Concern about viability of heavy plate in 3.0 03/28/2012 01:22 AM CDT
I took up heavy plate awhile back when I got YS because it offered the promise of being a sort of Arcane Knight. I saw the "Knight Magister" title and was sold.

Now that in 3.0, YS won't reduce hindrance, but simply increase an armor skill, what is the likelihood of heavy plate remaining viable?

I'm rather concerned that I'll have to pick up chain instead of my beloved heavy plate just to hunt without overwhelming penalties.
Re: Concern about viability of heavy plate in 3.0 03/28/2012 08:39 AM CDT
>Now that in 3.0, YS won't reduce hindrance, but simply increase an armor skill, what is the likelihood of heavy plate remaining viable?

YS will also not increase absorption.

>I'm rather concerned that I'll have to pick up chain instead of my beloved heavy plate just to hunt without overwhelming penalties.

This is a bit of a concern, but I'm not sure you can describe the penalties as 'overwhelming'. In my current set up (Half Plate, HP helm, LP greaves and gauntlets), I go from fairly to insignificant hinderance with YS - a hit sure (with this decrease in hinderance going away), but I don't notice an 'overwhelming' difference between having YS up and not.
Re: Concern about viability of heavy plate in 3.0 03/28/2012 09:22 AM CDT
Keep in mind that the not only armor but armor skills are going to work differently in 3.0. So, while you won't see YS boost armor stats directly, having increased/excessive armor skill won't be seen as "useless" at it currently is. They'll be more to armor skill than "did you hit minimum hindrance?"

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Concern about viability of heavy plate in 3.0 03/28/2012 01:51 PM CDT
<I'm rather concerned that I'll have to pick up chain instead of my beloved heavy plate just to hunt without overwhelming penalties.>

I had the same concerns about chain going into combat 3.0 so I picked up cloth and chain accessories and switched to leather body armor and within a few months my other armor skills have caught up and surpassed my original chain ranks. Additionally getting hit here and there gave me a better feel for how much protection versus hinderance I was getting with the various armor types. When combat mechanics and spell effects change I won't be heavily backtraining. (fingers crossed)

skaen
Re: Concern about viability of heavy plate in 3.0 03/28/2012 02:00 PM CDT
I switched to wearing all four armors that will exist in 3.0, which means I wear both types of plate and have several mixing penalties. Keep a couple things in mind:

1) Evasion's importance in 3.0 is getting nerfed. It will no longer be the be-all, end-all of defenses, assuming you can still parry and/or shield block well.

2) Damage is being scaled back, especially at high levels.

I conjecture that plate will be an attractive option as a non-Paladin in 3.0 assuming you have no interest in stealth.