SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 02:13 AM CDT
What does that stuff mean?

In a SvA...when I cast the spell, what happens?
When it's cast at me...what happens?
What affects it's ability to hit? My ability to dodge?

Is it strictly stats, or does evasion play a role?

WvW? What helps it hit? What helps it miss?

SvS? Just...what?

Red'

>>That whole anti-stud comment doesn't apply to just the boys here. Girl gamers are just as damaged-goods as the guy-gamers are, they're just a lot more emotionally fragile about the whole thing. ~LOFTONM1
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 02:39 AM CDT
SvA (stat versus agility) Spells:
Offense - Discipline, Charisma, Agility, Reflex
Defense - Reflex, Agility

SvS (stats versus stamina) Spells:
Offense - Discipline, Charisma, Strength, Stamina
Defense - Strength, Stamina

SvW/WvW (stats versus will) Spells:
Offense - Discipline, Charisma, Intelligence
Defense - Discipline, Intelligence, Charisma

No, skill does not help you with these. The shield brooches on Ratha contain Psychic Shield, which protects against WvW spells. You can't cast it beyond 'weak' because you're not a Moon Mage, but it will help against spells like HULP.

Rev. Reene

"But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars." -- Kain, Defiance
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 02:47 AM CDT
>SvA (stat versus agility) Spells:

Minor nitpick: spell vs agility. Really it should be 'finesse spell' 'physical spell' and 'will spell' or something to that effect, but habits die hard.

Note: stats are not listed in order of importance, nor are they all equal. However, this gives you a general sense of what's involved. Basically common sense, although I think most people don't realize how much charisma is used in the calcs.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 03:01 AM CDT
Charisma is very bloody important, which is the only way I'm able to reconcile playing an Elf Moon Mage as my main.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be a different race when I look at the cost to raise Discipline.

Rev. Reene

"But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars." -- Kain, Defiance
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 08:21 AM CDT
Sometimes it's good to be a Dwarf.

Ok, all the time.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 01:44 PM CDT
>>Oh what I wouldn't give to be a different race when I look at the cost to raise Discipline.

If I was choosing based solely on stats, my character should have been a Gnome.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 03:36 PM CDT
>If I was choosing based solely on stats, my character should have been a Gnome.

Gnomes are great as long as you can handle getting called a shorty all the time.

Strength : 32 Reflex : 99
Agility : 60 Charisma : 47
Discipline : 99 Wisdom : 99
Intelligence : 99 Stamina : 36
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 08:10 PM CDT
There's no skill contest?

Ostensibly, by these explanations, I could cast a FS at 1 mana with 99 agility 99 reflex and 1 rank of TM/primary and beat the CRAP out of people?

Red'

>>That whole anti-stud comment doesn't apply to just the boys here. Girl gamers are just as damaged-goods as the guy-gamers are, they're just a lot more emotionally fragile about the whole thing. ~LOFTONM1
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 08:17 PM CDT
Forgive the double post...but pretty much everything is just based on TDP's then? I should be training 19 armors/weapons and all the lore I can handle?

I'll reserve my rant for when that statement is confirmed.

Red'

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 08:32 PM CDT
>> Ostensibly, by these explanations, I could cast a FS at 1 mana with 99 agility 99 reflex and 1 rank of TM/primary and beat the CRAP out of people?

Fire Shard is a TM spell, not a stat contest.

Rev. Reene

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 08:43 PM CDT
All target spells are SvA by def, and TM most certainly factors into the attacker's side of that equation.

Mana also factors into all spells on the attackers side, which is how your PM/Harn ties in there.

Otherwise, yes, it is a stat contents.

This is why, at level, the attacker tends to win - because they have the ability to give the spell some more "Umph" whereas the defender cannot.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 08:57 PM CDT
>> All target spells are SvA by def, and TM most certainly factors into the attacker's side of that equation.

No, it is not the same thing.

Agility and Discipline do factor into the offensive force and accuracy of a TM spell, but it is not the same contest, the same stats aren't all involved and it is not remotely the same thing we are talking about.

You are just muddying the water unnecessarily.

Rev. Reene

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 10:34 PM CDT
Actually, I do believe TM spells are SvA. One example, the old break branch (straight SvA) would bonus the power based on TM. Except it was balanced for having 0 TM. Heh.

But generally speaking, ranks matter a LOT more with TM spells, unless you're talking DFA vs shield.

