and moved away from the desk to give him some privacy. Rynor looked down at the sealed letters, one had writing that was not in his daughter’s hand and was in common. He thought it curious, but instead of inspecting further, he found the other sealed letter, written in his daughter’s compact and neatly written elven. He opened it and scanned the letter a smirk playing across his face as he went on to read:

Dearest Father,
Friends of mine need your aid. They need this letter given to Oromar, an Elder not too far from the borders. I know you have friendly trade with many of the settlements around there. Please see that this gets into his hands as soon as possible.
For this favor, I’ve also included a gift. I know, you say you never need them papa, but I thought a new sword might be in order. I’ve enchanted it myself and it is of the highest quality eahnor I could buy.
I love you and miss you so much. I hope grandmother isn’t working you too hard or demanding too much of you, don’t let her. I know you tend to let her have her own way, but you shouldn’t. Give my love to her. I don’t think I will be home any time soon but know that I am happy.
Love Always,
Akana’li’nae

He refolded the letter, tucking it back into the envelope it had come in, and slid it into his jerkin. He settled his grey gaze on the second letter and picked it up, placing it with the first letter. He began to tear back the paper surrounding the package, within its confines was indeed a new eahnor sword, its metal shown a blood-red hue and he could feel the touch of his daughter’s magic upon it.

It is almost as if she knew I left my sword behind.

“Ulein, I’ll take a meal and a bed tonight, if you have it.” The massive half-elf returned to the desk and nodded to Rynor. “Already taken care of, courtesy of Miss Laeraun.”

He chuckled and sighed “Of course, it is.”
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/01/2021 05:12 AM CDT
Sunset

Happiness is sharing a sunset with the one you love and the setting sun over Brisker's Cove that evening was truly breathtaking.

With it came a sky of fire, the burning red and orange of a winter's hearth. Mirkk watched the sea, lost in the rhythmic percussion of the waves washing over the shingle and the creaking of the ships' anchor ropes as they strained against the tide. His eyes were steady to the horizon, face aglow with the last fiery rays before twilight summoned the nocturnal canvas on which to paint the stars. His face bore the semblance of a frown, just enough to show that he was in a pensive mood.

Rohese stepped closer, so that he could feel her presence, yet she stayed quiet, allowing him to stay lost in the moment a while longer. Hearing him exhale, she laced her fingers with his and lay her head on his shoulder.

Mirkk kissed her tenderly on the forehead and broke the silence.

"I'm sorry," he said. "This should have been a perfect evening but..." He broke off, pulling Rohese into his arms and holding her tightly to him.

"It's alright, I understand." Rohese looked up into his piercing blue eyes and smiled softly.

She could lose herself in those eyes, a deep lagoon blue that always seemed to reflect back her own thoughts; so perceptive, so aware. How could she possibly hide anything from him.

Mirkk kissed her, his lips slightly salty from the sea spray.

"We'll come back when all this over and enjoy the sunset properly."

"I'd like that," she said, returning his kiss. "We should probably get some sleep now though. We have an early start in the morning if we want to reach River's Rest by nightfall."

Mirkk nodded, reluctant to release her but conscious of what lay ahead. Taking Rohese by the hand, he led her away from the harbor just as the sun sank beneath the horizon and the fleeting colors of dusk faded away.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/02/2021 05:14 AM CDT
Blood and Soot and Mud

Mirkk found himself standing by a familiar wooden table looking down a gentle slope toward some archery practice targets. Something was off though. A young boy was sitting cross legged in front of the targets, covered in blood and soot and mud, crying. The field was much bigger too. He heard marching.

He looked west and saw an army of men marching. What are they marching toward?

He looked east and saw an army of Elves approaching. In the middle of the two was the small boy.

Without hesitating he sprinted down the hill toward the child. At both his flanks the armies were closing with each other. He could hear the war cries of the warriors. He ran faster. He ran harder. He felt like he wouldn’t make it in time.

As the armies began to close with each other around him, he managed to scoop the boy in his arms and ran into the Wyrdeep. Things will change on me.

His surroundings shifted. He continued to run with this precious child worth saving in his arms. His surroundings shifted again. He was surrounded by fire. The whole forest was ablaze. He looked down in his arms and he was now carrying charred split wood. He dropped the bundle. Sparks flew up from every direction. Everything was burning.

He saw a wyrwood tree burning. He turned and saw a willow tree branches burning like fiery tendrils. He looked for an opening and found a small one, still ablaze but possible. He ran, pushing his arm up in front of his face for protection. He broke through.

There was more fire, but he was on the deck of a Krolvin slaver now. A blue haired figure with a greatsword stood before him, facing away. Mirkk slowly moved forward. He reached out and put a hand on the shoulder of the figure and spun it around.

His uncle was facing him, laughing. “I hope this is what you wanted, boy!” he shouted.

Mirkk sat up in a cold sweat, out of breath. River raised his head to look at him.

Another dream.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/02/2021 08:20 AM CDT
Tempest

Having packed their belongings for the journey the night before, the group said farewell to River’s Rest and set out on foot early that morning. Wispy cirrus clouds lazily stretched across the sky to created a brilliant display of purples, blues, pinks and oranges as the sun’s rays began to creep over the jagged peaks to the east. They could see the Citadel emerging above the trees to the south.

The party of four were walking along a widened path that traced the main road along the south of the Tempest River. The Great Cataclysm had changed the landscape both geographically and economically. Much of the trade that used to travel down the Tempest to River’s Rest was now diverted overland to other parts of the Empire. This expanded new trade routes from Waterford to places like Nydds and Tamzyrr and also created new ones. Newer routes had been developed to circumvent the elevation change, however that would have added an additional day to their travel, so the group opted for the cliffs instead. There was less travel on the roads for this leg of their journey than there would have been years ago. They had just climbed one of the routes that had been cut along the edges of the cliffs that now created Tempest Falls. The incline was steep, and the climb was tough.

At the top, as the terrain leveled off, Corlyne and Rohese, followed by River, unintentionally broke away behind Ceyrin and Mirkk. Mirkk glanced over his shoulder a moment and watched the two ladies laughing together in enjoyable conversation. It made Mirkk recall all the conversations he had over the past few weeks with Rohese’s friends. One thing that stood out was how many of them said it was so nice to see her happy. This brought a slight smile to Mirkk's face. Ceyrin was keenly watching the road ahead.

“Ceyrin…” he said in a quiet but sure tone. “I have another request if you.”

Ceyrin looked at him with crystal blue eyes, studying Mirkk’s face in a manner distinctly of Ceyrin’s. “What’s one more, I suppose,” he said with a shrug and went back to studying the route.

“Ceyrin, if things go sideways on us, which I think a high possibility…” He paused.

“You mean an inevitability,” replied Ceyrin in a distracted tone, his eyes fixed on the path ahead. He and Corlyne had most recently made this journey and were more familiar with the new routes.

“I need you and Corlyne to make sure Rohese is safe. I need you to get her out of there as quickly as possible.” Mirkk had a concerned look on his face.

Ceyrin again studied Mirkk’s face as they walked. After a moment, he briefly turned his gaze toward the two Elven ladies walking behind them. “You mean if you are struck down or otherwise, which I had already considered,” Ceyrin stated frankly, focusing again on the path ahead.

“Yes, correct,” Mirkk said. He adjusted the straps on his pack. He usually only carried a slung bedroll on these journeys.

“And what about you? Or your remains?” Ceyrin asked without hesitation.

“Ceyrin, I am not worth the lives of the three of you. I am so thankful for you all accompanying me to Gallardshold, but I want no harm to come to any of you. This is between my uncle and me.”

“And Corlyne and I get to deal with a broken Rohese? I think not,” Ceyrin interjected.

Mirkk pleaded, “They’ll have archers trained on each of you. You may not have any time. Use a nexus gem if you have to. That was the backup plan all along. Please. I need to know you’ll keep her safe.”

Ceyrin pulled out his ivory-bowled obsidian pipe. “I will ensure Rohese is safe, but I make no other promises.”

Mirkk nodded once. “I suppose that is the most important part. But please consider this: few will miss me if I’m gone. If something happened to Rohese, or worse, if Rohese turned on them, which of course you must have considered, there would likely be conflict between Elves and men.”

Ceyrin didn’t say a word. He only took a puff on his pipe and lost himself in thought as they continued down the path.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/03/2021 05:55 AM CDT
Dilemma

Corlyne sliced an apple cleanly down the middle with a twist of her knife and passed half to Rohese, who accepted it with a faint smile. Corlyne watched her closely as Rohese simply stared at it in her hand.

