Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 02:57 AM CST
Thank you so much, Greyuva! This spell has been ripe for an update for a long time. Some brief testing has been a lot of fun, and it seems to fit a good niche separate for BG! I particularly appreciate the fact that you're notified when the cooldown is off and it's ready to fire again.

Two things:

1) I saw this on the DISCERN: "The spell requires at minimum 10 mana streams and you think you can reinforce it with 169 more, for a total of 179 streams."
Is this intentional on the mana? I had thought all non-ritual spells capped around 100 mana, and the min prep is the same as it used to be. I was expecting a normal cap and higher min prep.

2) The auto-target is wonderful. BG could probably use the same treatment if you have time, as it does not currently auto-target.

- Saragos
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 06:06 AM CST
Thanks for updating the spell!

Is there any difference between the SPIT and EXHALE verbs for this spell?

The cooldown feels fairly long, but the spell seems to be a lot better too. I'm going to do further testing. Thanks again!
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 06:14 AM CST
Sweeeeeet...

Any chance you could put the spell on preview for a bit?

Mazrian
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 06:32 AM CST
>>Is this intentional on the mana? I had thought all non-ritual spells capped around 100 mana, and the min prep is the same as it used to be. I was expecting a normal cap and higher min prep.

Yes, the mana adjustment is aimed at high-end casts, as the number of shots a capped spell can fire has increased tenfold.

>>BG could probably use the same treatment if you have time, as it does not currently auto-target.

Possibly. I'd like to be sure it's not causing any problems with DB first.

>>Is there any difference between the SPIT and EXHALE verbs for this spell?

Nope!

>>Any chance you could put the spell on preview for a bit?

Since it wasn't really a rewrite, probably not.

GM Grejuva
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 07:24 AM CST
This sounds awesome. Thank you.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 12:31 PM CST
>>Yes, the mana adjustment is aimed at high-end casts, as the number of shots a capped spell can fire has increased tenfold.

So from 1 shot to 10 shots? When I was testing last night, I kept getting impatient waiting for the cooldown to be over so I could breathe fire again. So I never did get a full count.

For anyone wanting to know, at 200 mana, the spell lasts 10 minutes.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 12:33 PM CST
Timer after the first shot is 30 seconds. Timer after subsequent shots seems to be 50 seconds. So if there's no hard shot limit you should be able to get 12 or so.

Mazrian
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 01:08 PM CST
Really cool (hot?) change! Nice to see a spell scale this high.

Meh?
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:22 PM CST
Can someone look into the experience granted for casting this spell at 200 mana? I only go from 0 to 1/34. It seems like I should learn a lot more for that kind of mana expenditure.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:23 PM CST
Spell learning is based on difficulty, not mana efficency. If it takes 1 Warding rank to cast a 300 mana spell, you would get the experience for casting a 1 rank spell even at 300 mana.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:24 PM CST
>>Can someone look into the experience granted for casting this spell at 200 mana? I only go from 0 to 1/34. It seems like I should learn a lot more for that kind of mana expenditure.

Isn't DB a TM spell, so it should teach TM when striking an at-skill mob vs when tossing it up?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:26 PM CST
It teaches utility on cast, and TM on use.

Thanks for the info Armifer. I thought that might be the case, just thought I'd ask. I'm always looking for a better way to train utility!
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:30 PM CST
Can you post the new DISCERN then please, since the wiki page says that it's only a targeted magic spell, not utility. There's also a few other new details I'd like to confirm.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:37 PM CST
Armifer, can you clarify? I know I learn better from casting my esoteric spells at max mana than if I cast them at minimum mana.

Let's take Aegis of Granite as an example:
It's esoteric, range from 250 - 1000 ranks. I have well over 1000. These are straight casts, with the ritual focus and no symbiosis.

If I cast at 250 mana, I gain no experience.

If I cast at 600 mana, I gain 3 mind states.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:37 PM CST
>>New discern.

Dragon's Breath is aptly named, as it gives you the fearsome breath of a mythical flame-belching dragon! Once cast, the power of elemental fire will well up inside you for a duration, allowing you to spit or exhale at a target. The blast relies on your skill at targeting, but does not interfere with other sorts of spellcasting.

This is a targeted spell, which must be TARGETed at a specific opponent. This spell does fire and puncture damage. It can be cast without a target and at hostile creatures. It requires a minimum of ten mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of two hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of an experienced practitioner. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Utility skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Fire Ball or Ignite. It will also cost two spell slots.

The spell requires at minimum 10 mana streams and you think you can reinforce it with 190 more, for a total of 200 streams.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:48 PM CST
<<Armifer, can you clarify? I know I learn better from casting my esoteric spells at max mana than if I cast them at minimum mana.
<<Let's take Aegis of Granite as an example:
<<It's esoteric, range from 250 - 1000 ranks. I have well over 1000. These are straight casts, with the ritual focus and no symbiosis.
<<If I cast at 250 mana, I gain no experience.
<<If I cast at 600 mana, I gain 3 mind states.

