Re: Elemental Domains 06/13/2014 03:05 PM CDT
Neat stuff!

> summon fire domain

You make yourself comfortable and turn your attention inward.
Drawing down extraplanar laws, you attempt to create a fire domain spanning the area.
Discharging a burst of elemental power in the esoteric "direction" of the Elemental Plane of Fire, you carefully draw down subtle lines of power across the Void.
The strands anchor themselves to the ground, infusing the area with an additional, subordinate set of physical laws that make fire magic easier.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
You feel a sudden tingle of heat in your palms.

In Conc:

You sense the physics of the local area are being modified by a fire domain.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/13/2014 05:03 PM CDT
The air around you feels somehow thicker, slightly harder to breathe.
The humidity in the area noticeably increases.
Suddenly the area feels somehow more... stable, in some vaguely felt way.
You feel a sudden tingle of heat in your palms.
Strangely, everything feels a tiny bit heavier.

Drawing down extraplanar laws, you attempt to create a fire domain spanning the area.
Discharging a burst of elemental power in the esoteric "direction" of the Elemental Plane of Fire, you carefully draw down subtle lines of power across the Void.
The new lines of power are small compared to the existing ones, leaving the domain unaffected.

I did a fire domain on top of my previous fire domain, but it said the new lines are too small

*Do they grow stronger as it sits? or was that just its way of saying it's equal/less than the previous domain?
*Seems your alignment affect the ability to make a domain? Fire seemed to use less, and Electricity(my opposite) I was unable to do when full.

You so heavily embody the Elemental Plane of Fire that it already threatens your health. Going any further while in this plane would be fatal.

You turn your perceptions inward, assessing the elemental influences over your body.
You have reached the limits of your body's capacity to store a charge. The laws of the Elemental Plane of Fire scream demands upon your physiology, threatening your life.
Your body is aligned with the Elemental Plane of Fire and opposed to the Elemental Plane of Electricity.

s> summon elec domain
Drawing down extraplanar laws, you attempt to create an electricity domain spanning the area.
As the ritual winds toward its climax, you realize that you do not have the Elemental Charge to create an electricity domain.

Re: Elemental Domains 06/13/2014 05:07 PM CDT
yeah removed my opposite from electricity to be able to get it

A barely felt zap of static electricity accompanies your meditation.

Would you ever be able to domain your opposite alignment? Seems like that'd be a super high summoning skill based thing (943 right now, maybe at 1000?)

Re: Elemental Domains 06/13/2014 05:10 PM CDT
>>*Do they grow stronger as it sits? or was that just its way of saying it's equal/less than the previous domain?

There's a small random element to your effective Summoning score. If your effective Summoning isn't higher than the effective Summoning used to create the domain, you can't change it.

>>*Seems your alignment affect the ability to make a domain? Fire seemed to use less, and Electricity(my opposite) I was unable to do when full.

Yup.

>>Would you ever be able to domain your opposite alignment?

You should be able to with a suitably extreme amount of Stamina.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Elemental Domains 06/13/2014 05:41 PM CDT
nifty, thanks

Re: Elemental Domains 06/13/2014 06:51 PM CDT
Anyone have any data points yet on skill needed? 90 Summoning with 20 Stamina doesn't seem to be enough:

>summon air domain
Drawing down extraplanar laws, you attempt to create an air domain spanning the area.
Try though you may, the ritual seems hopelessly involved.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 12:31 AM CDT

easter egg!!!!!!!!!!!

The strands anchor themselves to the ground, infusing the area with an additional, subordinate set of physical laws that make sorcery easier.
A painful ripping sensation erupts through your abdomen! You seem unharmed, but something terribly... wrong just happened.

frowny face... on this next one....

