Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 08:35 AM CST

I was playing around on test recently and found that I really don't like what happened to this spell. I have been a heavy plate using war mage for a very long time and this spell is what made that possible. In test my hinderance went up even more.

I decided to go hunting and see how bad it actually affected me. It was hard going and then I put this spell on and noticed absolutely no change in hinderance, protection, or anything at all really.

I understand it's an armor rank buff and will help plenty of light armor war mages out, but this was likely one of my favorite spells and seems fairly useless now. Any chance of it going back to the way it is now?
Re: Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 01:39 PM CST
Per Kodius

<<First, the numbers with no armor skill -

Cloth - 18.5% damage reduction
Leather - 22.5% damage reduction
Chain - 33.0% damage reduction
Brigandine - 43.0% damage reduction
Plate - 47.0% damage reduction

Now, numbers with armor skill over what the enemy's offenses are -

Cloth - 32.8% damage reduction
Leather - 37.8% damage reduction
Chain - 41.2% damage reduction
Brigandine - 51.0% damage reduction
Plate - 58.8% damage reduction>>

As an armor tert, its probably not likely you will be hunting something with armor skill = to the enemies skill(unless under hunting). Keep in mind Kodius numbers fluctuate based off your skill and what you are hunting. That means YS can potentially net you up to 11% damage reduction on a creature you are hunting based off the armor Kodius tested. That seems pretty good for a one slot spell. I also know of at least one warrior mage on test that was hunting just fine in his heavy plate against thumpers, and said he preferred it to hunting in lighter armor, so I doubt heavy plate is suddenly useless to you. Did you actually test this hunting? Can you post some logs?
Re: Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 02:14 PM CST

As one of the WM's who has done a bunch of testing and found my heavier more hindering armor better than lighter stuff, I'm still not impressed with YS.

Testing how long I can survive or not against a critter that has no trouble hitting me (super celps) yielded the following results:

Without YS:

Test 1:
35 hits
1m 58s

Test 2:
47 hits
3m 00s

Test 3:
43 hits
2m 44s

With YS:

Test 1:
43 hits
2m 30s

Test 2:
49 hits
2m 51s

Test 3:
31 hits
1m 44s

Yeah, that's not a huge amount of data... however I'd expect to see SOME noticable difference.

It's possibly I outclass super celps, but seeing as they can still kill me in under two minutes I find it a bit unlikely. This is using the same equipment/stance/etc that I can stand up to juvies for a half hour or more before dying.
Re: Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 02:17 PM CST
Not only is that not a good amount of data, your testing method doesn't seem really applicable.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 02:21 PM CST
Am open to ideas to test it's effects further, that's just the one I came up with after about 10 seconds of thinking. When doing a similar test of light armor vs plate armor, the results were very apparrent as to which was the stronger choice.
Re: Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 02:27 PM CST
I wouldn't worry too much about testing methodologies on this one. We already know it's bad.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Y'ntrel Sechra 12/26/2012 02:47 PM CST
>I wouldn't worry too much about testing methodologies on this one. We already know it's bad.

The test or the spell? Cause I can see both. Armor boosting it just underwhelming to me.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.