Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/20/2016 06:20 PM CST

Yea, i'd totally join the Magic Knight guild.. or if i could a title of Magic Knight for having enough skills in magic and weaponry and armor ...
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/20/2016 06:55 PM CST
There is a Knight Magister title.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/20/2016 06:59 PM CST
>Yea, i'd totally join the Magic Knight guild.. or if i could a title of Magic Knight for having enough skills in magic and weaponry and armor ...

While I appreciate your rampant enthusiasm, sometimes a bit of research would go a long way. WMs are magic knights. If you mean redistributing skillsets, that's been discussed and the GMs have said a flat no, it's not going to happen at this point in DR's life cycle.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/21/2016 12:24 AM CST
I would certainly welcome a few more titles, though. Mage Knight and Swordmage seem strangely absent from the title list. I could also see Knight of Flames, Knight of Frost, Knight of Storms, etc being good titles.

- Saragos
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/21/2016 01:28 AM CST
You guys can have new titles when you lose all your Arcane ones.

/signed, an actual arcane sniper

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/21/2016 01:46 AM CST
The arcane titles are kind of excessive. Oh no wait I take that back, can we have an Arcane Arcanist title?

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 02/21/2016 01:13 PM CST
No but you can have Arcane world travel Arcanist
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/01/2016 01:08 AM CST
> You guys can have new titles when you lose all your Arcane ones.

> /signed, an actual arcane sniper

Obviously those are old titles and need to be revamped. They're not super appropriate for WM's, but they're not strictly appropriate for Necromancers either. Arcane is not a term that means evil magic or Necromantic magic. It refers to magic outside of the guild structure. Sorcery is Arcane (and by extension Necromancy), but so are Analagous Patterns. Thus, Arcane could just as likely refer to any spellcaster.

If anything, some of the Arcane titles should move to Primary Magic and the WM exclusive ones refitted to be more guild appropriate. Most of them could simply become Elemental, such as "Elemental World Ender", but Arcane Lord might be more appropriate as Mage Lord or something of the like. It goes without saying that many of the requirements could be revisited as well. The exception to this is that the "mage" titles would probably need to stay with magic primary guilds only, per the statements about the term "mage".

Sources:
> It's helpful to remember the definition of "arcane" and to not regard it as just a neat word for evil magic.
> The Arcane realm is the realm of magic that covers spellbooks that fall outside the guild defined structures of how magic is organized and functions. For a real world parallel, it's a bit like how "borderline personality" was originally a catch-all for something a clinician couldn't diagnose, but then took on a life of its own due to chronic misuse.
> -Armifer

>>Are there any examples of arcane magic that fall outside of sorcery?
> Analogous Patterns.
> -Armifer

> Once more for emphasis: "Arcane magic" is not shorthand for Evil Magic.
> Analogous Patterns won't teach Sorcery because it's not Sorcery. It's Arcane Magic because it defies attempts to classify it according to the guilds' conventional system.
> - Armifer

Context: http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Necromancers/Necromancer%20Ideologies/thread/1218693

> For what it's worth, I've tried to consistently use the term "magician" to describe people who can use magic, and save "mage" for the people who make a career out of it.
> -Armifer

Context: http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/Suggestions%20-%20Titles/thread/1464840

- Saragos
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/01/2016 01:16 AM CST
that's a cool post and all but

> exp am

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Arcane Magic: XXX 85.43% clear (0/34)

/signed by what is still an actual arcane sniper

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/01/2016 01:41 AM CST
>>Arcane Magic: XXX 85.43% clear (0/34)

He clearly stated that Necromancy is Arcane Magic. No one is arguing with you here.

However he also pointed out that Analogous Patterns are Arcane Magic. Therefore anyone using AP spells should have access to Arcane titles.

Arcane Sniper in particular should probably be Necromancer-only because they are the only ones capable of using Snipe with Arcane Magic.

- Navesi
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/01/2016 03:18 PM CST
Some of the Arcane titles are kind of silly, but they've been for real years and in-game decades before "Arcane Mana" was even invented so that's kind of an issue. Arcanist was, I think, one of the original titles.

Plus necromancers really should check their privilege and recognize that most of their magical terminology is cultural appropriation of older magical traditions. Book probably learned the word "arcane" from Gauthus.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/02/2016 12:07 PM CST
arcane/mysterious anything - overused cliche.

WMs are arcane in the sense that unless you a familiar with the systems, nobody knows what the heck you are doin besides makin fire and lightning shoot out of giant planar holes and changing the room atmospherics. which is very cool

-Munch-
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/02/2016 01:07 PM CST

That the Warrior Mages ARE magic knights is not the same as the Warrior Mage guild being called the Magic Knights Guild. If it was the Magic Knight Guild then everyone would go around saying Magic Knights, not Warrior Mages.

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/02/2016 01:19 PM CST
You are the most elaborate troll I've ever seen in action.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/02/2016 02:24 PM CST
<<Plus necromancers really should check their privilege and recognize that most of their magical terminology is cultural appropriation of older magical traditions.

Check your privilege and cultural appropriation don't mean what I think you think they mean.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/03/2016 02:47 AM CST

>>You are the most elaborate troll I've ever seen in action.

Being extremely earnest can sometimes be confused as trolling. QQ

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights 03/03/2016 06:48 AM CST
>Being extremely earnest can sometimes be confused as trolling. QQ

You should, perhaps, learn what 'QQ' typically means in online forums.

Because antagonizing one of the best customer interaction GMs is bad for the game as a whole.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights :: NUDGE :: 03/03/2016 07:18 AM CST
Please keep the discussion on topic. Posts here should pertain to suggestions for Warrior Mages only please.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Turn the Warrior Mages into Magic Knights :: NUDGE :: 03/03/2016 05:23 PM CST
knights are usually bound by codes of honor or duty. war mages aren't taught any morals. they are expected to train to unravel the mysteries of the elemental planes, and are not held by their guild to uphold any sort of law, many of their spells are illegal and dangerous to crowds.

you can melt peoples faces off. Gauth teaches you how to do it,though he never mentions whose face you should melt off and whose face you should not melt off. it's left up to the individual mage on what he or she does with whats been taught.from my perspective.

-Munch-