Guild register 10/26/2013 01:17 AM CDT
I was wondering how difficult it would be to update the guild registers. A lot of other guilds have different registers for each guild location. I could be wrong but as far as i'm aware of all of ours are just by circle. I think it would be interesting to have one with just targeted magic, maybe another for total magics, it can go on and on. Little things like that are just nice to have, gives a bit of motivation.

- Erixx
Re: Guild register 10/26/2013 02:47 AM CDT
If you guys can compile a list of what renown scroll should go where, it's something that can be looked into.

Things are super hectic right now with 3.1 and HE and all that goodness, so this would be more of an "eventually" thing than a "soon" thing, even if the bosses approve it. But we can definitely look into it!

Melete
We must expect posterity
to view with some asperity
the marvels and the wonders
we're passing on to it;

But it should change its attitude
to one of heartfelt gratitude
when thinking of the blunders
we didn't quite commit.
Re: Guild register 10/26/2013 02:00 PM CDT
Oooh! Lets get this voting started. What categories should there even be?

I'd like to see a board in the fortress for studious mages; arcana, summoning, scholarship?
Re: Guild register 10/26/2013 03:59 PM CDT
8 guildhalls, not sure if they all have boards - not sure if the Sentinels would have a guild if they ever open too

few ideas based on other guilds' boards I guess:

highest summoning- (Shard)
highest TM and PM- (Crossing)
highest 3 weapons- (Haven)
highest overall survival-(probably like Forf? or Ratha?)
highest lore/craft- Muspar'i? if not Forf(since they have/had a forge), maybe the Citadel?
highest arcana and warding - (Citadel)
highest sorcery and tactics - (Mer'kresh)
highest armor and shield? I dunno.... last few felt like a stretch

Re: Guild register 10/26/2013 04:17 PM CDT
Riverhaven- Home of the Battle Mage, Average of all weapons, highest armor, shield, and TM..
Crossing- Keep as is.
Hib- Forging, Large Edge(guild leader carries one)
Shard- Something to do with the extreme discipline it must take to control that storm cloud. Perhaps Discipline,Stamina, warding, elemental magic, arcana?

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Guild register 10/26/2013 09:22 PM CDT
I like Melear for highest summoning since she basically lives through her familiar, though Augrym does that four-familiar trick.

>Hib- Forging, Large Edge(guild leader carries one)

Most of the guildleaders openly carry a weapon. Not sure if they have enough variety to represent a spread of them. One guild for highest 3 melee weapons and another for highest ranged weapons? Or weapons + armor and ranged + tactics or the like.
Re: Guild register 10/26/2013 11:27 PM CDT
I always like Hible for survivals, given how remote and rugged most of it is.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 01:00 AM CDT
>>highest summoning- (Shard)
>>highest TM and PM- (Crossing)
>>highest 3 weapons- (Haven)
>>highest overall survival-(probably like Forf? or Ratha?)
>>highest lore/craft- Muspar'i? if not Forf(since they have/had a forge), maybe the Citadel?
>>highest arcana and warding - (Citadel)
>>highest sorcery and tactics - (Mer'kresh)
>>highest armor and shield? I dunno.... last few felt like a stretch

I'd say crossing could still stay circle, at least one of the guilds should be.

Citadel could be gen magic or total magic.

It would be great to have a sorcery scroll but then again i'm not sure how that would fly seeing how it is illegal. Hidden list maybe?

For sure need one for just flat out TM since that is our bread and butter, maybe mix it with summoning.

weapons/lores/survivals for the rest.

- Erixx
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 01:14 AM CDT

Sorcery is illegal. sorcery is not.

scary inexplicable just plain wrong causes the masses to freak out and want you dead. seeing a war mage cast clear vision, if you were to even notice, is just a, 'huh, thats weird'

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 08:19 AM CDT
<<Sorcery is illegal. sorcery is not.