250 mana only requires 250 ranks to cast (it's just coincidence these numbers are identical) and that's what is contesting your 1000+ skill. I.e. The difficulty of the spell you have cast is much lower than your skill.

600 mana requies 1000 ranks to cast so that's what is contesting your 1000+ ranks. Because this is more in range of your actual skill then you get experience for it. I.e. The difficulty of the spell you have cast is comparable to your skill.

Also, I think ritual spells get a slight boost to experience per cast compared to standard spells to compensate for their longer cast times and clunkiness in the same way that battle spells get a slight reduction per cast to compensate for their lower cast times. The exp per time would be about equal for all three types of spells.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:49 PM CST
Hm, that makes me wonder about BG's discern as well. Does it show up as Utility only too?

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:53 PM CST
>>250 mana only requires 250 ranks to cast (it's just coincidence these numbers are identical) and that's what is contesting your 1000+ skill. I.e. The difficulty of the spell you have cast is much lower than your skill.

>>600 mana requies 1000 ranks to cast so that's what is contesting your 1000+ ranks. Because this is more in range of your actual skill then you get experience for it. I.e. The difficulty of the spell you have cast is comparable to your skill.

This is correct. Or, to put it simply, mana modifies difficulty, how much it modifies difficulty by depends on the spell.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 04:54 PM CST
> Hm, that makes me wonder about BG's discern as well. Does it show up as Utility only too?

Just confirmed. Yes, it does.

- Saragos
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:00 PM CST
>>Armifer, can you clarify? I know I learn better from casting my esoteric spells at max mana than if I cast them at minimum mana.

epedia is listing DB as basic. Is that another error? If it's not, you might not be learning because its just too easy for you.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:07 PM CST
<<epedia is listing DB as basic. Is that another error?

Basic, advanced, etc is simply an indication of the general skill range required to cast at minimum mana. Since 80 is the minimum skill it should be listed as advanced, not basic but that shouln't have any bearing on the learning rate inasmuch as it goes off of skill which was listed correctly, and not the abstracted categorization of said skill.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:16 PM CST
>>Basic, advanced, etc is simply an indication of the general skill range required to cast at minimum mana. Since 80 is the minimum skill it should be listed as advanced, not basic but that shouln't have any bearing on the learning rate inasmuch as it goes off of skill which was listed correctly, and not the abstracted categorization of said skill.

I think intro/basic/advanced/esoteric are also indications of how hard it is to maximize the spell, as well (which would relate to how well it teaches at certain skill ranges).

In other words, you can put 100 mana into an intro spell way before you can put 100 mana into an esoteric spell. That's also why it's easier to put more mana into a basic spell with a symbiosis than an esoteric spell with a symbiosis. In turn, if you are able to cap out a basic spell with next-to-no effort, it doesn't teach as well as a spell where you might still slightly backfire when casting at cap.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:17 PM CST
Yes, but the point is it is an abstraction of the skill range the spell covers, which was correct on the wiki. I.e. the fact that it said basic means nothing.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:25 PM CST
>>Yes, but the point is it is an abstraction of the skill range the spell covers, which was correct on the wiki. I.e. the fact that it said basic means nothing.

...yeah, that's my point. The person was asking "Why is a basic spell (Dragon's Breath) teaching worse than an esoteric one (Aegis of Granite)". The answer is "Because unless DB is listed incorrectly difficulty-wise, it's an easier spell than AEG."

Yes, the mana investment is unrelated to the spell difficulty. But the spell difficulty relates to how well it teaches (or doesn't teach). We're both pointing out different reasons why A is better than B, even though they're both valid.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:36 PM CST
The only person bringing up basic or advanced was you.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:42 PM CST
No, that's not what I was asking. I was asking if it should be teaching better since it can be cast at 200 mana now. I understand the difference between a basic, advanced, and esoteric spell. And DB is an advanced spell.

It does teach me a little bit, but I was hoping with the doubling of the mana investment, it could be nudged a bit higher.

All spells teach better when you put more mana into them, if they are still in your skill range.

As an aside, magic training needs to be looked into. The symbiosis stop-gap measure does not seem to be a sufficient final solution to me. I still need to put upwards of 75 mana into my (100 mana cap)spells to learn, and it still takes a long time. Compare this to guilds with cyclics for all of their main magic skills, and it's like quadruple the time investment, or more.

Also, cyclics should not have a time period where they don't teach in the beginning. They are consuming mana and concentration, they should teach. I understand why you guys put in the cap on how long they'll teach before you have to recast them, but the initial period of no teaching is frustrating.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:47 PM CST
<<As an aside, magic training needs to be looked into. The symbiosis stop-gap measure does not seem to be a sufficient final solution to me. I still need to put upwards of 75 mana into my (100 mana cap)spells to learn, and it still takes a long time. Compare this to guilds with cyclics for all of their main magic skills, and it's like quadruple the time investment, or more.

