Brazilian vs European Portuguese 07/03/2005 09:17 AM CDT
Well, my parents are from Portugal and I've heard both versions spoken, though mostly Euro. Basically, the South American version sounds more melodic. Some of their pronunciations are different and the language seems to flow better. They pronounce some t's as a ch- sound for example (almost like a soft g sound). If you had to learn one, I'd say Brazilian, I think it sounds better and there's probably more people who speak that type, Portugal is a smaaaall country.

Side note, as far as how foreign languages sound (in case you're trying to impress the ladies with your romantic self), I'd say the order for nicest sounding Romance language to least would be: Portuguese (Brazilian then European), Italian, French, Spanish (New World then lispy Castellano), and I don't believe I've heard enough Romanian to quantify it. Just my two cents :)

Dave
Re: Brazilian vs European Portuguese 07/03/2005 03:02 PM CDT
I'd put Brazilian Portuguese and Argentinian Castellano at the top. They are to their respective languages what Scottish brogue is to English.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al
Re: Brazilian vs European Portuguese 07/14/2005 09:11 PM CDT
>I'd say the order for nicest sounding Romance language to least would be: Portuguese (Brazilian then European), Italian, French, Spanish (New World then lispy Castellano), and I don't believe I've heard enough Romanian to quantify it.

Well, I'd put Italian first. But, then, I'm biased ;) I've never heard any Romanian, but I'd guess it's even more guttural than French, and probably has a Slavic influence. Since Slavic languages totally turn me on, I'm guessing I'd enjoy it. But for many people, it would probably have a less melodic and therefore preferable sound.

--David (Jolebin Swordstaff, Elemancer of Riverhaven)
Re: Brazilian vs European Portuguese 07/14/2005 10:31 PM CDT
Most people are utterly sick of the only exposure they've ever had to Romanian, and that is named Dragostea Din Tei.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al
Re: Brazilian vs European Portuguese 07/14/2005 10:38 PM CDT
>Most people are utterly sick of the only exposure they've ever had to Romanian, and that is named Dragostea Din Tei.

I actually like that song...

Steel.