Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/14/2016 11:00 AM CST
Guildmates,

I am announcing a contest open to Warrior Mages for theories based on Guild subjects. Participants will submit a thesis of their own, with supporting evidence found within Guild lore. The subject can be Historical, Magical (Spells, Artifacts, Research, etc.), Planar, or something else directly related to our guild as a whole. The work must make an attempt to illuminate a point about a previously unknown facet of your subject to the Guild at large.
A winner will be chosen by a small panel of judges and the winning work will then be submitted publically to all Guildmembers.

The Prize: a watered steel sigilated ring ensconced with pure white spiritwood

This sigilated ring is connected to the Plane of Water and works in the same manner as other well known sigilated rings.

Participants must be standing at Circle 30 or higher within the guild and will be forced to demonstrate their guild affiliation before the prize will be awarded. In addition, the work should be your own and any attempts to submit someone else’s work as yours may result in disqualification.

Please see below for further details.

(OOC:

The contest will last roughly 30 days unless I decide to extend it.

Please submit all entries in e-mail (not word docs) to my play.net address.

The winner will be forced to display their circle and guild by way of title and likely spellcasting or any other option I deem necessary. The intent is to ensure a WM gets use of the prize. While in general I’m very supportive of playability for deceptive characters and thieves, when the prize is something I had to pay RL $$$ to acquire: we are working on a different field.

While I only intend to reveal the winning theory to everyone on the forums, if others would like their work submitted regardless of win or lose, let me know and at the end I will post them.)

Signed,

Perune
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/14/2016 03:39 PM CST

I love this idea
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 02:55 PM CST
This is an awesome idea. Please post or otherwise make available all entries once the contest is done.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 03:36 PM CST
>>This is an awesome idea. Please post or otherwise make available all entries once the contest is done.

Thanks! I'll see what we can do.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 03:47 PM CST
I would participate, but I'm only 13th circle. :\
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 03:49 PM CST
>>I would participate, but I'm only 13th circle.

The contest is lasting 30 days and may get extended depending on participation levels and whatever else comes up.

30th circle isn't that high, if I were you, I'd participate and we'll cross the bridge of your level when the 30 or so days are up.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 03:59 PM CST
So are you going for something more akin to a masters thesis, or a doctoral dissertation?
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 05:13 PM CST
>>So are you going for something more akin to a masters thesis, or a doctoral dissertation?

LOL, it's not quite that serious.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/16/2016 06:39 PM CST

Warmagery is serious business.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/17/2016 07:11 AM CST
Hey, it is getting peer-reviewed.

Nikpack
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 03:28 PM CST
hmmm...

Am I gonna get banned from the Guild for my thesis on my 'illegal' esoteric planar research into Elemental Planes not taught by the Guild which completely destroys most 'magic theory' found in those highly inaccurate books full of lies we tend to find in our libraries?

Can I be vague or redact large portions of potentially sensitive information?

or do I go with the safe bet and write about "Just How Old is Gauthus?"

Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 03:34 PM CST
>>Am I gonna get banned from the Guild for my thesis on my 'illegal' esoteric planar research into Elemental Planes not taught by the Guild which completely destroys most 'magic theory' found in those highly inaccurate books full of lies we tend to find in our libraries?

Haha. Obviously I can't answer that question, but I'd think at Powerhaus' level, maybe he considers himself to have outlived the usefulness of the Guild? You could use this platform to make a point if you wanted to promote mystery "Element X" and go rogue if you wanted.

Just keep in mind that Perune has been fairly vocal about his anti-sorcery stance at Guild events.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 04:25 PM CST
Powerhaus' Theorycrafting

Hypothesis: Blackfire is Love, Blackfire is Life

Null Hypothesis: Blackfire is only slightly less awesome than the most awesome thing ever.

Equipment: (1) Blackfire scroll, (1) room full of bone wyverns

Methodology: I burned them, I BURNED THEM ALL AHAHAHAHAHA

Results: Hypothesis upheld, Warrior Mage sorcery is love, Blackfire is life.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 06:27 PM CST
But... Love IS Fire!

I always thought Incinerate (or any other unknown blackfire spells) were overrated - prolly due to it being an ancient sorcery spell that they vaguely understood how to use or control and only developed briefly (the Blackfire Cabal's reign only lasted 20 years), rather than our modern Guild spells that have been refined to perfection by researchers, are purely elemental, and only released to the Guild when approved by the Grovekeepers.

