Prev_page Previous 1
Aethereal Pathways 12/14/2004 05:47 PM CST
What are they exactly and how are they used? Just got one today and I don't know anything about it.
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/16/2004 09:20 PM CST
lucky for you i burned some notes onto a CD when I left town. give me a second
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/16/2004 09:28 PM CST
<<lucky for you i burned some notes onto a CD when I left town.>>

Now thats dedication to a game.

Rigek

"Heh I never really liked him anyway...he wasn't right in the head..."
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/16/2004 09:30 PM CST
>What are they exactly

They're WM abilities intended to increase WMs in their mastery of TM.

>and how are they used?

They are fueled by manipulative resolve, like spells use mana, and dances use inner fire. However, if you keep a pathway going continusously, you will likely soon run out of Manipulative resolve. When they came out I was around 70th? circle and got around 5? minutes of continuous use.

However, they don't take any time to start going. So basically, start one right before you cast, cast, then stop it.

They're not as strong as Thief khri or barb dances. When they came out I tested a few of them. I had around 350 TM at the time. Using AP Power against a barb, I was able to hit him with my attack stance 10% lower while using the pathway. About 35 ranks. Not bad. Not great. Especially considering how specific they are. And that while useful while training/scripting (where you can have your script start it and end it right before/after you cast a spell) they're not that useful in PvP (because you can't run them continuously, and often the window to act on a hiding target is quick so the extra command slows you down too much). Yes, I understand there are some situations where they can be useful in PvP.

The said, I copy/pasted my atherpathway.txt notes below. Hope it helps.

Player of Tessaa

Now on to the first ability. The first of these abilities which we're looking at is called 'Pathway Focus Damage'. This one is fairly straightforward. It provides a damage boost to TM spells if they hit the target. The reasoning behind Pathway Focus Damage (PF Damage) being the first ability of AP is that we'd like to help the younger folk in learning TM. A boost to TM damage should help add some experience to the TM pool and hopefully make it a bit easier to learn the skill. The best part is wreaking more havoc upon your enemies by adding some extra oompf to you spells.

Your friendly neighborhood GM,
Chakram

Today we highlight the second of the Aethereal Pathway abilities! Pathway Focus Quick! This handy little ability lets the mage speed up the targetting process, letting a mage reach the state of fully targetted in less time than it would normally take. It should arrive somewhere around 8th circle where it will greatly aid mages of that age (where targeting time is longest). At any age, a mage can utilize reduced targeting time so is also something useful throughout a mage's career.

Chakram

The third in our series of Aethereal Pathway abilities is Pathway Focus Complexity[Tessaa Teh Editor note: Renamed Ease]! PF Complexity[Ease] is gained at 12th circle and decreases the difficulty of casting TM spells so that the mage is able to put more mana than they are usually able to harness into the spell matrix. This nifty ability is the third as it will let the younger mages put a bit more power behind their spells than they normally would, and at this point in their career a mage should be able to sense more mana than when they begin, increasing the usefulness of this ability. Thus younger mages get more use out of it than they would at lower circles and are able to make use of it while they are still young. It will also help the older mages to get those more difficult spells off more easily.

Chakram

Well in general it's for Targetted Magic spells, and two I don't believe it will completely eliminate leaking or backfiring. Basically it will let you put a bit more mana into your spell than you usually do. If you go over how much you can handle with the ability up you will most likely leak or backfire still.

Chakram

I suggest 'Ease' for the name for this one.
Kalyn [Editor's Note: Accountholder: Zurai...GMs took person's suggest dead on...always fun to see]

No, caps will still be intact where they were.
It will most likely be duration based.
Chakram

Next in our series of Aethereal Pathway abilities is Pathway Focus Power! PF Power allows one to overcome the Magical Resistance of an opponent with a bit more ease than one normally would. It helps give a bit of an offensive boost to the Targetted spell as well. This comes at about 16th circle. It will help younger and older mages alike to better cast their targetted spells on those targets which give resistance problems.

Chakram

Hey there folks, sorry I missed posting the next in the series last night. I'm going to make the missed one up and we'll be learning about the next two abilities instead.