“Worms?” Corlyne quipped, taking a bite of her own and leaning back against the trunk of a tree.

Rohese giggled softly and shook her head.

“Sorry,” she sighed, lowering her hand into her lap and continuing to just gaze absently at the piece of fruit.

“Are you ready to talk about it yet?” Corlyne added quietly, taking another bite.

Rohese lifted her eyes to Corlyne’s and inclined her head.

“What do you mean?”

“Rohese, I probably know you better than you know yourself and there is clearly something that has been bothering you for days. I’m just waiting for you to tell me what it is.”

Corlyne reached over and took the apple half from Rohese’s hand and proceeded to eat it.

Rohese laughed.

“Well, you obviously didn’t want it!” Corlyne shrugged and gave her a wink. “Come on, spill. What’s up?”

Rohese sighed again and glanced over at Mirkk who was sitting near the fire with Ceyrin. The pair were deep in conversation, and, judging by the state of the log they were sitting on, it was something intense. Mirkk had been stabbing idly at its surface for at least ten minutes with his dagger and had now started peeling the bark back in strips to expose the pale wood beneath.

Corlyne followed her gaze and nodded.

“He does love you, you know.”

“Oh, I know!” Rohese replied. “That’s what worries me.”

Corlyne laughed. “Only you would find that worrisome.”

“That’s not what I meant.” Rohese giggled, reaching over and retrieving the remainder of the apple from Corlyne’s hand. “He’s going to try and persuade Ceyrin not to let me be there when he meets with his uncle, I just know it.”

“Of course he will. He’s going to do everything he can to keep you safe and if that means binding you to a tree outside the garrison until it’s all over, he’ll do it and, what’s more, I will help him.”

Rohese stared at her friend in consternation.

“Honestly, Rohese, what did you expect?” Corlyne continued, rummaging in her bag for another apple. Coming up empty handed, she stood and wandered over to the packs stacked behind Ceyrin. Returning to Rohese with a handful of plums, she handed one over and resumed her seated spot against the tree.

“Judging by the damage he has inflicted on that log, I imagine he has already made that decision and is just wondering how best to handle it.”

Rohese gazed down at the piece of apple and the ripe plum she was now holding.

“And how am I going to convince him otherwise?” Rohese asked in exasperation.

“You can’t. Just accept the fact that we all love you and want what’s best for you.”

“And what if I insist on being there?” Rohese countered, her voice tight as she contemplated both the choice of fruit and her dilemma over Mirkk.

“I imagine he will be difficult to convince but you know him better than I do.” Corlyne smiled at her. “Now eat something or you won’t have the strength to fight him either way.”
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/03/2021 07:40 AM CDT
A House Divided

Mirkk walked ahead down the gravel road. He looked back, but he couldn't see his companions. He faced forward again and walked through the open iron gates toward the house at the end of the road. He paused for a moment in the courtyard. The house, a stone three story manor backed against the phthalo forest of evergreens behind, looked strangely familiar, though he had never before set food inside.

He walked up the evenly cut flagstone steps and hesitated before trying the door. It opened. He stepped inside the two story foyer and saw a sweeping staircase before him. He could also see through the back door which was propped open and into the dark forest beyond. He looked right and saw a sitting room with tall ceilings and tall windows with light streaming through them. The furniture had been covered in sheets to protect from dust. It was as if the owner had been away for a time. Based off the lines of the sheets, he could make out two settees and several chairs before a grand central fireplace. There were intricate carvings along the pilasters and frieze of the fireplace and the overmantle, but he couldn't make them out. The rugs had been rolled and placed along the wall to one side. The tapestries were also missing, likely rolled and stored, if in fact the owner had been gone.

He looked left and saw a large library. There were only a handfull of books remaining on the many dark wood shelves. The ceilings were just as high as the sitting room's, and there was a library ladder to access the highest shelves. There were several settees in this room, also covered by sheets. There was also what looked like a desk in the other corner. In the middle of the far wall, between the bookshelves, was another fireplace. The wood was carved along this fireplace as well, though with different and still indistinguishable patterns, and one of the plinths was loose and slightly crooked. Above the fireplace and mounted in the overmantel was a crest - on a field of black was a silver oak tree with three distinct, yet broken branches.

The walls and floor around him began to shake. The ladder toppled over and the few books that remained on the shelves fell onto the tiled black and white marbled floor. Mirkk turned to head back to the foyer as hunks of plaster began to fall from the ceiling.

Trying to keep on his feet, the whole house now looked as if in a state of disrepair, like it had not just been unvisited for many years and unkept. The sheets covering the furniture in the sitting room were moth eaten. There were cobwebs on everything, and leaves had apparently blown in over the years and collected in corners of the rooms and hallways.

The ground began to shake more violently. Mirkk had to hold onto the doorframe to not fall over. He managed to make his way back outside, down the flagstone steps and back into the courtyard where he turned and looked back at the house. Then, without notice, the right side of the house collapsed into a heap, kicking up dust and sending debris into the courtyard. As suddenly as that had happened, the left side of the house also collapsed, spewing more rubble into the courtyard. Mirkk pulled out a handkerchief to cover his mouth from breathing in the dust.

As abruptly as it had started, the quake ended. Only the central part of the house remained standing.

Mirkk woke and sat straight up. Another dream. He looked at the campfire that was burning out, though still had some flames burning low as it flickered. He saw Corlyne staring at the fire as she sat across from him on a log. It was her watch. He couldn't tell if she was staring at the fire or through it at him.

"Bad dream?" she asked as she continued to gaze in the direction of the fire.

"No, just...a dream."

“There’s always absinthe,” she responded.

Mirkk made a gagging face and grinned slightly as he laid back down and turned away from the fire, but he wondered if Corlyne was still watching. He wondered if he had shouted in his sleep. He wondered if he had said anything. He wondered for quite some time before he finally fell back to sleep.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/03/2021 09:03 AM CDT
A Step Ahead

Walking along a road with the crunching of pebbles underfoot, Mirkk smiled at Rohese.

"They're great together, aren't they?" he asked her, referring to Corlyne and Ceyrin who were walking ahead of them.

"They are! I'm so happy for them both! I imagine we'll need to prepare for a wedding soon," she said softly.

“Truthfully,” Mirkk said, “you should talk to him. You’ve known Corlyne for a long time. Ceyrin feels…well, I shouldn’t assume how he feels, but I know how I feel. You should speak to him.”

Rohese smiled at Mirkk. “Yes, I suppose this journey gives us all ample opportunity to catch up.”

Mirkk nodded. She kissed him on the cheek and then picked up her pace until she caught up with Corlyne and Ceyrin. After a moment, Corlyne fell back and Mirkk caught up with her.

"Sleep well?" Corlyne said with more than a hint of sarcasm.

Mirkk smiled amusedly and shook his head. "Just anxiety, I think. It keeps me restless at night." He paused. “Corlyne, you’ve known Rohese for a long time. And you have Ceyrin’s affection, obviously,” Mirkk said to her. He was not beating around the bush. They all had limited time.

Corlyne smiled at him. “You’re concerned about Rohese in the event something happens.” She said this in a knowing statement rather than a question.

“Yes. How did you…”

Corlyne laughed softly. “I had a talk with Ceyrin. He informed me of your conversation with him.”

Mirkk couldn’t help but smile at the situation. “Fair enough. There are clearly no secrets between you two,” he said. And likely no secrets between the three of you. “I need the two of you to put a priority on Rohese’s safety. Above all else.” He glanced uncertainly at Corlyne as he said the last few words.

She smiled at him again as they walked. “You need me to convince Ceyrin to prioritize her safety,” she said.

Mirkk realized she was clearly one step ahead of him. “I do. I need you both to make sure that this stays between me and my uncle, and that it doesn’t escalate between the Empire and the Nations.”

“And you don’t think she’ll resent us for it?” replied Corlyne.

Mirkk pulled a folded and sealed note out of his cloak and pressed it into Corlyne’s hand. “If things don’t go well, you can give her this.”

Corlyne took the note and tucked it away. “And how do you think she’ll get on without you?” Corlyne asked deliberately. She clearly was not beating around the bush either.

Mirkk hesitated, then finally said, “She is one of the few pure and good things in this world. People are drawn to her, for one reason or another, because of that. I need her. You need her. The world needs her.”

“Have you ever stopped to consider how much she needs you?” Corlyne responded pointedly. Mirkk just looked at her dumbstruck, as if the thought had never crossed his mind. Corlyne smiled at him and simply said, “Hopefully it won’t come to that.”
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/03/2021 02:33 PM CDT
A Step Closer

Rohese hooked her arm through Ceyrin's and smiled at his somewhat startled expression.

