Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/18/2018 09:44 AM CDT
Hey all!

Let's do a PvP seminar this month. Come out and discuss, ask questions, and exchange ideas about how to PvP as a Warrior Mage. Here are some notes to consider:

The gold standard WM PvP base strat (according to me) is the following. You will want to vary it sometimes but this is more or less your best set of moves.

Have all your defensive buffs up, plus Substratum.
Have Rimfang up.
Have Blumfar Garaen (BG) and Dragon's Breath (DB) precast.
Have Ice Patch (IP) Pre-prepped.
Open by engaging your target and casting IP.
Prep BG at 100 mana immediately.
Spam all your BG attacks. (removes Manifest Force and cuts into the vitality shield, hopefully)
Spit DB. (probably a couple seconds too early to recast BG before spitting) You should be at melee range by this point, or a little before.

Hopefully you've procced a stun with the Dragon's Breath or a blade from Rimefang, for more hard CC.

Cast BG, and target LB.

Unload the second set of BG attacks, then cast LB.

Best case, your target died some time in that process and you can stop. Failing that, your target's somehow alive but in no condition to put up a fight and you can mop them up. If neither of those two things is true and you did all the steps, you know you are at a big deficit in this matchup. Retreat to another room to recast BG and get set to play cat and mouse until you can take the initiative again.

Successful PvP as a Warrior Mage is all about seizing initiative with hard CC and then abusing every tool you have to dump a ton of damage on your opponent while they can't move to stop you. Any spells that do't fit into that plan are either bad for PvP (that is, you would be in a stronger position just following the plan) or a response to a situation that shuts that strategy down (opponent is a Warrior Mage using Aether Cloak, has lots of stealth, is a Cleric, etc).

There can be variations. One variation could be opening with Vertigo since a capped Vertigo will give the target pulsing balance hits, an OF penalty, and will likely knock them down several times - and the effects can last over a minute. You potentially sacrifice the initiative but you gain some breathing room if things don't go as well as you'd like. You could also replace Lightning Bolt with Vertigo in the chain above since it's soft CC and won't trigger diminishing returns. Lots of good options with Vertigo.

Another variation would be opening with an area cast Shockwave instead of IP. You could do that when fighting a Thief to, if your timing is good, stop them from getting to melee in hiding and bring them out so you can attack. If you have any business fighting the person you're fighting you should be able to hit them with a fully targeted Shockwave, so it's a reliable way to get them out of hiding. If you can't see them coming at you you're in a bad spot and relying on your sense of timing and some luck, but this is at least an option.

If you're facing a cleric, you're mostly hoping they mess up or that you outclass them a lot. Good luck, I guess.

We'll talk about all that in more detail plus much more at the meeting!

Mazrian
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 01:06 PM CDT
I haven't seriously PvP'd in years, but just wanted to throw some thoughts out:

Is it worth closing to melee? Is it just to hold engagement, or to attempt to use our (secondary skillset) weapons?
What role does a TM focus play over weapon use?
What are your thoughts about throwing out a Tremor on the room, since the effect pulses for a substantial amount of time? Seems to be an oft-forgotten spell. Similar question with setting up MAB for more passive attacks.

Cheers!
-Firekast
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 01:26 PM CDT
>>Is it worth closing to melee? Is it just to hold engagement, or to attempt to use our (secondary skillset) weapons?<<

Closing to melee is to get an accuracy bonus, maybe hit with Rimefang, and make it harder for them to leave the room if they jump up and try to run. I would only try to use weapons if I had like...really good Light Thrown to throw blades or really good Crossbow to drop another bomb while the target is disabled.

>>What role does a TM focus play over weapon use?<<

If you have one and have all the tools to execute the above I'd use the focus.

>>What are your thoughts about throwing out a Tremor on the room, since the effect pulses for a substantial amount of time? Seems to be an oft-forgotten spell. Similar question with setting up MAB for more passive attacks.<<

IDK. Each of those things kind of ties you to standing and fighting in one room, which is dicy for a Warrior Mage in an even match. If you're going to stand and fight and your opponent is hiding then the balance debuff from Tremor is good. MAB has to be aimed by hand and reloaded by hand. You could maybe make it work but to me it seems more like a gimmick play.

Mazrian
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 01:27 PM CDT
If you're not closing to melee as a WM, you should probably never PvP. WMs have such incredible synergies at melee; PW allows us to dictate engagement, and right now EE is the king of PvP abilities.

TM foci are almost unequivocally better than using a weapon, largely because they can still be held and used in conjunction with Brawling and in particular grappling.

If I'm fighting as a WM, going for the throat, I arrive with EE up, PW the enemy to melee, grapple, Ice Patch, LB until dead.
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 01:34 PM CDT
>>If I'm fighting as a WM, going for the throat, I arrive with EE up, PW the enemy to melee, grapple, Ice Patch, LB until dead.<<

That will work if you outclass them enough to land a grapple and tank whatever they can throw at you. But if you can do those things you're going to win with whatever.

