Pathway Power 09/15/2015 03:36 AM CDT
Gauthos wants to learn me on pathway power. Wiki says it lowers resistances for TM spells. any way we could have it lower resistances for elemental weapons? that would be rockin cool my friend, and I might actually use it in combat
Re: Pathway Power 09/17/2015 07:19 PM CDT

Pathways are for TM not weapons.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Pathways
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 08:31 AM CDT

since we psuedo train weapon, I think we should have pathways that affect em.

there is a pathway for seeing other pathways, and a pathway for battle spells (which are both not directly for TM) why not?
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 09:20 AM CDT

> since we psuedo train weapon, I think we should have pathways that affect em.

I think of pathways as always having a TM or meta-pathway component, even if they do other stuff (ie: barrage). Anything that's elemental should probably stick with spells, but WMs have a LOT of breadth with their theme. Anything that enhances weapons should probably be meta spells for the elemental weapons. There's a lot of potential to make those amazing. Like magnetizing stone weapons to boost +to hit, electric weapons a shock chance, fire weapons could apply a small burning dot, ice weapons could freeze and shatter critter armor, aether weapons (a thing?) could be DFA / spirit attack blades, or even elements could be combined at the high end for multiple effects at the cost of damage. You could even create -elemental damage barrier spell for enhanced damage from elemental blades. Make it a TM spell and it relates to the pathways. May the effects TM dependant, and you can use pathways for them too.
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 09:25 AM CDT
>>since we psuedo train weapon, I think we should have pathways that affect em.

If any guild needs something like this it's Barbarians since they are the weapons prime guild and are in dire need of something akin to what pathways do with TM/magic.

>>there is a pathway for seeing other pathways, and a pathway for battle spells (which are both not directly for TM) why not?

One is a utility pathway to interact with pathways and the other is tied to magic, and is thematic since TM is used in combat and battle spells are designed for quick use while in combat. WM are magic prime and so pathways make sense in the capacity they are used for them. The WM guild already has weapons buffs that are equal only to Barbs, anymore and the guild is severely stepping on the toes of the Barbarian guild IMO.
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 02:30 PM CDT
yea thats cool, they prolly could use that suggestion over in the barb folder.

Barrage maybe could use a second look to further increase synergy between TM and weapons via summoning.

when magic was borked, barbs could still learn weapons and armor prime and tert.

war mages have gone thru very long periods with only spells. and alot of older warmies do not and can not fight in melee what they learn magics from, yet they need offensive magics AND weapons to circle. So what is up with that? needing weapons to circle, having every defense except parry tert? c'mon baby, warmies have been flawed from the beginning, barbs just grunt and learn the good stuff just by din of the archaic primary/tertiary template
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 02:40 PM CDT

> war mages have gone thru very long periods with only spells. and alot of older warmies do not and can not fight in melee what they learn magics from, yet they need offensive magics AND weapons to circle. So what is up with that? needing weapons to circle, having every defense except parry tert? c'mon baby, warmies have been flawed from the beginning, barbs just grunt and learn the good stuff just by din of the archaic primary/tertiary template

Are there any guilds that don't compare to this? Every single guild is held back by either weapons, armor, or survivals. Every guild, save maybe paladins, maybe, has to use multiple areas to train skills required to level or artificially gate their circling behind secondaries or tertiary learning rates.

Even a barbarian can let a few of their weapons greatly outpace their defenses, which means they have to go into an area they can't easily survive to keep them moving.
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 03:04 PM CDT
<<Every single guild is held back by either weapons, armor, or survivals.

Moon Mages have it pretty easy circling wise. I've been held back by primary magic and astrology for the longest time now.

That said, combat guilds tend to be held back by secondary/tertiary combat skills. E.g. my Warrior Mage, Bard, Cleric, and Thief all need only primary weapon in order to circle for several circles. Even my Trader is held back by primary armour, but he's been pretty combat shy and likely the exception to the general rule of being held back by Trading and/or Appraisal since the requirement is very low.

Anywho, we should probably get back on topic of pathways before Annwyl drops the off-topic GvG thread closed hammer.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Pathway Power 09/21/2015 05:35 PM CDT
>>war mages have gone thru very long periods with only spells. and alot of older warmies do not and can not fight in melee what they learn magics from, yet they need offensive magics AND weapons to circle. So what is up with that? needing weapons to circle, having every defense except parry tert? c'mon baby, warmies have been flawed from the beginning, barbs just grunt and learn the good stuff just by din of the archaic primary/tertiary template

Using people's training strategies that have not worked out well for them, or development flaws from over a decade ago as a reason your guild deserves something that is more thematic for another guild is a pretty weak reason.
Re: Pathway Power 09/23/2015 12:54 PM CDT
>>I think of pathways as always having a TM or meta-pathway component, even if they do other stuff (ie: barrage). Anything that's elemental should probably stick with spells, but WMs have a LOT of breadth with their theme. Anything that enhances weapons should probably be meta spells for the elemental weapons. There's a lot of potential to make those amazing. Like magnetizing stone weapons to boost +to hit, electric weapons a shock chance, fire weapons could apply a small burning dot, ice weapons could freeze and shatter critter armor, aether weapons (a thing?) could be DFA / spirit attack blades, or even elements could be combined at the high end for multiple effects at the cost of damage. You could even create -elemental damage barrier spell for enhanced damage from elemental blades. Make it a TM spell and it relates to the pathways. May the effects TM dependant, and you can use pathways for them too. <<

Yeah, I think all sorts of weapon interactions fit the theme of the WM guild. But they'd be spells, surely, since Pathways are a specific thing. And a lot of what you're talking about sounds like it will be covered by Enchanting eventually.