> summon void domain
Summon allows Warrior Mages to draw down forces from the Elemental Planes. Normally this takes the form of magical creatures, but Warrior Mages can learn to summon subtle and unlocalized expressions of the Elemental Planes' otherworldly physics.
SUMMON ADMITTANCE (Universal)
A meditation that draws Elemental Charge from your aligned plane.
SUMMON <ELEMENT> DOMAIN (Variable)
A ritual that attunes an area to an Elemental Plane, easing spells of the appropriate element.
SUMMON FAMILIAR (Aether)
A ritual that summons an aether elemental to serve as your familiar.
SUMMON IMPEDANCE (Universal)
A meditation that discharges Elemental Charge safely.

blackfire was my second attempt...

my third guess was a whim and worked!!

Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 12:45 AM CDT
you can align to it too!!!

Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 12:53 AM CDT

You sense an elemental domain in the local area, but it doesn't seem to be of any specific element! The feeling leaves you sick to your stomach.

awesome
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 12:53 AM CDT
Wow, that is awesome. Now, what terrible thing did you just bring over?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 01:10 AM CDT
I'm jealous. Someone try summoning this mystery elementless domain inside justice so we can see what the guards think about it.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 01:58 AM CDT
I'm glad I'm not the only one who tried to summon the void.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 03:12 AM CDT
So you can align sorcery? Sad that you can't oppose it.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 06:27 AM CDT
On one hand that easter egg has existed in ALIGN since the elemental charge system came out.

On the other I'm curious what prompted you to try it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 11:10 AM CDT
I have a feeling it might break local justice laws when you force the domain... mostly curious if just being aligned would be enough to trigger it, but I'm not sure that's something others could sense on you. The alignment shift is the same slight waver as the other elements.

yeah, can't make sorcery your opposite alignment... I tried opposite before I aligned to it.

why?
It took me less than a day to try to Summon the void... I'm surprised it even took me that long to try that, almost disappointed in myself I took that long...
how?
I was trying another idea thinking of future hylomorphic magic, and stumbled onto mystery element X on accident (I was actually a letter short when I tried it, but it essentially did what I think I wanted it to do)

When you get it - you'll laugh, slap your head, blink a few times processing it, then laugh some more.

A painful ripping sensation erupts through your abdomen! You seem unharmed, but something terribly... wrong just happened.

Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 11:22 AM CDT
>>I have a feeling it might break local justice laws when you force the domain... mostly curious if just being aligned would be enough to trigger it, but I'm not sure that's something others could sense on you. The alignment shift is the same slight waver as the other elements.

Being aligned to sorcery doesn't break the law in practice, as it's non-observable.

Calling down a sorcery domain is a Forbidden Practices warrant in the making.

-Armifer
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 11:35 AM CDT
Cool, thanks!

So... Are there any more out there? Ones that we can actually align/domain and not just the esoterical theoretical ones.

Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 11:46 AM CDT
Nope, just the elements + the sorcerous one.

-Armifer
Re: Elemental Domains 06/14/2014 02:39 PM CDT
Thanks! Saves me some sadface from constant failure if I would've dabbled more.

I like the potential ideas that it and domains open up.

::Rewrites the definition of 'elements'::

So has anyone else stumbled on it before? I'm still gonna call it mystery element X for now and yell at you kids to stay off my lawn.

Is there any Lore behind it? I think I get it? Maybe?

Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 09:44 AM CDT

So I was sitting at the pavilion at the guild fest and intentionally, accidentally, found the new Domain. Powerhaus was in fact there, as were several other people who were made a bit uncomfortable (lucky for me they do not yet recognize what I did or I might have been burned at the stake.)

But yes I agree completely the potential ideas and possibilities of the domains are quite awesome. Also I cannot wait for what comes of this alignment/domain. I have been intrigued over this side of the elements for a very long time.

And following Powerhaus lead, I will also just refer to it as element X, it sounds like something that though not exclusive to any group or caste needs to stay as quiet as possible for fear of witch hunts and whatnot.