The fifth in the series of abilities comes at 20th circle, called Pathway Focus Accuracy. PF Accuracy, as the name implies, increases the accuracy of your spells as if you had more skill in Targetted Magic than you really have. This, in effect, increases the power of the spell and the likeliness that you'll actually hit something (nifty, huh?). This comes fifth as it basically incorporates some of the earlier PF abilities (though not as powerful as say Damage alone) and lets a mage grow into it as he or she gains skill.

Chakram

The sixth ability is called Pathway Focus Secrecy. PF Secrecy will increase a mage's ability to remain concealed while they target a spell (yay for stealth!). It will happen some time after PF Accuracy. This comes sixth as hopefully a mage by this time will be a bit more skilled in the arts of hiding (let's face it, it's not the easiest thing to train for us), thus allowing mages to be able to use this.

Chakram

Tonight we're featuring the last two abilities in the first series of abilities belonging to the Pathway Focus group.

Next up! Our seventh ability in the Aethereal Pathway series is called Pathway Focus Precise! PF Precise allows a mage to reduce the penalty that is normally associated with finely targetting a creature, such as targetting an arm or a leg specifically. This ability is seventh, coming some time after PF Secrecy, and hopefully at this point a mage will be able to make use of precision targetting and thus making this ability useful to some of the older mages.

Chakram

The eighth ability, is called Pathway Focus Defend. PF Defend, happening after PF Precise, allows a mage to manipulate aether, making it harder for targetted spells to hit them. This nifty ability comes eighth as by now the mage is pretty experienced. This ability allows these more experienced mages to defend themselves from incoming targetted magic attacks.

Chakram
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/16/2004 09:31 PM CST
>Now thats dedication to a game.

I haven't logged in in at least a week. Likely more.

boards are fun here and there
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/30/2004 08:36 AM CST
Dumb question.

How does one get these abilities?

Aparently I could get them, by Tessaa's notes.
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/30/2004 09:02 AM CST
ask guildleader about quest, that will get ya goin. Any of our fine guildleaders would be able to help ya too.

Rehlyn

The strongbox just bounced out of the room near a low tunnel!
A giant skeletal claw rises rapidly from the mire, lurching outward to grasp at you! You dodge lithely aside!
Re: Aethereal Pathways 12/30/2004 09:17 AM CST
Marvelous. Thanks Rehyln!

~Fyriestorme
New Aethereal Pathways 08/02/2007 10:59 PM CDT
With the recent attention everyone is paying to targeted magic, I took a long look at the supposed 'mastery' Warrior Mages have of the skill. The primary representation of that mastery is the Aethereal Pathways which, to be honest, have been extremely underdeveloped. It's been many years since the original pathway focus abilities were unveiled as only the first group of potential pathways, and we still haven't seen the final two. The potential for pathways to be the guild-defining ability is has not been fulfilled. I would like to remedy that.

I currently have a list of ten new pathways to propose, divided into three groups based on how they function. These new pathways are separate in function and form from the pathway focus abilities and cover a number of different applications concerning targeted magic.

Not all of these new abilities will require quests to complete (at least nothing as complex as the focus pathways), but there will be other requirements or conditions. What I will be trying to avoid is an extensive wait period between the creation of new pathways and their release.

What I would like are some suggestions on what you think Aethereal Pathways can (or should) do. There are some rules to follow:

1. It must make sense given the existing pathways.
2. It must have something to do with TM.
3. Actually, that's all the guidelines I have.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/02/2007 11:19 PM CDT
I had thought I might wait to see what others would suggest before saying anything, but a thought came to me and I might as well get things started instead.

