What does Summoning do? 03/14/2013 06:19 PM CDT
Does it reduce the amount of Elemental Charge used at each pulse? Does it increase your maximum Elemental Charge Pool? Does it increase the bonus given by the pathway you're using? All/None of the above?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/14/2013 07:11 PM CDT
I can't tell you but I will say it's possible it doesn't do anything right now, or not all it's meant to. Some of these new Guild specific abilities are tie ins for stuff they want to do in the future. Like Theurgy, it does have some specific uses right now like commune duration but they also plan to expand its uses a great deal in the future.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/14/2013 09:32 PM CDT
I think just pool size right now? I'd think it'd work like TM/util skills do for whatever potential it does later.

I don't know if a noob would summon admit to full faster than a void lord, but I think it's like mana where a full guage would be like the difference between having 20 or 200 mana available.

Before it was based on something? Stats? I don't know.

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 12:40 AM CDT

I do hope they flesh out summoning at some point because with all due respect to the war mage team, it feels right now like nothing more than something designed to slow down our circling.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 01:06 AM CDT
I don't know if it is now, but they talked about learning initally being boosted until we use it fully.
So what we do now could teach less, and later we'd be using our familiars or whatever to learn more.
Or it'll be how is, and later stuff would teach better.

I still haven't had an issue with it. I'm 10 circles ahead of what I need for my current circle in summoning. Gained 90 ranks since the conversion.

I still don't really pay attention to keeping it learning, but I do enjoy watching the numbers go up.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 01:08 AM CDT
Summoning skill also reduces RT needed for "summon admittance, etc."

It starts out at 20 and slowly goes down. 15 sec RT @ 220 summoning. Power, what is your RT?
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 02:40 AM CDT
oh I guess there's that too!

You make yourself comfortable and turn your attention inward.
You continue meditating, further increasing your proximity to the Elemental Plane of Fire.
Roundtime: 12 sec.

I think it took 8 charges, about 100 seconds to fill from empty

Summoning: 738

I want 1000 as a goal, I figure I need goals.

whop whop

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 03:37 AM CDT
>> Summoning: 738

Nice, that's some harsh diminishing returns though. Do we know if summoning actually increases our pool size?
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 05:30 AM CDT
>>Nice, that's some harsh diminishing returns though.

Many abilities are like this, relatively quick ramp-up to make them useful and then tapering results at high ranks. Linear growth's overrated.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 06:10 AM CDT
Power,

Are you sure it was 8 charges? Did that put you at the "You cant fill up any more because you'll hurt yourself" message?
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 07:03 AM CDT
Summoning does not directly affect the size of your pool, but it both reduces the RT on admittance (as you found out) and increases the amount of power each admittance "pulse" returns. When you put it both together, a high-Summoning WM can fill his pool considerably faster than a novice.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 07:36 AM CDT

You hit 12 seconds at 600 summoning, which makes me believe it's a 1 sec RT reduction for every 75 ranks.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 10:54 AM CDT
hey we learned something!

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 10:56 AM CDT
>>You hit 12 seconds at 600 summoning, which makes me believe it's a 1 sec RT reduction for every 75 ranks.

I have 370 and I get 14 sec RTs
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 11:11 AM CDT

>>I have 370 and I get 14 sec RTs

Ah, perhaps it's a scale then. I know I went from 13 sec to 12 sec at 600 ranks, and it's still 12 sec at I think just shy of 900 was the biggest person I could find in test.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 12:13 PM CDT

I bet that the bulk of the RT reduction comes in the 300-400 ranks and then three is a diminishing return from there.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 12:16 PM CDT

Need more data points!
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 12:27 PM CDT

Here's one. I hit 300 summoning a few nights ago and the RT went from 15 to 14 at exactly 300.

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 02:21 PM CDT
15 @ 200.

Hopefully someone is writing this down somewhere. :)
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 02:34 PM CDT

1-?? = 20 sec
??-?? = 19 sec
??-?? = 18 sec
??-?? = 17 sec
??-199 = 16 sec
200-299 = 15 sec
300-?? = 14 sec
??-599 = 13 sec
600+ = 12 sec
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 04:40 PM CDT
I know for a fact 500 was still 13..and I certain 480+ was 13 too.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 06:09 PM CDT
740 is 12.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 07:37 PM CDT
Summoning: 459

13 sec RT

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 08:46 PM CDT
I did some exploration of the summoning system and Charge. Here's a data dump if someone wants to upload to elanthipedia.

Everything below applies to a WM with 745 summoning.

Summon Admits to full Charge from empty: 8
Summon Impedances to empty Charge from full: 8
Spells to full Charge from empty: 45
Timer on gaining Charge from spells: 14 seconds

From the numbers above: Getting to full charge using Summon Admit took me 96 seconds. Getting to full charge using spells took me 630 seconds of perfect, continuous casting while hitting the timer period more or less on the nose. There seems to be a little bit of variation in how much charge casting a spell generates.

