Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/19/2009 08:09 PM CST
So, I received the quest to kill six cougars with gar zeng in six anlaen. Easy, I killed seven or eight just to be sure. Went back to Karazhil in Riverhaven, and she just says Karazhil says, "Opieus, you have already been given a task. You need to complete that before I give you any others." It's now been more than six anlaen, and she's still saying that. Any idea what I actually need to do, or how I can reset the quest?

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/19/2009 09:15 PM CST
are you asking about a task or a quest?

Tasks are different. It seems to me you are getting the "task" response. Guild Leaders and other NPC's in crossing and river haven give out coin tasks.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/20/2009 05:46 AM CST
She might mean cougars up north of Lang, in with wood trolls.

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/20/2009 06:26 AM CST
>>Tasks are different. It seems to me you are getting the "task" response. Guild Leaders and other NPC's in crossing and river haven give out coin tasks.

No the Conserve quest they ask you to kill a certain creature with a certain spell.

Rehlyn probably has it right, with that quest you have to go to the specific area that they tell you. Not just any of that type

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/21/2009 03:54 PM CST
You'll get a message when you've killed enough to, I forget what it is exactly... but something like you feel you've completed your quest. You have to use nothing but that spell to, can't use any sword blows.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/21/2009 05:42 PM CST
I believe it's "You feel a sense of completion." when you kill the last one(part of the death messaging), it's like doing a Kill TASK.
Wasn't sure if you had to use just that spell or if you had to just finish it with that spell. Good to know though.

Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/21/2009 05:53 PM CST
>"You feel a sense of completion."

It was definitely something similar to this, and it was the cougars just south of El'Bain's. The system must track the kills oddly, though. I killed at least ten when asked to kill six. Thanks for the information.

Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/24/2009 11:19 PM CST
>>It was definitely something similar to this, and it was the cougars just south of El'Bain's. The system must track the kills oddly, though. I killed at least ten when asked to kill six. Thanks for the information.

The system should only count a critter when it's killed with magic. At that point it looks a the critter name and the spell you used; if they both match the values of the quest you're on, they count toward your quest completion. As long as the critter has the same base name as the one you were told to kill, it should work. (The messaging is pretty specific about killing 'any' type of critter if there are more than one you can choose from.)

Did you receive a message that you accomplished your task? If you didn't, then it's most likely a problem with how the critter's name is being entered or stored in the quest data. I'll take a peek to see if that's a possibility. It's also possible that the spell data isn't being stored correctly either, but that's done automatically so the chance of critical failure is miniscule.

If you received a message of accomplishment, but the guildleader who gave you the quest isn't recognizing you as having completed the task, then there's a deeper issue. It sounds as if this might be the case; I've encountered problems with Karazhil before.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/24/2009 11:25 PM CST
I did eventually get the completion message. But I definitely killed more than six cougars. I only attacked them with the spell in question (gar zeng), so it should have counted them all. Thanks for looking into it.

Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/24/2009 11:31 PM CST
>But I definitely killed more than six cougars.

Heh, so I definitely killed more than six cougars. I looked up. While I was at it, I looked up the quest assignment just to be sure. I need to write these things down. It was eight cougars in six anlaen. Sorry about all the confusion.

Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/24/2009 11:34 PM CST
>>Heh, so I definitely killed more than six cougars. I looked up. While I was at it, I looked up the quest assignment just to be sure. I need to write these things down. It was eight cougars in six anlaen. Sorry about all the confusion.

No problem. I looked at the code and couldn't find anything wrong (I was pretty thorough about bug-squishing when I rewrote the quest mechs). Just to be sure, everything worked out okay for you?

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/24/2009 11:41 PM CST
>Just to be sure, everything worked out okay for you?

Yes, indeed. I killed eight cougars with Gar Zeng, got the completion message, and got the ability. I assume, I haven't used it yet, actually. But Karazhil told me she taught it to me. The entire problem was located in my memory. Or lack there of. Thanks again.

Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/25/2009 12:05 AM CST
>>Yes, indeed. I killed eight cougars with Gar Zeng, got the completion message, and got the ability. I assume, I haven't used it yet, actually. But Karazhil told me she taught it to me. The entire problem was located in my memory. Or lack there of. Thanks again.

No problem. I just get twitchy when something potentially goes wrong, especially when it sounds similar to bugs I've fixed in the past. :)

Also, you can check the pathways you've learned with PATH LIST. Just in case you were paranoid about whether you've learned it or not.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/25/2009 07:34 AM CST
Wythor, is there a reason it can't be any type of that creature? Why if it's cougars we can't go by ogres but have to go up to lang or visa versa

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/25/2009 11:05 PM CST
>>Wythor, is there a reason it can't be any type of that creature? Why if it's cougars we can't go by ogres but have to go up to lang or visa versa

It can be. A cougar is a cougar, as far as the system is concerned. Area has nothing to do with it.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathway Focus Conserve Quest 02/26/2009 08:27 AM CST
>>It can be. A cougar is a cougar, as far as the system is concerned. Area has nothing to do with it.

I swear that I had a different experience but i could have been just doing something wrong. Thanks

-Armifer