Tales of War: Warrior Mage social 01/25/2016 04:41 PM CST
Guild brethren,
War is the reason our Guild exists, and battle is central to our being. We are the sigils that raze our foes and the words that erect walls, and as Warrior Mages it is our duty to protect the provinces when they are threatened. In times of conflict it can be essential for younger members of our Guild to hear from our veterans and learn what it takes to succeed and survive in warfare.

As such, I invite members of our Guild to gather at the bar in Taelbert’s inn within Crossing at the date and time listed below. Whether young or old, all guildmembers and their friends are welcome to either share their experiences or simply listen in. I have also extended this invitation to Navesi of the Bard’s Guild and her guildmates so I expect we’ll have a chance to hear from those who have recorded war as well.

I look forward to hearing everyone’s tales.

Signed,
Perune

DATE: February 13th
TIME: 9 EST
Re: Tales of War: Warrior Mage social 02/06/2016 05:37 PM CST
Just a reminder, this is still happening at scheduled time soon!

DATE: February 13th
TIME: 9 EST
Re: Tales of War: Warrior Mage social 02/06/2016 11:10 PM CST
Thanks, Perune. Will be sure to be there.

- Saragos
Re: Tales of War: Warrior Mage social 02/15/2016 08:35 PM CST
Here's a heavily edited log (removing various chatter and movements). A bit lower turn out due to all the other events happening at the same time but I'd like to thank everyone who showed up to listen or speak.

You say, "Thank you for showing up, everyone."
You say, "The reason I wanted to gather everyone here is because I feel like there's a lot to be said for Elementalists in times of war."
You say, "For Warrior Mages specifically, we have a duty to defend the provinces, and more often than not the Bards record our victories, and our losses."
You say, "But even deeper than that, there's certain things that can be gleaned about warfare, and I asked some of the more experienced to come here and share their tales so we can all be more prepared."
You say, "Because as you know, Zoluren is currently in a time of war, and the northern roads can become quite dangerous."

You say, "First up! Navesi has a tale of a war encounter she's had."
Navesi says, "It's sort of part tale, part explanation of a Bard's role in war, as I learned it."
Navesi says, "The first thing a Bard learns in wartime is triage. Hodierna's Lilt should be one of the earlier enchantes chosen, and for any who don't know, this spell will restore the vitality, spirit, and breath of any in the Bard's group. A truly war-focused Bard should also learn Area Casting and be able to cast this enchante over an entire area."
Navesi says, "And this is what I did at first. Believe me, it was boring. I was too inexperienced even to tend to the wounded, so I was left simply standing, performing. However, I learned some things during this time."
Navesi says, "First of all, I learned that the mind can always be active. I listened intently to the gweths, and I learned how to direct people where they needed to go. I responded to requests about the location of the field hospital, and I touched base with fighters on the location of enemies. I made it my first mission to KNOW what was going on, and to pass that information on."
Navesi says, "Second, I cast Eillie's Cry on fighters passing through. This spell allows me to see the location of anyone who falls while under its effects, so I was able to begin coordinating dragging after deaths. When possible I recruited low-level Moon and Warrior Mages to help with the locating, and anyone not busy enough to do the actual dragging."
Navesi says, "Also important to this mission was to get out the favorless dead so they did not clog the works when there were favored dead waiting to be raised. So, I made it my second mission to coordinate clean-up of the dead, all of which I could easily do while helping the local healers with my enchante."
Navesi says, "And, I might add, the local healers are not able to do this well -- since they are busy doing the healing and raising. It is a particularly good job for a Bard, who must stand around there anyway but has nothing else to do."
Navesi says, "But one should not get the impression that a Bard should remain in triage forever. This is a choice every person must make for him or herself, but I chose, around the 40th circle, to head out into the fray. This happened during the attacks of the Akul'tiz, when the sun was blotted out and dark moths and moles roamed our streets."
Navesi gazes off into the distance.
Navesi says, "If one is brave enough to go look, sometimes one will find pockets of monsters that are less skilled than others. In our case, during this conflict, we often found such near the West gate of the Crossing. I made the call out onto the gweth for lower circled fighters to join me, and we engaged them."
Navesi says, "A Bard's strength in combat is her ability to inspire others. I used Rage of the Clans, Drums of the Snake, Naming of Tears, and Redeemer's Pride all to good effect. Beyond that, I could choose between damaging foes in the area with Pyre, debilitating them with Damaris' Lullaby, or healing my group with the Lilt. Later I would get other useful spells to choose from too, particularly Demrris' Resolve, which debilitates several at once and can be cast along with a cyclic."
Navesi says, "Overall, I like to think that a Bard makes a strong addition to any war party, and it is our duty to learn our enemies, and invite others to fight beside us. While a Warrior Mage makes a strong offense, a Bard makes everyone else stronger, with some good damage and defensive abilities as well."
Navesi says, "Beyond that, as Perune mentioned, there are roles for those who wish to record the conflict. You could say I might have even made this my major role, as the editor of the local newsletter."
Navesi says, "Knowledge is important to us, and it is another of our primary duties to record and share."
You say, "I have to echo her sentiment about Bards being great in any war party. They're of tremendous worth."
Navesi says, "Bards and Warrior Mages together can make a formidable team."

