Rimefang 12/07/2012 01:44 PM CST
Will rimefang be in 3.0? I love this spell.
Re: Rimefang 12/07/2012 01:48 PM CST
At some point possibly, is the current answer. I believe it will retain a similar method and messaging theme but function a little differently. No exact details and its not written yet. Check DR 3.0 WM folders.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Rimefang 12/07/2012 02:04 PM CST
Last I heard kinda of how it is now-
But a cyclic spell similar to ROS, but faster, melee only, and our other ice damage spell other than frostbite (our only currently).

If you haven't played in test yet, I would assume it'd work like this.

Prep rime 10-30
Cast
Maintain 10-30(or less mana with a feat) mana either from harness, camb, or your raw attunement(another feat).
Gore ensues until you run out of mana(potentially never), or release the spell.

Re: Rimefang 12/09/2012 11:55 PM CST
The thing is we would then have 3 cyclics which pulse and 'hit everything'. Rimefang hitting at melee, RoS hitting at pole or melee + knockback, and FR hitting everything in the room. Surely some scaling can be made in terms of power, but having three cyclics that do very similar things is kind of wasteful. It'd be nice if Rimefang got kagiggered to do something else. Maybe make a reactive shield, similar to Holy Warrior that lashes at whatever hits the Warmie?
Re: Rimefang 12/10/2012 07:46 AM CST
Is it really a concern to have three different spells do different things though? They're different elements, work at different ranges for different purposes, and you can only run one at a given time.

Re: Rimefang 12/11/2012 08:53 AM CST
I dunno if they're different enough, but one of the stated goals of 3.0 was to reduce spell redundancy. Warmies have a number of spells that 'do the same thing', insofar as they are targeted spells that fall in similar power ranges and do some combination of slice, impact, or fire damage, and it means that once you have the next more powerful spell (CL) you just use that.

Creating more redundant spells is probably not on the agenda. I dunno though; maybe RoS will be the pole range knockback puncture damager, FR will be the room AoE fire impact damager, and Rimefang will be the melee range slice cold damager. :shrug:

I think having Rimefang be a reactive shield buff (i.e., not cyclic) would be a good solution.
Re: Rimefang 12/11/2012 12:14 PM CST
As far as I know,

Fire rain stays in the room its cast. which is good for those camped in a nice mana room with swarmy critters.

Rimefang follows the caster from room to room. which is better for those that use hunt or mine.

Please don't change Rimefang

Rehlyn

The not moving room to room with the caster was the main reason I hated/never used Tailwind. Haven't remembered to cast it yet in test to see ifn that's changed.

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 09:35 AM CST
I think Firerain moves with you now. So does RoS.
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 09:37 AM CST
whenever i've used firerain in 3.0, it doesn't move with me. it stops when I leave the room.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 09:55 AM CST
Ah, yeah, you're right; FR creates an in room object that pulses.

In anycase, since you don't have to shape it (I can't actually figure out how to make it hit PCs), recasting the spell is trivial.
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 11:45 AM CST
ok fine, lets go another way..

Rimefang can be cast indoors, underground can Fire Rain now?

Rimefang only hits things at melee which allows the caster to hunt with others without destroying their critters.

Enough of a difference yet?

How about cast in water?

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 01:53 PM CST
I think those differences are similar to comparing Stone Fist to Stone Strike. Yes, there are a couple differences between the two, but they basically amount to the same gyst and spell.
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 02:39 PM CST
SS was better than FOS- FOS is gone now, for now.

FR - outdoors only, fire damage, melee-missle, and ability to cast area. Stationary, one per area.

ROS - on land or indoors, puncture/impact- physical damage, melee or pole. Moves with caster, only one that can automatic fire without the wait for pulse.

Rime - (guessing here) land or water, slice/ice damage, fastest firing. Moves with caster.

Each kind of has its own niche, you could take all 3 or live with none.
Depends on your alignment or RP too.

Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 03:08 PM CST
But being cyclic, you won't be able to have all three up. That's the point; that being cyclic, they become somewhat redundant spells.
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 03:25 PM CST
>>But being cyclic, you won't be able to have all three up. That's the point; that being cyclic, they become somewhat redundant spells.

Then just pick fire rain and move on? The spells are coded, what would be the point in removing them now?
Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 07:24 PM CST
Well, I think i've put my two cents in at this point.

Personally I love the spell and would hate to see it go away. You seem to feel different.

Until a GM weighs in on its fate, going back and forth further prolly won't solve much.

Rehlyn

Re: Rimefang 12/12/2012 08:48 PM CST
>Until a GM weighs in on its fate, going back and forth further prolly won't solve much.

...a GM did weight in. Over in WM 3.0. Before this ever came up...

Re: Rimefang 12/13/2012 03:13 PM CST
It's not in 3.0 right now; unless I'm missing something, we don't know what what Rimefang will be in 3.0.
Re: Rimefang 12/13/2012 03:41 PM CST

>>In anycase, since you don't have to shape it (I can't actually figure out how to make it hit PCs), recasting the spell is trivial.

CAST AREA