Suggested Barrage Changes 02/02/2016 06:33 AM CST
I split these ideas off from my Pathway suggestions post, so as not to confuse any discussion and to keep the length down. Again, I had some ideas for changes to Barrage that I'd like to submit that I feel would significantly improve the ability, from a flash, usability, and even a balance standpoint.

Case for Change
Barrage is an incredibly flavorful ability that doesn’t have the best execution. It encapsulates everything that the concept of a Warrior Mage embodies. However, right now it seems to be both lackluster and more complicated to pull off than it needs to be. I suspect a lot of this comes from the difficulty of balancing each of the many usable TM spells with each of the possible weapon maneuvers. Messaging suffers too, and is rather generic, likely because it would be an enormous task to write custom messaging for each option.

Proposed Changes
I propose to have Barrage be reimagined a single charged maneuver that is based off of one of the core intro TM spells (the ones covered by Elementalism), the melding of rapid rote casting of a long-practiced spell with a turbocharge via a direct connection to the Elemental Planes, coordinated with a weapon attack.

This would have the advantage of being easier to use as a player (especially during crunch times), would be easier to balance for the GM's, being tied tied to a small number of spells, and easier to write messaging for.

My suggestions are:
- Turn Barrage into a charged melee combat maneuver, or something very similar. Syntax would just be BARRAGE, it would message the room with its own messaging about targeting the spell during warmup, and the manuever being prepared.
- Eliminate the choosing of a spell at usage. Base the damage type and messaging off of the intro TM spell known by the mage. If multiple basic WM TM spells are known, the preferred spell could be chosen ahead of time via Align – ALIGN BARRAGE GAR ZENG.
- Eliminate the choosing of a maneuver at usage and have the weapon damage be based on whichever the primary damage type of the held weapon is.
- Mana consumption could be determined by the mage's Attunement and Summoning ranks.
- Make it look nice and flashy. An ongoing line of Lightning (Emperor Palpatine style), a veritable cannon of fire or stone shards, etc. Possibly the spell could even project from the weapon used.
- Tweak learning to make using it a decent way to learn Summoning.

Again, thanks for your consideration.

- Saragos
Re: Suggested Barrage Changes 02/02/2016 05:13 PM CST
I think this type of change would definitely make me consider using Barrage a lot more in any combat situation. Right now I find myself highly unlikely to use it at all, unfortunately. Not sure if this is something that can be done, but hopefully it can be considered.