Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/09/2005 07:57 AM CST
Anyone else experiencing this wacky weather of late? First we get 2 feet of snow. In a few days, it rains for 3 days straight giving me a new lakefront property that I didn't know I had purchased when I bought my home. A day of wait, then the freezing rain comes toppling power lines, utility poles and trees in a domino effect. In another day, 5 inches of snow. We now have 2 days reprieve and 3 more days of rain on its way.

Throughout this all I realized just how dependent we are on things. A family of 4 boys goes insane with no power. (We have a fireplace so all slept in the family room during the power outages.) Flushing toilets? Ugggh, those were out for 4 days due to high water. Since I live in a rather rural area, forgive me when I told you I sent the boys outside after the first couple of days. Where'd they go to the bathroom in the move Day After Tomorrow? They were all crammed in that little bitty library room.

Well, today I'm doing massive laundry, everyone is taking showers, and we are cleaning all the toilets in preparation of the next wave of weather.

Through it all, I tell myself that we are lucky. Things could be worse and we survive by just adapting.
Hotdogs and s'mores on the fireplace anyone?

~Player of Nikoa

One is only able to find one's true strength when one ventures from the pack........
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/09/2005 09:30 AM CST
Talk about some major ICK, Nikoa!

I was without power or water for a couple of weeks after hurricane Francis blew over. Fortunately flushing water was no problem as I live across the road from a creek. Also a number of local churches shipped in bottled water for drinking. But I got awfully tired of potted meat sandwiches!

Player behind Ryeka and the BROOD

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/09/2005 06:44 PM CST
Well look on the bright side. No tsunami here. Yet.

~Dulcinia

[Rencin] "any moonies about , i be needin a locate please"
[Daryn] "You are in front of the bank, Rencin"
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/10/2005 09:56 AM CST
It's funny I just watched that movie for the first time about 4 days ago. 3 days ago it started snowing and hasn't stopped much at all. Luckily I have everything I need to survive for weeks with no power as there hasn't been much power for longer than half an hour at a time. I'm actually quite enjoying it though when I think of the movie well.. perhaps the human race needs a wake up... Anyway I'm off before my computer melts from going on\off on\off like the power has been doing.

Beliel
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/10/2005 05:45 PM CST
Hmm. Might be terrible of me to say, but did anyone else hear about that tsunami and think to themselves "Wow, I think maybe the planet is finally tired of us?"

The mind of a warrior is like a mirror in that it has no commitment to any outcome and is free to let form and purpose result on the spot, according to the situation.
-Yagyu Munenori
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/11/2005 11:58 PM CST
<<Hmm. Might be terrible of me to say, but did anyone else hear about that tsunami and think to themselves "Wow, I think maybe the planet is finally tired of us?"

Yeah, it's soooooo torqued, that the thermometer I keep from the internet says that it's 64 degrees outside. at 12:57 am. ~snickers~ What a travesty.

I send my condolences to those of you who have the priveledge of snow days.

There were worms, I hate worms
They ate into my brain and drove me crazy!
crazy?...
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/12/2005 09:32 AM CST
Now we have another "flood" day with more rain tonight. Fought the flooding until 1 AM with my oldest outside digging trenches. Is it ever going to stop?????

~Nikoa

One is only able to find one's true strength when one ventures from the pack........
Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/12/2005 09:37 AM CST
Such a catch 22. Where I live in Utah, we are in desperate need of moisture and we have had a lot of snow and much more rain than we could ever imagine. It has not damaged us one bit, aside from those who have bad sewers and they get flooded. Sadly, I keep reading about the disasters that are slowly building up all around the nation and it almost makes me wish it would stop. So maybe it can continue to rain and snow here - in a nice way - and quit everywhere else.

Re: Scenes from the movie Day After Tomorrow. 01/16/2005 01:15 PM CST
I understand your weather woes.

I drove cross country recently. Took just over 40 hours.

Did a stretch of about 600 miles (12 hours, was going slow) in the middle of a severe winter weather warning.

P.s. I drove longer than 12 in a sitting, of course. Just only 12 of that stretch had the really bad weather. ;)