"I thought it was time you and I had a little chat."

Ceyrin merely smirked at her.

"I wanted to thank you."

Ceyrin raised an eyebrow in her direction.

"For making Corlyne happy." Rohese added, smiling at him again. Was that a smile she saw on his face too?

"I hope you're not going to do anything foolish like stand aside because of some ridiculous notion that you're not good enough for her."

More of a declaration than a question, Rohese matched Ceyrin's quirked eyebrow with her own.

"I did consider it," Ceyrin admitted. "I won't though. You have my word on that," he promised.

Rohese kissed him on the cheek, pulling him closer to her as they walked side-by-side. "Thank you, I would hate to have to hurt you," she added playfully. "Now that's out of the way, there was something else I wanted to talk to you about."

Without waiting for a response, Rohese decided it was best to simply come right out and say it.

"I know what Mirkk is asking you to do."

"Do you?" Ceyrin countered, likely urging her to finish her assertion.

"He's going to ask you to keep me away from his uncle and I won't allow that to happen."

She stopped, pulling on Ceyrin's arm to prevent him from walking any further.

"Ceyrin, I'm serious. I need to be there with him."

She looked directly into his eyes, noting that they were a similar shade of blue to Mirkk's and with the same perceptive glint.

"I'm not a child, Ceyrin," she continued. "You have to stop treating me like one!"

Rohese glanced back down the road at Mirkk and Corlyne. They were deep in a conversation of their own and Rohese thought she could see Mirkk hand her something. Dismissing it for the moment, she turned her attention back to Ceyrin.

"I love him and I will not stand by and let him get hurt, or worse..." Taking a deep breath and biting on her bottom lip, she added. "And I hope you won't either."

"None of us are in control of what comes next, Rohese, not truly. Allow me to disabuse you of any further notions you may have." Ceyrin's words were even and without a hint of negativity. "With that being said, I am here to see that all four of us walk away as unscathed as possible," he reassured her.

An apple core soared through the air and hit Ceyrin unceremoniously on the back of the head. He and Rohese turned to see Mirkk and Corlyne pointing at each other with faint traces of a grin on both their faces.

"Mostly," Ceyrin quickly revised. "Mostly."

Rohese laughed softly, trying to hide her amusement from Ceyrin but failing dismally.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/04/2021 08:24 AM CDT
Let Them Come

A faewood arrow fletched with creamy white hawk feathers flew straight and true. Wrapped around its shaft was a small note that was tied with the finest of string. The faewood arrow left the edges of the forest, passed by the practice targets and over the clumps of clover. A rabbit raised its head momentarily, curious at such an odd sight as the arrow passed overhead going that way.

The arrow continued in an upward trajectory, passing a wooden table and hitting its target with a solid thunk. It buried itself two inches into the massive oak doors of the Gallardshold keep.

After a moment, the sound of several clunks and chains being pulled could be heard from behind the doors as the guards removed the bar and raised the portcullis. One door opened slightly and a Greensman recruit ducked out, and with some effort removed the arrow from the door and slid back inside.

Donnavan unrolled the slender note that had just been handed to him and read the contents.

Mirkk and party of three will arrive within two days. They come in peace. For every Greensman archer, we will have three. We are watching their approach.

"This also came with the note, sir." The faewood arrow fletched with white hawk feathers was placed in front of him. It was a message in and of itself.

A sneer crossed Donnavan's face. “Then let them come.”

A Silver for Your Thoughts

The four continued on their way along the narrowing Tempest River leaving the stone warehouses and wharfs of Waterford in the distance. They entered the more wooded areas and the trade road that, while still wide enough for a wagon to pass through, began to narrow a bit as it cut through an aspen grove. The deep ruts were the primary feature of this route, giving the sense that many did not travel by foot. While still warm, the air here was cooler than the heavy air near River's Rest. The leaves gently rustled in the breeze. Occasionally, a songbird would fill the air with his music.

Mirkk gently reached over and took Rohese’s hand, interlacing his fingers with hers. She smiled at him.

“A silver for your thoughts?” Mirkk said.

“You had better make it two,” Rohese replied, wrinkling her nose at him.

He couldn’t help but laugh at her response. “Two, then.”

She smiled at him for a moment, then lowered her eyes. A look of concern crossed Mirkk’s face, but he said nothing.

“I think…I think I do not ever want there to be a time where I have held back how I feel about you.”

He stopped, causing her to stop as well, and reached over and tenderly lifted her chin with his hand. He gazed into her misty grey eyes and said, “You have told me that you love me which is all I need to live a happy life.” He pulled her into his arms and gave her a long kiss right there in the middle of the road.

She looked back into his eyes and the two were sharing that moment when they heard someone clearing their throat. They turned and saw a man on a horse drawn cart staring at them as they blocked his path. Rohese giggled, blushed, and began to apologize profusely. Around her third apology, Mirkk gently pulled her to the side of the path, gave the man a polite nod and said, “We’re sorry.” The man gave his reigns a snap and the cart began moving forward. As he passed he gave the two a grin and kept moving.

Mirkk and Rohese glanced at each other and tried hard to contain their laughter. As they turned to walk again down the road in an attempt to close the distance between themselves and Ceyrin and Corlyne, Mirkk said, “Anything else on your mind?”

Rohese bit her lip. He glanced at her and said with a wink, “No secrets between us, remember?”

She looked down again and softly said, “I just hope things go well at Gallardshold. I feel like this is all my fault and that if things do not work out, I will be to blame.” There was a slight quiver to her voice.

Mirkk nodded slightly and took a moment before he said, “This is my uncle’s fault, and my responsibility to clear things up. Don’t ever forget that. As for you, well.. you recommended to always do the right thing. And by doing that, you were doing the right thing. This did not begin because of you, and it will not end because of you. I’m just glad you decided to join me.” He smiled warmly at her, trying to be reassuring. “Good will always overcome,” he said confidently.

She seemed to smile at those last few words, which was enough for him. Still, his thoughts drifted to what would happen the following day.

"Can I share with you a poem I have been working on? I don't have it written down, only in memory right now," he said to her.

"Of course!" she responded excitedly.

"Okay. Please keep in mind this is a work in progress and could still use a bit of polish," he said. I may not ever get the chance to write it down for her, so best tell her now.

"Shall I recount the feelings I possess
so often when your skin I can't caress?
For while we go along our days without,
my heart and soul still know not fear or doubt.

Only just a thirst unquenched to see you again
when shines the sun so bright and warm; and when
discover I a smile affixed my face,
know I that upon me bestowed has fate
the feelings of joy and knowing love so great."

Rohese held his gaze as his voice tailed off at the end. Lifting both her hands to his face, she rested her forehead against his. “You are everything to me. Everything.” She reiterated quietly, allowing her lips to linger over his as she kissed him. "Don't ever forget that."

"I love you," he could only reply. The three simple words always seemed so insufficient, like they couldn't possibly encompass how he felt about her. He would die for her.

"No secrets between us, remember?" His own words echoed in his mind.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/04/2021 03:57 PM CDT
Afraid of the Dark

When I was a child, I was afraid of the dark. I would sit in my bed at night, my arms locked tightly around my knees, whispering warding spells under my breath to keep me safe from whatever I thought might harm me at the time. Growing older did nothing to reduce that fear; it simply gave me the skills to rationalise it and cope.

"The dark is simply the absence of light," my grandmother would say in her usual matter of fact way. "What do we do with our fears?"

"Show them the light, Amma." I would reply by rote and she would duly kiss me goodnight, leaving me in the darkness to continue facing them...alone. I couldn't admit to her that I was still afraid so, in time, I learned to name them and number them and, through those designations, I was able to confront each in turn. Sometimes they would smother me and I would lose myself in a nightmare but occasionally I was able to overcome them and feel at peace for a while.

I have enjoyed such a respite for a while now but I knew it wouldn't last; it never does. As soon as the sun set this evening, I could feel the fear building and spreading around me, manifesting itself as unseen monsters in the dark, just waiting to overpower me when I closed my eyes.

Here I am again, sitting alone with my arms wrapped around my knees trying to ward them off.

"Show them the light, Rohese." I can hear my Amma's voice in my head.

Time to face my fears again. What am I afraid of?

I look over to Mirkk. My love, my life, my everything. He is muttering in his sleep. I want to reach out and comfort him, to learn what is troubling him, but I'm not ready to face that particular fear – it hasn't been named or numbered yet.