I personally would like to see something along the lines of:

Pathway Breach
Causing the release of mana into targeted magic spells to be more synchronized and accelerated, allowing for targeted magic spells cast under the pathways effect to have a higher chance of not deflecting off Shields (or perhaps even armor)

Shields are one of the big things that stop TM spells for me (ogres and swampies to name some) and there is not much I can do about it, except tingle and reduce their longevity, or use lightning bolt until it's changed from only contesting evasion.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/02/2007 11:35 PM CDT
Pathway Snipe(yeah right.): stay hidden while casting
Pathway Smash: Extra damage to equipment
Pathway unsmash: doesn't damage the targets equipment
Pathway ignore: ignores the targets armor
Pathway keep your target: Keep your targeting matrix after casting letting you fire off more full target spells quickly
Pathway cheap: All your spells become cheaper
Pathway recover: recover your attunment faster
Pathway corpse: allows you to cast at and damage corpses
Pathway zombie: allows you to cast when dead
Pathway a lot of power: better at getting past magic resistance than pathway power
Pathway special power: ignores barrier spells
Pathway double: lets you use two(other) pathways at once
Pathway really cool: Makes us learn defenses as if they were prime skills.... to help defend against TM
Pathway oops: allows you to uncast a spell
Pathway sexy: dunno what this one does, but it sounds awesome.
Pathway elite: helps you do a righteous hack

Some of them aren't great, but they're just ideas.

-Tropicalo
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/02/2007 11:45 PM CDT
pathway dance stop: if target is hit they instantly stop all dances/berserks
pathway trueshot: your arrow/bolt follow a target matrix based on TM
pathway BOSS MR: Lets TM spells do damage to GMPCs

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/02/2007 11:55 PM CDT
<<Pathway double: lets you use two(other) pathways at once

While your post was largely in jest, I was actually gonna suggest that one.

Pathway blindside: attempts to direct the spell effect to the targets less defended rear. :)
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/02/2007 11:58 PM CDT
>Pathway Recover: Helps you recover your attunement faster.

I like the sound of that.

Maybe we could have different tiered pathways, seperate by the amount of Manipulative Resolve it takes to control. Then possibly we could have multiple pathways set up. Just an idea, be somewhat like how thieves can have more than one khri ability active.

Also how about a pathway related to each element, boosting targeted damage dealed ffrom that element by a great deal?

How about a Pathway to help us cast against the dead, especially the non-corpeal types?

"There comes a time in your life, when you must choose between what is easy and what right."

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 12:13 AM CDT
1. Pathway detection (AOE spells): Selectively strikes and has increased damage against hidden targets.

2. Pathway misdirection: Substitutes parry for shield

3. Pathway disable: Adds a chance to stun to every successful hit with a TM attack.

I don't know if he was joking, but I'll echo the earlier poster's ideas of:

<<Pathway Smash: Extra damage to equipment
<<Pathway a lot of power: better at getting past magic resistance than pathway power (especially BMR)
<<Pathway double: lets you use two(other) pathways at once

I'd echo the pathway snipe idea, but I imagine it would be too good to be true.

-Sephos
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 01:33 AM CDT
Pathway Leach: Anyone not in your group preparing a lethal spell has mana slowly leached out of it, and can leach enough that the spell is below the min prep then thusly can not be cast.

Pathway Web: When used on the room it engulfs the area with dozens to hundreds of lines of aether, and just like a spider casting its web you can snag a target that crosses one of the lines. Once the line is affixed you have a fully targeted matrix and will just need to preare a spell and cast. When active you can not target as normal, but its easy and quick to break the pathway. Even the hidden can cross the lines.

When used on a creature/person it will direct all harmfull spells back towards the creature/person.

Pathway Conditional: This one can change the spell based on whats in your environment. If your in a lava field your fire and earth spells might just grab some lava. If you have rising mist up, and cast frost scythe it might shift the targeting matrix to the mist and make it explode outward from you in a spray of hundreds of frost scythes... etc.

Pathway Concentration: This one will allocate a bit of the mana from your spell to force it straight into the targets brain and tank its concentration for a while.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 01:47 AM CDT
>Pathway Conditional: This one can change the spell based on whats in your environment. If your in a lava field your fire and earth spells might just grab some lava. If you have rising mist up, and cast frost scythe it might shift the targeting matrix to the mist and make it explode outward from you in a spray of hundreds of frost scythes... etc.

Though it's a nice suggestion but it's just wishful thinking. Something like that would probably be hard to code since each individual room would probably have to be 'tagged' with some sort of elemental structure of some sort. Then again, I don't know a thing about coding.