Mazrian
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 01:36 PM CDT
>>That will work if you outclass them enough to land a grapple and tank whatever they can throw at you. But if you can do those things you're going to win with whatever.

You do realize that you can't use most regular attacks while grappled, yes? That's...rather one of the points of grappling. The other is to (en)force engagement.
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 01:45 PM CDT
You can shove, you can brawl back, you can cast spells at the person grappling you, you can straight up slip yourself out of the grapple, etc.

Mazrian
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 05:29 PM CDT
>>If I'm fighting as a WM, going for the throat, I arrive with EE up, PW the enemy to melee, grapple, Ice Patch, LB until dead.

What is the purpose of EE here? Are you relying on the nerve damage? Are you trying to get them out of hiding so you can grapple them?

Also, LB until dead huh? No need for BG or DB? Just gonna use lightning bolt until the end?
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 07:12 PM CDT

TBH, maneuvers against a grapple are impacted heavily by balance, so being prone prevents more than you'd expect. Plus, that flat defensive penalty also impacts defending if I remember right. Having someone prone, nerves shot, and grappled will make rather quick work of them with LB, though going in with DB and BG precast is never, ever a bad idea.
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 07:41 PM CDT
>TBH, maneuvers against a grapple are impacted heavily by balance, so being prone prevents more than you'd expect. Plus, that flat defensive penalty also impacts defending if I remember right. Having someone prone, nerves shot, and grappled will make rather quick work of them with LB, though going in with DB and BG precast is never, ever a bad idea.

Depending on how many shocks you need to destroy someone nerves, you may be waiting a long time. 5 hits alone is waiting over a minute. If you need more blows then that (and you might if you don't outclass your opponent) then you could be waiting even longer. I would hope you don't need to wait that long to make this strategy work.

If you strictly use LB, you're also ignoring your fastest possible damage, I don't advise that but hey, do as you will.
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 07:50 PM CDT

Each success on EE increases the margin of the following success, so while you might not be getting max success on your first pulse or two, you can rapidly climb to max damage per pulse very quickly. And lets not act like this is 2.x pvp. Evenly matched fights last TOO long, now, if anything. EE has time to climb.
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 07:53 PM CDT
One of the most frustrating tactics I've faced is my opponent trying to keep capped vertigo on me the whole fight and sticking to pre-loaded spells like BG and DB. Since vertigo debuffs OF AND balance, with AEG and SW you can easily melee without ever getting touched by an evenly matched opponent, and run away when vertigo wears off or is dispelled so you can recast BG and DB. Then, rinse and repeat. (this is not a vs. barb tactic)

If you train your weapons and like to melee, it shouldn't be hard to land hits on your opponent with a big ignited weapon as he tries to keep from falling over (stand, attack or dispel, that is the question). If you're facing a magic tert MU, they'll never keep up with your casting. It's simple, but if you like to annoy your opponent, it can be quite effective.

I mean, the run-away and tag your opponent while never going melee tactic is annoying, too, from my perspective (paladin), but it was less annoying than the lol, I melee better than you and you can't touch me tactic.
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 08:01 PM CDT
>>I mean, the run-away and tag your opponent while never going melee tactic is annoying, too, from my perspective (paladin), but it was less annoying than the lol, I melee better than you and you can't touch me tactic.<<

That sounds hilarious. Though if he was making that work against a Paladin, he had a pretty solid numerical advantage.

Mazrian
Re: Warmage PvP talk at the WM Teaching Night this month! Saturday, June 29, 2018 at 9pm eastern. 06/20/2018 08:29 PM CDT
Not hard to hit someone on the ground, especially if they fall while immobilized or stuck in RT, assuming protect self fails (usually does). I mean, he didn't ignore hard cast TM (primarily LB, of course), or cyclic damage while toying at melee. Not EE, though (still don't really get the EE hate). The only damage I could sometimes land was a well-timed halt-shatter-throw every minute and a half or so (post 3.1), but paladin offense sucks so yeah... A mis-timed shatter-throw was a waste for a minute and a half.

I usually had a pretty good idea of even and over-matches back when I sparred A LOT (it's been months). That said, it's been several months, so I may be misremembering the melee efficacy of any post-3.1 opponents, or maybe they had sorcerous weapon buffs (never sparred with someone who takes MOF over AEG, so that wasn't a factor). I had a long fight back in 3.0 when paladins actually had some offense and it was a long fight against an over-match that I managed to split with him, and he definitely focused on melee. Most of my fights against WMs, LB was the only hard cast TM, obviously, and there's usually some cyclic TM, and not many of them recast BG/DB. I'll see if I can dig it up and Discord it to you. It was a pretty fun read back when I read all my matches to try and improve my tactics, and I only won to luck on the split match (he forgot AEG, and I had some lucky guesses as to his next move while we ran around and tagged each other before moving in).