I am desperately afraid of losing him. This fear has been with me for some time. My heart aches at the mere thought of it, the pain building in my chest even now as it crosses my mind. Holding my locket tight in my hand, I am able to quell it somewhat, telling myself that Corlyne and Ceyrin will do all in their power to not let anything happen to him.

My gaze moves over to them both. Ceyrin's arm lies protectively across Corlyne as they both sleep, not a care visible on their faces.

I envy them both.

I can feel the darkness pressing in on me, enveloping me, and I can barely breathe.

"What do we do with our fears?"

"Show them the light, Amma."

Struggling not to succumb, I focus all my attention on the palms of my hands. Mana surges through me in a brilliant display of silvery motes, which skitter across my skin. Feeling it build in intensity, I release it upward into a ball of light, illuminating the area around me.

I am finally able to relax a little. Now I just need to ensure no one can see my fear. I close my eyes and concentrate. A shimmering silvery grey haze radiates outward from my hand and blankets me in its light. A serene look washes over my face and I breathe a sigh of relief.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/05/2021 07:38 AM CDT
Contain It

"I could just let you use a match, but then you'd always rely on a match. Using flint and steel takes a bit more finesse," Jeckk said to his son.

Donnavan nodded in agreement. "Your father is right, lad. And if he really wanted you to be self-reliant, he would make you rub to sticks!" Donnavan laughed as he slapped the boy on the back. The three were on a camping trip along a smaller river, their dugout canoe resting by the shore several yards away. It was evening in late summer and the dragonflies were zipping around the edges of the water searching for mosquitos to eat.

"Go on, then. Give it a try," Jeckk said to Mirkk.

The boy fumbled around with a longknife and flint until he felt confident he had it in the right position. The tinder was in place, and he had several twigs and a few larger sticks within arm’s reach. He was careful to make sure his fingers were out of the way before striking the flint. He struck the flint and it didn't even spark. He looked at the two men, frustrated.

"Again," said Donnavan quickly.

The boy looked down and struck the flint a second time, creating a spark but nothing else.

"Again," Jeckk said calmly.

He tried a third time. A spark but little more. A fourth time. Still just sparks. He kept trying over and over, becoming more frustrated with every strike until finally one caught. He beamed!

"Now, you must let that tiny ember grow at its own pace, but you must help it along. Blow on it, but not too much!" Mirkk's father said to him. Mirkk picked up the ball of tinder and carefully blew on it. He watched the ember glow brightly as his breath passed over it, only to fade again when he stopped blowing. After the fourth try, the ember turned into a flame.

"There you go, lad!" said his uncle, cheering him on.

"Now, set it down and place the twigs. Careful, not too many at first," Jeckk said.

The boy did as he was instructed, and after a moment the twigs caught and he had the beginnings of a fire. The three watched the fire grow. Mirkk, becoming impatient, grabbed a larger stick and tossed it on the fledging fire. His father frowned and his uncle scowled. The remaining kindling fell flat and sent sparks and twigs out in every direction. One twig caught some of the dry summer grass on fire.

"Son, you need to contain that," Jeckk said. Mirkk looked at him as if unsure how to contain it.

"Boy, you have to contain that!" Donnavan declared less calmly than his brother-in-law.

Mirkk glanced between the two men instructing him and the fire that was now growing in the grass.

"You have to contain it," his father said again, a slight sense of urgency in his voice.

Mirkk stared at the growing fire that had now caught some of his twigs and limbs ablaze. He didn't know how to put out this fire now that it had started. The fire was spreading toward their packs.

"You have to contain it!" Donnavan shouted impatiently. "You have to contain it or it'll burn the whole forest down!"

"You need to contain it, son," Jeckk said.

"Contain it, boy!"

"You have to contain it!"

"It will burn everything to the ground!"

"Contain it before it destroys everything you love!"

"Contain it!"

"You can't let this spread, boy! Contain it!"

Mirkk woke himself up as he mumbled something in his sleep. His breathing was shallow. Another dream. He was facing away from the camp toward the woods, but could see the glow of the fire behind him as it cast its dancing light upon the trees. He wondered who was on watch and if they heard him. He tried not to stir. He carefully reached his hand up and touched the locket hanging around his neck and closed his eyes.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/05/2021 01:12 PM CDT
Abeyance

You open your eyes as the faintest rays of dawn escape the heavy curtains of the bungalow, your senses gently awakened as the lapping waters of the lagoon below you climb against the shore.

Your feet alight upon the warm wooden planks as you descend from your bed, your hands loosely gripped at your chest to hold your shell-knotted shawl against your body. The cooling mists of the falls outside collide against you as you approach the back of the house, the sounds of laughter echoing against the walls, your heart racing as you eagerly push aside the curtain…

Your senses are assaulted by the charred remains of flesh and wood, the crackling embers lashing at your skin as the sparks ignite your shawl. As you glance down, a shadowy hand strikes from below, pinning you against the crumbled brick wall with a gurgled chuckle. As your eyes lose their focus, you gaze above Jensur’s shoulder and see a lifeless trio of familiar forms, the last vestiges of a gasp escaping your lips as the steel pierces your side…

Corlyne startles herself out of her trance as Mirkk bolts himself upright.

"Bad dream?", Corlyne attempts to divert to Mirkk.

I'll never get any sleep like this...

Ceyrin placed a comforting hand on Corlyne's shoulder, attempting to further ease the tension she was concealing.

"Since we're all awake," Ceyrin noted with an subtle tone of irritation, "I'll go ahead and take the last watch."

"Before I do, however, I want to say something to all of you...", Ceyrin insisted as he sat up.

Ceyrin's crystalline blue eyes met with the vivid light green of Corlyne's for a moment, giving her an empathic gaze. He kissed her on the cheek and then rose to his feet, extricating himself from the arrangement he'd been sharing with Corlyne.

With a few steps, Ceyrin was next to Rohese, taking a seat beside her and placing a comforting hand upon one of her own. "You're supposed to be watching out... not in", he lightly chided with his characteristic smirk.

Ceyrin noted tears beginning to well-up in Rohese's eyes but before she could voice their source, he addressed the three of them, "Whatever you think is going to happen today, forget it."

"Whatever you're afraid of, leave it here in this camp," Ceyrin continued. "Our burden is great enough without needlessly adding to it."

Ceyrin paused for a moment, watching Rohese move nearer to Mirkk. Mirkk offered his hand to Rohese with a warm smile, who took it and eased herself down next to him, giving him a tender kiss on the forehead once she settled.

"Our best opportunity to control the outcome of today is to face it without hesitation, and no amount of fear or doubt is going to assist us with this task..." Ceyrin took a deep breath and slowly let it out, "None", he emphasized with an obvious tone of finality.

"Now, get some rest, we've only a few hours before dawn.", he reminded them, then turned his back to the three and settled his gaze on the road and surrounding treeline.

The next few hours passed in relative quiet, though the harmony of the wilderness at night is anything but actually quiet. Myriad insects drone insistently while the occasional wild call of a fox or owl pierces the otherwise silent white noise.

Ceyrin changed his position, turning in place to scan across the camp the four had made for this evening, noting that Mirkk still hadn't gone back to sleep. He took his eyes off the road ahead and stared at Mirkk, seemingly waiting for something. After a moment, Mirkk's eyes opened and his gaze met with Ceyrin's. Ceyrin jerked his head silently, a gesture Mirkk seemed to understand as he quietly removed himself from the blankets he had arranged next to Rohese's own.

"If you're not going to sleep, you might as well do it somewhere less disruptive," Ceyrin quietly scolded Mirkk once he'd joined him further away from their sleeping companions.

"Ceyrin..." Mirkk began, concern creeping into his voice, "My uncle..."

Ceyrin quickly cut Mirkk off noting the concern on his face, "Save it. Whatever it is, tell me after today."

"For now, enjoy the light of a new day... a day you choose to let your weakness be your strength.", and with that Ceyrin sat back down and produced his pipe from within his mantle.

Fragrant tobacco smoke filled the air around Ceyrin, the hazy tendrils contorting and conforming to himself and the errant breeze of the early morning. He looked over his shoulder towards Corlyne whom lay quietly beneath their blankets, I hope she slept more.

Ceyrin couldn't help but hear his own advice echoing in his head... Whatever I'm afraid of... Let my weakness be my strength...

I give myself the best advice that I rarely seem able to take...

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/05/2021 02:17 PM CDT
End of the Road

They had all just finished packing their bags after breaking down camp from the night before. It was that brief moment when everyone became introspective before getting back on the road. Mirkk had been putting something off since they left River's Rest. Really, he had been putting it off since he had decided to confront his uncle and everyone had decided to accompany him.