Here are all the charge level messages:

A small charge lingers within your body, just above the threshold of perception.
A small charge lingers within your body.
A charge dances through your body.
A charge dances just below the threshold of discomfort.
A charge circulates through your body, causing a low hum to vibrate through your bones.
Elemental essence floats freely within your body, leaving little untouched.
Elemental essence has infused every inch of your body. While you could contain more, you'd do so at the risk of your health.
Extraplanar power crackles within your body, leaving you feeling mildly feverish.
Extraplanar power crackles within your body, leaving you feeling acutely ill.
Your body sings and crackles with a barely contained charge, destroying what little cenesthesia you had left.
You have reached the limits of your body's capacity to store a charge. The laws of the Elemental Plane of Water scream demands upon your physiology, threatening your life.

Each message level seems to represent an equal range - they're 4-5 spells apart. You'll hit the last message when the pool is at 100%

I'm working on quantifying the starting and maintenance costs of each pathway. It's a big job and I could use some help. If you're interested please IM me at MazrianDamondred.
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 09:41 PM CDT
>There seems to be a little bit of variation in how much charge casting a spell generates

I think it was stated by a GM to be a static amount. I was asking about spell difficulty affecting charge regained, so they may have meant it's the same range regardless of spell difficulty.

>I'm working on quantifying the starting and maintenance costs of each pathway.

Do we know if anything else affects Elemental Charge pool size? Circle, stats, etc?

>It's a big job and I could use some help. If you're interested please IM me at MazrianDamondred.

If you have a method for testing, post it and I'll test it on Opieus and the couple lower level WMs I have.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/15/2013 10:26 PM CDT
>>If you have a method for testing, post it and I'll test it on Opieus and the couple lower level WMs I have.<<

The activation cost is pretty simple.

1) Run yourself down to 0 charge

2) Cast a spell to generate charge.

3) Try to activate a pathway.

4) Repeat 2-3 until the pathway goes up.

That will give you the activation cost in, for lack of a better term, # of spell-units. Repeat 30 times or so because there's a little variation, and do the whole thing while aligned to the element of the pathway, aligned to a neutral element, and opposing the element.

You can use the genie script below to automate the individual trials. It takes two arguments. The first is the spell you want to cast with, the second is the pathway you want to use.

#### Script ####

timer start
var Pathstart 0
var Pathend 0
var Pathdur 0

action var Pathstart %t when You focus on (?:extending|manipulating|creating)
action var Pathend %t when Unable to muster
var AdmitCount 0

start:
math AdmitCount add 1
gosub prep %1
pause 14
gosub cast
gosub path foc %2
if %Pathstart = 0 then goto start
echo Casts: %AdmitCount
waitfor Unable to muster any further energy
var Pathdur %Pathend
math Pathdur subtract %Pathstart
echo Casts: %AdmitCount , Duration: %Pathdur

goto end

prep:
match prep ...
match return You trace
send prep $0
matchwait

cast:
match cast ...
match return You gesture
match return You don't
match return You raise your
match return Tendrils of
match return The flames dancing
match return You close your
match return Roundtime
send cast $0
matchwait

harness:
if $1 = 0 then return
match harness ...
match return Roundtime
send harness $0
matchwait

summon:
match summon ...
match return Roundtime
send summon $0
matchwait

path:
match path ...
match return You turn your perceptions
match return You focus
match return You lack
send path $0
matchwait

return:
return

end:
Re: What does Summoning do? 03/16/2013 01:13 AM CDT
>Cast a spell to generate charge.

FYI, it appears Pathway Perceive Pathway uses less than casting an opposing spell... My testing is ongoing.

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/16/2013 02:00 AM CDT
Summoning: 363
Summon Admittance/Impedance to Full/Empty: 9/9
Summon Admittance/Impedance Roundtime: 14s
Aligned Spells to Full: 42
Opposed Spells to Empty: 40

Respec'ed and repeated the above tests:
Summon Admittance/Impedance to Full/Empty: 9/8
Summon Admittance/Impedance Roundtime: 14s
Aligned Spells to Full: 37
Opposed Spells to Empty: 40

Still Respec'ed I ran all the pathways from full until collapse (aligned to Earth, so quick and precise will cost double and power and defend will cost half):
Pathway Focus Damage: 316 seconds (5 minutes, 16 seconds)
Pathway Focus Quick: 147 seconds (2 minutes, 27 seconds)
Pathway Focus Ease: 197 seconds (3 minutes, 17 seconds)
Pathway Focus Power: 641 seconds (10 minutes, 41 seconds)
Pathway Focus Accuracy: 149 seconds (2 minutes, 29 seconds)
Pathway Focus Secrecy: 148 seconds (2 minutes, 49 seconds)
Pathway Focus Precise: 40 seconds
Pathway Focus Defend: 198 seconds (3 minutes, 18 seconds)
Pathway Focus Conserve: 197 seconds (3 minutes, 17 seconds)
Pathway Focus Barrage: 4 times
Pathway Perceive Pathway: 69 times