Mazrian
Re: Pathway Power 09/23/2015 01:06 PM CDT

then I withdraw my pathway suggestion, and submit another suggestion to continue enhancing summoning. quite correct that summoning and elemental weapons are by far a superior system, but I don't share the sentiment that only barbs should have access to skills or abilities that improve their weapon handling. war mages are not the only ones with access to TM, and barbs are not the only ones with access to weapons skills. why barb fans are here worrying about what war mage improvements will infringe on their rights, I do not know. survival tert hurts bigtime pvp, so more offense not only with magic is always a welcome balancer imo
Re: Pathway Power 09/23/2015 02:49 PM CDT

I think it's fair to argue for guild identity.

> survival tert hurts bigtime pvp, so more offense not only with magic is always a welcome balancer imo

I'm not big (or even good) at PvP, but it seems to me PvP consists of 6 things. Defenses, TDPs, buffs, physical weapons (often ranged), disablers, and stealth/perception. Other than buffs and TDPs, Warrior Mages don't really seem ideal. All ranged defenses are tert, melee at secondary. Weapons are okay, but physical weapons seem to fare better than magical weapons due to prep/target time. Their disablers are okay, but they can't disable what they can't see.
Re: Pathway Power 09/23/2015 05:33 PM CDT
>>why barb fans are here worrying about what war mage improvements will infringe on their rights, I do not know.

As it stands right now WMs are as good with weapons as Barbs. All that Barbs have at this moment are skill buffs with no other way to augment using the weapons in a meaningful way. WMs are able to buff every offensive/defensive skill, just like Barbs. If you then take into account elemental weapons then I would consider that WMs have more meaningful ways to interact with weapons than Barbs (discounting skillsets).

I'm not against WMs getting anything, but if any guild deserves a meaningful, fun way to make using weapons better then the Weapons prime guild who has the same buffs as every other guild should get it. Every other Weapons secondary guild has a weapon they are not able to buff, except WMs, and IMHO I think that coupled with elemental weapons gives the guild plenty of ways interact with weapons.

>>PvP & WMs

Their real problem is perception, and they are better toe-toe fighters than guerilla style fighters. They have several tools to deal with the first, but the second issue makes those tools less effective.
Re: Pathway Power 09/23/2015 10:55 PM CDT

except for the whole weapon primary learning rate and the meaningful defenses secondary learning rate. barbs have the edge in perception evasion and stealth, arnor and shield which counts for a huge portion in pvp.

circle per circle a war mage vs a barb the war mage may have enough debil to slow the barb down, but the barbs offenses are going to be way ahead of the war mages, while the barbs defenses are going to be somewhere higher than the war mages defenses, with a resistance to magic to boot.

barbs are always a staple in sparring competitions, war mages are not. different guilds, but the one with war in the name is just not as good at making war on other players. war mages can make weapons sure, but they don't learn as well as barbs and you and I both know learning rates are very key.
Re: Pathway Power 09/24/2015 05:14 AM CDT
Sounds like Barb envy.

Instead of saying "this guild has this, I want this" try "here's a creative solution to a gap that I see in our guild"

Coming from my weapons secondary char with more combat maneuvers than a Barb.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Pathway Power 09/24/2015 06:58 AM CDT

Not at all.
The thread started off with no barbs talk whatsoever. Who introduced barb talk? someone with war mage envy I suppose. my guess is that that elemental weapons have turned some folks green. which it probably should, since its a great system with good depth and synergy with war mage skills.

we were discussing possible ways to improve war mage weapon effectiveness, so I said nothing of the sort, merely postulating proposals for expansions of weapons usage. since we can create the weapon, and use the weapon. Other folks wanted to interject barbarians into the discussion, read the posts and you'll see that you are incorrect when you accuse me of barb envy. I certainly would not want to be bored using weapons either, but I certainly don't look at the barb folder making sure suggestions don't infringe on war mage identity. see?

and since thiefs come in, yes its backstab and ambush for you guys. and maybe barbs are lacking in their maneuvers. maneuvers are a little underwhelming, but those discussions most likely belong in their respective folders no? nice try tho, read the posts to follow the thread, and read how barbs got in there in the first place.
Re: Pathway Power 09/24/2015 04:03 PM CDT
Here, I'll rephrase the request for everyone.

Warrior mages could use an ability to reduce elemental defenses of the target, and/or increase potency of elemental attacks against a target.

It was suggested that pathways could be used for this, which may not be the best avenue. But seeing as our guild is all about the elements, I completely agree that we should have a method of debuffing someone's elemental defenses.
Re: Pathway Power 09/24/2015 04:32 PM CDT

> Warrior mages could use an ability to reduce elemental defenses of the target, and/or increase potency of elemental attacks against a target.

Mark of Arhat is kind of close to this, but I agree with the premise. An elemental anti-barrier should be in the WM toolkit.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Mark_of_Arhat
Re: Pathway Power ::Thread Over:: 09/25/2015 10:03 PM CDT

So then this would be the wrong folder to randomly start a discussion unless it's related to the Aethereal Pathways.

Pathways being specifically for Target Magic things.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.