"I need to ask you all a question, and I need you all to respond honestly," he said to the group. They all turned and looked at him.

"I need you all to agree not to interfere with whatever happens between my uncle and me," he said.

"Technically, that isn't a question," quipped Ceyrin with a smirk.

Mirkk sighed. "Do you all agree not to interfere with my confrontation with my uncle, no matter how bad things may become?"

"I don't like it, but I will respect your decision," replied Rohese reluctantly, but her response was overshadowed by Ceyrin saying, "Absolutely not," and Corlyne flatly saying, "No."

Mirkk looked each one of them in the eyes. First at Ceyrin, who had a resolute look on his face. His decision was made. Next, at Corlyne, who had a sympathetic look, but also seemed unwavering in her decision. Last, he looked at Rohese. She looked worried, but forced a smile when he looked at her. He glanced at her hands, the faint lines of text a telltale sign she was very unsettled about all of this.

"Well, I suppose there isn't much more to say, then," he said. "You are all very loyal and good to me. I'm not sure what I have done to deserve it. Though we should probably get going." He was changing the subject. He knew what he had to do now. He couldn't risk their lives, nor could he allow things to escalate. They wouldn't be happy with him for it, but it was what he had to do.

On their way out, Mirkk said to Ceyrin, "Would you mind setting a nexus gem? Just in case?"

Ceyrin nodded and replied, "No, I do not mind. This is probably far enough away from Gallardshold to get us safely away if needed." He lightly tapped his rainbow glaes manacle.

Mirkk nodded and they walked toward the main road.

Later that afternoon, they were walking down the main road that made its way to Gallardshold. Ceyrin, keeping his eyes forward, said to Mirkk, "Do not look now, but the wagon carrying the watermelons has been following us since Waterford."

Mirkk nodded once.

Ceyrin continued, "It has been keeping its distance but matching our pace. It must have stopped for the night when we did. I believe it is only watching us."

Those were the last words anyone said until they reached Gallardshold. Both the wagon and foot traffic had been steadily increasing as the trail began to widen again. They could all sense the approach to Gallardshold. No one spoke, only walked in silence with an occasional nod to the driver of a passing wagon. The road made a break through the canopy of the trees, and up ahead they could make out the tallest parts of the city, namely the battlements at the top of the keep.

As close as they now were to Gallardshold, the road still had to wind around stone and occasional tree trunk or root, which made the approach seem all the more daunting. Still no one said a word. They moved along the final turn of the road and the forest seemed to open up before everyone and everything. A gentle slope moved upward before them and on top of the hill stood the first line of wooden stockades, beyond which was another, and another, and then the stone walls of the keep itself.

The southern and western sides of the outpost were more or less the non-military areas. There was a common gate on the south side which was open for commerce and foot traffic. Two guards questioned all who entered regarding their business. Ceyrin noticed the two guards ahead and smirked. This, however, was not the gate with which they had their business.

The group traced the edge of the woods to the west around the clearing and the rustic fortress and settlement on the hill. As the group passed along the edges of the forests surrounding the town, Mirkk indicated with a head nod toward the trees. Bourth was known for its woods and forests, especially the fabled Wyrdeep. A natural grassy path about twenty feet wide ran along the edges of the Wyrdeep, separating it from the forests that shared its border. Limbs of trees that seemed to wish to encroach on the foreboding forest suddenly turned upward or away in another direction as if not allowed to enter the magical space. Those limbs or branches that were so bold were withered and dead. Several of the dead branches had fallen along the grassy border path. The group of four and the white tiger continued around the clearing along the edges of the Wyrdeep.

They circled the hill until they were just about opposite the trader gate on the south of town. Mirkk glanced warily at some practice targets that were just at the edge of the woods. Rohese noticed him and also looked at the practice targets, then looked back at Mirkk. Still, no one said anything. From the practice targets and leading up the northern side of the gentle hill was a heavily worn footpath that led to the heavy solid oak gates of the stone keep. This was the primary path for patrols coming in and going out of the keep. The four turned and faced the gates.

The air was still which created that kind of quiet that allows one to hear their own heartbeat, and also allows one to give way to their own anxious thoughts. No birds chirped. There was no din of travelers passing by on this side of the town. Only a heavy silence.

Clunk loudly sounded from the massive keep doors, followed by another not quite as loud. Then, after another moment, one of the large and heavy oak doors opened.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/06/2021 08:56 AM CDT
Let Weakness Be Strength

High among the top of the largest of the ancient oaks, Oromar turned and faced south. At the edge of the forest, the keep of Gallardshold could be seen.

Oromar closed his eyes and began reciting an incantation.

The large oak doors swung open with a slow groan followed by the clanking of chains as the portcullis was raised. Several green cloaked figures emerged among the crenellations, longbows trained on the four travelers. After a minute or two, several more archers came out the gate, flanking both sides, and readied their bows as well.

Mirkk glanced at Ceyrin and gave him a nod.

Ceyrin uttered an incantation and gestured. A brilliant white ball of light formed in his hands. He seemed to craft it in his hands as if building its power. Then, feeling the timing was right, he released it in the direction of the city wall.

The ball of light moved slowly through the air for a moment before erupting in a wave of plasma and light. The waves of plasma blinded the archers, burning many of them. All fell to their knees with many of them dropping their bows. Groans were heard as the archers felt and crawled their way back to the gates.

Mirkk gave Ceyrin a wry grin and said, “At least now it will be a close fight.” Rohese gave Mirkk a worried and disapproving look.

“Hopefully it doesn’t come to that,” said Corlyne as she placed a hand on Rohese’s arm for reassurance.

All turned back toward the gates and waited. After several minutes more, four men emerged, each armed with a sword on their hip. One of the men stood a foot taller than the others and could have easily been mistaken for giantkin. He seemed to be giving orders to the other men. They took positions next to the gate and waited. Shortly thereafter, an older man emerged from the gates. He had an air of authority about him. He walked passed the other men and, with a gesture of his hand, bid them follow him down the slope.

Mirkk turned his head and informed the group, “That’s him. That is my uncle Donnavan. The tall one is Degmir, one of his lieutenants. I don't know the others.” A moment later and they were all standing face to face. Donnavan studied each of them carefully, from the two Elven ladies, then looking up at Ceyrin, then down at the tiger. There was an uneasy silence.

Eventually Donnavan became impatient and asked, “Well? To what do we owe this distinguished visit from such faraway lands? I didn't know you joined a circus, boy. Are you all going to dance? And which one of you is responsible for killing my men?”

Corlyne gestured at Rohese and Mirkk and quickly responded, "Which one of you is responsible for their deaths?"

Donnavan spat. "These two are still living," he said with a patronizing tone to Corlyne. "My men were on soldier wages and couldn't afford deeds."

"Sounds like you should pay them better," quipped Corlyne as she crossed her arms.

"Mind your tongue, Elf," remarked Degmir, placing a hand on the grip of his sword.

Ceyrin said nothing, but his posture was quite clear as he took a step towards Degmir. River let out a low growl and moved to stand protectively in front of Rohese.

"Everyone, please!" Mirkk shouted in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

"Stand down," Donnavan said to Degmir. "So, what is it boy?" he asked Mirkk directly.

“I need to-“ Mirkk started, but his voice wavered. He took a moment, then said “I need to know why you had me killed. I need to know why you-“

He stopped short and turned to look at Rohese. She gave him an encouraging nod to reassure him. He turned back to face Donnavan. “I need to know why you had Rohese killed. And why you likely still want us dead.”

Donnavan grunted. “I think you know. The girl means nothing,” he said with a dismissive wave of his hand, “except that she means something to you.” Mirkk frowned.

“And as far as for you, you know your lineage. And you know mine. And I think that’s why you fled some twenty five years ago- because you knew. You knew your old family name had the potential to unite or break the barony. Now, I’m not sure if you just didn’t want the responsibility, or if you were just afraid of becoming who you were meant to be, or perhaps you just spent too much time frolicking with those…” He glanced at Corlyne and Rohese. “…With those Elves in your youth.” The last part was said with more than a hint of distaste. “Either way, I had a chance to bring you into the inner circle of the Caulfields. I tried, boy. The gods know I tried. I tried with your father, too. He was just as stubborn, but at least he didn’t run.” He spat on the ground.

