Incinerate 01/05/2010 03:08 PM CST
I haven't been around much but um.. what is the status of blackfire development? If there hasn't been any, what are the chances of them just making incinerate perma-learnable for those of us with scrolls? It's mana reserve is such that it's useless without perma-learning it. It would be a nice temporary compromise...

;/

-Meanne
Re: Incinerate 01/05/2010 03:44 PM CST
Perma-learning blackfire, though Incinerate was (last I heard) developed to be scroll-only and would need to be nerfed or something if it were learnable, is waiting on the development of a system for the guild to murder you every Tuesday for it.

Or something like that. Learning Blackfire is shades of playing a shocked empath, a dark paladin, or a necromaner.

Dooon't hold your breath for either development or compromise.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Incinerate 01/05/2010 03:45 PM CST
I've been waiting for awhile. I figured it was worth a nudge ;/
Re: Incinerate 01/05/2010 03:49 PM CST
Also, there's a planned overhaul of the magic system again so there's a moratorium on magic development that wasn't already in the hopper. Again.

So... really really don't hold your breath.

Re: Incinerate 01/05/2010 08:41 PM CST
I think Armifer recently posted that when incinerate does become perma learnable that it's going to be a significantly nerfed version of what we have today. You should just go ahead and sell your scroll to me if you are going to keep waiting for that day to come.
Re: Incinerate 01/17/2010 08:16 PM CST
Is the Black Fire Cabal still around?
Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 11:49 AM CST
Technically, no.. but some players have tried to resurrect cabals with minimal success..

(No offense to those who've tried -- your attempts were admirable.)

The incinerate spell is around, which is a type of blackfire, but they are relatively rare and expensive. I only use it when I have two, because it's so easy to lose the spell due to a ridiculous mana reserve...
Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 11:54 AM CST
In the meantime of whatever they're doing, it'd be nice if they'd just make the thing perma learnable for the sake of fun and roleplay. It can't be that hard :P

But yes, I'm used to holding my breath on this one..
Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 11:57 AM CST
>>Perma-learning Incinerate.

One issue is that Incinerate is too over powered in its current form to allow it into anyone's personal arsenal.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 02:09 PM CST
I understand but...

Break branch? Nissa's Binding...? LOL.

All moot, I guess, after the changes.
Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 05:13 PM CST
>> Break branch? Nissa's Binding...? LOL.

...are not even comparable to Incinerate?

Even post-terrible nerf Incinerate is still really powerful. Powerful enough that a few WMs I know cried when Ventuul destroyed a scroll at the orb charging.

NB is also getting rewritten to suck less for everyone involved, which'll be nice.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh coughs. "I'm sure we can work out our differences, Caelumia."
Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 06:27 PM CST
My point is that there are plenty overpowered spells out there as it is -- and blackfire is SUPPOSED to be really powerful.

Since they're rewriting it and it's temporary anyways... what the hey?

Don't worry, I don't expect anything, I'm just musing... with my guildees :)

-Meanne
Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 06:46 PM CST
Logic and reason tread not where Blackfire is mentioned.

Re: Incinerate 01/20/2010 07:51 PM CST
>>Even post-terrible nerf Incinerate is still really powerful. Powerful enough that a few WMs I know cried when Ventuul destroyed a scroll at the orb charging

Pre-nerf was funny. It either killed you, or near killed you.

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 01:20 PM CST
>>Even post-terrible nerf Incinerate is still really powerful. Powerful enough that a few WMs I know cried when Ventuul destroyed a scroll at the orb charging

Sucks i've never even seen the spell in action. I've found countless scrolls when i hunted gryphons and shalswars and never found a single incinerate one. I've blown hundreds of plats in the fest tent trying to find one and nothing... Then some tool of thief destroys one at the orb charging. Rage.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 01:26 PM CST
Magmus was hoarding like 3 last I checked so if you wanna yell at someone...