Although in the long term, Red, TDPs are huge. However, training multiple weapons and armors isn't the ideal way to earn them unless you aren't otherwise slowing down your combat progression. This is rarely the case beyond 2 or 3 weapons, despite what people might say.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 10:37 PM CDT
>> Actually, I do believe TM spells are SvA. One example, the old break branch (straight SvA) would bonus the power based on TM. Except it was balanced for having 0 TM. Heh.

IIRC, that was a special hybrid contest. Much like Burn was.

It's not the same as the TM model.

Rev. Reene

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/24/2008 11:05 PM CDT
>>IIRC, that was a special hybrid contest. Much like Burn was. It's not the same as the TM model.

Yeah, exactly. Once you get a TM spell off it works very much like ranged.

~Thilan
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/25/2008 08:01 AM CDT
Train as many skills as you can while circling at a realistic pace.

Training more than 3 weapons slows down anyone including Barbarians. Don't bother.

Also, I'm with Reene on this one. You either have your TM spells or your SvA/SvS spells.

Aether Lash? TM
Frostbite? SvS
Ice Patch? SvA

Sure, some of the stats for SvA will probably help your TM spells but on the whole it is not a pure stat vs stat contest. When I contest frostbite my ability to evade or hide behind a shield doesn't help me defend. Likewise with Ice Patch. I'm fairly confident my evasion plays almost no role in defending.

- Galren

>>The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He's lost the game before he's chosen his character. He's lost the game even before the decision of which game is to be played has been made. His problem? He does not play to win.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/26/2008 10:51 PM CDT
<<SvA (stat versus agility) Spells:
Offense - Discipline, Charisma, Agility, Reflex
Defense - Reflex, Agility

SvS (stats versus stamina) Spells:
Offense - Discipline, Charisma, Strength, Stamina
Defense - Strength, Stamina

SvW/WvW (stats versus will) Spells:
Offense - Discipline, Charisma, Intelligence
Defense - Discipline, Intelligence, Charisma>>

This, an Elanthipedia page. With a better explination would be great.

Abison
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/27/2008 04:51 PM CDT
>> This, an Elanthipedia page. With a better explination would be great.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Contested_spells

Rev. Reene

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/28/2008 03:37 PM CDT
Lots of great help, thanks everyone, I'll be reading up on this. So long as skill plays a decent part, I don't mind about spending tdps. I've just started working 3 weapons (was only 2 before). Hopefully I can get a piece of forge LP soon to start training that as well.

Red'

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/28/2008 03:41 PM CDT
>So long as skill plays a decent part, I don't mind about spending tdps.

Skill only plays a part in being able to cast the spell at a given amount of mana. Once you can do this, skill plays essentially no part, except in overcoming BMR.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/29/2008 06:55 PM CDT
So essentially when I cap a spell because of my primary/harness ranks...that's it? After that I'm just training to kill barbarians?

Red'

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/29/2008 08:13 PM CDT
>>So essentially when I cap a spell because of my primary/harness ranks...that's it? After that I'm just training to kill barbarians?

You can also cast spells at higher mana faster with more PM. More Harness gets you more attunement (no longer visible as numbers in Info, but still easily noticed if you use scrolls regularly) and (unless you are magic tertiary) faster attunement recovery.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/29/2008 08:24 PM CDT
Could JMF or someone expand on the whole "PM overcoming BMR" point? I didn't know about that.

-Sephos
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/29/2008 08:30 PM CDT
Oh neat...I was hoping harness did something nice. Thanks...I never knew that.

Red'

Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/30/2008 02:13 AM CDT
>>So essentially when I cap a spell because of my primary/harness ranks...that's it? After that I'm just training to kill barbarians?

>>You can also cast spells at higher mana faster with more PM. More Harness gets you more attunement (no longer visible as numbers in Info, but still easily noticed if you use scrolls regularly) and (unless you are magic tertiary) faster attunement recovery.<<

But basically yes, once you cap that's it. The other benefits of PM are very marginal.

- Mazrian
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/30/2008 02:20 AM CDT
>Could JMF or someone expand on the whole "PM overcoming BMR" point? I didn't know about that.

Supposedly PM helps overcome BMR. That's about all I know. 1600+ PM doesn't do jack against the barbarians in TF, so we can't really test it.
Re: SvS, WvW, SvA and all the ones I don't remember 08/30/2008 11:00 PM CDT
>>Oh neat...I was hoping harness did something nice. Thanks...I never knew that.

Your top secret harness score is 100 + floor(HARN/10).

Your top secret harness (attunement) recovery rate is the greater of 2 points or the appropriate percentage of your current pool [see chart below] every five or six seconds.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Harness_Regeneration

[shooting star]
/the more you know

~player of Gulphphunger