"There comes a time in your life, when you must choose between what is easy and what right."

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 02:00 AM CDT
So far I've seen a lot of ideas, most of them rather silly and decidedly un-serious. However, even with all the chaff I've obtained kernels for six new Pathway Focus abilities.

Just so you know, most of you haven't even begun exploring abilities that would fall outside of the 'pathway focus' realm. You may want to expand your vision of what you can do with targeted spells and target matrices. :)

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 02:02 AM CDT
To the best of my knowledge a lot of rooms already have some sort of tag.. just look at how MAB forms out of whatever the surface is your standing on. (Notice I didn't say ground) Sometimes it will message it forms from the bedrock, mud, dirt... etc. (Though it doesn't work all that well sometimes) Some earth spells are supposed to work easier underground. Yeah it might take some more tagging, but then again we don't have to have it to work everywhere to. I dunnoe maybe it can work and maybe it can't.

I like wishfull thinking, I asked for a planet not the bloody stars. :P

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 02:26 AM CDT
I've always wanted to see something a little bit like splitting up the targeting matrices amongst your foes, a primary targeting matrice and a secondary matrice. Possibly the 'primary' matrice could be weakened slightly when you break it off into another matrice, but not so weak that you wouldn't be able to do conciderable damage.

Or perhaps we could have something a bit like the above though the two matrices would be targeted on the same opponent, both targeting different areas of the body.

This probably exceeds the whole 'Pathway Focus' ability, just throwing my thoughts out here.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 02:40 AM CDT
Also... there's always that idea where we could prepare two different spells at the same instance. Though I'm probably thinking that's out of the question right? Hehe.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:14 AM CDT
>Just so you know, most of you haven't even begun exploring abilities that would fall outside of the 'pathway focus' realm. You may want to expand your vision of what you can do with targeted spells and target matrices. :)

For our benefit, could you provide an example of something far outside the "focus" realm?

-Durnil
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:14 AM CDT
How about something that lets us know more about the potential target, like what spell books work better on them if we have a chance in the void of hitting them. Perhaps it would grant a small bonus if you observed very well, and could tell us if they have any barriers up, if we have a chance of breaking the barriers.

Pathway Explode: This would cause the aether lines of anyone not in your group to explode if they try to use them to target you/group with them. Maybe the WM using it could explode them at will as well.

Pathway Concentrate:(You said think out of the focus box, not sure if this is too far. Maybe a spell or enchanting if it is too far.)
This would concentrate aether lines on an object of your choosing, armor, weapon, inanimate object. Say you have a block of wood you put affix the concentration on, this could transfer your pattern to it so that targeted spells would hit it instead of you, as magically it would be you.

If you have it on a edged weapon you'd be able cut aether lines, and potentially attach your own aether line to a target when you hit them with your weapon.

If you have a blunted weapon you'd be able to smash an aether line, either destroying it, breaking it away from its intended target to send the spell into the air, smash the end so that the spell has no where to go and blows up. Blunted weapons would as well be able to attach an aether line to the target if you hit them with it.

Stabby and ranged ammo could attach aether line to the insides of a target, and anchor the line pretty well.

If you have it on armor it would increase the elemental protection as a byproduct and would help deflect spells(Kinda like ours get deflected miracously.)

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:17 AM CDT

This is just a plethora of possible pathway targeting expansions.

I'd like to propose a couple of pathways that employ a 'effect' to the targeted spell but with the same additional damage that would normally occur from the spell.

Pathway Stun - No matter how much damage is inflicted, if collison occurs with the targeted spell and the foe, stunning effect will take place, not a long stun but something to 'halt' them from what they were previously doing.

Pathway Impact - A pathway that would cause the opponent to be knocked out of the room by the targeted spell, like they do with such spells... MAB (more like launched) and Shockwave. This pathway is more aimed towards helping with crowd control or removing a annoying person from your sight. You might think that if you had this then why would you get 'Shockwave'? It's more like an individual blast, so Shockwave would still be something viewed as usueful since it's an AoE effect.