You exclaim, "Next up!"
You say, "The Warrior Mage, Saragos."
Saragos says, "Evening, all. I've been through a few wars and conflicts, but I wanted to talk about the first major one I fought in - the Gorbesh War."
Saragos says, "At the time, I wasn't very connected to what was going on. Mostly interested in having a good time, training, enjoying the lifestyle of an adventurer."
Saragos says, "Saw the Outriders a few times in the years leading up. They seemed little different from any other foe. Almost a distraction."
Saragos says, "Then... they blew up the gweth mines, crippling our ability to communicate."
Aerella softly says, "Very bad times."
Saragos says, "And they destroyed the temple and occupied the Crossing, too. I was one of the ones left inside, fighting it out with them."
Saragos says, "Every time someone dropped we lost someone to the resistance. Even if the gods brought them back, it was elsewhere."
Saragos says, "That war changed me. I was caught up in it, and fought because I was angry. How dare they do that to my city! But I also saw those with less strength, who suffered."
Saragos says, "I learned the value of conserving my strength, for one. Hit and run tactics. Get in, do the damage you can, and get out."
Saragos says, "But also... there are some who say that the Warrior Mage guild is nothing more than a guild full of living weapons. Dangerous, and difficult to control."
Saragos says, "And... they're often not far wrong. We are weapons. Nearly all of our spells are geared towards violence and bloodshed. And many of my guild bretheren focus only on sharpening themselves, making themselves into a better, more keen sword."
Saragos says, "I felt that way a bit, too."
Saragos says, "But it's important how the sword is wielded. Our guild can be a tremendous force for defending the realms. Point that sword that you've shaped yourself into at those who would harm others, oppress the weak."
Saragos says, "It's not enough just to be a loner, fighting my share from inside the city. I certainly didn't do anything to break the siege alone."
Saragos says, "No, it was the group of people who banded together, made themselves stronger with their unity, who marched up the Southern Trade Road, clearing the way to the Crossing."
Saragos says, "That war taught me to see my abilities for what they are - a boon, but also a responsibility to protect others."
Saragos says, "And finally, to never be complacent. People speak of the Elpalzi at times as if they're a stinging fly, annoying us, but unable to complete the deal. Talking back to them is one thing, but the time when you completely write off an enemy is likely the time he'll surprise you, I've found."
Saragos says, "That's mostly it, for me. The Gorbesh War left as quickly as it came, with the Gorbesh finally achieving an end that was never clear to me, and just.. melting away. We can see their legacy in the forts around the lands, even after the magics of the Battle Spheres are long gone."
Saragos says, "We can also see it in the Kaldar and Gnomes who migrated here. I never thought, after all that, that I'd end up marrying a Kaldar."
You ask, "Does anyone have any questions for Saragos about his experiences with the Gorbesh or war in general for a Warrior Mage?"
Zintharielle asks, "What were the battle spheres?"
Zintharielle says, "Before my time."
Aerella softly says, "Pure powerful evil."
Saragos says, "A siege machine, of sorts. Magical."
Aerella softly says, "Exploding spheres that would take out entire rooms of people at a time, controlled by the gorbesh."
Saragos says, "They realy punished us when we grouped up. Brought those things in."
Saragos says, "I've seen it speculated that they were Sorcerous, but at the time I wasn't well enough versed in such thing to make any kind of judgments."
Saragos says, "Most veterans of the war will curse them up and down, though."
Zintharielle smiles.
Zintharielle says, "Understood."

You exclaim, "Next up!"
You say, "Myself."
You say, "My tale is recent, and mostly for those who have not taken to battle."
You say, "At least, not a full scale war."
You say, "My mother was a Warrior Mage who died during Lyras' invasion of the east here."
You say, "And while I was too young to join a Guild then, her sacrifice had sparked in me something that caused me to eventually leave my family to join the Warrior Mages."
You say, "You want to make a difference, and to me, that's what my Guild represents."
You say, "Before the arena opened in the ruins, the Elpalzi sent a massive force to Kaerna."
You say, "Perhaps their entire force."
You ask, "I was only around 30th circle then, but I didn't want to stand around anymore, you know?"
You say, "I didn't want to sit back and watch my friends fight. No one likes that feeling."
You say, "But the fear of getting involved is also great. I chose to engage, but was certain I was marching to my death."
You say, "But like both Saragos and Navesi mentioned, I joined the main force of resistance we had."
You say, "And I was able to survive, and more so, I was able to make a difference."
You say, "With Navesi providing offensive magic and the Paladins providing all their defenses, I was able to fight many of Elpalzi forces."
You say, "Did I almost die? Yes, numerous times, and I did have to seek triage."
You say, "And yes, you need to know when someone else is worth healing more than you, that's war."
You say, "But I was able to make a difference, and that's all I can really say. If you're young, join the main forces, flee if you must, help drag the dead if you can."
You say, "But you can make a difference for others."
You say, "That's my short and sweet tale about our current battles in Zoluren."
Navesi says, "I also employ Warrior Mages to help in the efforts to watch key locations. Familiars are useful for that sort of thing."
Aerella softly says, "It is good to know there are those around who are trying to gather together during invasions, and make sense of how they attack, rather than just running around blindly killing or hiding."
You say, "It's very important to find the people who are organizing."
You say, "Because they're your best bet for success, as a group."