Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 08:24 PM CDT
I have read many of the forums, and my understanding is that Sorcery (and I guess whatever else is lacking) will be grandfathered to your current circle. I have a War Mage that is currently 15th circle in game but has enough skills, probably to be at high 20's. Can anyone confirm that the grandfathering applies to literal circle or is related to your ranks. For example, if I plug my exp stats into one of the pre-change circle spreadsheets, I show as being 25th circle. I would hate to have to change my play style, but obviously it would be foolish to lose (so many) ranks, especially on the new skills. I apologize if this has been addressed and I missed it.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 08:30 PM CDT
You will be grandfathered to your current circle, not the circle you might qualify to be. So, in your example, you're going to be grandfathered to circle 15.

I also don't think WMs can use sorcery to circle (I believe it only counts for Necros and MM's?) so you won't be getting it grandfathered anyway.

I doubt my opinion matters, but there's no reason (save perhaps RP) to hold off on circling; the TDPs and ability slots can only help you. And even if it's RP based, you can work around it.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 08:37 PM CDT
Per the GMs, Only 3 guilds can circle on sorcery - MMs, Bards, and Necromancers. Sorcery and Thievery are restricted for WMs. That is, you can learn 'em, but they don't "count" for circle reqs.

GMs have also explicity stated that Sorcery ranks will not be grandfathered, everyone will start from 0.

[Uzmam] "<chat>" "what you seem to not realize is that I'd love for Uzmam to be outed. That way she could have Divult finally apprentice her and I could learn those slips"
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 09:54 PM CDT
<You will be grandfathered to your current circle

That is exactly what I wanted to confirm, thank you for that.

<I doubt my opinion matters

It does, that's why I posted; I will just have to consider other ways to work this. I haven't circled for awhile because Gauthus just never seems to understand me; maybe one of the other guild leaders will be more understanding;)

<GMs have also explicity stated that Sorcery ranks will not be grandfathered

Yes, my mistake, I probably meant Summoning, I do recall that Sorcery is a gray area skill for War Mages.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 09:55 PM CDT
>>GMs have also explicity stated that Sorcery ranks will not be grandfathered, everyone will start from 0.

Since Moon mages have a hard requirement for sorcery for circling purposes, I would assume the "everyone starts at 0" does not apply to them, and it will be grandfathered to their current circle's requirement.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 10:23 PM CDT
>Yes, my mistake, I probably meant Summoning, I do recall that Sorcery is a gray area skill for War Mages.

Summoning, I believe, won't be required at the DR3 release; the GMs wanted a robust system and methods to learn, so it's one of the few guild skills which are not making the release cut. It will be rolled in later, as a requirement, when the GMs have enough ways to learn it that they're comfortable dropping it in. You should be grandfathered up to your current circle in summoning skill (and ONLY summoning skill) at that time.

And if Sorcery is a restricted skill for WMs, you can learn it all you want, but it won't count for any of your magic reqs. It won't penalize you, but you can't use it to circle in any fashion either, is my understanding.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 10:41 PM CDT

Req 1-10 11-30 31-70 71-100 101-150
1st Magic 4 4 5 6 7
2nd Magic 4 4 4 5 6
3rd Magic 3 4 4 5 5
4th Magic 2 3 4 5 5
5th Magic 0 3 3 4 5
6th Magic 0 3 3 4 5
7th Magic 0 0 3 3 4
Astrology 3 4 4 5 6
1st Survival 2 3 3 4 5
2nd Survival 2 3 3 4 4
3rd Survival 2 2 3 3 4
4th Survival 2 2 2 3 3
5th Survival 0 2 2 3 3
1st Lore 2 3 3 4 5
2nd Lore 2 2 3 3 4
3rd Lore 1 2 2 3 3
Scholarship 3 3 3 4 4

<<Since Moon mages have a hard requirement for sorcery for circling purposes, I would assume the "everyone starts at 0" does not apply to them, and it will be grandfathered to their current circle's requirement>>

Even if you say 7 magics, there are 8 <not counting PM since that will be an ur-skill and not used for circling>:

1. Arcana
2. Attunement
3. Augmentation
4. Debilitation
5. TM
6. Utility
7. Warding
8. Sorcery.

So a MM could conceivably circle without Sorcery.

I don't see a hard requirement there.

[Uzmam] "<chat>" "what you seem to not realize is that I'd love for Uzmam to be outed. That way she could have Divult finally apprentice her and I could learn those slips"
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/04/2012 11:59 PM CDT
>>I don't see a hard requirement there.

Hmm, you're right. I must have been remembering the scholarship hard req as sorcery.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/05/2012 12:02 AM CDT

>Hmm, you're right. I must have been remembering the scholarship hard req as sorcery.

Easy enough mistake to make. ::mutters something about scholarship being evil::
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/05/2012 12:03 AM CDT
>>Easy enough mistake to make. ::mutters something about scholarship being evil::

Or maybe it was wishful thinking!
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/05/2012 08:42 AM CDT
>Summoning, I believe, won't be required at the DR3 release; the GMs wanted a robust system and methods to learn, so it's one of the few guild skills which are not making the release cut. It will be rolled in later, as a requirement, when the GMs have enough ways to learn it that they're comfortable dropping it in. You should be grandfathered up to your current circle in summoning skill (and ONLY summoning skill) at that time.

Last I heard Summoning will be released with M3.0 - and grandfathered to circle. So, no circle increase for WMs.

Summoning will be taught by Fams and Pathway use, and the exp award will be tweeked up until the GMs release the other abilities/methods-to-train of Summoning.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/07/2012 03:08 AM CDT
Just to make sure I have this right...

Level Cap will be increased before X3 hits, so those over 150 will still be able to achieve appropriate level before Summoning is grandfathered to level. I know a few WM's this would severely hurt otherwise
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/07/2012 08:27 AM CDT
Sounds right yes.

I was under the impression summoning was not going to make DR3 release because they want a robust system behind it and they don't have it quite yet.

Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/07/2012 01:23 PM CDT
>I was under the impression summoning was not going to make DR3 release because they want a robust system behind it and they don't have it quite yet.

Pretty sure that it is making release, and Familiar use and Aethereal Pathway use will teach it at an artificially inflated rate until the more robust system is released.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/07/2012 02:09 PM CDT
I'll have to go back and read the post but I'm fairly certain in the Magics folder the most recent update indicated that the summoning system was completed for WMs. As previously mentioned, that involves learning from familiars and pathways, with more yet to come post X3 release.

P

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/07/2012 02:11 PM CDT
<<* The Elemental Charge system for Warrior Mages is ready.

Confirmed. Looks like summoning will be ready for X3, cheers.

-P

Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/07/2012 02:58 PM CDT
I sit corrected. Thanks guys. Hard for me to keep up with all the changes right now.

Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/08/2012 12:13 AM CDT
>Confirmed. Looks like summoning will be ready for X3, cheers

Elemental Charge is the power behind our abilities. Our mojo. The system they're talking about being complete is the system where you gain/lose Charge from what element you are attuned to and what spells you cast. It is not a set of abilities to learn Summoning. Our existing abilities (familiars and APs) will teach at an inflated rate until a more fleshed out suite of abilities is released.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/08/2012 12:48 AM CDT
Admittedly, I am under the impression that creating a brand new elemental charge (mojo as you called it) system would be much more complex than converting the AP system that's already coded. Therefore, I would think if the more complex system that will drive APs & familiars has already been created, the rest is downhill or already completed. Perhaps Armifer could provide a more definitive response if he has time.

-P

Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/08/2012 12:44 PM CDT
>Therefore, I would think if the more complex system that will drive APs & familiars has already been created, the rest is downhill or already completed.

We now have a mojo system to power our existing abilities. We have no idea where future abilities are in the Conception/Approval/Coding/QC timeline. Coding an individual ability is probably not super difficult, but getting a system of new abilities takes a lot longer. Since we've heard nothing about a new system of abilities, except it will be the basis for our Utility abilities, I doubt it's super close to release.

Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/15/2012 08:31 AM CDT

I recently just came back and was told about these new skills.

So my question is this...

The offical announcment said thievery will be resticted, so will WMs that like to train such skills not be able to anymore or is that just something not counted into the new requ sets?
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/15/2012 08:45 AM CDT
My understanding is everyone will be able to train anything (excluding some skills that they just don't have means to train - ie: trading, astrology).

The restricted skills are not allowed for leveling, and can't count for your overall (read:Nth) level requirements.
Re: Grandfathering and Circles 04/15/2012 10:07 AM CDT
You will not be able to train other guild-specific skills, even if you theoretically had access to a method.

You can train Thievery all you want, Gauthus just doesn't think it reflects on your WMness and won't consider it for circling requirements.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas