So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/28/2016 07:16 PM CDT
Could we get a meta that disables the pushing-mobs-out-of-the-room effect?

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/28/2016 11:52 PM CDT
>Could we get a meta that disables the pushing-mobs-out-of-the-room effect?

Serious question: why not use a different AoE?

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 12:28 AM CDT
Honestly? It's a great multi hit non cyclic full blown aoe that has some versatility with the fire option.

Only other spell that does instant aoe damage non cyclic would be CL but as you know it's low tier. I don't count fireball because it is a unique animal.

Side note I'd love to see more meta spell options for lots of spells. Fireballs into iceballs etc but I am sure that's a lot of coding to change all the spells.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 12:32 AM CDT
>>Only other spell that does instant aoe damage non cyclic would be CL but as you know it's low tier.

That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 12:47 AM CDT
Pushing an enemy out of the room really works at cross purposes to damaging them. I like crowd control (I love hypnotize!), but shockwave can feel pretty random weather it decides to act as crowd control or an attack. I get especially annoyed when I stupidly blow an unlooted corpse out of the room. Grumble...

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 01:37 AM CDT

>>That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

It doesnt seem to have as much oomph as shockwave, I assumed being lower cost was the reasoning behind that?
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 01:42 AM CDT
Tier has no impact on damage in the world of 3.0.

-Raesh

Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 08:22 AM CDT
Higher 'tier' spells coming in the form of Hylomorphic Sorcery spells?

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 10:28 AM CDT
>>Higher 'tier' spells coming in the form of Hylomorphic Sorcery spells?

Hylomorphic Sorcery is weird, not more powerful. (See Telelogic Sorcery to get an idea of the niche we're filling.)

-Raesh

Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 11:01 AM CDT
>It doesnt seem to have as much oomph as shockwave, I assumed being lower cost was the reasoning behind that?

Cold/slice(now impact) is apparently just a better damage profile than elec/fire? I don't have the spell to play with, but I'm wondering if the damage being scaled to 50/50 previously was affecting its performance.

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 11:42 AM CDT
re: Why not use CL.

If hunting Drakes or Cabalists. =(

IDK, I like Shockwave and I think the two spells have different applications. The knock-back is useful in PvP for keeping Thieves out of melee range and in invasions for maintaining breathing space. Hurling a target out of the room forces me to chase it down or wait for it to wander back in. The only time I'd want to do that is to break the ownership timer on a dropped item, and that's mech abuse.

Mazrian
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 12:14 PM CDT
Does anyone want to defend tossing things from the room as a result they like?

-Raesh

Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 12:33 PM CDT
>>Does anyone want to defend tossing things from the room as a result they like?

In defense of it - it's pretty funny when it happens.

Mazrian
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 01:08 PM CDT

I think a good compromise would just be to have different elements have different effects. I'd like to see more than just a flame option though.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 01:13 PM CDT
>>Does anyone want to defend tossing things from the room as a result they like?

For the knockdown/back effect in particular, does shockwave do anything that tremor doesn't? If so, maybe tremor can get a meta (or outright improvement) to fill that space?

I think being able to blow critters out of a room is an interesting eject button for war mages.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 02:09 PM CDT
>>I think being able to blow critters out of a room is an interesting eject button for war mages.

It might be fun as like a Paeldryth's Wrath addition, if it wasn't a high-end success.

There are a couple spells where the high end success is actually kind of counterproductive.

Shockwave is one.

Tremor is another - Tremor will knock things out to missile range and put them prone on a very high end success, then keep doing that with each pulse. Which is awesome except I can't think of any instance in which I'd WANT to do that against anything I can get that level of success on.

Mazrian
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 02:16 PM CDT
>>Tremor is another - Tremor will knock things out to missile range and put them prone on a very high end success, then keep doing that with each pulse. Which is awesome except I can't think of any instance in which I'd WANT to do that against anything I can get that level of success on.

Reminds me of my own issues with shove, to a lesser degree.

Maybe a CAST option for tremor and pw? CAST keeps them at melee and just does knockdown, CAST POLE tries to send to pole, CAST MISSILE tries to send to missile, and CAST OUT tries to eject?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 08:29 PM CDT

It's one of the few tools to combat Soul Attrition.
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 09:47 PM CDT
Soul Attrition follows you if you leave the room the caster is in, or at least it did the last time I got nailed with it.

I like the idea of more metaspells and attaching this functionality to one of them. I'm sad metaspells are not more of a thing. It seems like a great way to customize a spellbook by picking and choosing which utilities and things you want.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 09:56 PM CDT
>>Soul Attrition follows you if you leave the room the caster is in, or at least it did the last time I got nailed with it.

I think SA ends if the caster moves (so the caster couldn't go hide after firing it off).

Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 10:21 PM CDT
I'd enjoy a metaspell that added/controlled blow-out-of-the-room to shockwave -- maybe also to PW? I sometimes want the option (if nothing else it can be hilarious), but I only want it to happen intentionally!

Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/29/2016 10:26 PM CDT
I'm coming around on the idea of a metaspell (like Alkahest Edge) that would shut down the knockback on Tremor and the blowing entirely out of the room on Shockwave.

-Raesh

Re: So I hear Shockwave is getting a revision. 03/30/2016 11:52 AM CDT
>>I think SA ends if the caster moves (so the caster couldn't go hide after firing it off).

It does. Making the Cleric move rooms or killing them is the only ways that I know of defeating SA if you are hit by it.