Blackfire was probably more like the ancient stories of our Guild where elemental 'magic' was bluntly unleashed upon our plane rather than in a finely controlled precise manner.

Also, I have trouble believing that the evil Blackfire Cabal's secret dark origin begins with someone thinking normal fire wasn't 'pretty' enough; as well something that could've been done with a simple pattern hue cantrip (if we had known about Aether back then.)

Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 09:21 PM CST
>Am I gonna get banned from the Guild for my thesis on my 'illegal' esoteric planar research into Elemental Planes not taught by the Guild which completely destroys most 'magic theory' found in those highly inaccurate books full of lies we tend to find in our libraries?

I want to read this book. Just 'Chamber of Secrets'-it-up and use an anagram generator for I AM POWERHAUS CINDERGROVE.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 10:42 PM CST
Voyle's submission is a piece about how the current planar model doesn't work and he proposes a new model that redefines two elements. I think as long as it is done respectfully the worse the Guild would do is suppress it or say it is inaccurate. It's never been my impression that theoretical strides are looked down upon.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/24/2016 11:31 PM CST
"Forbidden Practices and How to Inspire Them" by P.O.Werhaus

I figure I should use a pseudonym...

As long as I hit all the strokes of a literary best seller, it'll be a win: a relatable protagonist teetering on the brink of the dark side and murder a bunch of likable teenagers.

Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 11/26/2016 07:21 AM CST
I've received a few questions on whether or not the contest should be considered IC. I apologize if I was not clear on this, but the contest is IC. Anything submitted is tied directly to the character submitting it, and because some GMs are asking for these to be shown, it is highly probable that Perune will release all of the submissions to the guild at large.

So, if there are any concerns about IC repercussions for what your character submits, be aware that is possible. I would, at the least, expect some of your fellow guildmembers to give you weird looks if you're producing work that is not going to be considered "socially acceptable."

As a player, I have no problem with anything you submit and I welcome you to do as your character would do. I just want to be clear on the nature of the contest.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/06/2016 01:30 AM CST
So when's the deadline?

Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/06/2016 04:10 AM CST
>>So when's the deadline?

Right now I'm looking at the 17th of this month as being the deadline but may extend if I expect to get more entries by doing so.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/14/2016 10:02 AM CST
Hey everyone, I wanted to give a quick update on this:

I haven't received a lot of these and would definitely like to see a few more, and I've heard through the grapevine that there are definitely people working on a few.

I'd like to receive these fairly soon, say within a week or so. If you think it's going to take longer than that, please just drop a line here and let me know you're working on it but it may take a bit more time.

Thanks.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/14/2016 11:52 AM CST
You got mine, right?

Voyle
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/14/2016 12:00 PM CST

I'm working on one but its taking me longer than I realized it would, freaking tough to research things to support my hair brained ideas
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/14/2016 12:42 PM CST
>>You got mine, right?

Yup, sure did.

>>I'm working on one but its taking me longer than I realized it would, freaking tough to research things to support my hair brained ideas

That's OK. If a week goes by and you need more time just let me know.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/16/2016 10:23 AM CST
I punched reality right in the physics with my paper and caused my puter's motherboard to blow, and now I have to rewrite it using the notes app on my phone...

or my dog ate it, if that's more believable...

I'll try to be done in a day or two.

Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/16/2016 01:02 PM CST
>or my dog ate it, if that's more believable...

You break stuff spectacularly and regularly so I think the first story is the more believable one.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/16/2016 06:48 PM CST
The last thing I 'broke' in game ended up being really really really neat and I wish we could all have fun and play with it; but I'm not allowed to share...

::sadface::

You say broke, I say unintended feature.
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/16/2016 06:57 PM CST
Was it summon-able Element X katanas for WM's?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 12/16/2016 09:09 PM CST
Almost better than that! And as a WM it is something we should prolly be able to do anyways... just not the way I did it.

Re: Warrior Mage Guild Theory Contest 01/02/2017 11:21 AM CST
Hey everyone,

The contest has been going on for over a month now and I'd like to finish up, so I'm going to stop accepting entries after the 7th of this month. That gives everyone until midnight Saturday EST to finish up anything they're working on and submit it as an entry.

After that they'll be read over by those judging the entries and a winner will be announced when that's done. Thanks to everyone who has already submitted an entry, I've enjoyed reading them.