Retrained my stats to 41s and 40s:
Pathway Focus Damage: 328 seconds (5 minutes, 28 seconds)
Pathway Focus Quick: 151 seconds (2 minutes, 31 seconds)
Pathway Focus Ease: 213 seconds (3 minutes, 33 seconds)
Pathway Focus Power: 667 seconds (11 minutes, 7 seconds)
Pathway Focus Accuracy: 152 seconds (2 minutes, 32 seconds)
Pathway Focus Secrecy: 151 seconds (2 minutes, 31 seconds)
Pathway Focus Precise: 49 seconds
Pathway Focus Defend: 213 seconds (3 minutes, 33 seconds)
Pathway Focus Conserve: 213 seconds (3 minutes, 33 seconds)
Pathway Focus Barrage: 5 times
Pathway Perceive Pathway: 79 times

Bonus Info:
Experience seems to pulse every ~9 seconds.
When you run out of charge with a pathway up, you don't gain experience on this pulse.
Pathway Perceive Pathway always leaves me at the lowest state "You sense nothing out of the ordinary. Only magic could detect the useless trace of earth still in your system."

I will continue to do more testing another time. It's quite late, but I wanted to post the data I'd gathered so far. I don't have Genie, so the script posted doesn't help me much (I wrote my own in StormFront).

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/16/2013 12:11 PM CDT
>>Still Respec'ed I ran all the pathways from full until collapse (aligned to Earth, so quick and precise will cost double and power and defend will cost half):

enh no big deal, but might've been more accurate to realign to a neutral element before running each one to get a more accurate measure.

-Didn't realize precise ate up that much. Curious how well that works.

-I knew damage lasted awhile, I didn't realize power did too.
I've had better luck learning with conserve than damage even though it doesn't last as long(thinking it's better if it drains more). I know barrage works pretty good for some people.

>>You continue to discharge power, carving a favorable pathway into the aethereal landscape.
*Any consitency on when that pulses? I figured that was when it drained/taught. But sometiems It'll be 30 seconds between a pulse, other times I'll get a pulse 2-3 seconds after the last one.

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/16/2013 01:16 PM CDT

>>You continue to discharge power, carving a favorable pathway into the aethereal landscape.
>>*Any consitency on when that pulses? I figured that was when it drained/taught. But sometiems It'll be 30 seconds between a pulse, other times I'll get a pulse 2-3 seconds after the last one.

I wonder if it works using the same principle of caravans when they're following you. There are times you have to wait the full 10 seconds(ish) and then others where the caravan will pop immediately. I bet it operates under a timed pulse where if the conditions are right (whatever they might be in this case) once the timer goes off, it does its thing, or you need to wait for the pulse to come around again the next time.

Re: What does Summoning do? 03/16/2013 02:07 PM CDT
>more accurate to realign to a neutral element before running each one to get a more accurate measure

I thought about that... half way through the test. It was already getting late, so I didn't want to start over.

>Any consitency on when that pulses?

I didn't see any consistency on when that message showed up. Sometimes it took over a minute, sometimes it was less than ten seconds.

>I figured that was when it drained/taught

I got experience every ~9 seconds, regardless of whether this messaging appeared or not. Was using a favor orb to stay at clear.

Re: What does Summoning do? 04/06/2013 12:19 PM CDT
Current summoning skill = 1008 getting 10 second roundtimes on summon admit.

I think I was seeing 11 seconds at 900-1000
Re: What does Summoning do? 04/06/2013 04:20 PM CDT
I guess being able to help with these kinds of tests is another reason to get something other than stormfront...
Re: What does Summoning do? 04/10/2013 03:06 PM CDT
>> Need more data points!
>> 1-?? = 20 sec
>> ??-?? = 19 sec

Current Summoning skill: 37
RT: 19 (dropped from 20 at 35 ranks)
Admit/Imped to full/empty: 12
Stamina: 20
Re: What does Summoning do? 04/10/2013 03:36 PM CDT

1-34 = 20 sec
35-?? = 19 sec
??-?? = 18 sec
??-?? = 17 sec
??-199 = 16 sec
200-299 = 15 sec
300-?? = 14 sec
??-599 = 13 sec
600-799 = 12 sec
800-999 = 11 sec
1000+?? = 10 sec
Re: What does Summoning do? 04/10/2013 04:49 PM CDT
>> RT: 19 (dropped from 20 at 35 ranks)

Derpy moment. Double checked my logs. RT dropped to 19 seconds before 27 ranks, but I don't have a log before that point. I apologize.