“I don’t care about Viridian or land or any long forgotten family name. I don’t care about the Caulfields, truthfully. Not unless they try to start a war. I just want to live my life in peace. What I can’t understand is how my own uncle could wish me dead for some baron in some other cit-”

Donnavan slapped Mirkk across the face. River let out a low growl, but Mirkk raised his hand slightly to calm him before he turned back to Donnavan.

“That Baron - the Baron- has been nothing but good to me since my days of fighting the undead before you were ever born! The Baron keeps a peace in his barony so we do not have another war with the Elves! The Baron still answers to the Sun Throne for everything that does or doesn’t happen in this barony! And to that end, as one of his captains, I do what I must to keep the barony and the Empire safe! I owe more to the Caulfields than I ever will to you or ever did to your father or my sister!” Donnavan’s words had venom in them as he spoke.

Mirkk turned to his group with an exasperated look on his face. Ceyrin was watching the whole interaction between Donnavan and Mirkk intently. Corlyne was studying Rohese, her arm around her shoulder. Rohese had a worried look, but quickly changed her visage to a calm demeanor when she saw Mirkk. The text running along her hands betrayed her. She mouthed the word “forgiveness” to him. He exhaled and turned back toward Donnavan again.

“I forgive you,” Mirkk said. It felt forced, like he didn’t mean it.

“What?” Donnavan asked flatly.

“I forgive you. Just let me live my life.” Mirkk took several steps back and held Rohese’s hand. “Let us live our lives.” Rohese raised her free hand and gripped Mirkk's forearm tightly, a concerned look on her face. Rohese realized there would be no reconciliation.

Donnavan sneered. “You think this will end just like that, boy? With a little bit of giantkin witchery or some Elven glamour and that would be that? No…you won't always have such tricks to your advantage. And I’ll find you. I’ll find all of you.” He gestured to the group. “And I’ll kill you and then it will be done.”

“Then it must be here and it must be now.” There was a slight nervousness to Mirkk’s voice in his reply.

Rohese’s eyes widened as she turned toward Mirkk with a look of sheer terror.

Donnavan laughed. “So be it,” he said as he took several slow steps back with his hand on the pommel of his greatsword.

Ceyrin immediately interposed himself between the two. The bracer on his left arm seemed to glow.

Mirkk turned to Rohese. “No, no, no…” she was saying faintly.

The whisper “Death is the only thing that will keep him from you” kept echoing in her mind.

“No! No, Mirkk! No! You can’t…” she said in a more panicked tone.

Mirkk gently grabbed her arms and caught her gaze. “Rohese. Rohese!” He exclaimed. She stopped talking and stared at him blankly as if she were uncertain this were really happening. “Rohese, we knew this was a possible outcome,” he said softly and slowly to her, as if trying to remind her of the all the conversations they had.

“But he’ll kill you, and…and…” she stammered.

“No,” he replied.

Corlyne placed a gentle hand on Rohese’s shoulder as if trying to reassure her. “It’s okay, dear.”

Ceyrin glanced back at the two, uneasy. It was hard for him to see Rohese in such a state. It reminded him of a look she had once before. She had come so far.

“No, he will not kill me.” Mirkk gazed fondly into Rohese’s eyes. “We have too many plans for this life. I will not allow him to rob us of them.”

Her beautiful grey eyes began to well up with tears. “Oh Mirkk! I love you so much!” She pulled away from Corlyne and threw her arms around his neck. She whispered, "I can't go on without you. Please, let us go back. We don't ever have to leave Ta'Illistim." She was starting to choke up on her own tears. "We can... we can... I can't do this, Mirkk!"

“Well, isn’t this just grand?” bellowed Donnavan. “Come on, now. Let’s get on with it.” He gestured to Degmir, and Degmir turned and took the other soldiers a few paces away where they turned and stopped to watch.

Mirkk pressed his lips softly into the side of Rohese’s hair, giving a gentle kiss on her head. He then slowly reached up and grasped her delicate wrists, removing them softy from around his neck. He held her hands to his chest for a brief moment, squeezed them as he mouthed the words “I love you” and turned toward Donnavan.

Ceyrin gave Mirkk a concerned glance as Mirkk stepped forward. He quietly asked, “Are you sure about this?” Mirkk nodded swiftly and walked passed. Ceyrin didn’t feel confident in the response.

Mirkk stepped forward, roughly ten feet away from Donnavan, and removed his long sword from his sword belt. He held the swords low, their tips pointing toward the ground as if uncertain he wanted to do this.

Donnavan laughed. “Well, at least we’ll all get on with things now.” He tossed his mantle onto the ground and drew Wightsbane from the sheath at his hip. “I hope the rest of you can outrun arrows once I take care of this scrapper.”

“This is a family affair, uncle. I need your word that once settled, no matter the outcome, no harm will come to them. None of us wish this to be a conflict between Bourth and Illistim or between Elves and men,” Mirkk said firmly to Donnavan.

“Boy, you have my word that once I run you through and I drag your body back to the keep, no harm will come to them,” replied Donnavan.

Mirkk nodded once then glanced back at Rohese and caught her eye. Corlyne and Ceyrin were both at her side. He gave her a wink as if trying to assure her things were going as planned. He knew what he had to do. He knew she wouldn't be pleased. He turned back to Donnavan and raised his swords.

Donnavan raised Wightsbane steadily as began to move slowly to his right to gain an advantageous position on Mirkk. “Let’s see how good you’ve gotten with a blade, boy,” he said as the two began to move slowly in a circle. With a quick flick his greatsword clanged against Mirkk’s long sword in an attempt to gain an opening. Mirkk stayed focused and kept his guard up. Donnavan grinned. “Aaah. Looks like you don’t scare easy” he said in a taunting but dark tone.

A worried look passed over Rohese's face as she made a step toward the two fighting men. She heard Mirkk's voice carried in the breeze saying, "No." She stopped. Corlyne and Ceyrin looked at her, remaining by her side.

The two men continued circling. Mirkk knew he didn’t stand a chance against Donnavan. Donnavan had been a swordsman for decades. The bow was where he lacked skill and Mirkk would have had an advantage.

As they circled, Donnavan's back turned toward the forest, and Mirkk's back was to Gallardshold. It will shift on us. Everthing will shift today.

Mirkk feinted and Donnavan reacted in an attempt to parry. That was the opening Mirkk needed, but not for a strike with a sword. Channeling all his strength and willpower and fear and love, with a burst of energy Mirkk pushed forward fiercly, grabbing Donnavan by the collar and pushing him backward toward the forest. Mirkk continued to push. He pushed to protect her. He dug deep and pushed Donnavan passed the practice targets. "What are you doing boy?" he heard Donnavan shout at him. Donnavan remained upright, but his feet stumbled beneath him as couldn't find solid footing to stop Mirkk. Mirkk pushed Donnavan through the first line of trees of the Wyrdeep. He pushed him past a line of surprised Elven archers just out of sight from those outside the forest. He pushed harder and farther. He pushed until their surroundings shifted.

His foot hit a root and he faltered, sending Donnavan reeling backward and Mirkk landing on the ground. They were somehwere in the Wyrdeep now, beyond the reach of all the others.

Rohese, Ceyrin, Corlyne, Degmir and the other men stood there in a sort of shock, all staring at the general area where the two men entered the Wyrdeep. After a long moment, Ceyrin sarcastically remarked, "Well this is awkward."

One of the soldiers with Degmir, apparently bored, stuck his little finger in his ear and dug around for a moment. He then pulled his finger out and gazed at it. Apparently content with whatever was his discovery, he proceded to wipe his finger off on his trousers. Degmir stared at him as if he were a cave troll.

"Not recruiting the best and brightest these days?" asked Corlyne.

Degmir snorted.

Rohese had a worried look on her face and became unsteady and Corlyne moved to hold her. She wrapped her arm around Rohese, to both console her and to keep her upright.

Donnavan fell back into a tree, but was still on his feet. Mirkk, as quickly as he could, sprang upright and removed his short sword from his swordbelt, taking a defensive position. Donnavan leaned forward, glanced at his new surroundings and grinned. "Clever, boy. Clever."

Then with a tremendous burst of speed for such a man of his age, Donnavan lunged and beat Mirkk’s short sword, opening his stance, gaining right of way to quickly follow with another attack of the greatsword to Mirkk's longsword, creating an opening. He lunged forward driving his shoulder into Mirkk’s chest, sending him reeling.

Donnavan raised himself upright, looking to advance in a follow through, but Mirkk had regained his footing, moving back into a guarded stance. He grinned wickedly at Mirkk who was simply thankful he had managed to stay standing.

