Warrior Mage Stealing 12/21/2005 10:56 PM CST
So this isn't exactly warrior mage specific, but....

I've been trying to learn stealing recently, and have met with only meager success. Currently my strategy is to steal from a rotation of as many targets as I can convince to sit still with a 60-70 second delay in between attempts from a single target.

This works, but takes a ridiculously long time and relies heavily upon other PCs, making it unreliable.

Is this my optimal strategy, at 30 ranks? If anyone has advice I'd appreciate tips or a conversation.

-Sephos
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 12/22/2005 12:38 PM CST
the 60-70 second timer per pc is bullchip. increase frequency. i recomend steal from first pc, then second, then third, etc. umtil you get to end then back to first. this may mean first, second, first, second, first, second, etc.

otherwise yes this is your optimal strategy as non-thief-get-fined-for-begger-too-little-stealing-for-shops
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 12/22/2005 04:17 PM CST
How much stealing needed for a non-thief to start pilfering from stores?

-Sephos
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 12/22/2005 05:19 PM CST
I don't know. I wouldn't do it until PC stealing slows.

I'd say wait for 100 ranks. Depends how much you are willing to pay for fines.

When you do steal from shops, use this website:
http://elanthia.theflightline.net/

has items and values of items in shops. Bigger items are harder. More expensive items are harder. Shopkeeper perception adds a modifier still that varies from shop to shop.

Enjoy.
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 12/26/2005 01:53 PM CST
The stealing timer for one person is 45 seconds i believe... i'll go back and check my notes to be sure. So you will not learn from stealing from one target over and over without a 45 second delay.

You can steal from shops with 0 skill in stealing if you have good stats. But i wouldn't start trying with less then 40 stealing and 30 reflex/agility.

Also you live on ratha so i just wouldn't try there. Ratha is rather difficult place to steal from. In crossing i can steal envelops with my 41 ranks but i can not steal anything else with out being caught, which takes a ridiculious ammount of tries to do so.

Find me in game Sephos and i will have my notes for you then.

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 12/26/2005 11:12 PM CST
>The stealing timer for one person is 45 seconds i believe... i'll go back and check my notes to be sure. So you will not learn from stealing from one target over and over without a 45 second delay.

possibnly right.

i've seen various timers posted and they're almost all wrong. I've got a little n00b TF thief I've been training (only 50th so far...100th shouldn't be long). When he leaves combat to get healed, he juggles and steals from my pet empath while my pet empath heals and steals back. The empath steals a ton because the thief is more important to me, and I want the thief's perception to move more. The thief steals less frequently because he is busy juggling to move his percetion...and I heard stealing was on a timer so need to steal a ton except for target's perception.

However this is not so. The thief who steals, juggles 2-3 times, steals, juggles 2/3 times, etc. started with about 60-70 more ranks of stealing than the empath. The empath heals real quick, then steal, steal, steal, steal, steal.

The empath now has more stealing and is continuing to outpace the thief. So if there's a timer...it's certainly shorter than the normal 60 seconds or whatever people post. 45 seconds is getting closer.
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 12/31/2005 04:10 PM CST
It is possible that the timer would be based off of the guilds set up. Being survival tert ours perhaps is longer where an empath and thief learn survivals better so they may have a shorter timer.

This is ofcourse only theory because i only play a warrior mage, But i'm locking faster if i steal every 46 seconds rather then steal steal steal.

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 01/01/2006 05:29 PM CST
>It is possible that the timer would be based off of the guilds set up. Being survival tert ours perhaps is longer where an empath and thief learn survivals better so they may have a shorter timer.

>This is ofcourse only theory because i only play a warrior mage, But i'm locking faster if i steal every 46 seconds rather then steal steal steal.

how are you locking faster with steal every 46 seconds than steal steal steal?

Even if the timer is longer that makes no sense.
Re: Warrior Mage Stealing 01/01/2006 10:18 PM CST
>how are you locking faster with steal every 46 seconds than steal steal steal?
>Even if the timer is longer that makes no sense.

My only guess here is that steal steal steal gets him caught faster and thus he stops being able to steal from the person.

-Durnil