I think you're at the point where research is intended to fill the gap in learning. Also, you could try a different symbiosis. From lowest difficulty to highest difficulty: skill boosting symbiosis < chaos symbiosis < stat boosting symbiosis. I do think research would be the better option, however.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 05:49 PM CST
<<No, that's not what I was asking. I was asking if it should be teaching better since it can be cast at 200 mana now. I understand the difference between a basic, advanced, and esoteric spell. And DB is an advanced spell.

The mana range changed, not the skill range so the spell won't teach any higher than it used to but will be less mana efficient for the same training. This is what Grejuva was referring to about mana efficiency in his original announcement.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 06:04 PM CST
>>The mana range changed, not the skill range so the spell won't teach any higher than it used to but will be less mana efficient for the same training. This is what Grejuva was referring to about mana efficiency in his original announcement.

This is much more clearly worded, thanks. So basically a 200 mana cast is teaching me as well as a 100 mana cast of another advanced spell that caps at 100 mana. Gotcha.

>>I think you're at the point where research is intended to fill the gap in learning. Also, you could try a different symbiosis. From lowest difficulty to highest difficulty: skill boosting symbiosis < chaos symbiosis < stat boosting symbiosis. I do think research would be the better option, however.

I'm not spending any spell slots on feats just to learn appropriately. That shouldn't be necessary at all. They were introduced as a, supposedly intermediary stop-gap measure, to help with learning at the high end.

I do use research as well. However, it should be possible to learn with my spells.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 06:27 PM CST

Chaos symbiosis is known by all magic users. After you prep your spell, prior to casting, type prep symb, to ramp up the difficulty. Oh, and use a lot less mana than you typically would, else you'll sizzle them nerves.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 07:11 PM CST
You might also try sorcerous casting using chaos symbiosis. Although that's only going to take care of 3 of your magic circling skills at most.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 08:15 PM CST
I know about chaos symbiosis. I said I wasn't spending slots on others. I already spent slots to memorize gauge flow.

I don't do the sorcerous research anymore. I lost my scroll spells too often.

The thing is, you're all missing the point. Research and symbioses were (from what I remember hearing) introduced as a way to alleviate the difficulty of magic training while they figured out how to fix magic training through actual casting.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/27/2016 08:23 PM CST
I think I misunderstood you. I do use the chaos symbiosis when I train sorcery via scroll spells.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/28/2016 07:34 AM CST
Is DB using single shot or multi shot mechanics?

Mazrian
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/28/2016 07:47 AM CST
I assume it's still using single-strike mechanics because of the long cooldown. BG uses multi-strike mechanics because the shots can be spammed much faster.

Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/28/2016 05:16 PM CST
Going by what I've seen while using it, I'm fairly certain it's using single shot mechanics.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 01/28/2016 07:33 PM CST
Sweet change, the 1 spit per cast my WM was doing before was very unappealing. Now seems pretty nice.
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 02/05/2016 12:39 AM CST
I picked up this spell with minimum spell requirements. I started off being able to cast it at minimum prep (10), which lasted for a minute or less. During that time I can usually spit twice. I'm up to 15 mana now and it lasts for a little bit over two minutes. During that time I can usually spit three times.

Could this spell be adjusted a bit for lower folks? Increasing the duration at the very least. I'm not so concerned with how many spits I get over time, just with the ease of using the spell. Having to recast it constantly on the lower end makes using it a pain. Why wouldn't I just use a TM spell instead? Maybe up the minimum prep and up the base duration?
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 02/05/2016 03:54 AM CST
> I picked up this spell with minimum spell requirements. I started off being able to cast it at minimum prep (10), which lasted for a minute or less. During that time I can usually spit twice. I'm up to 15 mana now and it lasts for a little bit over two minutes. During that time I can usually spit three times.

> Could this spell be adjusted a bit for lower folks? Increasing the duration at the very least. I'm not so concerned with how many spits I get over time, just with the ease of using the spell. Having to recast it constantly on the lower end makes using it a pain. Why wouldn't I just use a TM spell instead? Maybe up the minimum prep and up the base duration?

I definitely get that. I felt that burn a lot coming up. Rimefang was another one whose praises I heard sung but felt lackluster to me. It also gets a lot better with more mana. Chain Lightning, too, I feel only really shines once you've got the juice to toss it out over and over again.

That said, I feel like the cyclics, AoE's, BG, and DB are the more advanced applications of TM. They are good spells ultimately, and if there are any spells that ought to be the ones that only really shine as you advance, I think those are good examples of them. It might be nice to put a warning somewhere in the description of DB, though, about its mana hungriness to warn off people with less skill if it's not going to be adjusted.

- Saragos
Re: Dragon's Breath Updates 02/05/2016 08:22 AM CST
DB and BG are both cast on you and ready to use at that moment. Remember, you can continue to use other TM spells with these loaded. You can increase your damage output by using these with your normal TM spell.

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html