Brainstorm 11/06/2018 01:46 PM CST
Hello, all -

It's planning time! I am here to ask for your ideas/wishes/desires/fondest dreams and whatnot. What part(s) of the Island would you like to see developed? This is a non-hunting project.

Examples could include stuff like..

Update items in shops such as (tell me what shops)
Expand the swimming hole
Put in tables (I'll say no, but still, it's an example)
Add another bar/tavern
Bring (activity) to Teras that right now we have to go to (place) to do
Bring us a new NPC that isn't related to geese.

Etc!

~Liia
Speaking in Elven, Nihrvanah says, "Listen, I'm no Flava Flav."

Gweneivia softly says, "Lavabombs are just the isle's way of saying it loves you."
Re: Brainstorm 11/06/2018 02:15 PM CST
>> I am here to ask for your ideas/wishes/desires/fondest dreams and whatnot.

1) I want an NPC ale cart vendor that rolls around and will take your (hand him anything edible) and make it into an ale. Similar to the snow cone vendor cart in Icemule except you are handing him the ingredient (vs. spinning for a flavor). Acantha ale anyone?

2) I want to be able to push people into the lava tube.

3) Add a cobbling shop (If there is already one then change my ask to raise awareness about the cobbling shop on Teras).

4) Put a zip line transport system on the volcano. No... really!

5) If we can't push people into the lava tube (though I am still holding out for this) then how about an NPC that rousts people sleeping / being inactive on the streets.

6) Put a secret lair underneath the bridge.

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Brainstorm 11/06/2018 02:26 PM CST
>>1) I want an NPC ale cart vendor that rolls around and will take your (hand him anything edible) and make it into an ale. Similar to the snow cone vendor cart in Icemule except you are handing him the ingredient (vs. spinning for a flavor). Acantha ale anyone?

It takes a much longer time to brew than it does to pour pre-existing flavored syrup on a scoop of ice. I don't think this is a real on-the-spot type boozegrab. (I just invented the word boozegrab). At the very least, it would involve a big time sink at the brewery and possibly incorporation with other systems (can you say alchemy? No? Me either.).

>>2) I want to be able to push people into the lava tube.

I'd rather see this happen in the lava flows. Regardless, it would have to be demeanor based. Are you looking for people to just die by fire more frequently? Because I have lots of ways to do that.

>>3) Add a cobbling shop (If there is already one then change my ask to raise awareness about the cobbling shop on Teras).

I will check on this, because I honestly don't remember.

>>4) Put a zip line transport system on the volcano. No... really!

Like.. just for kicks? To bypass other traveling methods? To fall into the aforementioned lava flows, just from higher?

>>5) If we can't push people into the lava tube (though I am still holding out for this) then how about an NPC that rousts people sleeping / being inactive on the streets.

I would love to see a return to (some of) the old days where people didn't sleep at the statue, etc. But if setting them ablaze regularly doesn't do it, I'm not sure this would, either. There's no official rule against standing around doing nothing.

>>6) Put a secret lair underneath the bridge.

Hmm. Hmmmmmm....

~Liia

Gweneivia softly says, "Lavabombs are just the isle's way of saying it loves you."
Re: Brainstorm 11/06/2018 03:07 PM CST
I appreciate the thoughtful responses! My additional thoughts on your thoughts...

>> >>1) I want an NPC ale cart vendor that rolls around and will take your (hand him anything edible) and make it into an ale. Similar to the snow cone vendor cart in Icemule except you are handing him the ingredient (vs. spinning for a flavor). Acantha ale anyone?

>> It takes a much longer time to brew than it does to pour pre-existing flavored syrup on a scoop of ice. I don't think this is a real on-the-spot type boozegrab. (I just invented the word boozegrab). At the very least, it would involve a big time sink at the brewery and possibly incorporation with other systems (can you say alchemy? No? Me either.).

I get your points but maybe the vendor owns a magical boozegrab (TM) cart?

>> >> I want to be able to push people into the lava tube.

>> I'd rather see this happen in the lava flows.

So now you've sparked an even better idea (IMHO). What about a special push maneuver that can be utilized on the lava flows? Just for... fun!

I don't have any great reason for requesting this one other than... fun.

>> RE: Cobbling shop

Thanks! This is a serious ask. :-)

>> >> Zip line transport (ZIT)

>> Like.. just for kicks?

Mostly because it would be cool / fun to hit different spots of the isle this way. SURE I can use ;go2 or even... walk there. But this seems like a cooler way to get around if such a thing existed.

>> >>5) If we can't push people into the lava tube (though I am still holding out for this) then how about an NPC that rousts people sleeping / being inactive on the streets.

>> I would love to see a return to (some of) the old days where people didn't sleep at the statue, etc.

Me too.

>> There's no official rule against standing around doing nothing.

Does there have to be a rule?

>> >>6) Put a secret lair underneath the bridge.

>> Hmm. Hmmmmmm....

Do it! Just don't tell anyone. :-)

If nothing else, hopefully some of this discourse spawns additional ideas and suggestions!