Pathway Shock - An added effect that, when collison occurs from the targeted spell the foe would forget any spells they were preparing or holding mana with. (This one isn't concidered a offensive choice but more of a offensive-defensive selection.)

Pathway Strip - An added effect that would strip any magical defenses or barriers around the opponent if the targeted spell indeed makes contact.

All Stat vs. Stat contests would apply to the above.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:18 AM CDT
>How about something that lets us know more about the potential target, like what spell books work better on them if we have a chance in the void of hitting them. Perhaps it would grant a small bonus if you observed very well, and could tell us if they have any barriers up, if we have a chance of breaking the barriers.

Sorry but wouldn't that potentially fall under the category of Power Perception abilities?

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:20 AM CDT
>Pathway Concentrate:(You said think out of the focus box, not sure if this is too far. Maybe a spell or enchanting if it is too far.)
This would concentrate aether lines on an object of your choosing, armor, weapon, inanimate object. Say you have a block of wood you put affix the concentration on, this could transfer your pattern to it so that targeted spells would hit it instead of you, as magically it would be you.

This one seems to me, something that Aether Cloak already does.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:25 AM CDT
I dunnoe, I guess it could fit there to... but I'm hopefull we can think of some sort of rational to fit in the pathway instead. I mean we are just learning targeting information.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:42 AM CDT
Pathway Direct: This pathway would allow you to change the way certain spells work, directing the attacks made by spell effects like ball lightning by pointing at a target, for example.

Pathway Compress: Takes the massive energy of an area effect spell and turns it on a single target for devastating effect.

Pathway Theft: Attempts to redirect the targeting matrix of another spellcaster to a different target, maybe even the caster himself, "stealing" the spell.

Pathway Absorb: Attempts to absorb the energies of incoming targeted spells, replenishing your harness.

Actually, I should read up a little bit on the theory behind pathways. It may help, hehe.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 03:53 AM CDT
>Pathway Theft: Attempts to redirect the targeting matrix of another spellcaster to a different target, maybe even the caster himself, "stealing" the spell.

I was thinking that sounded much like that 'intercept' concept they were throwing around on the boards a couple days ago. Also reminds me of the Moon Mage spell, Shear.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 04:00 AM CDT
What about a Pathway that worked kind of like Moonblades or that cleric spell, but for TM instead of non-combat spells? Precast a few big spells in good mana rooms, and run around with them ready to throw at your whim.

Or Pathway missile-shield uses TM to shoot down any projectile comming your way.

-Tropicalo
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 04:01 AM CDT
Or a pathway that worked like the opposite of the paladin's protect. You can use your TM to help friends attack.

-Tropicalo
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 04:04 AM CDT
>Or perhaps we could have something a bit like the above though the two matrices would be targeted on the same opponent, both targeting different areas of the body.

Commenting on myself here, to make things a bit clear.

In the multiple opponent matrices I was talking about on the above post, I was indeed implying about targeting two different things at once. But specifically on the line I highlighted above, I'm focusing on the same target with two differnt targeting matrices to be employed in a 'Barrage' like fashion. Multiple shot fireballs, lightning bolts, aether lashes. Something that would only work with the more advanced single-opponent targeted spells.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 05:11 AM CDT
Some of these may be repeats, maybe with a bit of a different angle. Some of them may be a bit of a stretch from theory point of view, but hopefully if they're good they can be reworked a bit. Just what I can think of off the top of my head:

Pathway Localize
This pathway utilizes targeted matrices on all AoE spells (even those that are not directly TM spells). It localizes the effects, and potentially as a result, weakens them (balance issue, compressing a TC into one target at even greater power is increasing its ability twice, while this method is a more balanced approach). This would even allow spells such as zephyr and rising mists to be cast on the mage only, although in cases where the spell may not fully align with the guild's primary focus (ie rising mists) the reduction of effectiveness may be higher (but would still help and not help others around the mage).

Pathway Deflect
We've heard this one before called intercept. I think I like the idea of a magical parry better so I'm calling it deflect. Basically it utilizes the knowledge we gain from barrage to align our weapons with the aether streams in combination with the knowledge we gain from pathway defend to deflect TM spells away from ourselves. The result is all incoming weapon attacks are required to somehow go up against the mage's TM (even if the TM is only a method of bonusing evasion or some such). I like the idea of it taking a significant chunk of manipulative resolve (like barrage) for the ability to store up the effect (to affect a few of the next attacks against the mage, possibly decaying if the mage isn't attacked in a long time).

