DemonWall 05/07/2014 06:56 PM CDT

Ever since I first learned of the DemonWall (reading the original histories way way back), I've treated my Like_A_Rock family of dwarves as coming from the mountains near Rhoska-Tor.

For a name-in-red: How far north of Rhoska-Tor (and Maelshyve) is the DemonWall?

And, (please) are we going to have anyone visit who talks about the efforts to try to complete the DemonWall, and the effects it is having on refugees in that region? Perhaps one of the knights of the Golvern Star?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: DemonWall 05/08/2014 11:38 AM CDT
>>For a name-in-red: How far north of Rhoska-Tor (and Maelshyve) is the DemonWall?

I don't have a specific number yet for you, but if you look at the colored map on the main site ( http://www.play.net/images/gs3/maps/Turamzzyr.jpg ) the red border by Brantur in the south should give you a good idea of where the Demonwall is.

>>And, (please) are we going to have anyone visit who talks about the efforts to try to complete the DemonWall, and the effects it is having on refugees in that region? Perhaps one of the knights of the Golvern Star?

Refugees?

As for the Demonwall, Sir Toliman already made a brief appearance in Chapter 2 of this storyline, and you can expect to see him again. In fact you can expect to get a lot more about the Demonwall soon...

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: DemonWall 05/08/2014 05:21 PM CDT

>> I don't have a specific number yet for you, but if you look at the colored map on the main site ( http://www.play.net/images/gs3/maps/Turamzzyr.jpg ) the red border by Brantur in the south should give you a good idea of where the Demonwall is.

Thanks, I should have reasoned that out given all the information about the different phases of the wall being constructed, and the tidbit that it is the Human Empire funding the construction to keep the demons out.

Over two-hundred and fifty years, and that wall is still not done.

>>As for the Demonwall, Sir Toliman already made a brief appearance in Chapter 2 of this storyline, and you can expect to see him again. In fact you can expect to get a lot more about the Demonwall soon...

Clunk missed out on the visit from Sir Toliman. When he asked about visiting knights, I think he also heard about a Sir Norallen.

Clunk wants to ask about the wall and Spiritcry.

Clunk

Re: DemonWall 05/11/2014 03:34 PM CDT

I think seeing the Demon Wall will be interesting, I always thought of the Star as one of the most elite fighting forces in Elanthia...the very idea of a group of knights who fight demons, with weapons and armor of the considerable enchantment level to stand up to demons, on a wall at the edge of an empire is rather appealing. The visit from the Knight trying to get into the organization, even though he was already knighted, did a good job of showcasing them as a rather elite force....plus they have to be a little crazy right?
Re: DemonWall 05/11/2014 06:35 PM CDT

IC I spoke with one knight of the order, or perhaps it was a Baron or representative of the Empire about serving on the wall. The impression I took away from the conversation was that not everyone on that wall, wants to be there. Press-ganged, or perhaps some other method for picking up these warrior/knights may be used. I am also interested in where this Arc may lead to see the wall, and wonder if the title Knight, is something you may not really get to enjoy in service there, as you would other parts of the Empire with the same title.

~Mychar wonders why he cannot leap over the railings onto invaders with his stiletto.

~Because you are Greganth, not Batman.
Re: DemonWall 05/11/2014 10:34 PM CDT
The Demonwall's garrisons are for the most part conscripted from the provinces whose borders it runs along- generally Trauntor and Chastonia. Southern Sentinels over the years have requested to extend it past the Wizardwaste, also known as Ba'Lathon, but the southern provinces are required to foot most of the funding, and this isn't a dinky two-foot tall mud brick wall, this is a vast fortification complete with intermittent strongholds, garrisons, etc. stretching over hundreds of miles. Previously, only a hundred fifty knights of the Order of the Golvern Star manned the wall out of its original three hundred knights- this number has been swelled over the years to two hundred, whereas the order itself has to reasonably be close to 400-450 in 5114.

The Order of the Golvern Star's current two hundred knights and their lances (squires, pages, men-at-arms, artisans and other retainers, so 'a knight and his lance' could mean sometimes a knight and a dozen people, not all of them combatants though) and the Imperial Drake's two hundred warmages (one would assume they'd have assistants and apprentices also) aren't the only dudes manning it, really, but they're there not only because they're kind of awesome at what they do, but to inspire the men-at-arms and conscripts manning it, maintain discipline and order and, most importantly, lead them.

So, straight from the Timeline of the Turamzzyrian Empire, it's this passage in the year 4848 (roughly 266 years ago):

The Order of the Golvern Star is founded. This martial organization was formed in response to the embarrassing loss at the hands of the Faendryl. Sir Pyrrhon Von Kammersteyl, a knight from Immuron, gathers a large following of warriors to his ultra-disciplined ideal. The Golvern Star believes that had the imperial forces been more disciplined, they would have been victorious at the Breaking.
The Golvern Star grows quickly to number roughly 200 knights and 600 squires, pages, and men-at-arms. The Order of the Golvern Star is intensely loyal to the throne and their goal is to attain glory for the empire. While largely autonomous, the OGS accepts a role as an elite arm of the imperial military. Unlike other military groups of the time, the OGS does not answer to any of the Sentinels. The OGS is allowed to determine its own goals and activities, though one thing has held true for their entire history: whatever the throne asks, the OGS does.