Donnavan tried again, this time swinging his greatsword sidelong with incredible strength which required Mirkk to commit both his blades to block. Donnavan charged in with his shoulder again, but Mirkk was ready and took the blow without buckling. Donnavan pushed down hard with the greatsword, causing Mirkk to lower his blades. Shoulder to shoulder they pushed against each other. Donnavan began to lose his footing briefly and head butted Mirkk. He saw stars and Donnavan took advantage, knocking Mirkk’s short sword flying somewhere in the woods.

Both men, out of breath, backed away and circled each other for a moment.

Donnavan used an old trick and tilted his greatsword so the sun reflected off the blade and into Mirkk’s eyes making it hard for him to see the advance. Donnavan moved in, swiftly knocking the longsword out of the way to create an opening and slashing at Mirkk’s left thigh, dropping him down on one knee. Donnavan roared, breaking into a taunting laugh. “Not as quick as you should be. Looks like after all these years, I’ve still got it!” He flashed a grin.

Mirkk had to lean on his longsword to stand himself back up. He knew this wasn’t good. He was favoring one leg and only had one sword. He could now only parry oncoming attacks.

Donnavan feined an attack causing Mirkk to shift his weight and commit to a parry for a blow that never happened. Donnavan saw an opening, spun, and slashed Mirkk along the torso. Mirkk stumbled.

Mirkk could no longer put weight on his leg and was losing blood. He stumbled to a nearby tree, his back against it as he slid to the ground. Donnavan, confident in his victory, sat down next to his nephew as both men caught their breath.

“I had really hoped things wouldn’t have come to this,” Donnavan said. “Gallardshold could have used you. Your people could have used you.”

Mirkk winced as he touched his side, pulling away a hand covered in bright red blood. “Uncle, I forgive you.” He said this as he turned his head and looked his uncle in the eyes. Donnavan said nothing in response.

“You’ve gotten better with the blades, boy. But your true gift was with the bow,“ said Donnavan.

Mirkk replied, “You still have your strength after all these years..."

Donnavan nodded once. "I would have taught you the blade. You could have been both the best longbowman and best swordsman in all of Bourth. I'd have given you Wightsbane to hang over your hearth at Viridian."

"...And you're even better with the blade than I remember," Mirkk continued.

"I just don't understand why you wanted to spend your time out here," he said gesturing at the forest around them. "That was your weakness. What is so damned appealing about these Elves and trees that you spent all your time trying to commune with nature? That you would turn your back on our kind?"

"...You still have some speed..." Mirkk said, musing.

"Oh, and don't think I didn't notice the movement in the forest over the passed few days. Were those your little friends back there?" asked Donnavan. "You want to talk about starting a war..." he trailed off.

Mirkk was breathing more shallow now. He knew it was over, one way or another. He knew that even if he died, his uncle would never be able to find his way out of this forest. Only those who have spent time in this forest would know how to get out, and his uncle had never set foot in this place. He knew Rohese would be safe.

Donnavan turned towards Mirkk and looked him in the eyes, sighed and said, "At least I'll give you the honor of a clean death." He stood up and walked a few paces, turned around and said “It’s time,” and leaning forward, he added in a whisper, "and then it will be your friends time when I get out of this forest." He stood up and gripped Wightsbane with both hands.

He had never felt his time as a boy spent with nature and the Wyrdeep was a weakness. Let your weakness be your strength.

Mirkk interrupted and said, “But uncle, I did noticed your footwork is lacking...”

Donnavan gave him a confused look. "What?"

Mirkk gestured and uttered a phrase of magic.

Atop the ancient oaks, Oromar ceased his incantations and opened his eyes.

Mirkk gestured.

Dozens of long thorns suddenly grew out from the ground underneath Donnavan. Several of the thorns jabbed into him. One thorn pierced his chest, protruding out of the front.

Donnavan looked down at the thorn coming out of his chest. After a moment, he looked back at Mirkk with a confused look.

“I’m sorry uncle,” Mirkk said with tears starting to form. “I forgive you.” He meant it this time.

Donnavan looked at him, then looked back down at the thorn, slumped over, and stared for one last time at the Wyrdeep before releasing his final breath.

Ceyrin was in the process of educating one of Degmir's men of the Dogma of Onar. "But to claim possession by Lord Onar in a court of law for something such as that? That is where you clearly display your ignorance. He does not kill haphazardly. It is always calculated."

Mirkk, coming from the west behind the group that was staring at the forest, limped his way to them and stared at whatever it was they were staring at. No one seemed to notice him at first. He took bite of acantha leaf. He felt a little better. Rohese, sensing someone behind her, turned at saw him. He nodded at the forest at which everyone was looking. Rohese just stared at him for a moment. Then she threw her arms around his neck and embraced him as if she would never let him go. Tears of joy began to stream down her face.

The others turned to watch as Mirkk faltered slightly and leaned against one of the practice targets as he wrapped his arms around Rohese.

One of the more loyal men with Degmir started toward the forest, but Degmir raised his hand to the man’s chest, stopping him. “Let the Baron come recover the body if the Baron wishes him alive.”

The man looked at Degmir incredulously. Degmir turned and stared down at the man, as Degmir was a foot taller. The man nodded quickly, turned and walked back up the hill and through the gates. Degmir gazed back down at the mysterious forest, shook his head, turned and walked back to Gallardshold with the other men. The gates of the keep closed behind him.

With Rohese still in his arms - and no sign of her releasing him anytime soon - Mirkk looked over at Ceyrin and Corlyne to see a grin slowly forming on both their faces.

Corlyne reached over to rest her hand on Ceyrin’s arm. “You can say you told him so later. Let him enjoy this moment first.”

Corlyne winked at Mirkk.

Ceyrin furrowed his brow and muttered, “Spoilsport.”

Mirkk inhaled the faint traces of jasmine and columbine still lingering in Rohese’s hair and closed his eyes. Then he heard Rohese whisper in his ear, “A silver for your thoughts?”

To which Mirkk replied, "Let's go home."

As they all began walking down the road away from Gallardshold, Ceyrin said, "Perhaps we can stay at an inn this time."
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/10/2021 03:15 PM CDT

As beams of sunlight shone through the trees, an olive-hued forest goblin ambled through the deep forest. He noticed an opening in a thick grove of dark modwir trees and, as tends to happen with goblins, curiosity got the best of him. He trudged through and the modwir trees opened into a clearing. In the middle of the clearing was a mound of smooth river stones covering what appeared to be an unmarked grave. At the head of this grave was a golvern greatsword protruding hilt-up, its blade halfway in the ground. The forest goblin peered curiously at the greatsword. After a moment, the goblin trudged over and gripped the hilt and tugged on the greatsword. The greatsword did not budge, as if held in place by some unknown force. The forest goblin adjusted his stance and grip and with a grunt tugged harder, but the greatsword still did not move. Frustrated, the goblin moved to grab one of the stones to throw in anger, but that stone also did not budge. The goblin stared at the grave for a moment longer, shrugged, and trudged back out of the clearing.

Degmir, gazing out of one of the tall window, stared at the forest just down the gentle sope beyond the keep. After watching a magpie fly across the slope and land on a practice target, he turned and walked over to the end of a long table in the hall and sat down in one of the intricately carved ironwood armchairs. He stared down at the piece of paper before him and reflected on things for some time. He then picked up the grey peregrine feather quill and dipped it into the inkwell that was filled with a deep green ink.

My Lord,
I regret to inform you of a recent hunting tragedy that befell your captain at Gallardshold, Donnavan Hallowgrove. Witnesses say a man named Jensur shot Donnavan in the heart with an arrow while he was on horseback. This startled the horse which ran into the Wyrdeep. Jensur was tried and found guilty but fled in the night and has not been seen or heard from since. Two other men have also gone missing, and our assumption was that they were all working together for some foiled conspiracy. It has been several days and we have now assumed Donnavan has passed on. We have searched the forest as far as it will allow us. I am sorry for your loss, as I am aware he was also a distant relative. We will be holding a memorial gathering tomorrow.
I have assumed responsibility of the garrison at Gallardshold as well as the training of the recruits for the Greensmen. I will continue with this responsibility at the convenience of your lordship, or until such time as your lordship appoints a new captain.
The coffers are being reconstituted from the losses of the previous months. The only connection I might draw is that Jensur and his men may have been stealing from the funds. With his absence, we are drawing income once more from the taxes. I will begin mounted patrols farther east within the fortnight, and will begin a new round of training for recruits next month.
In your service,
Degmir Farrow
Lieutenant of the Greensmen
Acting Captain of Gallardshold

Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/11/2021 11:21 AM CDT
Epilogue, Part 1

The wrought iron gate creaked loudly as it opened on its rusty hinges. Mirkk walked through the gate and down the gravel road. He looked back and did not see his companions. He faced forward and continued walking toward the house at the end of the road. He paused for a moment in the courtyard. The house, a stone three story manor was familiar to him. He felt like it was calling him.

