Renewal 06/10/2022 07:45 PM CDT
The sun hung low on the horizon, illuminating the Valley of Horouth in late afternoon light. Kasendra Malwind stood atop a tower in the keep of Elstreth taking in the view of the city below and the valley beyond.

"Even so many years later the view still takes me back to slipping up here when we were children," a voice said from behind her. Kasendra smiled as she turned to see the speaker, Aurmont Anodheles, move to stand beside her.

"Used to think this was the entire world, and how grand it was," she answered. "Then we learned there was so much more out there, first in the Empire then beyond. I still enjoy the view, because all of this was Father's world, and he cared about it so much. Seeing it helps to ease the pain, even if just for a few moments."

Aurmont laid his hand upon his cousin's and squeezed it gently. "Even knowing this day was coming, it was still difficult to find words to do Uncle Bannon justice."

"You did more than fine, Aurmont," Kasendra replied and placed her other hand atop his to squeeze it in turn, "both at the service and in your proclamation. Thank you."

"If it was not to deliver some terse words to me about my speech where no one could see, why did you want to talk to me, Kas?"

"Nothing to do with Father. Well not directly," Kasendra began, turning to face her cousin. "There's something he said to me a while ago that I keep thinking about. He told me that he was proud of me and would love me no matter what I did. And that I should not worry, because he was not going to worry either, because he knew everything was in good hands because they were our hands. I know he was telling me that to make my decision about Ta'Illistim easier, but that last part has been stuck in my mind."

Aurmont did not say anything, but leaned against a merlon and nodded to Kasendra as he continued to listen.

"Our hands, Aurmont. I know for you it has been this way for some time, but with Father gone the responsibility lies with us now. There is no one else to blame or run to for help. It is upon us to make things better now. And to that end I have a favor to ask of you."

"Of course, Kas, you know you only need to ask," Aurmont answered, but then stopped as Kasendra shook her head.

"I just want you to listen. No saying yes, no saying no, just listen and think about it. This is no little thing, but it needs to be said."

The Emperor nodded his head. "Very well Kasendra. Let us hear it."

Kasendra smiled briefly, then paused to close her eyes and take a deep breath. "I want you to do the right thing, and I know in your heart you want to do it too. You are a good man, Aurmont, and have always wanted to do well for your people. But you also have the weight of the Empire on your shoulders, and that is a lot to balance. But that heavy crown also brings with it the ability to do what needs to be done, even if others are opposed. Because while you may always want people to agree, you are the Emperor, and it is your decision in the end that counts.

"I can give you more reasons for doing this, though some might be seen as selfish. That Father believed in equality, exemplified that his whole life, and you could do this now to honor him. To do this for me, because one day Salnim and I will have children, and I never, ever want people to look down upon them because of the blood that runs in their veins, or worse hold it against them because they legally can.

"But the most important reason you should do this is for all those people out there," Kasendra said, gesturing down to Elstreth and beyond. "Do this for all the people of the Empire, who come in so many shapes and sizes, but all have chosen to live in it. Honor them and their deeds, and be the ruler the Turamzzyrian Empire deserves by giving them equal standing. This is our time to make things better, and you can do that by repealing Chaston's Edict."

The sun sank lower on the horizon, but light still shone upon the top of the tower, as Emperor Aurmont Anodheles and Lady Kasendra Malwind stood there silently in contemplation.

This message was originally posted in Cities, Towns, and Outposts, Solhaven. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/225/2496/view/3346