Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/09/2020 11:13 PM CST

Just wanted to thank Cryheart and friend (sorry I'm afraid I'd miss spell the name and badly so I won't attempt it).
Spend some silver to go to Rivers Rest via the portal system to snag an item for sale in one of the shops. Then since
I'd not been there in a very long time I thought I'd test the new weapon on some undead nearby that were lower level
then my paladin. Silly me, damn undead disarm and did so quite quickly.

Couldn't recover the weapon because the undead wouldn't be so nice and leave so I could free up both hands and kneel
down to recover the item. Lucky for me Cryheart and friend happened by. They cleared the room so I could free both hands,
kneel down and recover the weapon. Pain in the backside that was. So I guess i'll work up my weapon bond in the Landing
for the time being in Shadow Valley where I won't have to worry about new weapon loss.

As an aside, being three level higher than the spectral warriors, I was surprised at how easily I was disarmed. Also
the new recover item verb is a PITA to use. Ah well. Anyhow thanks again for saving my new weapon.
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/10/2020 06:30 AM CST
<As an aside, being three level higher than the spectral warriors, I was surprised at how easily I was disarmed.>

Spec warriors have always been one of the biggest PITA critters to hunt in the game. Between their heavy armor, phase out ability, potential to carry claids, and disarming they're really not worth hunting for anyone except maybe monks (that said, everyone should go there once when like level with them to experience the area).

Don't write off RR completely just cause of them though, the areas across the Bay are some of the most fun hunting I've had and you're just the right level for most of it. You're level is slightly low to hunt the lowest level undead over there (Miasmal Forest), but by level 35 you should be able to get started on the southern part of it (skeletal soldiers can disarm, but they're easy enough to disable it's not a huge risk... and they're no where near as good at it as spec warriors). Oteska's Haven, the Keep, and the Citadel are also all fun, if challenging areas to hunt as well as you get skilled enough to tackle each one.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/10/2020 10:32 AM CST

Definitely not writing off RR, I just have to take a step back for the time being. The dwarf is working his way through Voln and until he's mastered that and got his weapon bond up to level 5 it just seems like I should pass on the area for the time being. I've not spend time in RR since Dwu roamed there if my memory serves me. Basically I've not spent any real time there since the boot went away back in 2001-ish???? I made a couple trips out in the mid 2000's via the Cutter but that's it before leaving GS.

Even Cryheart was surprised that they disarmed. Hehe. Most of those higher level hunting areas are all new to me, and I do want to go and explore them. Once I've got the game back down to where I'm not feeling overwhelmed. I'm so rusty I couldn't recall how to use the Cutter and ended up spending silver I couldn't afford to round trip back via the Four Winds Hall. 50k then 75k, when did I become so broke silver wise. lol.
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/10/2020 03:03 PM CST
<I'm so rusty I couldn't recall how to use the Cutter and ended up spending silver I couldn't afford to round trip back via the Four Winds Hall. 50k then 75k, when did I become so broke silver wise. lol.>

Tell Cryheart he owes you that silver for not telling you the boot has been back in operation for some time now.... and clearly neither of you have read my guide to hunting in RR: https://gswiki.play.net/Starchitin's_Guide_to_Hunting_the_Rest

Hunting in and around RR is challenging, but if you take the time to learn the areas and the strengths/weaknesses of the critters in them it's def doable by the majority of characters. If you solo the Rest through the Citadel, everything after that will feel like a cakewalk.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/10/2020 10:04 PM CST

Hehe! He was out hunting with someone, that was just blind luck that he wandered by and helped, being a good knight that he is. I never asked him since I didn't want to trouble him more than I had to with the aid that they did give. As to my reading the guide, it's now on my short list to read! I'm still being overwhelmed after being gone for nigh ten years. I might have played for twenty years, but it's been a long ten gone. :/ Thanks for the link, I will be sure to read it. I fix skilled my paladin to drop his claidhmore and swapped to ohb/shield to do something different. Until his new weapon gets to the level five bond so it flies back to his hand on disarm/drop etc, I'm limiting myself to just hunting the Landing while mastering Voln.

J
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/11/2020 05:07 AM CST
<I never asked him since I didn't want to trouble him more than I had to with the aid that they did give.>

Just about anyone you see that's become a citizen of RR will usually be happy to help anyone with questions (if you don't want to ask, most have it shown in their PROFILE). Some of us will be over the moon with glee even if our characters don't necessarily react that way. I know for a fact Starchitin, Hesha, Sixle, Diria, Nishi, and Toman will nearly always stop what they're doing for someone asking questions, esp if they're in character (a couple of them can regularly be found around the Landing, the rest rarely leave RR).

Also, quite a few Resters don't use Lich but do keep the amunet active, so it never hurts to send out a thought on that if you're having trouble finding someone. If you're in the Landing and have questions, run by Silverwood Manor and ring the bell at the door... the Mentors are absolutely awesome!

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/11/2020 12:37 PM CST
Hey, so is the boot back to being a crystal amulet? or is there a silver charge? The wiki confuses the heck out of me as far as costs, chronomages, boots, and cutters....

(and Cryheart has and always will rock)

~Heathyr
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/11/2020 01:06 PM CST
>> You drop a crystal amulet into a huge hollow log. You notice a flash of light come from inside the hollow log.

Crystal amulet it is!

Player of Kyaloria
@Kyaloria#0165
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/11/2020 01:30 PM CST
Citizens of RR can also buy pieces of driftwood from the general store in RR and use that instead of a crystal amulet, if they wish.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/11/2020 01:43 PM CST
Yay! So next question because I can't recall...where is the boot and the log? The maps seem to be from the time before they were back in play.

~Heathyr
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/11/2020 01:46 PM CST
The boot is in the boat in Kobold Village.... the log east of the drawbridge outside RR. Bring 5 silvers with you to get across the drawbridge if you're not a citizen of the Rest.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/14/2020 10:26 AM CST
>I know for a fact Starchitin, Hesha, Sixle, Diria, Nishi, and Toman will nearly always stop what they're doing for someone asking questions, esp if they're in character (a couple of them can regularly be found around the Landing, the rest rarely leave RR).

I'm offended.

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/17/2020 12:01 AM CST
When I came back, I went to River's Rest because that was a formative place for Darcnea. Hunting krolvin with Darrue and hanging out with Sarahoff at the Sanctuary. It was so empty though, that I didn't stick around.

It will always have a super important place in my heart, though.

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 01/17/2020 12:01 AM CST
Also, I love Cryheart. Such a wonderful person to still be playing in our game. <3

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: Thanks Cryheart. :) 05/10/2020 09:03 PM CDT
Well, now. That's pretty cool.