Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 11:06 AM CDT
I was chatting with someone yesterday about familiars and having to have the talisman out to do anything with them. I know that we were told a very long time ago that it's a system limitation, and not something that's likely to change.

However, we both came up with different ways of getting around this problem. I'll post mine and allow him to post his.

Give Warrior Mages the slip ability that Thieves have, but limit it to only work with talismans. That way I can slip out my talisman, use it, and slip it away. Simple work around, the code already exists and restrictions are also already in place as well.

This would allow us to use them without everyone seeing us take out our talisman.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 11:42 AM CDT
If that's not possible, could wearable talismans be a possible alternative?

Nikpack
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 12:05 PM CDT
>>Give Warrior Mages the slip ability that Thieves have, but limit it to only work with talismans. That way I can slip out my talisman, use it, and slip it away. Simple work around, the code already exists and restrictions are also already in place as well.

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd love to see slip opened up to everyone, only for the hand and with a perception check. If so, bards need more slip options.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 12:14 PM CDT

<If that's not possible, could wearable talismans be a possible alternative?

And with guild fest just around the corner....
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 01:01 PM CDT
The talisman isn't going away, either ICly or OOCly. It is an IC thing and a system requirement that would be rather hellish (possible, but hellish) to remove. For comparison, I had an emotional investment in making Risen control itemless but we weren't able to reasonably do it when we tried.

I'll look into if wearable talismans would break anything funny.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 01:49 PM CDT
I agree that it's an IC thing, but I also think that as a high level mage Binu could put his hand in his pocket to touch the talisman and control his familiar that way. This is the reasoning I used for giving us something like slip, but only for talismans.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 03:22 PM CDT
>>I agree that it's an IC thing, but I also think that as a high level mage Binu could put his hand in his pocket to touch the talisman and control his familiar that way. This is the reasoning I used for giving us something like slip, but only for talismans.

Slip really doesn't work that way. You have to enter a command that has a 2-3 second RT attached to it. There are no slips that just automatically work without the player entering the slip command. If WMs were to get slip it wouldn't actually help you as it would take 2 seconds to get the talisman out then put it back up. GET and PUT work much quicker.

Turning slip into something that worked automatically without RT would mean WMs would have a better slip than any other survival prime (or bard).
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 04:02 PM CDT
Not too in favor of the whole slip aspect, not trying to do anything sneaking. Though talismans, charms, icons, and all manner of things have been worn as a necklace. Don't see anything wrong with the creation of a casing that can be worn in the same manner that a talisman can fit into. Maybe even make it turnable so you can have access to two of your favorites. Or for the even more fashionable a wrist or armband version! Simple musings but I'm bored at work.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 06:01 PM CDT
>>Slip really doesn't work that way. You have to enter a command that has a 2-3 second RT attached to it. There are no slips that just automatically work without the player entering the slip command. If WMs were to get slip it wouldn't actually help you as it would take 2 seconds to get the talisman out then put it back up. GET and PUT work much quicker.

>>Turning slip into something that worked automatically without RT would mean WMs would have a better slip than any other survival prime (or bard).

I'm fine with the roundtime. I never meant that we shouldn't have roundtime, I just forgot to mention it. I'd happily have 3 second roundtime on it, since we're survival tert, just to be able to avoid everyone seeing me take out the talisman every time.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 06:02 PM CDT
And I also didn't mean that it should be automatic.

I envisioned it like this:

slip talisman(rt)
summon fam
slip talisman in belt(rt)
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 06:24 PM CDT

Worn talismans have been requested for years and it makes sense. Maybe as a chain you can buy in the upcoming fest or as part of the engineering profession. Attach them to a talisman. Always a risk to break, but high skill mitigates much of this risk.

As for using, make it like cambrinth. Small talismans can be manipulated while worn with moderately low skill. Level 20ish or so. By level 40-50 you're able to do large talismans. By 60-70 you're able to do Dark talismans and 100+ can do Fir Talismans.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/17/2015 11:06 PM CDT
Biased, and not a fan of 100+ for fir fams :(

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 06:47 AM CDT
I believe 100+ in Summoning is what was referred, unless I misunderstood. Wearable familiar discussions go way back to 1999 or thereabouts. I believe I started then when Blacklark and Frogspawn posted on the boards.