THE MOAR YOU KNOW!

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!
Re: DemonWall 05/11/2014 10:37 PM CDT
derp correction, original TWO hundred, not three hunnid. This is decidedly not Sparta.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!
Re: DemonWall 05/12/2014 10:15 AM CDT
Thanks to GM Scribes for providing the quick info on the Demonwall's timeline, based on the official docs on the main site.

4909 - Completion of the Demonwall as it has reached the edge of the Wizardwaste. By this time the Order of the Golvern Star has grown to nearly 350 knights and 900 squires. The 150 knights on the Demonwall no longer comprise the bulk of the order, and the knights become more involved in other areas of the realm.

5080 - Southern Sentinel Chandrennin requests imperial aid in extending the Demonwall from the Wizardwaste to the western coast of the empire. Hannelas consents and construction begins. This work is currently in progress.

5093 - Empress Mynal'lyanna brings back much of the Turamzzyrian pride within the empire, reviving the restrictions imposed on non-Humans by Chaston's Edict. The infusion of racial pride becomes most prevalent in the military and nobility, and in cities nearest to the imperial capital.
The empress increases taxes to support a significant increase in imperial troops, declaring her vision of conquest and expansion into the corners of the world. Funding for the extension of the Demonwall is reduced due to the greater needs of the imperial army, and the burden of completing the wall falls on Sentinel Chandrennin.

The extension of the Demonwall should be nearing completion, if not completed already. Only time (or a cool NPC) will tell!

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: DemonWall 05/12/2014 10:27 AM CDT

con·script noun \ˈkän-ˌskript\
: a person who is forced to serve in the armed forces

The number for today is A.

Thanks for the lesson, I didn't think I had misinterpreted what I was told. It could well be that those on the wall wish they were elsewhere.

~Mychar wonders why he cannot leap over the railings onto invaders with his stiletto.

~Because you are Greganth, not Batman.
Re: DemonWall 05/12/2014 12:00 PM CDT
My own, non-official thoughts, by the way, is that probably some of the laborers are drafted/forced to work on the wall. It's possible that the Southern Sentinel pays high enough a wage to encourage volunteers, hence part of its costly construction. The OGS is definitely a service any knight with grander aspirations than his local province or dedication to another order would happily volunteer to join. However, not all are fit to serve on the Demonwall.

GM Scribes
Re: DemonWall 05/12/2014 06:35 PM CDT

Thuunk was born 4906, three years before the first leg of the DemonWall was completed.
Thuunk came to the Landing 5094 or 5095 or thereabouts.

Nobody wants to end up on the wrong side of the Demonwall.

Thuunk
Re: DemonWall 05/12/2014 10:19 PM CDT
The Order of the Golvern Star, while the most prominent figures of humanity on the Demonwall, are also known to venture into the Empire (and certain unincorporated areas of Elanthia) to determine and deal with threats elsewhere.

I wonder if anyone recalls the tale of Sir Telohrus and his grisly demise.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: DemonWall 05/13/2014 04:55 PM CDT
>>I wonder if anyone recalls the tale of Sir Telohrus and his grisly demise.
OOC

recall? No?
But I have logs ....

Do you mean this? If so, the ending was not part of the dream ...
(Occurred about three years back, if recall is correct, Ebon Gate, 2011)

>For a brief moment the area grows deathly cold...

Suddenly, a crimson aura descends upon you in a violently spiraling haze, completely enshrouding you!

You feel drained.
A strange thumping, like the sound of a large animal's heart beating rapidly, is heard in the distance. You listen thoughtfully for a moment, then feel a strange tug at your very soul! Suddenly, pain wracks your body, and the screams of countless tormented spirits is all you can hear!

A crimson aura disperses momentarily, engulfing the entire area, then reforms around you once again! A quiet, droning sound briefly emits from the aura.

>A deep gust of wind blows through the mine, a foul stench upon it.

>Telohrus strikes the granite underfoot with his claidhmore, drawing the blade across the surface to form a perfect star-shaped pattern within a hexagonal frame.

>Telohrus bows his head and chants a short prayer, causing golden and white light to momentarily coalesce in front of him.

>Telohrus raises his hand overhead as he completes the chant. Thin as fine crystal, a golden aura spreads from the star-shaped pattern and encompasses the area. The aura seems to vanish entirely as it touches you.

>A dull crimson light pulses in the depths of the abyss, reminiscent of a monstrous creature's beating heart.

You feel horribly fatigued and stagger as your knees grow weak and tired. A stabbing pain starts in your lower back and works its way up your spine, into your skull.
Roundtime: 12 sec.

You fall to your knees as everything around you appears to burst into flames, though you feel nothing but the coldness of death. Your limbs feel heavy and lifeless as your body slumps to the ground, and everything seems to blur into a fiery chaos.
The ground beneath you violently shakes and rumbles causing you to fall down!
Roundtime: 7 sec.