The only part of the house that remained standing was the center, with the flagstone steps leading to a heavy oak doors that were propped open. He peered through the doors and down the marbled floors of the foyer, beyond the sweeping staircase and through the rear door that was also propped open. He saw the deep green forests beyond which reminded him of how this house originally got its name. He surveyed the east side of the house, now a pile of rubble. He then shifted his gaze to the west side, which was in a matching state. Amidst the rubble he saw a crest - a field of black was a silver oak tree with three distinct, yet broken branches. The damage was extensive, but Mirkk noticed the foundation was still strong.

It could be rebuilt.

He glanced back at the courtyard to notice square stone blocks, timber logs, shovels, pickaxes, hammers and nails, all as if ready and waiting for someone to pick them up and rebuild the once stately manor. He turned back toward the house. Measuredly he walked toward the door of the stone manor. He took each flagstone step one at a time, deliberately. After the last step, he stood facing the open door. A shovel was leaning against the doorframe. He looked around and took in the whole of the stone house once more, from the west wing where the library would have been, to the entry hall and staircase which were still standing, and the east wing with its collapsed sitting room. He thought about all the potential the future offered - all the opportunities.

This house wants to be rebuilt.

Mirkk closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He exhaled slowly and with steady hand reached forward. He extended his arm inch by inch. He realized being responsible meant making decisions, and decisions would always have consequences. His hand inched forward. He thought about his past and how he had fled Bourth and what his uncle believed was his responsibility. His outstretched hand continued to creep forward. He thought about how his decision now would likely have consequences later, and that he would have to take responsibility for it. He opened his eyes the moment the tip of his fingers touched the smooth cold stone of the house.

The thick stone walls collapsed inward, crushing the staircase as it brought the floors above crashing down on the marble floors. The house stood no more.

A beam of light from the open window to the east had been crawling its way across the room since sunrise. As it completed its journey and crossed Mirkk's face, he blinked and opened his eyes in a squint, his hand raised to shield them from the effulgent affront. He rolled away from the light, blinked a few times and opened his eyes, allowing them to adjust to the room. He felt well rested for the first time in a long time. As his thoughts swirled in his mind, he remembered having a dream in the early morning hours, but he wasn't panicked. It wasn't a night terror. He felt at peace.

He propped himself up, glancing around the room. It was not quite mid-morning, but it was well after sunrise. Rohese would have risen early, as she typically did, to run her errands. River would have gone with her, as he typically did, since he seemed to prefer her company these days. He didn't mind. "Oh!" He suddenly remembered he had some important errands himself. It is probably better if there are no additional co-conspirators anyway.

He dressed as quickly as he could. The clothes were new to him, the materials of such fine quality and fit. And while functionally he understood how they worked, he second guessed himself with every article. He had made a promise though, and part of a promise was keeping the promise. He glanced suspiciously at the waistcoat before slipping it on, allowing the lining of the garment to drape the contours of his body. He gave himself a once-over in the mirror and paused. He reached over and picked up a deep carmine rose and pinned it to his waistcoat. He nodded once and picked up a narrow leather diary lopped with a tiny key charm before heading out the door.

Several things to do today, but first...

He sat with his eyes closed, waiting for a response. She was a good listener, but she didn't always speak in return. Perhaps that is what made her a good listener in the first place. He patiently waited to see if she would offer her opinion. He could hear a pileated woodpecker drumming on a tree elsewhere in the Veythorne gardens. Something soft touched Mirkk's hand. He opened his eyes and glanced down to see a feathery pale pink leaf resting in his palm.

He walked through the door of Galieca's with a smile. Galieca smiled at him and immediately started readying a coffee. A young Elven maiden sitting at a table by the window, messenger bag at her feet, perked up and gave Mirkk a fliratious smile, but he walked past, oblivious to her existence.

"Here you go, dear," Galieca said to Mirkk. He slipped her some silvers, took his coffee with a smile and replied, "Awlays a pleasure," before heading out the door. The Elf at the table frowned.

"I wouldn't even try with that one, dear. He's smitten," Galieca said to Marilla with a wink.

He walked to Gardenia Commons and glanced around. He saw Corlyne and grinned. She waved at him. He offered his arm in a polite gesture which she took as they strolled east. Once away from the commons, they stopped. Mirkk glanced around and, feeling confident there was no else, gave Corlyne a nod. She removed something from her coat and slipped it into his hand which he quickly tucked away in the pocket of his black leather waistcoat.

Corlyne casually explains, "I don't see why a body would need such a lovely piece of jewelry, honestly."

Mirkk winked and grinned. "You ladies deserve only the best that we men have to offer. I'm still excited at your engagement with Ceyrin!" He gave Corlyne a hug and graciously said, "Thank you so much." She smiled and waved and Mirkk headed back toward the commons.

As he walked, he took a moment to recollect on the past few months. He thought about how much he owed to Corlyne and Ceyrin both, and of course Rohese. Six months ago, they were all strangers to him. Corlyne and Ceyrin had restored his hope in others. Rohese had restored his hope in life itself. They had been so supportive and had been willing to risk so much for him. For them.

He strolled through Gardenia Commons. Still holding the diary in his left hand, he instinctively moved to stick his right hand in his leather satchel, only to realize he didn't have it. He remembered he wasn't wearing the clothes he usually would when in the wilds. He panicked. He immediately began frantically checking his pockets and poking around in the onyx suede pocket of his waistcoat and then, looking relieved, gave the pocket a firm pat and exhaled. He looked around as he tugged on the hem of his waistcoat, adjusting the fit in an attempt to recover appearances. No one seemed to notice him.

His last errand was to sort through some items at Hale Hall, and then he would read a few entries in the diary Rohese had given him before he caught up with her that afternoon. Just the thought of her brought a smile to his face. He had found love.

Now he had hope.
Re: Big Trouble in Little Sylvarraend 08/12/2021 05:38 AM CDT
Epilogue, Part 2

Rohese stretched languorously, the early morning sunshine flooding her chambers and stirring her gently from her sleep. She was savouring the fact that she was back in her own bed and had allowed herself the luxury of a lie in that morning. It was a little after dawn when she finally rose and dressed. She allowed herself a few moments just to gaze out of the window at the well-tended gardens below and dense forest beyond.

Home.

And yet, something was different. Home wasn't just a familiar place anymore; it was wherever Mirkk was. She had come to that realisation while they were all travelling to Bourth. The privations of that journey had meant nothing to her because she was with him and she would continue to go wherever he wished for as long as he desired her company.

Rohese took a sip of her tea and watched in amusement as the birds gathered in the lilac trees surrounding the manse; Aavia would no doubt be feeding them soon. So much had happened over the last few months; much of which had impacted poor Aavia too. Rohese’s whole life had been turned upside down by it all but, here she was, the happiest she had been in a very long time.

She smiled to herself as she recalled something her grandmother had once told her: that you only ever fall in love with three people in your lifetime. The first when you are young: an "idealistic" love that seems like a fairy tale. She had loved her husband and her family had approved of their match. To all intents and purposes, they were the perfect couple, but he was no longer here and she had made her peace with that. The second type of love is what they call "hard" love where you delve a little deeper into who you really are. It feels fated, it feels passionate, it feels ... wrong. It isn't meant to be but you learn about what you really want in life. In hindsight, it was inevitable that her engagement would come to an end at some point. And then there's the third kind, the "true" love that comes out of nowhere. The connection is like a lightning bolt that neither one of you are prepared for. Before you know it, you are deeply in love with that one very special person who understands you and it just feels right.

Mirkk.

Rohese allowed her fingers to trace over the surface of the locket around her neck. She missed her grandmother; she would have liked him. The memory reminded Rohese that it was time to write to her grandfather. There was so much she needed to tell him, so she made a mental note to do that later but first, she had other things to attend to.

Mirkk was asleep next door. Rohese paused at the doorway to watch him sleep for a few minutes. He seemed so peaceful. River rose to his feet and padded over to her. Resting her hand on his head for a moment, he leaned into her and she scratched between the tiger's ears.

Rohese spoke quietly, "Come on, River. Let's leave him to sleep, he needs it."

The tiger followed closely behind as Rohese stepped outside to start her day.

She had found true love.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page