Summon Weapon infusions 10/14/2016 10:33 AM CDT
Is there any chance of being able to further increase or decrease weight on a weapon? A feat would be great, but I'll take another spell slot or specific technique.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/14/2016 01:44 PM CDT
Let me think about it, and discuss with some other GMs. My gut reaction is probably not, because it already replaces so much of Forging. Would you be willing to pick up a Weaponsmithing tech for it? I could maybe justify giving more variability if you already have knowledge of some appropriate technique, and it doesn't replace as much of Forging if you have to interact with the system to get the techs.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/14/2016 03:41 PM CDT
Needing at least the Weapon Honing technique seems very appropriate.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/14/2016 06:33 PM CDT
Weaponcraft Metallurgy, Weaponcraft Theory, Weaponcraft Acumen, Metal Weapon Tempering, Weapon Balancing, and Weapon Honing are all prime candidates for adding additional summon weapon abilities.

I'd love some real flexibility for diving deep and getting Acumen. tweaking balance and suitability, shifting around damage or FoI, tweaking weight and density.

Thanks for considering it!

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/15/2016 04:21 PM CDT
I currently don't do anything with forging, but I'd be far more interested in using it if the techniques also paid dividends in my summoning.

Anabasis
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/15/2016 05:43 PM CDT
>>I currently don't do anything with forging, but I'd be far more interested in using it if the techniques also paid dividends in my summoning.

If you're saying you'd like to see forging techs influence summoned weapon quality, this is already the case.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/16/2016 05:53 PM CDT
>If you're saying you'd like to see forging techs influence summoned weapon quality, this is already the case.

That is not what I'm saying.

I left DR for years. Since I've been back, I have welcomed all the new things that I have found on my return with open arms. I very much enjoy the changes, which make it feel more like the game I fell in love with so long ago. The exception to this is the crafting system. I'm glad to see that something is in place, even if we don't have enchanting yet, and that it is something that essentially anyone can access and excel in. However, despite (literally) grinding out some ranks in alchemy, I have found nothing in the crafting system that makes me say, "That's awesome! I need to do that."

Yes, forging techniques influences weapons summoning. Again, not enough to drive me to spend my limited time with DR throwing myself into the system.

I don't know for sure if my opinion is a critique of summoning not being something amazing or the crafting system not engaging my interests. It is just my own view on the subject.

Anabasis
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/16/2016 06:20 PM CDT

> "That's awesome! I need to do that."

I think crafting is something that won't appeal to everyone. I have one character that I want to be the god of crafting (albeit at a glacial pace). I want them to be the best at it for no other reason than being able to do it.

I couldn't care less about it on my other characters, save a few very specific exceptions:

- Arrange all (usually in engineering).
- Repair techs (leather, armor, weapons, and tools).
- Weapon techs (Warrior Mage, definitely, and moon mage, maybe).
- Leather, basic weapon crafting (necro, because I want it to be more or less self-sufficient - not a good gameplay choice, but an RP one).
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/16/2016 06:36 PM CDT
>>Yes, forging techniques influences weapons summoning. Again, not enough to drive me to spend my limited time with DR throwing myself into the system.

Nothing wrong with different views, but being able to summon any T5 weapon you want is pretty neat.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/16/2016 06:53 PM CDT
>>I don't know for sure if my opinion is a critique of summoning not being something amazing or the crafting system not engaging my interests. It is just my own view on the subject.

Summoning has two nice features, weapons and familiars. Pathways need broadening (like into other skills, or being elemental based, since TM isn't our wheelhouse anymore). Barrage is very lackluster, but there's a nice thread of suggestions (splash damage ftw) a few pages back.

The decision of being able to fine tune summoned weapons requiring weaponsmithing techniques was done as a preventative measure of eliminating the need to craft/buy said weapons for (I think) the largest guild in the game, and it gave the system something more dynamic than X ranks = Y quality. Do I think they nailed it? No, but it's pretty close to where it needs to be. Personally I'd like techniques to allow earlier access, but higher weapon and summoning ranks to also be usable. (i.e. T3@200 T4@500 T5@1000) There are more important fish to fry than broadening summon weapon access though, in my opinion.

Crafting is, like many systems in Dragonrealms, quite repetitive. It's a more transparent system, so some players enjoy diving deep into the mechanics of input -> output, plus the access to rare stuff. Alchemy isn't done yet, and remedies are very useful, but very boring in terms of crafting. (Do you have the skill? Here ya go). I think once cooking and poisons are released, Alchemy will round out a bit.

I do know that with the technique and rare ingot, a 6 density tier 5 fiery scimitar and Mark of Arhat will do the same damage as a tyrium cutlass (which the mundane version outclasses). It's not always the case, but it's still nice to know that with the right setup, we can wreck face like a barbarian, but with outer fire.

And.. there's this.

The branded lines of fire on a kra'hei hatchling flare a brilliant blue-white!
< You slice a fiery scimitar at a kra'hei hatchling. A kra'hei hatchling fails to evade.
The scimitar lands a heavy strike that combusts the throat and larynx causing smoke to issue from the hatchling's mouth.
A kra'hei hatchling's tail thrashes as it venomously hisses out its last breath.
The fiery marks branding a kra'hei hatchling slowly fade away.
[You're nimbly balanced]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

Re: Summon Weapon infusions 10/16/2016 08:03 PM CDT
>I think crafting is something that won't appeal to everyone.

This is very true. In the long run, I believe the crafting system is a great plus for the game. More and more crafting ideas can be added to the framework and it will appeal to more people. It's just that right now, it isn't that sparkly for me.

>Repair techs

That also tempted me to consider forging, but let's be honest - repair costs are trivial in DR and plats are easy to earn. I play my PC as a very self-sufficient sort, but spending dozens or hundreds of hours at a skill to avoid paying a few silver is not going to draw me in.

>being able to summon any T5 weapon you want is pretty neat.

Oh, I don't deny it. All you have to do is pour time into forging, get some techniques, and then burn some spell slots.

On the other hand, I'm not a high-level combat god. I'm not sure I would even notice a high tier weapon from the no tier weapons I have now. Of course, it doesn't take all that much to kill the average hunting critter in DR anyway. I really don't need to kill them faster.

I would rather be able to increase spawn rate in the room. Now THAT is a summoning ability I would spend time and slots to get.

Anabasis