As far as lore I am certain there is some, but I cannot for the life of me find it anymore. So imagine my surprise and the feeling of "duh" I had when I found it.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 10:06 AM CDT
I think there may be a reference to it buried in one of the lore posts I've made over the years, but yes, it's generally intended to be not known yet.

There'll be more information about "element X" as we move more into Hylomorphic Sorcery.

-Armifer
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 10:13 AM CDT
I think the official name should be element x. That way sorcerous mages can feel like supervillains.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 10:14 AM CDT
>>I think the official name should be element x.

This makes me laugh in that wonderful "You think I'm laughing because of Y but I'm actually laughing because of Z." sort of way.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 10:15 AM CDT
> I think the official name should be element x. That way sorcerous mages can feel like supervillains.

Or powerpuff girls.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 10:23 AM CDT
> Or powerpuff girls.

I was hoping nobody would notice that and I could steeple my fingers and laugh when anyone agreed.

Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 11:46 AM CDT
and I was secretly calling myself 'the Professor' for days too...

Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 02:53 PM CDT
If there's a lore post in the future outlining element X I should hope the researcher mentioned within the post has a name that starts with a 'B'... or is called the Professor.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 03:34 PM CDT
Disappointed but not surprised I could cast ether fissure on Element X.

No flare with element X aligned barrage either. But it may be working?
- I thought it might've been hinted at when we discussed the new alignment changes to barrage and analogous versions for future hylomorphic stuff.

Does Domain X hinder all elemental spell casting? Does aether or others hinder X?

The Moonies call domains a planar incursion - I like the sound of that.

Aether domains brings stability, so the world is naturally normally chaotic?
The absence of the elements(the Void) makes sorcery easier, since the random failure in their spell pattern is probably accounted to the random fluxes in mana that exist room to room that's just too tricky to account for.
So remove the influence of whatever planes have on ours and bring 'balance'(lack of random chaos) would be helpful to he sorcerer (Necromancers want the Holy to go away basically?)
So really they just want Order.

Thus Chaos = good for your lifespan

And there's nothing more stable than pure chaos, so lets fill the world with Raw aether.
It'll look so pretty too.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 03:36 PM CDT
Edit button:
Cast eth Fiss on element X did NOT work (was not surprised)

Re: Elemental Domains 06/16/2014 04:10 PM CDT
< Cast eth Fiss on element X did NOT work (was not surprised)

Was going to say, how did you get it to work! With all my messing around I have yet to find anything overly special about element X except I appear to fill the charge a lot quicker. or maybe it's intentional it's not as large as the rest of the elements.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/17/2014 08:51 PM CDT
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:The_Lay_of_the_Elemental_Planes_-_8/11/2010_-_01:41:20

No one knows why, precisely, this is the case. The leading theory is that the Elemental Plane of Electricity is the first of a second "circle" of elements awaiting discovery, bringing the theoretical total number of elements to either 10 or 13, depending on which scheme you use to project the missing elements of a second array. The idea of discovering a new element has filled the dreams of Warrior Mages for thousands of years, since nothing short of the gods themselves could so assuredly immortalize the lucky scholar.

or get his butt kicked by the Lord of the Void for walking on his lawn?

Re: Elemental Domains 06/18/2014 10:36 AM CDT
Want need element "X" ethereal fissure please!

thank you, that is all.

while I type this a question comes to mind, would a fissure of a sorcery element be considered just as bad as the domain justice wise. (please say yes) Not that I would care, I might even eat the consequences from time to time.
Re: Elemental Domains 06/18/2014 10:35 PM CDT
It's a different kind of sorcery, but it'd prolly be weird enough to be illegal- surprised fissures aren't illegal but tingle is.

I wouldn't call mystery element X unnatural, but it's probably not normal.

I think it's caused by an overlap in planes, but we view them as natural forces when they're also states of matter: fire + water = liquid plasma and not steam.

I have a few solid theories for other obvious potential planes, if they work like mystery element X does.