Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/12/2021 12:25 PM CST
Kynsella was ecstatic; most of her life had been leading up to this moment: an actual appointment that involved travel (and no talk of arranged marriages!). The leadership of Torre had decided a representative should be sent to the upcoming talks in Zul Logoth, and Kynsella was to go. She had full bargaining power even, albeit just for the town of River's Rest. She had tried to get Fairport included in her powers as well, but once her noble cousin had stopped laughing, he had firmly provided guidance: She could negotiate on behalf of River's Rest fully, and she could carry terms and accords and requests back to Fairport and be involved in the reviews, but she could not make final decisions for the capital or elsewhere in the County.

With that settled, Kynsella went about preparing. She asked her cousin if she should at least visit the town on whose behalf she would be speaking. He just shrugged and said she could if she wanted. And with that, the matter was settled, and he went back to doing...well, whatever it was he did. And Kynsella went to see if they could swing by River's Rest on the way to Zul Logoth.

OOC Note: I'm going to try to get in and meet some townsfolk between now and the ZL talks, because what dignitary doesn't need improvement by significant contact with the uniqueness that is RR? I would encourage a strong dose of RR-crazy so you can try to infect...er improve, the Lady Kynsella!

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
>Emails for MHO business should go to GS4-MHO@PLAY.NET
"My real name is Mephistopheles, but you can call me baby"
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/12/2021 04:02 PM CST
< I would encourage a strong dose of RR-crazy so you can try to infect...er improve, the Lady Kynsella!>

Careful what you ask for....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/12/2021 04:18 PM CST
>>a strong dose of RR-crazy

>Careful what you ask for....

What he said!

(Also, it'd be pretty amazing if this brought out some of the older River Rats who haven't been around in a (long) while... Rlen, Raillen, Karly, Aki, Bijou, etc. etc...)

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/12/2021 04:52 PM CST
<(Also, it'd be pretty amazing if this brought out some of the older River Rats who haven't been around in a (long) while... Rlen, Raillen, Karly, Aki, Bijou, etc. etc...)>

They all moved to tha mainland an got soft....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/12/2021 05:55 PM CST
>They all moved to tha mainland an got soft....

:( Probably true. Need ta drag 'em back and feed 'em some of the water!

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/12/2021 08:28 PM CST
For anyone wondering "What Zul talks?"

Please see: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/GemStone%20IV%20Announcements/Important%20Announcements/view/3780

Those are scheduled for the 19, 20, 21 of March, so that means "whatever" is happening in RR sometime in the next week.
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/13/2021 02:47 PM CST
Kynsella settled into her room at the River's Rest Inn, pulling out a pen and book and quickly writing out notes.

"I have made my first introductions to the townsfolk of River's Rest," she wrote, "and it appears to have gone well. They have been very welcoming. I still need more information on what people need or want and what the town has to offer in return so I can negotiate well for them. I have had a request for more Zul ales and the idea to export seaweed or other sea life to the caverns. There may be an inkling of an idea there. I shall have to sleep on it."

Kynsella finishes her notes and goes about getting ready to rest. She's the farthest from home she's ever been, with an even longer trip ahead of her, and she can't wait.

OOC NOTE: Kynsella has been invited to tomorrow's brunch. I'm planning on making it, so if anyone wants to get their two cents in about RR, that would be a great time!

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/13/2021 03:55 PM CST
I can't think of a better time to get an overview of the town than at the fast breaking.
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/13/2021 05:11 PM CST
Someone show her the flinger if I can't make it.... bet we can get her all the way to Zul with it!

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/14/2021 09:53 AM CDT
>I have had a request for more Zul ales and the idea to export seaweed or other sea life to the caverns.

I'll find out more at brunch, but not really sure what all this is about yet.

There was a request many years ago to have more "strand of seaweed" in River's Rest foraging. AFAIK, there is one room in RR where this can be foraged, and it was ever stated that a GM would look in to fixing that. The alchemy recipes for Water Walking are weird, because RR has the greater wights from the 'eastern' version and the 'powdered pearl nautilus shell' from the 'western' version (so we can't make it anyway without leaving) a top of like almost no seaweed!
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/14/2021 10:22 AM CDT
<The alchemy recipes for Water Walking are weird, because RR has the greater wights from the 'eastern' version and the 'powdered pearl nautilus shell' from the 'western' version (so we can't make it anyway without leaving) a top of like almost no seaweed!>

Which makes no sense, cause there's prolly no area in the game where 112 is as useful as in RR....

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/14/2021 01:17 PM CDT
<<There was a request many years ago to have more "strand of seaweed" in River's Rest foraging. AFAIK, there is one room in RR where this can be foraged, and it was ever stated that a GM would look in to fixing that.

I'll pass this on to see what's up with the seaweed bit.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/14/2021 01:20 PM CDT
After sending a servant out to make a name tag for her kitten and bring her back some herbs for her scars, Kynsella collapsed on her bed, exhausted but exhilarated. This was certainly not what she was expecting in a town of the Empire, and it was quite enjoyable to have such a break from the normal expectations and actions. She had come perilously close to dying from a poison and blood loss due to the catapult (no, she mentally corrected herself, flinger...go with the locals' speak), but even with that, this may be the best trip she had ever been on.

Indeed, she mused to herself, she knew she was given this assignment with full River's Rest authority because it was felt she couldn't harm anything important for Torre, but she wanted to do it right and well, especially after getting to know the townsfolk. She was looking forward to bargaining for them.
Perhaps, she whispered to Ser Winterberry Flingercat, she can even find new types of pickling to bring to them. More than anything, it appears that would satisfy these odd and welcoming folk.

With that, she and Ser Winterberry curled up on the fluffy feather mattress and took a long afternoon's nap.

OOC NOTE: HAH. I love RR -- I had a ton of fun, thank you so much! Looking forward to bewildering folks while asking for trade in ale and pickles...thanks for naming the kitten!

You glance down to see a fluffy night-black kitten with sparkling violet eyes in the crook of your right arm and nothing in your left hand.
>l kitten
The kitten has fluffy, silken fur that is black as a moonless night with the exception of a silvery sock on its front right paw. Its impish eyes are a sparkling violet with dark green and gold speckles, and it has a simple leather collar around its neck bearing a tag that reads, "Ser Winterberry Flingercat the First of River's Rest."

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/15/2021 08:05 PM CDT
>Which makes no sense, cause there's prolly no area in the game where 112 is as useful as in RR....

Well, if we get some more rooms with seaweed, I don't really see a fundamental reason there couldn't just be a third alchemy recipe, which was wight manes and powdered pearl nautilus shell.

(I used to forage seaweed on FWI and my mage imported the moonstones from the east side when I was ranking Water Walking potions)
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 03/23/2021 05:51 PM CDT
This was super fun. Also enjoyed interacting at the Trade Talks.

Thank you!
Re: Meanwhile, Somewhere Fancy in Fairport 06/03/2021 10:18 AM CDT
In response to a request found in this thread -- seaweed can be found in more areas. See http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/General%20GemStone%20IV%20Discussion/General%20Discussion%20about%20Gemstone%20IV/view/4898 for details!

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM