Summon Experience 12/23/2014 07:49 PM CST
So I have been playing around with different methods of training summoning. It seems that simply keeping a pathway up for an extended time does not teach well at all verses letting a pathway drain charge then filling back up with summon admit.

So this leads me to a few questions, do different pathways teach better/worse or are they all static?

Seeing how pathways are meant to be used in combat it would seem beneficial to keep casting aligned spells to keep the pathway up as long as possible, however it seems learning wise that this is not the case.

Aligned with air, laying down an air domain, and using quickness pathways I am able to keep it up for a long time without needing to summon admit, however this takes me up to a learning mind state at best.

The second method I've used is being aligned to fire, using the conserve pathway, and not casting any aligned spells until my charge is depleted. Then filling back up with summon admit will get me to around mind locked in about an hour.

The difference seems to be summon admit teaching more than actually using the pathway itself. Where as casting an aligned spell to gain charge has no impact.

- Erixx
Re: Summon Experience 12/23/2014 09:07 PM CST

>The difference seems to be summon admit teaching more than actually using the pathway itself. Where as casting an aligned spell to gain charge has no impact.

This is my chief complaint with the entire magic system in 3.0 unfortunately. You have go out of your way to MAKE the system teach you as opposed to doing what's natural.

Back on topic but with summoning, I thought I saw a post when 3.0 went live that certain pathways are aligned to the different elements. Argh, I can't remember and its not posted on the wiki.
Re: Summon Experience 12/23/2014 09:53 PM CST
It's kind of hidden on epedia, but here's the link of pathway alignments:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Pathway_command
Re: Summon Experience 12/23/2014 10:04 PM CST
<<kind of hidden on epedia

Hmm. I could have sworn I converted the pathway info to guild ability pages back when I did the same for glyphs for Paladins and a couple other conversions. I guess I didn't actually get around to them. I'll get those tidied up in the next couple of days.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Summon Experience 12/23/2014 11:06 PM CST
The alignments are all listed in the command itself, too.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Summon Experience 12/23/2014 11:11 PM CST
For optimal learning, I'd recommend using the pathway that is aligned with your aligned spellbook. I believe the pathway uses significantly less power that way, which means you can keep it much longer, which means you can learn it much easier. Doing that I had no problems keeping it locked at 615 ranks, without using any summon admit.
Re: Summon Experience 12/24/2014 08:33 PM CST
Yeah I'm aware of how to train summoning, about 1200 ranks of it. There wasn't really any hard data on summoning itself so I went ahead and answered my own question with some testing. Interesting results, I was surprised that more stamina didn't do a thing. I thought more stamina meant more stored charge, anyways here you go.

Test was done by aligning to the element of the pathway, fully charging and letting the pathway drain without any additional charging.

Exp gained = mind states from start to finish which included experience pulses.

TTL : Time to lock if there was infinite charge.

Slight rounding for easier viewing.

Summoning : 1210
Intell : 100
Wisdom : 100
Discipline : 100
Stamina : 100

conserve(fire) 10th circle
Time to drain : 956 16 minutes
Exp gained : 5
Per minute : .3
TTL: 113 minutes

power(earth) 16th circle
Time to drain 952 16 minutes
Exp gained : 6
Per minute : .38
TTL : 89 minutes

accuracy(electricity) 20th circle
Time to drain 476 7.9 minutes
Exp gained 5
Per minute : .63
TTL : 54 minutes

secrecy(water) 28th circle
Time to drain 473 7.8 minutes
Exp gained 5
Per minute : .64
TTL: 53 minutes

precise(air) 36th circle
Time to drain : 462 7.7 minutes
Exp gained : 7
Per minute : .9
TTL: 38 minutes

defend(earth) 44th circle
Time to drain : 304 5 minutes
Exp gained : 6
Per minute : 1.2
TTL : 28 minutes

Using AEG to buff stamina had no effect on time to drain.

313 summoning

Wisdom : 40
Stamina : 40
Discipline : 34
Intelligence : 47

Precise(air) 36th circle
Time to drain 364 6 minutes
Exp gained 17
Per minute : 2.8
TTL : 12 minutes

Defend(earth) 44th circle
Time to drain 246 4.1 minutes
Exp gained 13
Per minute : 3.17
TTL : 10.7 minutes

No changes with stamina buffed.

- Erixx
Re: Summon Experience 12/27/2014 01:38 PM CST
My experience is anecdotal but it always felt that harder pathways gave more xp. It could be a side effect of them draining charge faster though.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Summon Experience 12/30/2014 02:39 PM CST
I always use defend when I'm doing a summon admit cycle, I just assumed it used more (needed the most juice to initiate) and seemed to drain/pulse more often, and it seemed to teach more.

High levels it's a bit different, and I think we're stuck learning at a lower inefficent rate.
I know some people swear by Barrage being optimal for learning at certain levels, but for me it's always been an ineffecient learning method like domain summoning. A few people used to fill a charge then rapdily path start, path stop until drained, and that worked for them. I'm not sure about actual exp gained, but most people were going for the goal of Mindlocking it.

I don't think having a different elemental alignment affects exp gained, just how much summon juice it uses? Curious how much the numbers change with a different alignment.

Sometimes I turn off the pathway and right back on after a few minutes, sometimes it seems to help a little, so maybe there is a limit to how long you can run one without diminishing returns like a cyclic spell?

I think stamina just helps your ability to align an element and it's opposite, and domain summoning - I'm guessing you can summon a elemental domain that's your aligned opposite?