Pathway Aetherealize
With a realization that everything physical is made of the elements and that appropriately imbued can be forced to follow a targeted matrix as opposed to normal physics, a mage using this pathway adds additional resistances to any that would attack him. Forcing arrows to be pulled to the ground before they leave the bow, or swords to be attracted backwards away from the mage and weakening or stopping their forward momentum. In functionality, this pathway would force the target to use their TM skill to offset their weapons. Enough TM skill and they are uneffected. Insufficient TM skill and a portion (think of this portion as a certain percentage of skill removed from the attack, in a vaguely similar way that BMR affects our spells although obviously there are some significant differences) of the attacker's weapon skills are replaced with their TM skill. [Example: Attacker has 200 longbow skill and 0 TM. Defender has 400 TM. Attacker is forced down to: AttackerWeaponSkill - DefenderTMSkill * 20% of their weapon skill plus 20% of attacker's TM skill for a total of 120 longbow attack. If the attacker had 100 TM, they'd be attacking with an effective 140 longbow, and with 200 TM they'd get 160. If they match the mage's TM skill they get all 200 effective ranks.]

Pathway Recover
This pathway allows the mage to make use of the entropic nature of the elements after one of their spells blows their target to bits. In doing so, the act is less taxing and refunds the mage with a portion of the attunement used to cast such a spell. The more destructive the spell, the higher percentage of attunement returned.

Pathway Store
Similar to the clerical and moon mage abilities to store a spell, this pathway only is capable of storing 1. However this spell is capable of being any spell the mage can cast (including a TM spell). The catch is that the mage is incapable of targeting while this pathway is in effect, since they are focusing on using their targeted matrix as a reinforcement of their spell pattern instead of aiming their spells.

Pathway Tempest
This spell is a more advanced form of pathway store, in that its signficantly more powerful. However, this spell only works with TM spells and does not follow the mage from room to room. Additionally, all targets must be in the room for this pathway to allow additions to it (since pathway store doesn't allow spells to be targeted beyond a snap cast, it wouldn't have this limitation). What the pathway actually does is create a centralized 'looping' TM matrix in the room. Any TM spells cast (potentially even those cast by others, although perhaps that would be a higher form of this pathway) in the room are absorbed into the matrix and perpetually revolve around it until unleashed. Once unleashed, all TM spells act at once, speeding toward a single target imposing additional multi opponent penalties as a hand full of spells strike at once (the trade off is that the mage could have just cast the spells one by one and taken the same amount of time, but instead chose to forego the damage up front and any potential combat advantages from this damage for the advantage of imposing a multi opponent penalty in addition to causing spells to strike back to back potentially capitalizing on any stuns or other status effects immediately).

Pathway Longshot
Alright, like I said they may not all be possible, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. This pathway allows targeting of people/creatures in adjacent rooms. I'm not sure if our position as ranged magical attack masters and supposedly the most attack-focused guild in the game would be enough to justify something like this though.

Pathway Strength
This pathway taps the aether streams that necessarily flow through any part of the plane of abiding containing matter. As such, manipulative resolve is replaced for mana attunement in the ability to cast spells. I wouldn't expect this to give the ability to cast more than a couple spells, but in conjunction with the minimum mana limit recently created, it may allow 3 or 4 spells to be cast in an area supposedly absent of mana as opposed to the 1 or 2 allowed by the mana changes.

I know I've had more in the past that I never got around to posting, but I can't think of them right at the moment. Also, with the potential addition of so many pathways, I would like some way to put multiples up at once. I could see it becoming exponentially more taxing to get the next one up though (I like the way the khri system will work, but our manipulative resolve based pathways could instead be more difficult to get past putting 2 or 3 up instead of the 7 or so I believe that system is intended to allow?).

-Gandoloth
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 05:38 AM CDT
Pathway Sever: Severs all pathways currently on the mage, removing the ability to target from those affected by the severing for some duration. (Instant)

Pathway Backlash: Sends a burst of raw mana back through any pathways currently focused on the mage, stunning and damaging the nerves of those targetting her. (Instant)

Pathway Redirect <Target>: Attempts to redirect all targeting matrices formed in the area on the target. (Duration)

Pathway Reflect: Attempts to turn the targeted matrices back on their caster. (Duration)

Pathway Anchor <Target>: Anchors a pathway on the target which stays in place until it is killed or the anchor is released; any snap casted targeted spells will function as though fully targeted on it. (Duration)

Pathway Guidance <Weapon>: Anchors one end of a pathway at the end of the indicated weapon, used in conjunction with Pathway Anchor to augment the mage's weapon skills with her targeting ability. (Duration)

Pathway Aid <Target>: Allows a skilled mage to aid a lesser skilled person by aiding them in forming and shaping their targetted matrices. (Duration)

Pathway Stasis: Holds a targetted spell in stasis over the mage which is unleashed when the mage is stunned or killed. (Duration)

It would be nice to have some of the abilities durational, but only drain manipulative resolve when they are used. This would allow a mage to have something like Pathway Reflect up indefinitely when she is not being targetted since she wouldn't really using her manipulative resolve to do anything at that time, but resolve would of course be drained when the ability is actually being used to redirect the targeting matrices.

-Auri
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 05:50 AM CDT
Pathway Double: Splits a spell pattern in two, and sends both parts along the same targeted matrix. So if one were to cast an 80 mana lightning bolt with pathway double, it would split into two 40 mana lightning bolts, both targeted and cast instantaneously. Of course you'd have to be careful about casting too low and having the spell fizzle because it's below the bottom mana cap.

-Auri
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 07:44 AM CDT
>>Pathway keep your target: Keep your targeting matrix after casting letting you fire off more full target spells quickly

This

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 08:17 AM CDT
Pathway Desperation
When Pathway Desperation is brought up, it cannot be stopped until the initial target is dead or the mage is out of Manipulative Resolve. Upon using Desperation, a target lock will focus on the first opponent the mage targets. Targetted spells prepared will automatically begin to target and fully target much more quickly the initial opponent. As Manipulative Resolve lessens, the power of the targetted spell is increased. In addition to Manipulative Resolve, concentration is sapped out the casting mage in increasing amounts.

Pathway Decoy
Targetted spells cast at the mage holding up Pathway Decoy are moved to an inanimate target on the ground.

Pathway Augmentation
Targetted spells cast by the mage holding Augmentation are bonused %5 of everyone's TM skill in mage's group. Targetted spells cast by other mages in the mage's group are bonused 10% of the person holding Augmentation.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 08:43 AM CDT
>>For our benefit, could you provide an example of something far outside the "focus" realm?

Pathway focus abilities are geared toward enhancing your own targeting matrices, and are duration-based. (Defense is the only exception to this as it affects others' targeting matrices, but I'm willing to leave it in the focus group for the sake of simplicity.)

I'm already seeing a lot of ideas that I have jotted down, plus some additional ones that are pretty good as well. At the moment, the three new pathway groupings I have in mind would be tentatively titled 'perceive', 'matrix', and 'influence'.

Perceive pathways would allow the mage to identify targeting matrices, targeted spells, or aethereal pathways active in the area.

Matrix pathways would deal with the direct manipulation of targeting matrices other than the mage's. I see these pathways as tactical strikes against single casters that will emphasize the guild's mastery of target patterns.

Influence pathways would concern manipulating other mages' Aethereal Pathways, either to their benefit or detriment.

The additional focus pathways I have been inspired with would help the mage customize targeted spells based on the type of enemy being targeted.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 08:47 AM CDT
While talking about pathways any ETA on 7 & 8?

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 08/03/2007 08:48 AM CDT
*Pathway Shadow
A proxy "shadow" is placed in the room, targetting spells at the shadow will hit anything in hiding, although the spell will lose its maximum potency. If multiple hiders are in the room, the damage is split up among them.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Prev_page Previous 1