I believe we could put a chain through the wood before we started carving the talisman for the familiar. Existing ones should require skill to drill a hole through without damaging the link to the familiar. Now, which skill or skills for this... Summoning and Mech Lore/Engineering/something?

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 07:20 AM CDT
If I do this, it'll be something pretty simple.

My concern is strictly on if wearable talismans are going to break anything, lore wise they make enough sense and I'm not in the mood to penalize you for a QoL feature, if it happens.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 09:33 AM CDT
>>Armifer

Sounds good, thanks.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 01:16 PM CDT
Last time somebody looked into wearable talismans I think the answer was that it would break everything. Does anyone remember/ have the details?

The engine upgrade might have happened since then, too.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 02:27 PM CDT
This is probably just the same/similar logic you'd have to use to make the wearable work but... What if we had an item we could fit all our talismans in, and it would just rotate which one was on 'top'(the only one in use). This item would use code to relay our commands to the talisman, so something like -tap item- would then effect the 'top talisman', by inserting a snippit of code to make it think that you did the same thing as -player holds- and -player summon fam command-. The item could be anything, worn or not worn.

Ideas for item- puzzle box, staff(combined with ritual foci?), a chain, a bandoleer, special shield(talismans on the inside), key ring type thing, mechanical device like the goggles that changes lenses when you turn them, something like that grey orb the mentors made a few years ago, I'd say gauntlets/weapons but why would you want to risk damaging the talismans...

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 04:16 PM CDT
>turn elemental puzzle box

You twist your puzzle box and it clicks into place, displaying your bear talisman in a lament configuration.

> summon familiar

You focus intently on your puzzle box...

A scurffy bear in a latex jumpsuit with a grid of pins stuck into its face charges in, and abruptly stops, looking up at you.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 04:37 PM CDT

>A scurffy bear in a latex jumpsuit with a grid of pins stuck into its face charges in, and abruptly stops, looking up at you.

That took me a second.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 04:51 PM CDT
Naw that would be more a necromancer fam...

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/18/2015 05:40 PM CDT
>>Naw that would be more a necromancer fam...

The problem with being so short, all the good jokes go right over your head.

Re: Familiars and talismans 03/26/2015 07:41 PM CDT
>If I do this, it'll be something pretty simple.

I think the easiest way to do it is make it a wrist worn bracelet that shoots out your familiar . If rangers can shoot bees from their fingers I wanna have a talisman-smartwatch that shoots out bears. EZpeezylemonsqueezy.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/26/2015 07:58 PM CDT
>If rangers can shoot bees from their fingers I wanna have a talisman-smartwatch that shoots out bears

But, Rangers can't shoot bees from their fingers so that means no go-go-gadget wristwatch for you!

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/26/2015 08:26 PM CDT
... That's such an awesome spell idea. Shame Rangers already have plenty of tm spells.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/26/2015 08:39 PM CDT

Oh no, necros are gonna need a type of talisman for their Risen? A necklace of ears? A withered finger?
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/26/2015 09:54 PM CDT
>Oh no, necros are gonna need a type of talisman for their Risen? A necklace of ears? A withered finger?

A music box, obviously.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/26/2015 09:59 PM CDT
>>Oh no, necros are gonna need a type of talisman for their Risen? A necklace of ears? A withered finger?

>A music box, obviously.

Organ grinder.

(See what I did there?)

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/22/2016 12:18 PM CDT
Sorry to resurrect a sleeping thread, but I've been wondering if there's been any further insight into whether or not the talismans could be made wearable and usable from that state?

Recently getting into more use with my familiar, I'd definitely like to have him out and about more(interacting with people and that sort of thing) without fear of losing my talisman.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/22/2016 07:03 PM CDT
I concur!

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/22/2016 07:54 PM CDT
I'd never thought about the familiar-loss angle and now I am paranoid!

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Familiars and talismans 03/25/2016 06:14 PM CDT

I ask about this every couple years, and I remain hopeful, someday.