WM mentor night 03/08/2014 12:52 PM CST
Any plans on having a WM mentor night anytime soon? I get asked a lot of questions from players I can't answer and vice-versa.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: WM mentor night 03/08/2014 04:59 PM CST
What makes you think Mentors have the answers? :P

As WMs we have the unique advantage of being able to contact most any other mage and pester with questions. On the rare occasiona I throw a familiar at Powerhaus and see if he knows something I don't.

It would be nice to have a regular teaching night, though. I'd help support one but I'm not sure how much help I can actually lend... Just running my silly once-a-month spar a couple years back was a very, very surprising time commitment and energy sink, and now I've started grad school and have a busted router. :/

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: WM mentor night 03/08/2014 06:05 PM CST
>Just running my silly once-a-month spar a couple years back was a very, very surprising time commitment and energy sink...

Well I'm glad did those spars years ago because those were first PvP duels and I really got into PvP because of it. It really gave me something to strive for each time I went and learned some new tricks and strategies with each fight. Overall it was alot of fun so I appreciate you took the time to run those spars.
Re: WM mentor night 03/09/2014 08:51 PM CDT

>>>As WMs we have the unique advantage of being able to contact most any other mage and pester with questions. On the rare occasiona I throw a familiar at Powerhaus and see if he knows something I don't.<<<

That is an excellent idea. Never thought of that. Usually I just run to the guild and ask a bunch of zombies, wait a few and leave without any replies. Now. Who can I pester? Maybe someone can tell me how to use pathways proper because as it stands I find them a pain in the rear and not worth bothering with. I'm not good on a keyboard (two fingers, eye's down)and already have to many macro's to keep track of as it is ;). So if there is a really good way to tie them in with my combat macro's I would be glad to hear any and all suggestions.

~Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: WM mentor night 03/09/2014 09:54 PM CDT
For Me- There isn't really outside of summon admit'ing in combat, you can charge up before and let it run but you'll probably get 7/34 mindstate from a full charge.
If you get a + or - charge, casting won't affect it for another 10 seconds. So you're safe to cast an opposite spell, or spamming something aligned will do nothing.

Mostly I work it while chatting with people since it doesn't atmo visibly - turn on a pathway(defend lately) and then summon admit on repeat, let it run til locked.

Re: WM mentor night 03/09/2014 10:53 PM CDT
A good place to meet mages would probably be at organized spar events... I'm super out of touch but there are a few listed on the calendar.

The mentor teaching nights of OTHER guilds can also be helpful.
1) There are a lot (LOT) of changes lately that have affected everyone and are still frequently topics of discussion, and
2) Mentor events sometimes attract general know-it-alls. My war mage has barged in to more than one Moon Mage teaching night to steal waffles and ended up answering questions on the Prediction ability or moon mage history.

Dedicate some down-time to a hangout spot. The crossing empath guild, outside of the WM tower, the ranger tent in Haven. Set yourself up with some knitting, your magic script, whatever to occupy yourself in case nobody comes around to chat, but eventually someone WILL come around to chat.

Sometimes people are paying more attention to WHISPERs than room conversation. I have no idea why that is, but you can occasionally get someone's attention by whispering a direct question to them. Also don't be afraid to ask twice. Sometimes something gets lost of people in a huge bit of scroll they've gotten from the thought messages or something else you can't see but is all they can.

I walk around highlighting the names of characters who have ES up, and later I know who to strike up random conversations with on the platform of guild allegiance. You really do appreciate how popular the class is when half the WHO lights up bright orange.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: WM mentor night 03/09/2014 11:04 PM CDT
I'm not a mentor but I am always willing to help out with stuff ingame or on IM. My IM is in my profile. I thought I said this someplace but maybe I'm hallucinating.

- Starlear -
Re: WM mentor night 03/10/2014 02:51 AM CDT

If you spam your element's debil spell, say 2-3 times per kill, you charge up relatively fast. No need to sit in combat. For training purposes, air has the advantage of having two debils, two TM attacks, and two utility spells. So you can really crank your summoning up fast with it.

Fire's not bad either. 1 debil, 2 utility, and 2 TM spells.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.