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Brainstorm 11/06/2018 05:20 PM CST
>> It takes a much longer time to brew than it does to pour pre-existing flavored syrup on a scoop of ice. I don't think this is a real on-the-spot type boozegrab. (I just invented the word boozegrab). At the very least, it would involve a big time sink at the brewery and possibly incorporation with other systems (can you say alchemy? No? Me either.).

>I get your points but maybe the vendor owns a magical boozegrab (TM) cart?

I have a wine press that churns out wine automagically within seconds. I can't see why a dwarf wouldn't modify that (or perhaps have the original design) for ale.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 10:25 AM CST
~ New Look Pavilion ~

Recently I was playing around with the new styles/characteristics offered up for seashells at the Betterment Boutique in Ebon Gate; however, I wanted to check up on the "free" styles available at the New Look Pavilion too (since these are specific to each race/gender combination) -- but I had to take my character back to the mainland for that. I know there are New Look Pavilions in WL and TV ... and those are perfectly situated on different sides of the world ... but I'd love for the island of Teras to have one as well if it's not a huge undertaking.
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 11:27 AM CST
>>I'd love for the island of Teras to have one as well if it's not a huge undertaking.

It's such a small undertaking that it's already there!

[Dragonspine and Golvern]
A troupe of dwarven musicians entertains the crowds at this busy intersection. The dwarves gathered around clap appreciatively, some singing along in clamorous, off-key voices. Other dwarves wander by about their business, many headed to or from the town gates to the north. One huffs and puffs with a large wheelbarrow full of rocks. You also see a squalid canvas pavilion.

~Liia

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:10 PM CST

Id like to see exotic Teras fruits. Maybe a stand or food market. Stuff you can only find there. Like, "a ripe Greymist pineapple. "
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:14 PM CST
>>Id like to see exotic Teras fruits. Maybe a stand or food market. Stuff you can only find there. Like, "a ripe Greymist pineapple. "

You can always get the Terasian strawberries, soups, candies, etc. that have been available for years and were moved into the Museum during the anniversary festival.

I am allergic to pineapple.

~Liia

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:16 PM CST
>>>I want to be able to push people into the lava tube.

I want to push GM Liia into the lava tube!

>>>Put a secret lair underneath the bridge.

Put GM Liia's secret lair underneath the bridge.

>>>Similar to the snow cone vendor cart in Icemule

Plagiarism!

FGM Necios
Overlord of Icemule Trace
Subscriptions team flunky
Champion of subject/verb agreement

Svardin recites:

"Two, Four, Six, Eight!
Who should we obliterate?
Dau-khera!
Dau-khera!
Go Icemule!"
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:16 PM CST

I, too, miss the days when being blatantly AFK in public just wasn't a thing.

How do you encourage that? I'm not sure. One way would be to make it not entirely safe. Maybe if you stand there for too long, the fellas with carts start to run over your toes with them.

Scribes (and others) used to have smugglers abduct people who were blatantly AFK in the RR commons, beat them up, and dump them in the caverns by the Warrens. I presume that would require actual GM intervention.

I'd love to see a bar or tavern that is a node and has a dart board, or some game of skill, that encourages player interaction.
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:17 PM CST
Id like to see MORE exotic Teras fruits, and a NPC pushing a cart of them. No pineapples. How about "a firethorn mango"?
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:36 PM CST
>>How do you encourage that?

Lavabombs. But people don't seem to mind dying.

>>I presume that would require actual GM intervention.

As with invasions and lavabombs, it is all manual on a GMs part.

>>I'd love to see a bar or tavern that is a node and has a dart board, or some game of skill, that encourages player interaction.

No comment on nodes, but I suggest exploring the Whining Elf or the Hog's Pen. Skill is, well, debatable. The DDR used to host Terasian craps and have initiations in the Pen, but they've gone the way of the ... other things that aren't here anymore.

~Liia

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 12:38 PM CST
At the violent insistence of GM Necios, my office will now directly exit into a secret lair under the bridge. Not that anyone will ever know.

~Liia

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 01:20 PM CST
>> But people don't seem to mind dying.

Ya know - this is troubling.

Perhaps death should just stop your advancement in your tracks, until you speak to a GM, in some cases. Like being reported AFK and being confirmed as likely AFK in a very public place.

New category for Estild to play with - Death Sting: Ultimate .

I dunno - sorry. Bad day at the office, and tired of folks just flat being inconsiderate. So I'm dragging it here. I'll stop now.

Doug
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 01:35 PM CST
1) How about a ship other than the Glaesen Star, one that isn't so costly? I wouldn't mind exploring Teras--but the trip there is too expensive for me to buy tickets on a regular basis, since I have to keep making regular trips to more populated areas to get spells. (I know the trips to the Landing are free, but the trips to Teras emphatically aren't.)

2) People always seem to be dying on the island when no one is around to heal or raise them, forcing people to either decay or depart and take a penalty for something that isn't their fault. Is there a town healer on Teras? Or a town cleric? What about a system for the dead to transport themselves to the town healer and/or cleric if there are none in their vicinity?

3) A boutique shop that offers attractive clothing that is cheaper than at Marienna's Market. (62,500 silvers for an off-the-rack cloak is a little costly.)

