Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/14/2020 06:41 PM CDT

A small patched canvas tent near the commons might be of interest to those who pick boxes!

Enjoy!

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves

Avawren ~ I have Survival and a knife. I can work it out.
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/19/2020 08:28 PM CDT
Thank you for the implementation of this wonderful system and its rapid spread to cities everywhere, including our humble backwater of misfits such as my silly bard.

May I suggest that the tent might be moved somewhere less central than right in front of the path to the commons?

1) The Stone Eye (either Veranda or Tempest River)
2) Somewhere in the shadowy alley on Merchants' Walk by the bank
3) Somewhere in the Khan'Kel Bazaar

Thank you,

Frebble's player
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/19/2020 09:16 PM CDT
Co-sign.

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/19/2020 10:38 PM CDT
<May I suggest that the tent might be moved somewhere less central than right in front of the path to the commons?>

Considering the Commons has always been where locksmiths ply their trade, if the tent needs to be moved it really should be located there... well, the table and woman should be anyway, no reason why locksmiths should be forced into a tent after nearly a quarter century.

Really though, what's wrong with it being centrally located? One of the perks of the Rest has always been that all the main services are close together and you don't have to travel more then a couple rooms to get everything done after a hunt. People that want to input movement through a few dozen rooms and nearly as many portals just to unload after a hunt can relocate to EN where that's already a thing.

As for locating it in neighborhoods, that's just a rotten idea altogether.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/20/2020 10:10 AM CDT
I've been utilizing the tent over the past week or so and find it to be conveniently located. It's easy enough to walk around when heading to the commons as well.

What is the concern or issue with its current location?

-- Robert

>channel my maul
You channel at a hefty mithril maul.
You make an astoundingly inept attempt! Success!
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/20/2020 03:41 PM CDT
Well, the reason would be is it seemed like RR is the only city who didn't get any input into where it goes it just feels tossed in when there are locations that make sense thematically in the town. I know only like 10 us of call it home, but for someone who is a River's Rest lifer, I was a little disappointed.

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/20/2020 06:44 PM CDT
My recollection over the years is that most of the locksmithing has been done directly in the commons. I recall a number of years where certain individuals were like locksmithing fixtures there. Assuming that we don't want a tent cluttering up the commons directly (I wouldn't) the chosen location seems like a good compromise that aligns with historical picking.

So I get that it might have been nice to have more input, I'm not sure I understand how the current location doesn't make sense thematically.

That said, maybe our NIR will provide a future opportunity to relocate it via a storyline or something similar if there is enough community uprising around the current tent location.

-- Robert

>channel my maul
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/21/2020 11:10 AM CDT
>Really though, what's wrong with it being centrally located? One of the perks of the Rest has always been that all the main services are close together and you don't have to travel more then a couple rooms to get everything done after a hunt. People that want to input movement through a few dozen rooms and nearly as many portals just to unload after a hunt can relocate to EN where that's already a thing.

I agree that its current location is certainly convenient. My main objection to its present location is that when there are so many more great spots even in just our small tropical paradise. We are certainly not a baroque Elven metropolis, though.

Having this exciting new service in an area a bit more off the beaten path might encourage exploration and interesting interaction. I would offer that a "central location" that makes sense isn't exactly in line with the inhabitants of the Rest, where efficiency has never been the rule.

>As for locating it in neighborhoods, that's just a rotten idea altogether.

Why is this a rotten idea? I would love to hear the support for this assertion, but anyway, the Stone Eye is my first choice. The Bank Roof is another idea, but that's a bit TOO wacky and I wouldn't want to ruin such a great view.

Frebble's player
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/21/2020 03:47 PM CDT
I guess if the primary reason to move it is fear of even more scripter activity around the commons i'm fine with moving with, though I think a system to get rid of afker scripters in the commons would be a better answer. Maybe make a second a super node around town and implement an automated random script check system that moves characters there if they fail. I know someone could adjust a script to account for it but it would be easier for them if they just made their new home the out of the way super node so maybe they wouldn't bother. It is kind of sad to see people using tap to heal scripts in the commons.

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/21/2020 04:49 PM CDT
>> though I think a system to get rid of afker scripters in the commons would be a better answer.

+100 to this.

>> It is kind of sad to see people using tap to heal scripts in the commons.

It's sad to see this anywhere really. Active players use it as well though... they just don't want to be bothered to do the actual healing when there is a script already available to do it instead.

Someone did this in the commons the other day and just announced to the room that you should tap them for healing. I chose to relocate.

-- Robert

>channel my maul
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/21/2020 09:39 PM CDT
>Someone did this in the commons the other day and just announced to the room that you should tap them for healing. I chose to relocate.

This is explicitly against policy (Policy 18, Character "Bots"). You should report the next person you see doing this.

Fyonn's player
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/21/2020 09:42 PM CDT
<<Someone did this in the commons the other day and just announced to the room that you should tap them for healing.>>

I refuse to relocate, I send a REPORT instead when this happens.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 03/22/2020 09:35 AM CDT
>> This is explicitly against policy (Policy 18, Character "Bots"). You should report the next person you see doing this.

Hrmmm… I'm not clear that policy 18 applies as the character was responsive. The policy lays out that the healing character would be called a bot in the first paragraph, but then goes on to specifically reference unresponsive characters in the 2nd paragraph making me think that if both players are responsive, but using the 'tap me for heals' activation, then there is no policy violation.

So... the healer can say "Tap me for heals!" and run their script and so long as they are otherwise responsive to the game (or at least the GMs) then there is no violation taking place.

Character "Bots"

For the purpose of this policy, a character "bot" is defined as any character that is either responsive or unresponsive to the gaming environment that uses any sort of trigger which can be executed by third parties to perform automatic "services" (e.g., healing, lock picking, spell casting, etc.).

Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff, even if the unresponsive character(s) is not connected to your account, will be considered against policy and result in a warning and or other penalties. For example, if you knowingly activate a script run by another character who is unresponsive (such as set up to cast spells when "tapped"), you will receive a warning for scripting abuse.

-- Robert

>channel my maul
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 06/29/2020 06:41 AM CDT
I realize this is a little late, but I love that the tent NPC is named Laleena.

-Grandsome

"Leash and Grandsome, those guys are a menace." - Jhadasur
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 06/29/2020 12:22 PM CDT
+100

(We need a monkey NPC with special messaging for Grandsome, that comes around once a year... ::whistles innocently:: )

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 06/29/2020 01:28 PM CDT
TBH I just pulled that name out of the air and did not check to see if it had been taken yet.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves

Avawren ~ I have Survival and a knife. I can work it out.
Re: Locksmith Pool Opens In River's Rest 06/29/2020 10:01 PM CDT
Right? I came back after being gone for years and knew nothing about locksmith pools.

I went into the tent and immediately was like "Holy crap, Laleena has a freaking tent now??"

Then I just sort of assumed it was named after her, which was just as cool.

B