<<scary inexplicable just plain wrong causes the masses to freak out and want you dead. seeing a war mage cast clear vision, if you were to even notice, is just a, 'huh, thats weird'

That's a great description of it. I've used similar ones when explaining to people why they shouldn't get on my case when I'm casting tasty ranger magic.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 12:08 PM CDT
<<Sorcery is illegal. sorcery is not.

While true, I often wonder why that is the case. It hardly matters if you blow yourself (and maybe some bystanders) up by jamming elemental mana into a life spell or if you do the same using a lay necromancy spell and mucking up the life portion. I suppose the effects of being successful are different; on one hand you cause a few items on the ground to rot away and on the other you mess with the powers of unlife.
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 01:44 PM CDT

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Sorcery_Lore_-_7/19/2010_-_21:05:22

not the post I was looking for... but close enough
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 04:06 PM CDT

>>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Sorcery_Lore_-_7/19/2010_-_21:05:22

>>not the post I was looking ... But

I knew about the technical definition. My question was more about how and why governments and pitchfork wielding mobs make the distinction
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 05:06 PM CDT
Without interjecting the politics of the issue, I think it reminds me of the whole "assault weapon" thing.

"Assault" weapons look scary, even if they are functionally equivalent to "regular" weapons. Perception is a big thing, even if you don't truly understand the intricacies of various types of weapons and their workings.

Thus some of society is outraged about them, and in some places that can get you in trouble.

It's not a perfect analogy, but it's a work-alike I used mentally when the concept first came about with respect to Sorcery vs. sorcery.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 05:11 PM CDT
The guild doesn't entirely care about legality, or they wouldn't teach you half your spells. There was that period where they kicked you under a bus for acting like anything less than a paladin, but I think that was more of concern with image than actual regard for the law.

But the guild does care about sorcery, and has a longstanding policy of quietly eliminating members who delve too deeply into it, so it would be pretty weird to have an open acknowledgement of it on a register.

Anyway,

I agree crossing should stay circle. It's home base. Haven weapons and Shard Magics, then more specific stuff to the farther-away guilds.

Hibben is pretty remote- but we also have the guild up in Muspar'i that seems like an equally good place for Survivals.
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 05:23 PM CDT
Maybe if/when the Sentential out on Aesry opens it could have a sorcery list. Of course, to me this would only happen if the events leading up to its opening tie in some how.
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 07:41 PM CDT
I threw sorcery in as a whim for future hylomorphic stuff and cause Kresh is like the edge of the world, so people might not notice as much?

Muspari I see more as an appraisal and craft place, since its a bazaar city. Though they also have the museum - so scholarship and app then?

Shard I could see arcana, warding or utility, summoning, TM, and PM all being relevant. Or something like stats with Discipline too.

Crossing I'm cool with top circle.

Haven as a battle Mage place works - weapons, melee mastery and TM? Defense too?

Hib - outdoorsman ship / mining? Plus Smithing?

Ratha - athletics? I dunno...
Re: Guild register 10/27/2013 08:32 PM CDT
I have a terrible sense of what the island guilds are like. I've been to each of them like once!
Re: Guild register 01/07/2014 02:51 AM CST
sorcery (small s) is the act of shoving the wrong mana type into a spell. At best, it looks a bit odd when a Ranger pops out a cleric spell or other oddity. At worst, the pattern unravels and dumps the energy into your body, destroying various parts (arms, etc). Again, odd, disturbing, but peasants are no more freaked by this than watching an empath regrow bits.

Sorcery (big s) is the act of mixing two or more types of mana. Because a mage can only sense one type of mana (necromancers are a pseudo-exception) this means they're weaving at least one type blind. This makes it incredibly unstable, and liable to blow up in the face of it's users, quite literally. When it goes right, it's disturbing to watch and ALWAYS results in some sort of destruction, whether it's physical or metaphysical. Beyond the mechanical effects of backlash, the lore of Sorcery is that when it goes wrong, it's the type of thing that leaves craters. And not small ones, but village-sized craters.

Basically, Sorcery is always disturbing, in a way that the game doesn't always go into.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html