4) An instrument shop. As far as I know, Kharam Dzu and Zul Logoth don't have any--though both towns have Bard Guilds. Surely dwarves have their own style of music--and maybe even their own instruments. (Erithians do, after all.)

https://gswiki.play.net/Category:Instrument_Shops

5) A fishing shop. Teras is an island; people must fish. Yet I can't see any fishing shops here:

https://gswiki.play.net/Category:Kharam_Dzu_Shops

6) Run a GM storyline there. (In which case I'd advise suspending the cost for transport so that people could get there more easily.)
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 03:30 PM CST

Somewhere on Teras to use the fishing gear from the new shop
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 03:33 PM CST
>Lavabombs. But people don't seem to mind dying.

People mind dying so much that not only did the new upgraded skayls got nerfed shortly after release, the originals did too.
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 05:13 PM CST
>> Perhaps death should just stop your advancement in your tracks, until you speak to a GM, in some cases. Like being reported AFK and being confirmed as likely AFK in a very public place.

>> New category for Estild to play with - Death Sting: Ultimate .

A different topic and I'm pretty sure I am in the minority with my opinion but I do feel that they have made dying too easy in this game (meaning there should be more of a penalty for dying).

-- Robert

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 05:15 PM CST
>> People mind dying so much that not only did the new upgraded skayls got nerfed shortly after release, the originals did too.

While these may seem like similar topics, I think there is a difference between cheap / annoying deaths or maintenance while hunting and the level of penalties associated with dying.

-- Robert

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 05:18 PM CST
I think there's enough of a penalty to dying. Too much, in fact. It doesn't even make sense in-game--why would Lorminstra, one of the Arkati in charge of death, want to punish people with death's sting for dying? It's not as if dying is in any way a benefit, so why punish adventurers for something that was not their choice?

Also, I might not play if there was more of a penalty. I don't think I'm alone there, either.
Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 05:20 PM CST
>> >>>Similar to the snow cone vendor cart in Icemule

>> Plagiarism!

It is only plagiarism if I don't give credit to the original snow cone idea (which I did). Also, I didn't realize that plagiarism had an extra 'a' in it so thanks for that!

-- Robert

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 05:34 PM CST
While you are noodling on those ideas here is another one.

What about introducing a new, uniquely dwarven holiday or two that is observed on Teras? This is partially a lore thing but could easily apply to Teras. I cant' imagine that dwarves only celebrate the same traditions and holidays as all the rest of Elanthia.

- A dwarven Octoberfest where it is customary for all in attendance to get smashed (okay, maybe this one isn't very unique to dwarves).
- The annual airing of grievances against those who have done you wrong in the past year.
- The traditional day of casting your woes into the lava tube (with items representing your woes being tossed in).

Hopefully that give some (not well thought out) ideas to illustrate the concept.

Possibly this is also out of scope for your ask so my next ideas(s) will confirm back to the original ask!

-- Robert

Re: Brainstorm 11/07/2018 06:16 PM CST
>>What about introducing a new, uniquely dwarven holiday or two that is observed on Teras? This is partially a lore thing but could easily apply to Teras. I cant' imagine that dwarves only celebrate the same traditions and holidays as all the rest of Elanthia.

>>- A dwarven Octoberfest where it is customary for all in attendance to get smashed (okay, maybe this one isn't very unique to dwarves).
>>- The annual airing of grievances against those who have done you wrong in the past year.
>>- The traditional day of casting your woes into the lava tube (with items representing your woes being tossed in).

Oh, I like those, Robert.

What about:

a) a festival honoring Eonak (and, by extension, celebrating the dwarves that Eonak created)?

b) an annual holiday celebrating the founding of Kharam Dzu some 200 years ago?

(If these things already exist, then I'm glad.)
Re: Brainstorm 11/10/2018 12:12 AM CST
More dwarf lore. A map of the underground city. An NPC dwarf, any is fine, but maybe a grand vizier type who can teleport to Zulu logoth and kind of connects things. He could be a transmute teleporter type or a boss mode cleric.
Re: Brainstorm 11/10/2018 04:38 AM CST
- Cheaper and easier way to get deeds (haven't tried this for a while so may have changed)
- Yes please to expanding the swimming hole, maybe some extra rooms with some nice scenery to picnic at, camp or hang out. A natural rock water slide? Hot pools like the blue lagoon in Iceland.
- A way to master Voln without having to go back to the Landing
- Zip line sounds cool
- I don't get the afk thing, just ignore them/pretend they're statues
Re: Brainstorm 11/10/2018 07:10 AM CST
>> A natural rock water slide?

+1 to this and the hot springs idea!

>> I don't get the afk thing, just ignore them/pretend they're statues

Pushing statues into the lava tube would be fun too? :p

-- Robert

Re: Brainstorm 11/12/2018 11:52 AM CST
I got it. How about some sort of research center for dwarven miners near the top of the volcano. There can be a node to rest at, a tavern, a shop to sell stuff. Like a Company Store branch.
Re: Brainstorm 11/14/2018 10:08 AM CST
>>How about some sort of research center for dwarven miners near the top of the volcano.

With ziplines you can push someone down so they land in the lava flows? I sense a theme.

~Liia