Rev. Reene

You whisper to Kaedan, "OOC: CANT YOU SING LILT FOR ME IRL"
>
Kaedan whispers, "OOC: OOOOOH HODIERNA'S LILLLLLLLLLT"
>
Kaedan whispers, "OOC: ::guitar riff::"
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 03:54 PM CST
don't know what it looks like post-nerf, but pre-nerf is on elanthipedia

The ground trembles as massive gouts of colorless flame explode upward, sending blackened embers and twirling, dark sparks into the sky!
The black fire surrounds a fendryad, consuming flesh and scorching the ground beneath its feet!
Its body explodes as fire bursts out from within, spraying boiling blood and burning pieces of bone in a wide circle!

A shower of violently crackling black sparks descends over the area!

Pre-nerf:
If it hit, it would destroy every single body part on the body, skin, nerves, everything. If it "missed" it gave bleedings or cuts and bruises on every body part.

Post-nerf:
Don't know if its changed looks but whatever body part it hits is insta-destroyed. If it misses it will actually just miss and do no damage.

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 04:58 PM CST
Wasn't there a GM post saying that the scrolls at the fest tent are all of the legal variety?

- Starlear -
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 05:41 PM CST
So Mord you wasted your money.. ahahaha!!!

Don't worry though.

I feel your pain :(
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 05:51 PM CST
I got a bunch of zephyr scrolls out of it so i didn't waste any money thank you very much.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 06:02 PM CST
LOL.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 06:03 PM CST
Supposedly the drop rate on incinerate is 1 in 80,000. So you'd have to buy a LOT of scrolls even if they did sell them there.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 07:33 PM CST
Alright i wasn't really thinking i'd get one at the fest nor hunting gryphons/shalswars for ever just saying it sucks that the guy who decides to destroy it for RP gets one instead.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 08:07 PM CST
>Alright i wasn't really thinking i'd get one at the fest nor hunting gryphons/shalswars for ever just saying it sucks that the guy who decides to destroy it for RP gets one instead.

Agreed. Reminds me of the event in plat where someone got an item that can trigger an invasion... and they promptly put it in a trash bucket.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 08:27 PM CST
Ventuul struggled with that one pretty hard and decided to take the hard road in the name of RP.

Most people wouldn't do that, but then most DR players aren't actually that great at roleplaying consistent characters.

>> If it hit, it would destroy every single body part on the body, skin, nerves, everything. If it "missed" it gave bleedings or cuts and bruises on every body part.

IIRC if it "missed" didn't it give one level below useless wounds on every body part, with pretty bad bleeders to go with it? You were effectively dead at that point.

Rev. Reene

You whisper to Kaedan, "OOC: CANT YOU SING LILT FOR ME IRL"
>
Kaedan whispers, "OOC: OOOOOH HODIERNA'S LILLLLLLLLLT"
>
Kaedan whispers, "OOC: ::guitar riff::"
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 08:36 PM CST
>>IIRC if it "missed" didn't it give one level below useless wounds on every body part, with pretty bad bleeders to go with it? You were effectively dead at that point.<<

Yep. You either outright died or got horrible wounds all over your body.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 08:36 PM CST
This gives me an idea for a new teleological sorcery spell :)

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 10:30 PM CST
We need a spell that, when it misses, just kills the wrong target.

Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 10:55 PM CST
Now THAT is a moon mage spell. Except somehow I think the "wrong target" would always be "the caster".

Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 11:07 PM CST
WM's just need an instakill spell, game over.

Maybe for our 100th level ability they will give us "kill target." Eh? Eh?!

:(
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 11:09 PM CST
Paladins are supposed to be getting some kind of invulnerability for their 100th.

What happens if a WM tries to insta-kill an invulnerable Paladin?

(something awesome + hilarious, I hope)

-- Player of Szrael --

(12:09:15 AM) catman: every time i find someone that has calm as their default speech emote, my first reaction is to try and make them angry
Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 11:24 PM CST
>Maybe for our 100th level ability they will give us "kill target." Eh? Eh?!

Wythor did say that something like Pathway Death was in the original proposal.

Re: Incinerate 01/21/2010 11:24 PM CST
Shape Pathway to Pony?

Wait... wrong guild.