As quickly as it came, the lifeless feeling fades away and is replaced with a horrific burning sensation, as though every part of your body was on fire! You manage to open your mouth in effort to scream but hear only the sounds of tearing flesh and cries of tortured pain.

A huge incarnadine vathor suddenly slashes open its own wrist, causing a torrent of fiery blood to pour forth into its hand. The blazing inferno begins to writhe and reform, the flames solidifying into a sleek black metal that takes the shape of a flaming axe!

>Telohrus glares at a huge incarnadine vathor.

>Telohrus bows his head and chants a short prayer, causing golden and white light to momentarily coalesce in front of him.

>A huge incarnadine vathor slashes its flaming axe through the air as it growls something in a strange, flowing speech.

>Telohrus says, "Hold your ground! Prepare for it to destroy the ward, they always do when they are this strong."

>A huge incarnadine vathor glares at the surroundings, the bulging veins in its arms flaring up with flames for a moment.

>Telohrus holds his claidhmore in one hand, relaxed at his side. The tip of the blade begins to glow with a deep, blood red hue that quickly spreads along the weapon's edge.

>A huge incarnadine vathor slathers its long tongue through the air as it grins bestially.

You see a fairly typical incarnadine vathor.
It appears to be in good shape.
It has a huge black jagged axe wreathed in blazing inferno of lurid black flames.

>The incarnadine vathor is a towering humanoid monstrosity of muscle, teeth, and fire, its skin dark as dried bloodstains and dotted with stone-like black clusters of razored spikes. Its long, wolf-like snout is lined with jagged teeth, and heat rises up from its maw in steaming, blurry waves. Its beastly face is framed by two large horns, each ridged and glistening as if they were carved from dark basalt. Two massive wings flow out from its back, black and membranous like a bat's, and tipped in black-taloned hooks.
>A huge incarnadine vathor hurls itself against the protective ward, colliding violently against a golden aura that suddenly flickers into existance then disappears once again as the demon withdraws.

>A huge incarnadine vathor seethes with anger and fire streams from its nostrils! The demon throws its head back in a howl that echoes in the abyss behind it!

>A huge incarnadine vathor points at a spot just beyond your feet.
A burst of flames erupts from the floor and soon a furious fire begins consuming anything combustible there.
>A huge incarnadine vathor whirls its flaming axe over its head, sending forth a burning shroud of infernal fire exploding over the surroundings.
>The fire sings a searing song of crackling, elemental power unleashed. In accompaniment, a vortex of hot smoke whirls off into the air with a deep-throated whoosh.

>A huge incarnadine vathor roars and charges at Telohrus once again! The golden aura flickers into existence once again, and shatters as the vathor strikes it with a ferocity only a demon could possess!

In this possession, Clunk did not see the end.

Clunk

Re: DemonWall 05/13/2014 09:49 PM CDT
I had a friend who found one of Thandiwe's containers that was like a handkerchief or whatnot and you opened it and inside were some objects.. anyway, the objects within the container included a broken golvern star spur and some other broken items, looked very "old golvern star knight"y.. I wonder if those are still around.
Re: DemonWall 05/13/2014 10:46 PM CDT
That was still a great log Clunk!

It was also how Sir Telohrus was released from his curse.

He was once a venerable knight of The Order of the Golvern Star, who was sent after a powerful demon during a critical point in the construction of The Demonwall. The hunt resulted in Telohrus tracking the demon to the swamplands of the Feywrot Mire when it was a mining colony. The vathor, terribly weakened from an encounter with the knight, ended up possessing the body of a miner named Lugadvin who ambushed Telohrus and strangled him to death. Telohrus was disgraced by this defeat and his spirit's unwillingness to leave his duty unfinished was his curse. Fortunately, players went to the Ebon Gate festival and helped him put an end to the demon once and for all, and Telohrus' spirit was able to pass beyond.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: DemonWall 05/14/2014 07:33 AM CDT
So those who man the wall are like the Night's Watch trying to keep the white walkers away.

>>We are the ones who will never be broken. With our final breath, we'll fight to the death. We are soldiers.
Re: DemonWall 05/14/2014 09:31 AM CDT
<<So those who man the wall are like the Night's Watch trying to keep the white walkers away.

In the simplest sense, yes, as Night's Watch =! OGS and White Walkers =! Demons, but you do have two dedicated military organizations stationed on a massive wall guarding against specific threats.

GM Scribes
Re: DemonWall 05/14/2014 05:40 PM CDT
This is what you get for making war against the Faendryl. Do not poke the bear with a stick.
Re: DemonWall 05/18/2014 12:30 PM CDT
>>I had a friend who found one of Thandiwe's containers that was like a handkerchief or whatnot and you opened it and inside were some objects.. anyway, the objects within the container included a broken golvern star spur and some other broken items, looked very "old golvern star knight"y.. I wonder if those are still around.

I had/have one of these containers, which I traded for or purchased a couple years ago, perhaps. I believe it has a longsword and shield in it. Also one of the handkerchiefs or cloths. I would definitely have to go digging for it and it's somewhat possible I sold it.

~Galenok